Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sixth Generation Volkswagen Jetta Debuts - Official Pics!

Hybrid View

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Volkswagen GTI, 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup
      06-15-2010 11:31 AM #1

Today marks a big day in the world of Volkswagen, with the announcement of the next Jetta, available to the U.S. market in October. The sixth generation of Volkswagen's smaller sedan has seen some major changes from previous generations, most notably the fact that it no longer shares a platform with the Golf, as all five previous versions have.

The Jetta VI has grown over three inches in length when compared to the previous version, with 2.6 of those inches being realized as additional rear legroom. The base models (S and SE) will also see the return of the two-liter four-cylinder from the fourth-genereation car, but the 2.5-liter five-cylinder will be available on those trim levels, as well as the SEL. If you're a fan of the two-liter turbocharged engine seen elsewhere in the range, you'll have to hold out for the GLI model, which won't be available until next year. The GLI will also afford you multilink rear suspension, as well as an expected appearance upgrade.

The new Jetta is also priced much more aggressively, starting at around $16,000. Check here for pictures.

Hey All - So I just got back from Volkswagen's very big public debut of the new Jetta VI in Times Square, New York. VW pulled out all the stops setting up beach chairs, umbrellas, sand, grass, a stage, loads of lighting and more to turn Times Square into a beach party of sorts. Katy Perry also performed at the event singing three of her hit songs and taking a few minutes to mug for photos. Photos from the NYC introduction can be found HERE.

At the center of it is the all-new Jetta VI. The new car looks better in person than in photos, has nice proportions and a very clean look to it. We're almost inclined to say a "safe" look to it since it is a departure from the hotly debated Jetta V look, but each generation of the Jetta always seems to need some time to soak in a bit. Plus we're still waiting to see the GLI model which is the version most of us are waiting for.

We had a chance to sit in the car and rear seat legroom is up a whopping 2.5 inches giving the rear seat area a LOT of extra room. Most everything else on the interior seems familiar and right, however we noticed that a few of VW's hallmark soft touch materials have given way to harder plastics. Overall it is still great cabin that looks detailed and upscale, but if there was some cost cutting to get the new price point, some of the dash plastics reflect this. The trunk area also looks a bit spartan with exposed trunk hinges and fasteners that we haven't seen in a VW product in a long time. Oh and the MK4 generation 4WD ride height is back again. That covers the complaints.

Overall the car still has an upscale look to it. Opening and closing doors still gives that reassuring thunk that we expect in modern VW's. Seat materials are still top notch and the headliner is still the familiar nicer weaves used in recent models (as opposed to that horrible mouse felt stuff you see in other products). Switch gear is the same as all other modern VW's with a few new twists like push button start, a new RNS310 nav system option, tweeters in the A-pillars and more. Gauges are more spartan and look like they may have been borrowed from the new Polo. VW has overall treaded a fine line between taking too much out yet still making it feel like a proper German car. Overall everything looks and feels (with a few minor exceptions) like a proper sequel to the current Jetta V despite the drop in price. We'll know for sure when we drive it next month.

Since the new Jetta won't go on sale till September/October later this year, there are some details that haven't been announced - final pricing, fuel economy figures and more. However you can expect a base price for the bargain-basement shopper of around $14,995 with a decently equipped version for around $16,000 - a nice price drop. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to get answers. - Jamie

2. 06-15-2010 11:42 AM #2
      Very nice...

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6, 2002 GTI 1.8T (sisters)
      06-15-2010 11:45 AM #3
      its ok, cant wait to see the GLI

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 R32, 2001 Jetta 1.8T
      06-15-2010 11:49 AM #4
      Huh, dunno if I care too much for the view of the front as seen head on. Looks decent from the other angles though. The interior shots looked promising but where's the full on photos?

Still can't believe they've brought back the 2.slow. Does that mean we might see the same engine showing up in the Golf VI?

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta 1.8t
      06-15-2010 05:29 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Turbo View Post
      Huh, dunno if I care too much for the view of the front as seen head on. Looks decent from the other angles though. The interior shots looked promising but where's the full on photos?

Still can't believe they've brought back the 2.slow. Does that mean we might see the same engine showing up in the Golf VI?
      I doubt they are bringing back the old 2.0 considering that the 2.0 was phased out mostly due to it's age, the harshness etc.. etc.. they are likely going to be offering a non-turboed version of the TSI.. so direct injection and all the goodness with probably around 150hp.

6. 06-15-2010 11:46 AM #6
      I like the wheels on the blue car at the reveal, got any more pics of that? Any more info on tech specs?

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta 1.8T, 2003 BMW 325i, 2010 Mazda5 GT, 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant, 2012 VW GTI
      06-15-2010 11:56 AM #7
      The car looks great...

Just looking at the minor details I could pick out of the video though the features have gone backwards a little:

-Climate controls have gone back to full manual from the semi auto climatic (the temp dial is back to simple hot/cold)
      -The gauge cluster looks nice but REALLY basic, no external temp display, no engine temp gauge, simple led fuel gauge.
      -2.0 from the MK4? Damn! It's a reliable old engine, but wow a little low on power considering it's an even bigger car than the MK5.

Probably a good call by VW to remove some content in favor of a lower entry price. I'm very curious to see what will be in the GLI, considering it'll have a different rear suspension I'd imagine there might be some major trim differences.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Volkswagen Golf
      06-15-2010 12:04 PM #8
      I love that the 2.0 liter is back, if only to freak out the types who think every Volkswagen should have a million horsepower and be like the GTI.

9. 06-15-2010 12:18 PM #9
      ok so i really hope that they the 2.0 is a complete revision and hope its at least an 16v cause 8v's is not going to cut it in a chassis that heavy lets be real cause even the 8v in the mk4 that thing could barely get out of its own way

10. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-15-2010 12:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubchop2k4 View Post
      ok so i really hope that they the 2.0 is a complete revision and hope its at least an 16v cause 8v's is not going to cut it in a chassis that heavy lets be real cause even the 8v in the mk4 that thing could barely get out of its own way
      Barely get out of it's own way? Really? What are you, 16?

The first V8 chevy had all of 150 horsepower and this Jetta would likely keep up with it. Just because some people are spoiled with hp doesn't take away from the fact that some people want a cheap car and a tractor-simple 4 popper is a great way to get them into your showroom and into a new car.

If you want more power, judy pony up for the 5 banger and stop bitching, it's not like there isn't an option. If it were the only engine available, you'd have a gripe, but it isn't and you don't.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta Wagon GLS 2.0L 5-speed, 2010 Routan SEL w/RSE
      06-15-2010 01:02 PM #11
      My Mk4 WAGON with 2.0L scoots along just fine and gets out of it's own way very easily. So it's not the fastest thing on the road, doesn't need to be, just needs to be fast enough to keep up with traffic and little more, which it does. It's a tried and true engine that has made back it's development $$$ and was probably chosen to get to that $16k price point, it should do well for the majority of people who will buy the basic model.

On to the real topic. Love the look of the new Jetta inside and out. If I were to buy one I wouldn't mind any of the engine choices, but I would love to see how the TSI is going to perform.

EDIT: a Toyota Corolla base model has a 1.8L 16v producing 132hp, the Honda Civic base model has a 1.8L 16v producing 140hp... throw 16v on the 2.0L and call it a day, it's a base engine in a base car, it's not like it's in the GTI or GLI, stop the bitching.
      Last edited by JETwagen; 06-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
      I drive a wagon... even if you beat me, can you brag about it?
      - Mike (previosly vwsr2cool)

| 1000th Post | DodgeForum.com | Xbox Live: JETwagen |

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta 1.8t
      06-15-2010 05:31 PM #12
      Wow.. all it takes to make an engine more powerful is more valves? I didn't know... I think I'm going to design a 100valve 4 cyl.. man that would rock.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda5, 1967 Beetle, 1976 Harley Sportster
      06-15-2010 12:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by thesilentmovies View Post
      I love that the 2.0 liter is back, if only to freak out the types who think every Volkswagen should have a million horsepower and be like the GTI.
      I actually agree with you.

I think it's a pretty good way to get that 15K price point.

I owned a 4 door golf with that motor, and for a commuter car it was nice. Plus it's a cheap engine to fuel and maintain.

14. 06-30-2010 03:48 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by thesilentmovies View Post
      I've always loved my 2.0 in my Golf GLS. Was more trouble free than my 2.0T

Vehicles
      PQ35 5K 5DR
      06-15-2010 01:21 PM #15
      Has anyone seen the platform code for NCS.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      06-15-2010 06:10 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom@VMG View Post
      Since the new Jetta won't go on sale till September/October later this year, there are some details that haven't been announced - final pricing, fuel economy figures and more.[/i]
      Actually, the VW international press release does mention fuel economy.

The 115hp 2.0 is rated 28 mpg combined - that's 1 mpg shy of a Corolla and Civic, and 4mpg better than the MK4 with the 2.0. It also says the 2.0 is a "new engine".

https://www.volkswagen-media-service...tlichkeit.html

Vehicles
      '84 GLI, '12 GTI
      06-15-2010 06:25 PM #17
      I didn't read the whole VWvortex article but read another release and apparently the old beam rear suspension is coming back too except on the GLI? Talk about taking a step back. I was really looking foward to a MKVI chassis based Jetta coupe, I thought that would be cool. Hopefully VW offers a smaller sedan or brings the Polo over or something. VW keeps teasing me with cool concepts ( Jetta Coupe, all the sports car concepts) and then making cool cars and not bringing them to the USA (Golf R, Scirocco, Polo)

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-15-2010 06:35 PM #18
      the 2.0L could be based on the 2.5L, with a cylinder lopped off.

since us owners with direct injection are concerned with the inevitable clogged intake manifolds... the last thing VW needs is that type of costly maintenance concerns for the volume model.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

19. 06-15-2010 06:41 PM #19
      I'm struck by the redesign with an overwhelming sense of "Meh." I was expecting something...sexier?

And since the ugly tail end of the current Jetta wagon isn't getting any much-needed love this year, I guess I'm back to deciding between GTI or Golf TDI - or waiting another year entirely.

Vehicles
      3x mk3, 2x mk2, 1x mk1, 1x mk4, 1x mk6, 1x e30
      06-15-2010 06:48 PM #20
      Less Jetta, more Katy Perry.

seriously though, pretty "meh" in my opinion as well. really can't picture a MEAN version of this car.
      My level of sarcasm is to the point where I don't even know if I'm kidding or not...
      Quote Originally Posted by emg60vw
      being 4x4 saved the cars life
      Parts4VW
      Instagram: @ynowgn

Vehicles
      '06 Porsche Cayenne S -- Gone: '06 Jetta, '97 Jetta, '97 Passat, '89 GTI, '85 GTI, '80 Rabbit
      06-15-2010 06:51 PM #21
      About what I expected it to look like based off of the Jetta Coupe concept. I am personally hoping they do release the Jetta Coupe with the 2.0T as the Jetta just has gotten too big for me. I think my Mk5 Jetta is too big personally. Will be interesting to see what the GLI looks like though....
      ---------------------------

CEL: Off

Vehicles
      MK 6 Golf 2 dr.
      06-15-2010 06:52 PM #22
      I like it overall. I'm sure that the base 2.0L will not be the old 2.slo. For sure will be a updated version, lets all just see what VW has to offer before going off the deep end. After all the 2.0 turbo will have a home in the GLI, correct?
      KEEP THE CUP HOLDERS

Vehicles
      mk2 and w124
      06-15-2010 06:53 PM #23
      The tail is screaming B8 A4 styling.

A company as "forward thinking" as VW should, in my opinion, design around new ideas rather than drawing from other ideas in their line-up. I could understand if it were more akin to a previous edition Jetta, Golf, etc. but this is just odd to me. Unless I'm seeing something that totally doesn't exist... maybe pictures will illustrate this?

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-15-2010 11:46 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post

The 115hp 2.0 is rated 28 mpg combined - that's 1 mpg shy of a Corolla and Civic, and 4mpg better than the MK4 with the 2.0. It also says the 2.0 is a "new engine".

It also says the 140hp TDI engine is new which it is not. It is the same 115hp engine used in the Golf City in Canada. That engine only manages to get the Golf City to 60 in 10.4 seconds for the manual and 11.7 seconds for the automatic. No way to tell for sure how performance will be in the new Jetta but consider the Golf City weighs considerably less. That is not a good sign. Volkswagen has stated combined fuel economy for the new Jetta as 26 for the automatic and 28 for the manual with the 115hp engine.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-16-2010 11:07 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post

2.slow is rated 28 mpg combined for the manual. It's 26 for the automatic. However, it's forecasted, not official EPA.

So... compared to the Corolla 1.8L:
      manual: 2 mpg shy
      automatic: 3 mpg shy

And the Civic, 1mpg shy for the manual & 3 mpg shy for the automatic
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8T Jetta 2001
      06-15-2010 06:51 PM #26
      Is it just me, or is this car just very boring and generic looking? I mean it doesnt really look much like a previous Jetta. I mean you could put another badge and model on it, and pass it off as someone else's car.

I mean no one would mistake a BMW or a Mercedes, but this car could belong to almost anybody.

Blog Entries
      07-06-2010 09:46 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by vancity 1.8t View Post
      Is it just me, or is this car just very boring and generic looking? I mean it doesnt really look much like a previous Jetta. I mean you could put another badge and model on it, and pass it off as someone else's car.

I mean no one would mistake a BMW or a Mercedes, but this car could belong to almost anybody.
      I thought it looked like a new Volvo from the front, an old BMW from the rear...

I'll have to see it in person - but so far, I like the MKV more. The MKV GTi/Golf and now Jetta - both look more like newer designs, while this looks like it fits squarely between the MKIV and MKV - like VW jumped out of sequence..

Still a "nice" car design, just not "great"...

Vehicles
      '11 MBZ C300 4MAT, '00 S4, '99 A4 2.8QM
      06-15-2010 07:50 PM #28
      I like it. Can't wait to see the GLI. Note to VW: Please add 4Motion (and send over the New Scirocco too)!
      Signature blank...

Vehicles
      Samoa Red b5.5 , 88 lemon 16v , fat fendered 69 ragtop
      06-15-2010 07:55 PM #29
      4.2 rwd coupe please R42 anyone?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      71 KGhia, 64 Bug w/99 crossflow, 2001 Golf w/jetta front end & 2002 Jetta wagon + more to come
      06-15-2010 09:35 PM #30
      Horrible...just horrible What was VW thinking

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T 6SPD/2008 BMW X5 3.0si/2009 BUELL 1125CR
      06-15-2010 10:19 PM #31
      Totally looks like the B8 A4 in the rear, first thing caught my eye. And holy wheel gap batman! Ugh are they really that high stock? The front needs to look like the concept coupe more. I always thought the Thunder Bunny body kit looked great on the MKV, a la TDI Cup Edition, what happened to that concept? I am holding reservation for the GLI, christ it better look better. Otherwise I am going over to the Audi or BMW camp.

-J

32. 06-16-2010 11:34 AM #32
      Great, a Camccord. Just what the world needs another boat.

Not to mention it will be the slowest boat at the boring family dock.

VW used to an alternative to the blandness out there, now they are selling a Jetta with fake wood on the dash.

This and the supersizing of the A4 have left me disturbed. Now, it appears that nobody wants my money. I guess I will keep my B7 until the wheels fall off.

06-17-2010 10:38 AM #33
      I don't know how VW product planners nailed this as well as they did. Remember, this car probably was started planning at least 3-4 years ago. That was pre-recession.

So VW gives you a great value product! In today's society, people are watching every penny. Good job VW!

And it's now almost as big as the B5 Passat........ hmmmm, with 2.0 T engine, I may be persuaded to get this car (provided they offer some upgrades in a couple years... like external temp gage, and chrome ring gauges).

-Randy

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      06-17-2010 11:25 AM #34
      While I don't mind the looks of it, per se, I can see all over where corners were cut to keep the costs down.

No IRS, trunk hinges from the 80's, return of the hard plasticy interior bits (no different from my cheapo Rabbit), boring gauge cluster, viva la 2.slow!, etc etc.

I will be very curious to see what they do with a GLI since the base model is starting at $14.9 or so. Give us a GLI around $22k and that gives them quite a bit of additional room to work with.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5L
      06-17-2010 02:04 PM #35
      Yup I am going to be sticking with my MKV this is awful! I do not like the look of it at all....looks like something an old person would drive F that crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast