Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Cap to Engine warning light

1. 06-15-2010 10:59 AM #1
      My gas cap warning light came on this morning, I thought I would fill the car in case the cap is loose. After the car was refulled to the max, the car just started, spluttered for a few seconds as if it was going to stall, then after a quick rev it ran fine to the office. The gas cap light went out, but just before I got to work the check engine light has come on.

Is this a sensor breaking down or something serious?? I only have 16k miles

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      06-15-2010 11:59 AM #2
      Had the identical process happen on Saturday morning. While on my way to fuel up my gas cap light came on, then after fuel up same thing. Start up rumble then it died, but everything was fine after the second start up and has been good since. If it gets persistent I will take it in. 23k mile.

Vehicles
      '04 R32T . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . '95 90 Quattro Sport . . . . . . . . '00 Miata LS
      06-15-2010 02:19 PM #3
      bork
      ぼき 母気 boki-san
      the original summit to plummet to summit tripper
      world R32 record holder for high altitude, low altitude, maximum trip altitude delta
      member of usfra bonneville 130mph mile club

Vehicles
      '04 R32T . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . '95 90 Quattro Sport . . . . . . . . '00 Miata LS
      06-15-2010 02:22 PM #4
      bork bork bork
      ぼき 母気 boki-san
      world R32 record holder for high altitude, low altitude, maximum trip altitude delta

Vehicles
      06-15-2010 02:24 PM #5
      bork bork

ぼき 母気 boki-san

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      06-15-2010 02:56 PM #6
      Looks like the Enterprise has the capacitor cap issue also, KAHN!!!

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      06-15-2010 02:58 PM #7
      Have either of you had the gas tank recall done?

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      06-15-2010 03:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Have either of you had the gas tank recall done?
      Yes I have, almost a year ago with no issues. I am not sure why this little glitch happened but I haven't seen any ill effects from it or performance loss.

9. 06-15-2010 04:02 PM #9
      Me too, I had the recall done September (or there abouts) last year, since then the fuel pump needed replacing in January. I don't think this is associated with the gas tank recall......If two of us have this problem, there must be others??????????

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      06-15-2010 07:14 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hemming View Post
      Me too, I had the recall done September (or there abouts) last year, since then the fuel pump needed replacing in January. I don't think this is associated with the gas tank recall......If two of us have this problem, there must be others??????????
      I haven't had a check engine light so for now I am going to rule out any codes being stored in the system. But if it happens again I am going to take it down to the service center and get it checked. Until then I will keep motoring on.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      06-15-2010 07:16 PM #11
      bork indeed.

12. 06-17-2010 03:40 PM #12
      With so many Borks I may have to trade the car :-)

Vehicles
      06-17-2010 03:55 PM #13

14. 06-20-2010 01:01 PM #14
      I've had this happen as well, and have also had the gas tank recall performed.

I notified my tech at the dealership during the mechatronics unit replacement that the gas cap indicator will come on, sometimes followed by a check engine light. He responded with, "oh yea that will happen, it should reset after 5 or so cycles.... let's keep an eye on it"

Either the gas cap seal is allowing a vacuum problem ( i hear the sensors are extremely sensitive ) --- but the techs' said they tested the gas cap with no problems found.... OR there is some issue with the fuel evap system allowing for a leak elsewhere...

Sometimes I drive weeks at a time with no lights on... but this typically occurs after a fuel up. Also maybe related, after every single fuel up the car will sputter when starting at the station.. I have to give it a bit of gas that time and it is fine until the next fuel up.

Vehicles
      VR6 Golf
      06-20-2010 08:03 PM #15
      The sputter you guys are talk about happens to me in the opposite way. everything that I need gas the car has a hard time starting up and after a fresh full tank it will start up perfectly. I think this has to do with the fuel pump cycling the fuel.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      06-21-2010 12:54 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by boki-san View Post
      bork bork

Star Trek Enterprise!!! Sweet!!!

17. 06-23-2010 10:23 PM #17
      this is the best anyone has on this topic? Why does the information out here seem incomplete??

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      Mk5 R32
      06-23-2010 10:49 PM #18
      Just this morning had the gas cap warning light come on. Left car running, opened and resealed gas cap, light still on. Turned off, then on engine and went away.

Vehicles
      06-24-2010 11:34 AM #19
      Wehrmacht what info are you looking for? tighten your gas cap.

it should go away shortly.

if not, you have a faulty gas cap and or need to bring it in for further inspection. if your car is still stuttering after the recall.. you need to bring it in.. it needs attention.

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      06-24-2010 03:38 PM #20
      I have had 2 gas caps replaced and the recall done, and still get the Cap-light to check engine, then clears on it's own. My cap light came on Monday, and I took a trip to the dealer and a small leak has been detected, that is the code reading.

Now where is the leak? my friend and I are working on it, which means I am going to throw my own money at it, and if I find the remedy VW WILL reimburse me on a warranty issue and I can pass the fix on to the forum.

21. 06-24-2010 04:07 PM #21
      I recently had the gas cap replaced - it was loose and could not be tightned. I placed a soft sponge between the cap and filler door. Thick enough to keep pressure on the cap when the filler door was closed. This corrected the problem (light went off) until I found time to go to the dealer for repair. A simple way to find out if it indeed your cap

Cheers

22. 06-24-2010 07:27 PM #22
      Within 5 mins after starting the car in the morning I would get the gas cap & check engine warning light. The only way I could get rid of the check engine light was to fill up the tank and the light would go away. Just loosening the gas cap and then retightening it wouldn't get rid of the light.

When I took it into the dealer it was found to be the Evap Purge Valve. This is what was on my repair order: During inspection traced fault code P0456 tank ventilation system leak detected. Performed smoke test and verified leak from the purge valve; replaced listed part as needed. Rechecked and road tested OK now.

All this occurred after I had done the gas tank recall. I haven't had a faulty warning light since this last repair.

23. 06-26-2010 11:14 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      Wehrmacht what info are you looking for? tighten your gas cap.

it should go away shortly.

if not, you have a faulty gas cap and or need to bring it in for further inspection. if your car is still stuttering after the recall.. you need to bring it in.. it needs attention.

You must take me for an automotive-idiot... the issue is clearly not so simple. I know how to rebuild top ends of straight 6 BMW's, let alone screw in a damn fuel cap. Thanks for a value adding response...

24. 06-26-2010 11:18 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
      Within 5 mins after starting the car in the morning I would get the gas cap & check engine warning light. The only way I could get rid of the check engine light was to fill up the tank and the light would go away. Just loosening the gas cap and then retightening it wouldn't get rid of the light.

When I took it into the dealer it was found to be the Evap Purge Valve. This is what was on my repair order: During inspection traced fault code P0456 tank ventilation system leak detected. Performed smoke test and verified leak from the purge valve; replaced listed part as needed. Rechecked and road tested OK now.

All this occurred after I had done the gas tank recall. I haven't had a faulty warning light since this last repair.
      Thanks Drew... I'll look into that.

Vehicles
      06-28-2010 07:30 PM #25
      whatever your name is, I think you took this the wrong way.. or my text is not as eloquent as I would imagine..

I was only trying to help the gas cap issue has been around for years... and screwing it in helps.

and yes, the issue is that simple.

good luck with your ventures sir
      Last edited by abeR; 06-28-2010 at 07:54 PM.

26. 06-30-2010 05:25 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post

How's your car since the repair? My car is out of warranty, so I don't want to pay for this valve if it doesn't work.

27. 06-30-2010 10:48 PM #27
      How's your car since the repair? My car is out of warranty, so I don't want to pay for this valve if it doesn't work.
      I've had no fault lights since the repair and that was done 11 months ago. Here's the repair order in case there are part numbers that are useful.

28. 07-01-2010 05:46 PM #28
      Thank you for scanning this, that's very helpful. Do you remember how long the valve took to fit?

29. 07-01-2010 10:19 PM #29
      Thank you for scanning this, that's very helpful. Do you remember how long the valve took to fit?
      Into service in the morning, out by end of the day.

Vehicles
      2008/VW/R32 DBP
      08-09-2010 08:45 PM #30
      Hey this started last week on mine. The cap light came on twice last week, reset the cap, it went away. Then this a.m. driving to work I got the check engine light. I called the dealer and asked if the recall for the tank was done? He said that It was done 6/2009. I don't over fill so I can see the problem being the cap. I'll get them to look at the Evaporator Purge valve so they don't just reset it and make me come back in a week later and kick..Is this common or just a fluke?

Vehicles
      2008/VW/R32 DBP
      08-12-2010 06:50 PM #31
      Well the stealer says the problem is bad cap, Oh BUT one problem, we don't have one in stock. You don't stock much do you. Oh gee, what should I do? Just drive it, if the light comes on again, we'll reset it. We'll call you, you bring it back to us, when the cap comes in...moron.
      I have a " theory" the cost of the repair is directly inverse to whom is paying the bill. If the dealer/VW is covering it, the fix is the cheapest part possible...if the customer is paying, ergo, the most costly and probably the right fix is applied. Also, Our time is valueless... their time, a parallel universe of forever to fix it .
      The reason I bought this car is to make the dealers life as miserable as he makes mine, everytime I come in for CEL.

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      08-12-2010 06:59 PM #32
      I went through 3 caps, so they can eat it with the cap theory. It is the purge, take that work order posted above to your dealer and tell them this is what has been fixed on other MKV R32 to resolve the small leak issue, it is not the cap. If that doesn't work go to another dealer.

This is why VW is putting a high out-put 2.0T in the GOLF R, 3.2 scare's today's technicians.

Good Luck, you should be enjoying your R.

Vehicles
      08-12-2010 06:59 PM #33
      so the dealer does not have another gas cap anywhere on the lot.

right.

your getting frucked. its a recall, they have to do the service..

who has the .pdf for this guy? anybody?

Vehicles
      2008/VW/R32 DBP
      08-15-2010 09:23 PM #34
      Well the dealer/service rep. said the part will be in Fri. "we'll call you". Right and you care. I call you saturday and ask if my cap came in? Yes it is....So I can stop by and get the cap "installed"? No we need time to reset codes and refire the hydutinator.....zzzzz. It's a gas cap or is this the flux capacitor and I need a tech to reset it. I must truely own a ROCKET because it takes an engineer to put a cap on!? Igot to call the other service guy on Mon. Why come in again? I don't have any lights soooo we don't need to do anything, but put a cap on or is their something else? The first service appt., car returned no paperwork... yet, I signed a release at drop off. Where's the service report of what you did? No code?Did you do anything other than reset the light? Are all customer treated like were dumb as dirt and only the service guy is smart enough to see the problem?Don't they know I'm smart enough to search forums like Vortex. MORONS

Vehicles
      08-16-2010 03:18 PM #35
      dude have a coke and a smile and go to another dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast