Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ABS/EPC/etc. warning lights

Vehicles
      '13 GTI Wolfsburg, '01 EuroVan MV, '91 Miata
      06-13-2010 12:17 AM #1
      Hi all -

I've been having some dash warning lights come on periodically as of late. I'll be driving and then notice that the ABS or EPC and (/!\) (circle with a triangle and exclamation point) lights will come on. Sometimes the ABS or EPC light will then switch off after 10-20 minutes, but the (/!\) light will stay on until I restart the car.

Restarting it at any time will clear out the fault code. Oh, and the van has ≈66k miles on it (if that matters).

IIRC, this problem may be related to the ignition switch(?) I tried searching but came up with nothing, probably because I suck at searching with the forum software.

Any advice/insight is appreciated.

Vehicles
      2010 tiguan...2011 F150
      06-13-2010 06:16 PM #2
      it might be your brake booster?..found out about a week ago that i need to replace the brake booster then two days later the ABS/ESP came on.....

Vehicles
      06-13-2010 11:10 PM #3
      Did your EV give you any indication that the brake booster was going? Everything feels okay when driving my van.

4. 06-14-2010 09:09 AM #4
      Ignition switch or brake light switch is usually the culprit of these sorts of things.

Vehicles
      2003 EVWK, 2001 EVC
      06-14-2010 09:13 AM #5
      I agree about the brake switch. If you have access to a code reader, a faulty brake switch should show up. Then again, it's about a $20 part that is known to fail, so simple solution is to replace it anyway.

If it's not the brake switch, I'd next take a look at the infamous wire bundle between the front door and the body to look for breaks (pull back rubber boot and unwrap tape to check wires).

Vehicles
      06-14-2010 12:32 PM #6
      Cool, thanks for the tip on the switch, I'll order one up today (only $9 from Europarts-SD). Might as well replace the cheap stuff first...

Vehicles
      09 VW Tiguan SE, 02 VW Eurovan MV, 84 VW Rabbit GTI, 72 VW Super Beetle
      06-14-2010 12:37 PM #7
      break light switch most likely. Changed mine about 2 weeks ago. been fine since. Code was showing on vag-com. By the way i used a switch from a mkiv golf/jetta other than then the 1st set of #s in the part number which designate model, the rest of the # was the same and everything plugs right in. Check your local dealer, $5 and change for the switch @ my local dealer. bought a few last time i was there when my sisters golf brake switch went.

Vehicles
      06-14-2010 03:29 PM #8
      Thanks 84GTIguy, was it easy to replace? I'm a hack. I haven't poked around the van yet to see where it resides.

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      06-14-2010 09:30 PM #9
      A faulty brake switch was the culprit on mine as well.

Vehicles
      2003 EVWK, 2001 EVC
      06-15-2010 10:06 AM #10
      Yeah, it's very easy to replace. I know europarts-sd includes instructions--probably others do, too.
      Unclip electrical connector, twist switch and pull out. Installation is reverse.

Vehicles
      06-15-2010 12:39 PM #11
      Cool, I should have it today - I'll give 'er a whirl tonight. Thanks all!

**Super-easy to install, I spent more time walking into the house to get the key than I did under the dash.
      Last edited by bigfatgeek; 06-15-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 Eurovan MV Weekender
      06-25-2010 03:00 PM #12
      My 2001 EV MV has the ABS light, the (/!\ ) light and the EPC light on; the EPC light comes on and off intermittantly and when it does, the van stalls when at a standstill and a noticable reduction in power occurs if being driven; then, after being driven for a few miles, it will turn off and a noticable increase in power happens.

Could this also be related to the brake switch? I would really love to take care of this issue myself and for little $.

Thanks in advance for any help

Vehicles
      06-27-2010 12:07 AM #13
      My van is noticeably better, I had a local VW shop clear out all of the codes the day after I swapped the brake switch - BUT...

the EPC light came on twice during freeway speed driving the day after the codes were cleared and the check engine light came on while driving it this afternoon. No ABS light though.

Thankfully I don't have to rely on my EV as a daily driver, I'll probably bring it back to the VW shop within the next week or two to have them check it out.

Vehicles
      06-27-2010 12:39 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by bigfatgeek View Post
      My van is noticeably better, I had a local VW shop clear out all of the codes the day after I swapped the brake switch - BUT...

the EPC light came on twice during freeway speed driving the day after the codes were cleared and the check engine light came on while driving it this afternoon. No ABS light though.

Thankfully I don't have to rely on my EV as a daily driver, I'll probably bring it back to the VW shop within the next week or two to have them check it out.
      Mine has the same issue (I replaced my brake switch today) - please let me know what the dealer says...
      pacificbicyclerepair.com blackmarketbikes.com

Vehicles
      06-29-2010 05:27 PM #15
      @BlkMrktMondo - turns out it was the mass airflow sensor that was bad, triggering the check engine light. Just a coincidence that the brake switch was faulty at the same time. Or maybe not a coincidence, aren't these VWs known for electrical gremlins?

It'll be replaced tomorrow.

-Chris

(BTW - it's good to see a fellow bicycle industry member here...)

Vehicles
      07-03-2010 02:49 AM #16
      @BlkMrktMondo - turns out it was the mass airflow sensor that was bad, triggering the check engine light. Just a coincidence that the brake switch was faulty at the same time. Or maybe not a coincidence, aren't these VWs known for electrical gremlins?

It'll be replaced tomorrow.

-Chris

(BTW - it's good to see a fellow bicycle industry member here...)

I replaced my mass flow sensor yesterday (my local dealer had one) and I replaced it myself; Engine light is off; EPC light has yet to come back on (fingers crossed). ABS and (/!\) are still on; so the search continues...

Vehicles
      07-05-2010 09:19 PM #17
      Spend the $8 and buy a replacement brake switch. That should take care of your ABS and (/!\) lights. Good luck!

Vehicles
      2003 EVWK, 2001 EVC
      07-05-2010 09:55 PM #18
      Check fuse 14 in the main panel by your left knee. That's the fuse for the ABS controller. If blown, next thing to check is the wire bundle between driver door and body. Pull back rubber boot and start removing the black tape. Look for wire breaks.

A VAG-COM or equivalent code reader scan should also give you more clues. A generic OBD-II code reader will probably not help troubleshoot the ABS problems.

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 02:07 AM #19
      Spend the $8 and buy a replacement brake switch. That should take care of your ABS and (/!\) lights. Good luck!
      I did that already to no avail...

Quote Originally Posted by chendermi View Post
      Check fuse 14 in the main panel by your left knee. That's the fuse for the ABS controller. If blown, next thing to check is the wire bundle between driver door and body. Pull back rubber boot and start removing the black tape. Look for wire breaks.

A VAG-COM or equivalent code reader scan should also give you more clues. A generic OBD-II code reader will probably not help troubleshoot the ABS problems.
      Hmmm....I'll do just that; thank you!

20. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 Euro MV
      06-01-2012 03:25 PM #20
      What's the name of the part/product # did you order? I'm experiencing the same thing. Thanks

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 10:13 PM #21
      MagicBus - here's a link to the brake light switch I ordered:

http://store.europarts-sd.com/switch...2001-2003.aspx

If you need a mass airflow sensor, here's the link for that:

http://store.europarts-sd.com/airmas...2001-2003.aspx

Hope this helps.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Eurovan (T4) GLS, 2002 Saturn SL1
      12-30-2012 11:45 AM #22
      These same things all happened at the same time. The last week of november, the ABS light came on. Last night, I started getting all three lights, and while the EPC light was on, very low revving and idle.

EPC means the Mass airflow sensor's bad then, from what I have read in this thread?

(2003 GLS)

Vehicles
      12-30-2012 07:38 PM #23
      @Jalendragon - That was the case for me, since the mass airflow sensor was replaced a few years ago, the van has been trouble-free.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01-09-2013 05:07 PM #24
      Well, I had found that my intake hose had cracked, so I thought that was the problem. Having repaired it, I'm still having the problem, Rough idle, misfires, and the EPC code with the check engine light.

Could the MAF gone bad at the same time the air hose cracked?

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2013 09:28 AM #25
      So I pulled the codes.

P0102
      P0172
      P0300
      P0302
      P0304

The first two are the only ones that really matter, the last three are all missfires due to the fuel/air mix. MAF circuit low input and Running rich Bank 1.

Now, here's the oddities. I decided to clear the codes and start it up to see what actually came across again. And... no codes. No hesitation, no misfires. Other than a very slight whine and a slight smell of epoxy when the air system came on, I don't have any issues.

My question now is, do I still replace the MAF just to be sure, or just clean it?