Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden loss of power for 5-10 seconds on 1.8t

1. 06-10-2010 01:52 PM #1
      I know this thread sucks, but it's a common issue and I haven't been able to find a thread with any answer.

Recently my 1.8t GTI has been having an occasional and sporadic total loss of power while on the freeway. Something gives out for 5-10 seconds, all power is lost, I will downshift, attempt to pull over to the side, then it will kick back in and run normally. This is the 3rd time this has happened...

I've heard others having this problem. Is it maybe a fuel pump or boost leak issue? What should I check?

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 jetta GLX/1998 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
      07-11-2010 02:52 PM #2
      I just recently had the same thing happen to me today on my 2003 jetta glx vr6 automatic. I see no one here has replied with a possible problem or solution. so if you come across one, please let me know. I am assuming this will happen again in the near future and would like to nip it in the bud. Thanks.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 2002.5 Jetta 1.8T (gone)
      07-11-2010 02:55 PM #3
      So, does the engine completely die? i.e. RPMs go to 0 and you have to re-start. Or, is it just loss of acceleration and engine runs weird for that time? If it's still running, but badly, could be a coil pack going out.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      00' GLX VR6 GTI (rip) 90' Golf ABA <3
      07-11-2010 02:55 PM #4
      The same thing used to happen in my vr6...the car was wrecked before i ever found out the problem...

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 20th AE GTI, 2013 Passat TDI SEL
      07-29-2010 02:18 PM #5
      i've been having this same problem too. no solution discovered yet. anybody?

Vehicles
      2003 Volkswagen GTi 2.8L 24V VR6
      07-29-2010 04:21 PM #6
      I know when I hit 136 mph on the turnpike in my VR6, the governor kicks in and I lose all power!
      SaintMcManus215
      2003 VW GTi 2.8L 24V VR6
      AEM Cold Air

Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      07-29-2010 06:23 PM #7
      it has happened to my GTI 1.8T as well.
      I'm interested to find what's up.

8. Banned
      Vehicles
      mk4 jetta
      07-29-2010 06:38 PM #8
      if the engine completely loses power (rpms to 0), then you have a serious problem.

if your engine just kinda hits a wall, but still cruises and your rpms stay up, then it could be a bad coil misfire on one of your cylinders. if it happens again, see if you check engine light is blinking. same **** happened to my 03 1.8t last week and sure enough cylinder one misfired. call a VW dealership and see if your car has gone under recall yet. theres one for coil packs and sunroof drain. just made an appt at my dealer for the new coils

Vehicles
      99 mk4 golf 2.0
      07-29-2010 06:39 PM #9
      You know how I know you're a f@g?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMcManus215 View Post
      I know when I hit 136 mph on the turnpike in my VR6, the governor kicks in and I lose all power!

Vehicles
      02' S6 Atlas grey / 02' S6 Silver
      07-30-2010 05:45 PM #10
      Same here. Normal driving, minding my own business and *CLIK* gone. All electrical/ engine gone.
      It's happened 3 or 4 times in a year. Power is back in less than 2 seconds like it never happened.
      Hang on- actually last time it happened I did get the *STOP* in my MFA display. Then, right back to normal.
      I'm pretty good with VCDS and it threw NO codes. I've removed the battery and everything is *mint*.My 1.8t has 73k on it with no problems (except one heated mirror element).
      Whatever.. .. ..

11. 08-15-2010 04:59 PM #11
      I have a 2004 Jetta 2.0 litre. I've had the same problem for over a year. The funny thing is, it only happens when I'm under a quarter tank. I've had it checked by two mechanics, including the dealership. They were been unable to discern the problem. On the dealership's suggestion, I had the plugs changed and the battery replaced, but it didn't make a difference (total of $400 dollars for nothing). My intuition tells me it must some sort of electronic sensing problem gone awry. But there are no error codes so the mechanics have been useless. (Can't do anything with out error codes.) Without throwing more money at the problem, the only thing I can do is keep it above a quarter tank. Argh!

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 20th AE GTI, 2013 Passat TDI SEL
      08-16-2010 03:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MilesDavis View Post
      I have a 2004 Jetta 2.0 litre. I've had the same problem for over a year. The funny thing is, it only happens when I'm under a quarter tank. I've had it checked by two mechanics, including the dealership. They were been unable to discern the problem. On the dealership's suggestion, I had the plugs changed and the battery replaced, but it didn't make a difference (total of $400 dollars for nothing). My intuition tells me it must some sort of electronic sensing problem gone awry. But there are no error codes so the mechanics have been useless. (Can't do anything with out error codes.) Without throwing more money at the problem, the only thing I can do is keep it above a quarter tank. Argh!
      I had the same problem and replaced my fuel pump about a month ago, and havent had any problems since. (crossing fingers) Before I replaced my fuel pump, I noticed that I was hearing some odd noises from where the fuel pump is located (under the rear seat). When I started my car and after I parked it, I would turn off my radio and listen carefully and would hear a not-so-constant pumping noise coming from the pump. Almost as if it were sputtering at times. I also would put my hand on the cover while idling and it was equally as sputtery and it did not give off a constant/consistent hum as I would expect from a pump. After replacement, I've noticed no more acceleration hesitation issues and no weird noises. I figured it would be cheaper to just replace the part (for $160 at mjmautohaus) than to take it to the dealer to have them run around in circles trying to misdiagnose things. Good luck.

13. 01-03-2011 12:56 PM #13
      My girlfriends 2.0 is having the same issue. While on the freeway yesterday @~60mph the power all of a sudden just cut out. This is an auto btw. It was as if she let off the gas. It only lasted a second or two and I didnt really think much of it untill later that night when I was driving it and the same thing happened at 60 again. I gave it a substantial amount of throttle in the process and it seemed to correct itself faster. No CEL or any fuss from the engine. Idles perfect and smoothly. I threw it in neutral right after it happened to see if the idle was kaput but it was perfect. Very weird feeling. I suspect it could be the throttle position switch(not to sure what the actual name is, I come from BMW and ford, old ones, I'm used to throttle cables) the other thing I suspect is also the fuel pump, car only has 76,000 miles and there are no other running issues. Another thing to note however is the fuel was below a quarter tank.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      ..a Volkswagen
      01-03-2011 01:22 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SaintMcManus215 View Post

..that being said, if youre just losing power and the cars on maybe the traction control could be activating for some reason?
      How my car sits right meow

RonBurgundy

15. 01-03-2011 08:03 PM #15
      My girlfriends car doesn't have traction control

16. 01-03-2011 08:18 PM #16
      Clean ur MAF check ur plugs, check for leaks, change fuel filter. and is your clutch bad ?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Ragtop, 1989 s13 driftcar 1912 Willys 6 speed quattro manual, 07 GT3, 09 LP640, S54 swapped R1
      01-03-2011 10:23 PM #17
      bounce it off the rev limiter. should fix everything.
      I spooned eastcoaststeeze in dannybarones bed

Vehicles
      98 GLX
      01-03-2011 10:29 PM #18
      same problem... only happens when im at an 1/8th tank or less. Car will just lose power, occasionally stall, but always starts right back up.

01-03-2011 10:45 PM #19
      Fuel pumps. If you still have electrical power in the car and it's acting like that I'm going to assume it's from a loss of fuel. Fuel pump or the relay/fuse for it.
      BOO WORK HOORAY BEER

20. 01-04-2011 12:14 AM #20
      Okay so this isn't a conning problem then. I was just wondering if there was a solution to a common problem. I will have to do further investigation and see if incant find anything. Thanks

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wagen 2.Slow
      01-04-2011 02:17 AM #21
      have you guys ever looked for a bad ground? fuel filter? clogged injectors? those can cause some of those problems that are "unexplainable"
      Last edited by thtninjather; 01-04-2011 at 02:20 AM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05 GTI
      01-04-2011 02:58 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by JBr0th3rs View Post
      bounce it off the rev limiter. should fix everything.
      Hahaha actualy did that once because I was pissed, and my crackpipe exploded and I lost all my coolant, not to mention that I looked like a compleat jack wagon to whom ever was watching, this is ill advised

23. 01-10-2011 11:47 AM #23
      So this happened again, it only happens when the fuel is low. I am going to check fuel pressure whenever i get a chance. What should it be at for the 2.0? The normal 40-45psi? Or is it different?

Vehicles
      ht02 eulB zzaJ
      01-10-2011 11:53 AM #24
      I'm pretty sure VW uses a drive by wire accelerator, check if yours is disconnected. Its near the left of the intake mani on 1.8t. I had a problem similar, turned out the clip was broken and the connection kept coming loose.
      Quote Originally Posted by zippome View Post
      so who's dick to i have to suck to get some vortex respect?
      Rape The Scene

Buy my BBS RS' PM me for info

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta 2.0L
      05-15-2011 11:36 PM #25
      I've been having the exact same problem with my 2.0 liter Jetta. I will be driving around a steady 65mph on the freeway and all of the sudden the engine loses power, it starts to slow down very gradually but pushing on the accelerator has no effect. Then a couple seconds later it's fine. It only happens when I've been going at 60mph speeds, the last time it occured I was under a quarter tank, but can't remember if I've been under a quarter tank every time it happened. Just replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, water pump and it stll happens. While working on my car discovered that the crappy braided hose for the fuel pressure regulator had split in half, replaced with much better rubber hose hoping problem would stop, but no luck. Will try replacing fuel pump, that's been my gut feeling, but I might look into replacing coil pack since I know those have been an issue.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 GTI, 2011 GTI
      05-16-2011 11:06 PM #26
      I had similar issues, every so often three times in a six month period. Finally one day car went into limp mode while on the freeway (first time it did that) pulled off parked and car would not start (turned over but would not stay). Turns out fuel pump died. Had people I know purchase and install new fuel pump and so far past three months have not had the issue.

My bet is on fuel delivery related. I was at 135,000 when these issues began.

Vehicles
      2003 GLI VR6
      05-16-2011 11:54 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta1226 View Post
      Fuel pumps. If you still have electrical power in the car and it's acting like that I'm going to assume it's from a loss of fuel. Fuel pump or the relay/fuse for it.
      agreed. tune it up and change the fuel pump. should be golden.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 Black
      05-19-2011 02:39 PM #28
      So my 2000 2.0 AEG Jetta does this as well. It might happen on the freeway, where if I do push the clutch in while coasting with no power, the engine RPMs do drop to zero.

Also, now I have some issues starting the car as well. Turns over no problem, but within a second or two, I hear a definite TICK in the area where the relays are, then engine just dies.

I have confirmed that every time the engine cuts out like this, there is a clearly audible TICK/CLICK from the area to the left of the steering column under the headlight switch.

TICK... engine dies. If the fuel pump was just bad, wouldn't that just cause the gas delivery to be erratic? In my case, I get a TICK and the engine immediately loses power and stalls.

Fuel Relay? Thanks.

UPDATE: So disconnected battery and pulled the #409 relay. The pins were a little dirty. I cleaned each pin and reseated firmly. Now car has started every time. I also now hear the fuel pump prime up as it should any time I move the key to the engine running position. We'll see how it goes.
      Last edited by ATPTourFan; 05-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.

29. n00b
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta GL
      08-21-2011 07:45 PM #29
      I am having the same problems with my 2004 Jetta 2.0L Auto without traction control and 111k on it. The car would loose power for a second or feel like it suddenly downshifts at speed then goes back to normal and drives fine. The other that started a month ago is it would die when I take off from the light. This i getting dangerous, because it dies when I take off from a stop or turning at a slow speed. I did a tune up and had the wires and plugs changed, still was doing it. Then had the RPM sensor changed was still doing it. Just had the fuel pump changed right after, didn't change a thing.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 Black
      08-22-2011 09:17 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by KKaveh View Post
      I am having the same problems with my 2004 Jetta 2.0L Auto without traction control and 111k on it. The car would loose power for a second or feel like it suddenly downshifts at speed then goes back to normal and drives fine. The other that started a month ago is it would die when I take off from the light. This i getting dangerous, because it dies when I take off from a stop or turning at a slow speed. I did a tune up and had the wires and plugs changed, still was doing it. Then had the RPM sensor changed was still doing it. Just had the fuel pump changed right after, didn't change a thing.

Did you check your fuel pump relay?

31. 11-02-2011 03:25 PM #31
      Bump.

So i'm assuming it's the fuel pump?

Here's my situation. 2002 1.8t manual jetta with 175k miles. Everything's in check, serviced regularly.

driving on freeway, around 3k rpm, engines warmed, 5th gear. and while i'm driving at constant throttle, all of a sudden, felt like loss of power / brakes barely engaging for about a second or two and then kicks back to normal. Happens once every couple of months. By the way, the RPM's never dropped when this happened.

Replaced fuel filter, no help... checked spark plugs and ignition coils. Fuel pump it is?

Thanks for all the help.

32. 11-17-2011 03:39 PM #32
      I've been having the same problem for months now.

While cruising on the freeway, I will get a sudden loss of power, and it will be a few seconds until the throttle responds, as RPMs drop slowly. It does seem that the engine breaking is more severe than just letting off the gas though, as though no fuel is getting to the engine. At times I have to pull over (without power steering) and turn the ignition off, then restart the car, and it run fine for awhile.

I have noticed that this only happens at low fuel levels, like below 1/4 tank. Also, I can cause it to happen if I have low fuel and go up a steep hill. I have yet to have this problem above 1/2 a tank of fuel.

I thought it was the fuel pump, because of the symptoms and because of the slight buzzing I could hear from the pump; however, I have replaced it already, and the problem persists. I have noticed that the new pump seems to make a slight buzzing noise at times also, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I suppose there is the rare chance that the replacement pump is bad. I checked the fuses, and they're clean as a whistle. Fuel filter was replaced also.

I'd be willing to bet it's a fuel problem, however I'm not sure what part of my system is no good. Hopefully this helps someone, and I hope that we all figure this out sooner rather than never.

33. 11-17-2011 03:59 PM #33
      it always happens right before my coil packs seem to die. fortunately for me I drive a 24v vr6 so I can replace mines individually. has happened twice to me now and a third time, just waiting for that coil pack to die out.

34. 11-18-2011 01:50 PM #34
      I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T with 83,000 miles on it, and I also have this exact problem. I've had it sporadically for the past few years.

I'll be driving on the freeway, and the gas pedal just "stops working", and I start to coast. In the past, the power loss would be for a few seconds, and I would stomp on the gas pedal until I regained power. The other day, though, it went out long enough that I had to pull over.

I've replaced the battery, all four ignition coils, spark plugs, MAF sensor, and I'm about to do the fuel filter, though my gut is telling me that it's the fuel pump. I will also try the relay, based on what one of the posters said here.

Good luck to all, and I hope that we can get to the bottom of this.

Vehicles
      '99 Passat 1.8t
      11-18-2011 01:53 PM #35
      Same thing happened with my '93 2.0...searched searched searched never found the issue...car went to the scrap yard after a while due to rust.

I checked so many grounds on that car it's ridiculous...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast