VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your 80/90/Coupe/Cabrio today ?

66K views 241 replies 41 participants last post by  chc-rado 
#1 ·
Well it was a LONG boring day at work today... so i've been streaming the le mans race to keep me busy... but untill then i had my car in the shop for some little work ive been wanting to do
Ended up fixing my exhaust leak ... the metal doughnut from the DP to the Cat was broken.. put a new one in ! Also removed the air box and swiss chessed it ( mk1 trick ). Got really nice throttle response.. will be better when i put the k&n in... but damn !! does it ever sound mean !!!
Also got my Diff lock switch working !... had to clean the coffee out of it from the PO

#98 ·
I glued up the leather on the shift knob, it was falling appart...
And I polished my cluster. I pulled it out cuz when my headlights are on, the bulb on the left side of speedometer won't come on, however, the right flasher and high beam indicater are on..... I thought the bulb needed a wiggle. nothing helped.... darn :banghead:
If anyone's had that, let me know how you've fixed it....

Also, planning on installing some cheap "rally style" mudflaps. But kinda stuck on how or where to mount it onto...
Anyone got pics?
actually i'mma start another thread on it too.

#99 ·
Got my new snow tires mounted and put on. Other than that, nothing!!! Big Red's been running great! (probably just hexed it. :( )

On my list of things to do this coming weekend is to remove the driver's seat and see if I can't figure out why it doesn't get toasty. We've already tried swapping out the switches (passengers side works great), but no luck.

Also,I think I've tracked down my loud ass rattle...it appears to be my kinda loose bumper cover on the passenger side (some tard side swiped it before I got it, and broke the clips on the bumper).

#100 ·
I've got my rear rotors and some nice raybestos pads! all cleaned and ready to go on once I have the time to!
I'll be trying to loosen my diff fill nut as well. Last time i tried it wouldn't move...

And I got some big mudflaps for trucks, will be trimming them and attemting to mount them one way or another. I might end up building a custom bracket for them, but I would really prefer it if someone has done it before or knows the car better than I do and could guild me in the right direction so I won't be wasting time.

#104 ·
Changed the oil. It's really nice to do regular maintenance stuff instead of rebuilding this and replacing that. :D

I'd like to find a fresh new front bumper for her come spring, since the one that's on there is kinda rough. Now that she's running nice, I'd like to get her looking as pretty as possible (luckily, all the rust is underneath).

Will post pics in the springtime after a good wash and wax!

#106 ·
Tore the front end off the car to do the timing belt and exhaust manifold gaskets. Glad I'm doing both even though the car could be down for week due to time constraints.

IMG_2974 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Might not be able to see it, but the belt has seen better days.

IMG_2968 by TheHarley, on Flickr

Front gasket was blown out and causing a ticking sound. Also having to replace the front and rear top exhaust manifolds studs. Will be glad to have the ticking sound go away.

IMG_2967 by TheHarley, on Flickr

#110 ·
Well I bought my 93 90CS FWD on tuesday night. froze my ass off on the hour ride home. pulled it in the garage. tore out the glovebox and pulled the blower motor. come to find the tumbler fell off of the shaft. got it put back together and now i have heat. then last night I replaced the passenger front shock. talk about a P.I.T.A. and then my gauge cluster lights just went out.

#112 ·
what did i do today? bought my coupes older twin brother who had a hard life on the streets...

so what needs to be fixed?

Here is the "current" list

Wheel bearing
2 window regulators
door cards/handles need attention
a through cleaning
Heater core(currently bypassed)
find out why blue painters tape is holding on the isv
re-key, the key only works in the ignition and apparently there is no door key.
drivers seat needs a make over
new steering wheel, this one is the type you can drive with handcuffs on....

The car actually runs REALLY good, it turns over in half a second, you can tell it doesn't want to die yet.
So over the next few weeks we'll start reconstructing this one... it isn't as nice as the red coupe i found, but it does run and i don't have to swap an engine into it, so that is a plus.

#113 ·
I swapped everything under the timing covers tonight with new replacements and replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets too. Had it disassembled already as seen above. Assembly should be pretty straightforward from here. :D This engine compartment really needs some heavy degreaser love. Too bad it will have to wait until it's warmer out.

img_2980 by TheHarley, on Flickr

img_2981 by TheHarley, on Flickr

#121 ·
Hey,

I have rightclick and i was reading the instructions once before i missplaced them.
I contacted with them, they said they will email me the pdf, but still nothing.

Can you give me some hint what did you do, how did you start, any tricks?
(i have a good mid skill for low volt things)
So please give me some details. (Just dont remember what wire should i cut, etc)

Thank you!

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.