Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MKIV Ignition Coil Wiring Harness Replacement ---- DIY

1. 10-25-2010 02:02 AM #26
      I decided to rewire my coilpack harness and everything went smoothly and i got all the connectors in the right spot and under the right number and my car starts and runs smoothly but the when i push the gas nothing happens and i cant seem to figure out where i went wrong. Please help!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T
      10-25-2010 06:51 AM #27
      Just curious, as to why you would want to replace this harness?

Vehicles
      01' 3.2L 24V 4dr Golf GLS
      10-25-2010 09:44 AM #28
      The ground wire becomes brittle over time. The insulation becomes cracked. It will cause random miss fires. Take a look at some of the pictures you will see the broken and cracked wire.

After I replaced mine it made a 100% difference. For now VW's answer is to replace just the coil packs, it won't solve the random miss fire problems. However there is a TSB on the coil wiring harness.

4. 10-25-2010 01:15 PM #29
      So you dont have any info or suggestion for me for my question?

5. 10-25-2010 01:16 PM #30
      oh and the epc light came on after i did this also

Vehicles
      2001/Volkswagen/Wolfsburg Jetta
      10-27-2010 11:23 AM #31
      First off, thanks for putting together this DIY. It was without a doubt helpful in my efforts. However, I have a word of caution for all of those thinking of undergoing this replacement;

Get the Schwaben toolset (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ronic/ES11414/) for removing the terminal pins from the connector housings. It will make your life much easier.

Without it I would suggest throwing yourself down a flight of stairs first before trying to use the "saftey pin" method. Chances are you'll end up breaking things like I did. As a result of my attempts I'm now buying a new connector housing, new terminals, and soldering them. Chances are you'll end up breaking things like I did.

Vehicles
      10-27-2010 11:30 AM #32
      Oh, and if anyone should need the 14-pin male connector

the part number is : 1J0973837

Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t GLS
      10-27-2010 01:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by hidalgo13 View Post
      I decided to rewire my coilpack harness and everything went smoothly and i got all the connectors in the right spot and under the right number and my car starts and runs smoothly but the when i push the gas nothing happens and i cant seem to figure out where i went wrong. Please help!
      so the car will turn on but when the gas pedal doesnt open the throttle at all? Sorry for the late response been really busy this semester.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t GLS
      10-27-2010 01:11 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by pmaseVW View Post
      First off, thanks for putting together this DIY. It was without a doubt helpful in my efforts. However, I have a word of caution for all of those thinking of undergoing this replacement;

Get the Schwaben toolset (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ronic/ES11414/) for removing the terminal pins from the connector housings. It will make your life much easier.

Without it I would suggest throwing yourself down a flight of stairs first before trying to use the "saftey pin" method. Chances are you'll end up breaking things like I did. As a result of my attempts I'm now buying a new connector housing, new terminals, and soldering them. Chances are you'll end up breaking things like I did.
      I am very sorry to here that you had such trouble. The only thing I can say is yes either invest in the kit or be very very patient in your removal of the pins. It seriously took me a couple hours of tinkering with the three pins needed on the 14-pin connector. I just worked very slowly and tried not to get too frustrated. Again I am very sorry to hear you had so much trouble.

Vehicles
      10-27-2010 02:09 PM #35
      At the time ECS was out of that schwaben set. I really wish I did have it. It took me some time to pull the pins. and yes w/o those tools it is a PITA. Just takes patience.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8t
      10-27-2010 06:27 PM #36
      Is your EPC warning light on?
      Bob Lee
      2002 GTI 1.8t 252,000+ miles
      VCDS 15.7.0 with KEY-USB interface

Vehicles
      10-27-2010 08:45 PM #37
      I definitely understand the needed patience component. 12 hours of tinkering with pins is patience; why did VW feel it was necessary to have two barbs on each pin, rather than one?

oh well, after tomorrow I should have it all wrapped up.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t GLS
      10-27-2010 08:53 PM #38
      it sounds like a throttle body problem to me.....

14. 10-30-2010 03:16 AM #39
      I think i might have possible figured out where i went wrong but i will have to let you know tomorrow but pretty much the car was turning on starting up and idling fine, didn't start up today when i tried but when it did it would idle and then no throttle response at all

Vehicles
      10-30-2010 08:07 AM #40
      My crank position sensor caused similar problems

Vehicles
      10-31-2010 11:37 PM #41
      If you end up in my shoes, heres some info on what to do.

I obtained from my local dealer some wired terminals, both small and large. I used these to splice into the existing wires I cut from the connector (since I couldn't release the pins). Make sure you have a good handle on soldering before you try this.

First start by stripping the insulation from the wires to be spliced together. Make you sure you slip some heat shrink wrap over one wire before you solder them:

Next you want to solder the wires, make sure its a good clean solder and you don't have excess raosin glopped all over:

Then slip the heat shrink over so there isn't any copper wire exposed. Use your girlfriend's hair dryer to heat ( I used 1/8 inch dia.):

Afterwards I wrapped all the wires, put everything back in its' right place...ignition go, and no more misfires! Good to get my dub back on the road

Vehicles
      2000 Mk4 1.8t GTI
      01-24-2011 04:32 PM #42
      Yea wat a great write up!

It was a lot easier for me than i thought! The only problem i had was getting the damn pins out of course. I ended up getting some sewing needles and hammering them down then it was a breeze!!

My coil-pack wires were so messed up and the misfires were just ridiculous. It took me probably 35 hours to complete(have a 1 month old child, it's cold and gets dark fast) and now my car runs so smooth.

Thanks a bunch for this DIY

love it

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      03-06-2011 12:09 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by swishersweets59 View Post
      hope it helps out. let me know if you have any questions when you do yours.
      I am removing my coilpack harness and encountered some problems, from what I see in your DIY, I assume you did it on manual transmission, I have a auto transmission and my harness came from ECS Tuning and looks like manual, even the numbered pins do not match with numbers on connectors, is there anyway that this harness can still be used?
      I have 2 extra connectors on the harness that I don't need, I found a very small wire that separate from the harness and probably goes to crank speed sensor( not sure yet as I haven't followed it all the way) my new harness at the end has 8 wires, the old one looks like has one wire less I am trying to post some pictures.
      http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1299430594
      http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1299430755
      http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1299430885
      http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1299431023
      http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1299431120

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1299431224

Absolutely the old harness needed to go.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      03-06-2011 12:36 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Balomo41 View Post
      I am removing my coilpack harness and encountered some problems, from what I see in your DIY, I assume you did it on manual transmission, I have a auto transmission and my harness came from ECS Tuning and looks like manual, even the numbered pins do not match with numbers on connectors, is there anyway that this harness can still be used?
      I have 2 extra connectors on the harness that I don't need, I found a very small wire that separate from the harness and probably goes to crank speed sensor( not sure yet as I haven't followed it all the way) my new harness at the end has 8 wires, the old one looks like has one wire less I am trying to post some pictures.
      This.

I've got the same deal (5sp Tip + harness 1J0971658L from ECS) and I've been holding off installing it for the same reason. If you get it sorted out or hear anything, shoot me a message...I'd appreciate it.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t GLS
      03-06-2011 01:22 PM #45
      I have 2 extra connectors on the harness that I don't need, I found a very small wire that separate from the harness and probably goes to crank speed sensor( not sure yet as I haven't followed it all the way) my new harness at the end has 8 wires, the old one looks like has one wire less.
      Yes you use the same harness for the automatic as you do for the manual, you just have to make a few modifications before you do the install. I will add this to the DIY as soon as I can but here are the additional steps you must take.

If you have an automatic 2002 1.8t you will not need the speed sensor connector and you need to cut and tape back the wire where it branches out from the rest of the harness. In addition, you will not need pins 2 and 3 that go to the 14-pin connector located on the wall next to the battery. Again cut these and tape them back as you see fit.

You will only need to replace pin 7 on the 14-pin connector. (Which is why you cut off pins 2 and 3)

Those should be the only differences. Now the 2001 automatic transmission is different. If you have an 01' let me know and I can make sure you are doing that right as well.

Again I will add this to the complete DIY as soon as I can.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      03-06-2011 01:56 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by swishersweets59 View Post
      Yes you use the same harness for the automatic as you do for the manual, you just have to make a few modifications before you do the install. I will add this to the DIY as soon as I can but here are the additional steps you must take.

If you have an automatic 2002 1.8t you will not need the speed sensor connector and you need to cut and tape back the wire where it branches out from the rest of the harness. In addition, you will not need pins 2 and 3 that go to the 14-pin connector located on the wall next to the battery. Again cut these and tape them back as you see fit.

You will only need to replace pin 7 on the 14-pin connector. (Which is why you cut off pins 2 and 3)

Those should be the only differences. Now the 2001 automatic transmission is different. If you have an 01' let me know and I can make sure you are doing that right as well.

Again I will add this to the complete DIY as soon as I can.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
      what about the other end that goes to ECU that numbers do not match? could I just follow colrs of wires and assume that they will match and some are a bit diferent color?

Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t GLS
      03-06-2011 02:19 PM #47
      You should have to change pins 94, 95, 102, 103, 121 on the ECU. What pins were your original harness connected to?
      Last edited by swishersweets59; 03-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      03-06-2011 06:10 PM #48
      I have 2002 auto, I figured it out, on the ECU end the pins split into two diferent connectors, one black and the other white, those are pins 94 and 95 go in one conector, 102 and 103 go in onether conector, and then pin 121 goes in the big black conector. had no trubles extracting them except for the pin 7 ground wire that I had to solder to the original one.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t GLS
      03-06-2011 06:23 PM #49
      I have 2002 auto, I figured it out, on the ECU end the pins split into two diferent connectors, one black and the other white, those are pins 94 and 95 go in one conector, 102 and 103 go in onether conector, and then pin 121 goes in the big black conector. had no trubles extracting them except for the pin 7 ground wire that I had to solder to the original one.
      Good to hear! Glad you were able to figure it out.

Vehicles
      13' Scirocco R, 01' Jetta s256
      03-12-2011 10:19 PM #50
      I'm about to attempt this in a few days, any thoughts before I do it? Read your whole write-up, great stuff man, I feel pretty confident having this and VW's mechnic install documentation on this. I've been having misfire issues forEVER, and when the crazy hesitation/misfire's started happening under partial throttle, I knew it was time.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast