VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sixth Generation Volkswagen Jetta Debuts - Official Pics!

73K views 230 replies 147 participants last post by  Pitz585 
#1 ·

Today marks a big day in the world of Volkswagen, with the announcement of the next Jetta, available to the U.S. market in October. The sixth generation of Volkswagen's smaller sedan has seen some major changes from previous generations, most notably the fact that it no longer shares a platform with the Golf, as all five previous versions have.

The Jetta VI has grown over three inches in length when compared to the previous version, with 2.6 of those inches being realized as additional rear legroom. The base models (S and SE) will also see the return of the two-liter four-cylinder from the fourth-genereation car, but the 2.5-liter five-cylinder will be available on those trim levels, as well as the SEL. If you're a fan of the two-liter turbocharged engine seen elsewhere in the range, you'll have to hold out for the GLI model, which won't be available until next year. The GLI will also afford you multilink rear suspension, as well as an expected appearance upgrade.

The new Jetta is also priced much more aggressively, starting at around $16,000. Check here for pictures.

Hey All - So I just got back from Volkswagen's very big public debut of the new Jetta VI in Times Square, New York. VW pulled out all the stops setting up beach chairs, umbrellas, sand, grass, a stage, loads of lighting and more to turn Times Square into a beach party of sorts. Katy Perry also performed at the event singing three of her hit songs and taking a few minutes to mug for photos. Photos from the NYC introduction can be found HERE.

At the center of it is the all-new Jetta VI. The new car looks better in person than in photos, has nice proportions and a very clean look to it. We're almost inclined to say a "safe" look to it since it is a departure from the hotly debated Jetta V look, but each generation of the Jetta always seems to need some time to soak in a bit. Plus we're still waiting to see the GLI model which is the version most of us are waiting for.

We had a chance to sit in the car and rear seat legroom is up a whopping 2.5 inches giving the rear seat area a LOT of extra room. Most everything else on the interior seems familiar and right, however we noticed that a few of VW's hallmark soft touch materials have given way to harder plastics. Overall it is still great cabin that looks detailed and upscale, but if there was some cost cutting to get the new price point, some of the dash plastics reflect this. The trunk area also looks a bit spartan with exposed trunk hinges and fasteners that we haven't seen in a VW product in a long time. Oh and the MK4 generation 4WD ride height is back again. That covers the complaints.

Overall the car still has an upscale look to it. Opening and closing doors still gives that reassuring thunk that we expect in modern VW's. Seat materials are still top notch and the headliner is still the familiar nicer weaves used in recent models (as opposed to that horrible mouse felt stuff you see in other products). Switch gear is the same as all other modern VW's with a few new twists like push button start, a new RNS310 nav system option, tweeters in the A-pillars and more. Gauges are more spartan and look like they may have been borrowed from the new Polo. VW has overall treaded a fine line between taking too much out yet still making it feel like a proper German car. Overall everything looks and feels (with a few minor exceptions) like a proper sequel to the current Jetta V despite the drop in price. We'll know for sure when we drive it next month.

Since the new Jetta won't go on sale till September/October later this year, there are some details that haven't been announced - final pricing, fuel economy figures and more. However you can expect a base price for the bargain-basement shopper of around $14,995 with a decently equipped version for around $16,000 - a nice price drop. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to get answers. - Jamie

See less See more
#5 ·
Huh, dunno if I care too much for the view of the front as seen head on. Looks decent from the other angles though. The interior shots looked promising but where's the full on photos?

Still can't believe they've brought back the 2.slow. Does that mean we might see the same engine showing up in the Golf VI?

#37 ·
I doubt they are bringing back the old 2.0 considering that the 2.0 was phased out mostly due to it's age, the harshness etc.. etc.. they are likely going to be offering a non-turboed version of the TSI.. so direct injection and all the goodness with probably around 150hp.

#6 ·
The car looks great...

Just looking at the minor details I could pick out of the video though the features have gone backwards a little:

-Climate controls have gone back to full manual from the semi auto climatic (the temp dial is back to simple hot/cold)
-The gauge cluster looks nice but REALLY basic, no external temp display, no engine temp gauge, simple led fuel gauge.
-2.0 from the MK4? Damn! It's a reliable old engine, but wow a little low on power considering it's an even bigger car than the MK5.

Probably a good call by VW to remove some content in favor of a lower entry price. I'm very curious to see what will be in the GLI, considering it'll have a different rear suspension I'd imagine there might be some major trim differences.

#9 ·
Barely get out of it's own way? Really? What are you, 16?

The first V8 chevy had all of 150 horsepower and this Jetta would likely keep up with it. Just because some people are spoiled with hp doesn't take away from the fact that some people want a cheap car and a tractor-simple 4 popper is a great way to get them into your showroom and into a new car.

If you want more power, judy pony up for the 5 banger and stop bitching, it's not like there isn't an option. If it were the only engine available, you'd have a gripe, but it isn't and you don't.

#211 ·
i thought it looks like an audi

i really like the back actually..... the front... well the lights are nice.... not really digging the bumper though

but overall i like it

im looking forward to seeing the GLI

#15 · (Edited)
To all those saying that they need to update the 2.0 engine, name me another car at the same price as the Jetta that will keep up with it in a straight line. The Jetta, even with the extra weight will still be faster than anything you can buy in this price range. And if you really need the extra power, chip it. Most of the competition involves 170-180HP N/A engines. I would definitely take the 2.0 Turbo engine over any of the other choices :)

Now my opinion on the new look, the exterior only got a little bit of an improvement, which looks more like a mid-gen facelift than a new generation and the interior looks exactly the same or even worse.

#18 ·
The problem with the 2.0L is not the power (as others have pointed out, most don't need or care for much more than the 2.0L puts out) it's the efficiency. If the car is going to come with an inexpensive, lower-powered engine, it sure as hell better bring impressive MPG figures. I'm not super familiar with the 2.0s of old but weren't they somewhat inefficient compared to other 2.0L engines?

#26 ·
i like it but this is true...just as the Audi A4 got larger there needs to be a Polo/Polo Sedan and A3/A3 sedan. There is beginning and will continue to be a smaller car movement and VW needs something to fill out the bottom now (and it doesn't need to be a bargain basement item, either) Need to see the new Jetta in person and see some weight figures, but it may be too big for my needs now.

#29 ·
All Jetta engines will be offered with a manual transmission as standard equipment.
:thumbup:

The 2.0 is a winner only if it offers class-leading fuel economy. VW had a non-turbo 2.0 direct-injected engine in Europe which would do that, but somehow I doubt that's what we'll get getting.

This car is being built in Tennessee, right?

I find it curious that the photos and video were shot in Japan.

-Uwe-

#31 ·
viva la 2.0 :D

But yes I assume this is a non-turbo version of the mk5's 2.0 FSI rather than the ol' ABA/AEG straight-outta-'99 8-valve we know & love so much
(fvck you haters! :p )

Sad to see the Jetta mk6 will not share a platform with the Golf for the 1st time ever ... and bigger, great .. guess it's all part of VWoA's NMS market-research, though.

As a non-Jetta fan, I'm just happy the TDI finally made it into the Golf again.

#34 ·
I was really excited to see/hear about the MKVI Jetta. However, just like when the MKV debuted, it's gonna take me some getting used to :rolleyes:

And for all the haters bitchin' about the 2.0...I'm sure they've never even driven a MKIV Jetta powered by one. IMO they're reliable, efficient, and cheap to maintain. What more could you want from a BASE engine?

- Jeremy.

#114 ·
Not sure YOU have driven a car with the 2.0. It is not really that efficient (you gotta baby it big time to get 34 on the highway), not particularly reliable (burning oil like there is no tomorrow) : the 2.0 as it was sold in 99 is not competitive anymore. Let's see if they tweaked it.

#35 ·
Engines from the stone age

North americans just have to get their heads out of the sand!
What does VW offer Europeans?
Downsized engines with turbo (and compressor). A 1,4L offers basically the same power (hp and torque) as the old VR6 with great milage. Why stay in the olden days when technology is moving on.

From the press release: "Jetta, delivering style, precision German engineering..." :what:

If this 2,0L turns out to be the old one from the 90's, I will be very disappointed in VW. And it will for sure not be precision engineering, whatever country it is from.

#36 ·
If this 2,0L turns out to be the old one from the 90's, I will be very disappointed in VW. And it will for sure not be precision engineering, whatever country it is from.
Get used to disappointment in your life if that's all it takes.

Do engine designs get less precise with age? Is my Air-cooler less precise than it was 40 years ago?

The engine is dated, yes. You can dislike it all you want, it's a base engine for people looking almost exclusively at the bottom line. If you like the car and hate the 2.0, just get the 5, TDi or the turbo. What's the difference to you?

#39 ·
Had a great time today, got to meet Katy Perry again, lovely person. Overall the new Jetta is great looking in person. The styling is very low key but the lines are smooth and crisp. Every body panel of the new Jetta flows so well into the other. Can't wait to see one bagged out on Rotiforms! :) :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.