Good thread and it is cool to see you getting acquainted with your "new" bike. It looks like a late-70's CB750ss from the side view.
I am getting ready for a Father's Day ride this weekend with a bunch of my old fart dual-sport guys. We are leaving on Friday at noon from Phoenix and riding up to an area just South of the South Rim called Strawberry; the ride is about 100 miles on the road each way and about 20 miles to get out and go camping. Saturday mid-morning we will take about a 50 mile dirt ride, return back to the campsite and then go home from there.
My bike is a 2009 Kawasaki KLR650 with some basic farkles like the cheap carb mods, modified factory exhaust system, custom seat, PD crash bars and skid plates from happy-trail.com and a new "doohickey" (timing chain tensioner and related hardware) along with some new stuff I just did listed below this weekend.
I have been just doing the simple things in the past year to my new bike so as I had a few weeks between events I took the liberty of buying a new set of tires to replace my 7,000 mile-worn knobbies. I have read good things about Shinko tires so I bought a set of Shinko 705's which are a 50/50 road/dirt tire that are pretty reasonably priced. I bought them locally along with a new Harbor Freight bike lift (one of those hydraulic dealies that is normally $399 marked-down to $279) so I took the place my wheels only for a day. The total cost for everything was about $139 with mounting and balancing so I am anxious to see how they perform compared to the stock Dunlops.
While the wheels were off I took the time to do the following things:
1) Pull off the front forks and install a pair of Ricor Shocks front fork cartridge damping emulators along with new seals and cutting the spacer to fit the emulators. I also replaced the shock oil with Amsoil 5w fork oil.
2) I pulled apart the steering head assembly and fitted the two bearings with a Zerks fitting and re-greased both and checked the tension to make sure it was properly done.
3) I re-greased the front wheel bearings and re-installed the front wheel.
4) I pulled apart the rear swing-arm and Zerked that one too and lubed up all of the bearing points.
5) While I was in there I replaced the factory rear shock with a Ricor model with their Inertia Active System( http://store.ricorshocks.com/) and adjusted the sag, etc..
6) I removed the chain while the rear wheel was off and cleaned it and put it back on the bike. I then put the back wheel on, set the chain tension and squared it off and then lubed the chain.
7) The fun part of the weekend was spent upgrading the subframe support bolts. The ones that come on the KLR are notoriously weak and if you are doing any off-roading with a load they are known to snap. This involves drilling a pilot hole with a hardened bit straight through a top-section of the frame and then widening it to fit the larger subframe bolt along with a spacer that reinforces the spot a bit more. Then you replace the lower bolts and apply red loctite to all involved.
8) Just tonight I changed my oil and filter and installed my 7/8" handlebar risers and took it out for a spin. Tomorrow I have a casual day at work and plan on riding it in just to get some miles on it before my trip.
I apologize for no pictures to share but just close your eyes and... imagine.