Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sixth Generation Volkswagen Jetta Debuts - Official Pics!

1. 06-17-2010 03:30 PM #141
      OK, I'm gonna be in the minority, but just for diverse views, I'll give the family guy perspective. . .

And, just know, I kinda hate saying this, but the added size is welcome. Really I hate the automotive bloating trend, but as an owner of a much loved Mk V, we only needed two things: a bit more rear room for the dog plus two teenagers, and. . . a diesel (which was unavailable when we bought.)

The look is ever more generic, agreed, but it's not offensive. If we could get all the above with the improved chassis (right?) and wind up with a roomy, economical, decent performing german sedan for a mere $20kish, then this becomes the family car, my Mitsubishi Endeavor goes away (finally) and I'm thinking of a used first gen. Honda Insight (cue laughter).

Now before you scream "get a Passat" we tried that. Way too soft and "american."

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 Porsche Boxster, 2008 Audi A4, 2008 VW Jetta 2.0T
      06-17-2010 03:42 PM #142
      Anyone hearing anything more about 4 wheel drive coming to the Jetta line? Read it a few weeks back but haven't heard anything since.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      06-17-2010 04:51 PM #143
      Maybe I missed it somewhere in between the 5 pages, but was it stated that the SE, SEL or TDI trims WON'T have the Full MFD? Was it offically stated or are we just guessing based on what was released?

Also... any word on when official US stats will be out? Another month or so?

I think the look is nice, though I am slightly worried it will be like the Corolla (mostly) as far who buys it. I say that because as far as the newer VWs, owners take care of their cars well. I don't see dented up CCs or Eos'. I've even seen fairly taken care of MKV Jetta's. I'm just hoping to not see these MKVI's dirty, dented and abused... lol. I probably take too much pride in VW
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

4. 06-17-2010 05:42 PM #144
      Looks classy. Not particularly excited about the de-contenting but I understand the need for an affordable product. Hopefully the GLI will still be a good value. I also hope that in general this thing drives well and reviews well and is not the beginning of the end of VW's exciting yet affordable european vehicles.

Btw, it looks better low

5. 06-17-2010 06:25 PM #145
      The latest Jetta is okay, kind of plain looking. Actually the last Jetta I liked, and drive, is my MK4 Wolfy. Still love it. The new one just doesn't seem to invoke as much excitement. I'm glad however that they've moved away from the Corolla design. I know it's in the push to lower price, but the article stated that they cheapened up the interior materials a bit. That's unfortunate, that was one of the key areas that grabbed me when I bought my MK4, the sweet interior. Even today, almost 10 years later I think it still looks great.

Anyhow, my two cents.

06-17-2010 07:00 PM #146
      The bean counters are going to kill VW...

Since when do you come out with a updated model, that is a downgrade in many important areas..
      Losing the multi-link rear suspension..
      Trunk hinge design from 1980..
      Trunk lid that is not fully lined..
      Gauges that would look at home on a Polo..
      Going to levers to adjust the recline of the seats..
      "B" pillar design that would look at home on a mid 80s Corolla..
      I've heard the base model will have drum brakes in back..
      What else have they cut, scaled back, or done away with that we don't know about??

Yes, VW needs a cheaper car, but don't take a great car and strip it down to meet a price..
      VW has cheaper cars all over the world. Bring some of them here, and leave the Jetta alone..
      I have a MK5, and was really looking forward to the MK6, but I'm not going backward, and that's what VW is doing with this car..

Selling cheap crap may increase your sales, but it will also kill your reputation for building quality cars..

Buy the way, someone posted about the MK6 Jetta Wagon.. It doesn't exist yet.. The current Jetta wagon is a MK5 chassis with a MK6 Golf nose and dash.. Underneath it is still a MK5, so it doesn't have the benefits of the MK6 chassis..
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the heck happened?"..

7. 06-17-2010 09:31 PM #147
      The trunk hinges make it a non-starter for me, what's next lever operated seat recline? I love the styling but the cost cutting went way too far, any long time VW owner can see it. VW went backwards BIG time on this one when compared with the value for $$$ of the early MKV's. I am glad I bought out my MKV lease, if this is the road VW is going down it will be my last VW.

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2014 Golf TDI Manual
      06-17-2010 09:54 PM #148
      my neck started hurting from looking at the trunk hinges all the time while I drove my wife's 07 Jetta so now I don't look at those anymore while I drive, so I don't give a rat's a$$ what they look like

06-17-2010 10:02 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brown View Post
      The trunk hinges make it a non-starter for me, what's next lever operated seat recline? I love the styling but the cost cutting went way too far, any long time VW owner can see it. VW went backwards BIG time on this one when compared with the value for $$$ of the early MKV's. I am glad I bought out my MKV lease, if this is the road VW is going down it will be my last VW.
      Here ya go,

That looks like a lever where the knob used to be to adjust the seat recline..

71sbeetle, I don't care what the trunk hinges LOOK like..
      I don't look at them while driving either, but stuff your trunk completely full, as I have done many times, and try to shut it with hinges like on the new Jetta.. This is a step backwards, just to save a few pennies, and it makes the car look cheap..
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the heck happened?"..

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8T
      06-17-2010 10:38 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by LMGS View Post
      Trunk hinge design from 1980..
      The trunk hinge design is straight from the 2010 AMG C63 -- that's $54K vs $15K for the Jetta:
      http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/mercedes_be...ther_trunk.jpg

Semi-independent rear suspension and drum brakes are for the base model. If you want a $15K car you probably don't care -- and if you buy the GLI, you'll get disc brakes and IRS. What's the problem with that?

Vehicles
      2013 Audi A4 2.0T quattro
      06-18-2010 01:03 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
      Semi-independent rear suspension and drum brakes are for the base model. If you want a $15K car you probably don't care -- and if you buy the GLI, you'll get disc brakes and IRS. What's the problem with that?
      Audi did this in the 80s/90s. FWD cars came with drum brakes (later on rear disc became standard) and torsion beam rear suspension. quattro models always got IRS with disc brakes.
      The Nice Car:
      2013 Ibis White Audi A4 quattro 2.0T - Have HEX+CAN VCDS, PM Me

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
      1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"

12. 06-18-2010 01:57 AM #152
      I love love love the styling of the MkVI Golf and GTI but the Jetta has somehow gone terribly wrong.

I see a Honda Accord front end

...and and Audi A4 rear end

I dig the share of Audi styling but from the rear tire forward is not doin it for me.

Just my .02

06-18-2010 02:54 AM #153
      The trunk hinge design is straight from the 2010 AMG C63 -- that's $54K vs $15K for the Jetta:
      http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/mercedes_be...ther_trunk.jpg

Not quite the same.. I'm sure those hinges slide into pockets, so they don't take up room in the trunk.. If the hinges on the MK5 were the same as they are on the MK6, then it wouldn't be that big of a problem for me.. I see the MK6 hinges as a downgrade, and I like it when VW improves their designs..

Why go to the expense to have two different suspensions for the same car, and why screw the people who can only afford a base car???

The R32 is AWD, and it has the same rear suspension as the FWD GTI..

The whole MK6 Jetta is a BIG disappointment to ME..
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

Vehicles
      '11 Accord EX, '08 R32, '04 R32, '94 Integra GS-R. '04 Taurus
      06-18-2010 03:09 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew 16v View Post
      You guys are blind. The car in the renderings looks 99% like the car revealed. The difference is obviously the apperance package (spoiler, bumpers & side skirts).

Do you really think VW would release renderings of a base model? They're gonna release rendrings of the most elegant looking model to get the buyers attention.

The pictures I've seen of the new Jetta looks like one of the best looking 16k dollar cars I've seen.

Quit your crying and wait till the GLI comes out if your that concerned about apperance. But ofcourse you'll complain then also so. . . .
      Quit my crying and complaining? Obviously, I'm a lifelong VW fan, and I've demonstrated that by actually BUYING VWs. I've owned 4 Jettas, and currently have 2 $30K+ VWs in my garage. I'm not interested in saving a few bucks at the expense of a quality product. That's why I kept coming back to the marque. If the Jetta oozed the kind of quality that we've all come expect (such as the new GTI), this forum wouldn't have the countless posts expressing disappointment. Styling wise, the new Jetta looks more than acceptable. But everytime I climbed inside, I would be seriously bummed. My last 4 VWs have completely spoiled me in that regard.

Face it, they've taken the Jetta and moved it back in class. I would happily pay $25-30K for a worthy GLI successor with the new GTI interior. An R model would up the ante even more. But I fear the GLI will still be stuck with a good deal of the crappy cost-cutting feel.
      Current VWs: 'MKV TR R32 (#3687), MKIV TR R32
      Past VWs: '88 Fox, '93 Fox, '95 Jetta, '96 Jetta Trek, '99.5 Jetta VR6, '01 Jetta GLX VR6

15. 06-18-2010 04:08 AM #155
      A lot of you are missing the point. Yes, obviously some measures were taken to reduce the price. We can all see that. VW is trying to increase their sales volume and be more competitive with the Civic, Corolla, ect. If they have to reduce costs to get to that point and move more cars, so be it. Most people looking at a Civic, Corolla, or now Jetta don't know and/or care what kind of rear suspension it has or what the trunk hinge design is. They care how it looks, both inside and out, the price, and the name. VW has covered all those bases. The point is volume will go up. And for VW's entry level car, that is a good thing. It will give them more room to make new and exciting products.

Remember that this is just the Jetta. Most of us want the GLI or possible R anyways. We should wait to see how those turn out before we all jump to conclusions. I'll say that I love the lines of the car and the interior design. The GLI has potential for greatness. Think how much better a GTI looks compared to a base Golf. With some more aggressive bumpers, a lower stance, and some good wheels; we could have something great.

Vehicles
      98MK3J/99MK4J/08TREG
      06-18-2010 04:19 AM #156
      1. Hood shape curve from cowl to grill -phaeton-esque
      2. Front headlights trying to be a H. Accord trying to be BMW-ish
      3. Had to replay vid... swore I was looking at the rear of an A4 for a moment
      4: Hard crease down side of vehicle..... BANGLE = BAD, again BMW-ish
      5: line of lower grill opening don't flow well to the crease line of the hood. it flows up and out, but then you must strait line up to the hood crease, which cut the inside corner of the headlights.... doesn't flow well
      6: door side of mirrors........
      7: cluster display... love the minimalist look. hope it cycles for temp reading.
      8: SPORTWAGEN!?

9: WTF on the Japanese type trunk hinges? bring back the clean MK3/4 style. a wide opening is useless with those in the way!

Otherwise, an overall improvement from generation 5 IMHO.

PS Wondering what speciality tools are need now for us mechanic types...........
      Last edited by Docpsycho; 06-18-2010 at 04:27 AM.

17. 06-18-2010 11:05 AM #157

Selling cheap crap may increase your sales, but it will also kill your reputation for building quality cars..

I know the forum look has changed, but is this still the vortex? You guys feeling ok?

Vehicles
      black 2012 VW Golf
      06-18-2010 11:17 AM #158
      Who cares about the trunk hinges? The fact is, I wouldn't buy it because it has a trunk! Give me a hatch any day!
      Last edited by Blue Golfer; 06-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Vehicles
      1984 GTi
      06-18-2010 11:54 AM #159

Drum brakes are coming on the base model? My problem with that is that my 99.5 base model Golf came equipped with rear disc brakes. My 1980 Rabbit, on the other hand, came with drum brakes, and that's just pickled.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 CC 4mo, '10 V70Rd
      06-18-2010 02:06 PM #160
      Overall, I really like the car, I really like the style... but a few items I think they may have skipped a few too many beats on:

(These are more directed at the SEL & GLI models)
      - No Projecter Headlights?!?
      - No Dual Zone Climate Controls? ...My wife's 2005.5 Jetta had it.
      - Is Real Leather going to be available again?
      - Please tell me they will put in the full heads-up MFD for the models with Nav!
      - And why is this not the same steering wheel from the Passat and CC??
      - Power front seats?
      - And lastly, and most important to me.... WHAT ABOUT THE WAGON?!?!?! ...Please tell me this update will make it to the tourer too!

21. 06-18-2010 02:53 PM #161
      Not crazy about this...seems like a slightly undersized Passat. Is that really what
      we're calling for here?

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda5, 1967 Beetle, 1976 Harley Sportster
      06-18-2010 03:04 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
      Not crazy about this...seems like a slightly undersized Passat. Is that really what
      we're calling for here?
      We? Meaning people on the enthusiasts that constantly post on the forums, no (so far I would say there are more negative comments, then positive).

We? Meaning people in the US. Only time will tell.

I slightly undersized, stripped down version of the Passat that cost around 15K. It might just work.

I don't think this is going to be a car that people (not the base model anyway) are going to get all giddy and excited about, but I think it'll sell just fine.

23. 06-18-2010 07:42 PM #163
      What a bunch of cry babies! Hinges, who cares, the Ferrari F40 had a piece of cord to close the door. the Porsche speedster had a leather strap for the handle. The 2.0, that is a solid bulletproof motor with roots going back to 74'. The 8 valve can handle up to 700 hp in accordance to tectonics. The IRS or lack of it, come on! The trailing arm design rides on rails if setup right. People were critical when the Mk3, Mk4 and Mk5 Jettas came out. I remembered they called the Mk3 a Hyundai look-alike. the Mk4 they called it a Neon look-alike and the Mk5 they even said "Is VW trying to get out of the American market?"

24. 06-18-2010 08:35 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by VWYankee View Post
      It's amazing to me how slight changes in the lines from the concept can absolutely destroy the look of the car. The hard lines on the rear of the concept are very nice and give it an aggressive look. They softened that right up to give it a nice Kia Forte mix with a 2002 Accord rear end so it's uber bland. The roofline, the front end lines. All of them have the same changes from the concept to make what appeared to be the best looking Jetta yet to the most bland looking with just minor changes to those lines. I prefer a hatch anyway, but it's just sad that the design changed that much from the concept that looked so great. The GLI doesn't have a chance outside of some minor things they will change (headlights, grill and maybe a more agressive front bumper). It still won't look as good as the concept.

From Great:

To Terrible with just minor line changes:

Just to set the record straight:
      If you go back to the original KM article, it clearly states "Based on what we have seen, numerous spy photos and more WE HAVE CREATED A FAIRLY ACCURATE DIGITAL RENDERING..." This was never an official VW Concept, rendering nor even a real car.
      While your comments make sense, don't blame VW for those differences.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-18-2010 11:39 PM #165
      Why go to the expense to have two different suspensions for the same car, and why screw the people who can only afford a base car???
      The B5 Passat is the same way: mine has IRS, but the base/FWD models had the torsion beam suspension. And the B5 - when it came out - was lauded as the best family car in the US (rightly so, because of its longitudinal engine, great weight distribution, aluminum suspension bits, and Audi chassis).

The R32 is AWD, and it has the same rear suspension as the FWD GTI..
      Only because the MkV got IRS - in the MkIV, only the R had IRS.

Vehicles
      06-18-2010 11:46 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
      I am hoping that they fix those problems with 2.0 L base engine, eating excessively oil,
      Mine did not use any oil in 170,000 miles - ever.

You are probably referring to the limited series that had a piston ring installed upside-down.

That said, they should have (i) accelerated the design of the new 2.0, and (ii) waited until that one was ready to go. Or simply used the 1.4 TSI. The old 2.slow just look bad, in 2010: the competition has 40 - 50% more power and gets 30% better mileage.

Vehicles
      06-18-2010 11:58 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by B5V View Post
      Better yet, the 2.Slo (or 2.Go) 16V (2.0 R4 16v FSI 110kW):

110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 bhp) @ 6,000 rpm; 200 newton metres (148 ft·lbf) @ 3,500 rpm
      Quote Originally Posted by Rend It View Post
      Based on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._16v_FSI_110kW

I think this is what we'll see in the new Jetta as far as petrol engines go:

Base = NA 2.0L 4cyl 150 hp
      2.5 = NA 2.5L 5cyl 170 hp
      GLI = Turbo 2.0L 4cyl 208 hp

VW pretty much discontinued that engine several years ago (AWD Passat may be the last application). The reason: it is rough, unrefined, and expensive (needs a special piston head and NO_x catalytic converter, and needs ultra-low sulfur, super-premium high octane gas) --- but never kept the promise of lower fuel consumption. Which is logical: it just saves gas in lean-burn mode, when you don't use much to begin with.

VW has much better engines than that one.

28. 06-19-2010 12:56 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      VW pretty much discontinued that engine several years ago (AWD Passat may be the last application). The reason: it is rough, unrefined, and expensive (needs a special piston head and NO_x catalytic converter, and needs ultra-low sulfur, super-premium high octane gas) --- but never kept the promise of lower fuel consumption. Which is logical: it just saves gas in lean-burn mode, when you don't use much to begin with.

VW has much better engines than that one.
      You're referring to this discontinued non-FSI EA113 2.0 variant (Engine code ABF):

2.0 R4 16v 100-110kW

identification
      parts code prefix: ???, ID codes: ABF, 9A
      engine displacement & engine configuration
      1,984 cubic centimetres (121.1 cu in) inline-four engine (R4/I4); bore: 82.5 mm (3.25 in), stroke: 92.8 mm (3.65 in), stroke ratio: 0.89:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 496.0 cc per cylinder
      cylinder block & crankcase
      CG25 grey cast iron, five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft, forged steel connecting rods
      cylinder head & valvetrain
      cast aluminium alloy, four valves per cylinder, 16 valves total, double overhead camshaft (DOHC)
      aspiration
      cast aluminium alloy intake manifold
      engine management
      Siemens 5WP4 304 (Golf & Ibiza) CIS-E, or Bosch Motronic, or Digifant (ABF) engine control units
      DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs
      9A: 100 kilowatts (136 PS; 134 bhp) @ 5,800 rpm; 180 newton metres (133 ft·lbf) @ 3,500 rpm (CIS-E & Motronic)
      ABF: 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 bhp) @ 6,000rpm; 180 newton metres (133 ft·lbf) @ 4,800 rpm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...FEA113_petrols

The new 2.0 150hp I'm referring to is FSI (Engine code: BPG or exceeding) and is still in production:

2.0 R4 16v FSI 110kW

identification
      parts code prefix: ???, ID code: BPG
      engine displacement & engine configuration
      1,984 cubic centimetres (121.1 cu in) inline-four engine (R4/I4); bore x stroke: 82.5 by 92.8 millimetres (3.25 in × 3.65 in), stroke ratio: 0.89:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 496.1 cc per cylinder, compression ratio: 11.5:1
      cylinder block & crankcase
      CG25 grey cast iron; five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft
      cylinder head & valvetrain
      cast aluminium alloy; four valves per cylinder, 16 valves total, low-friction roller finger cam followers, double overhead camshaft (DOHC), continuously adjustable intake camshaft
      aspiration
      variable intake manifold and dual-branch front pipe
      fuel system
      common rail Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI), single-piston high-pressure injection pump, air-guided homogeneous combustion process, stratified lean-burn operation with excess air at part load
      DIN-rated motive power & torque output
      BPG:110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 bhp) @ 6,000 rpm; 200 newton metres (148 ft·lbf) @ 3,500 rpm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2.0_R4_80-86kW

Get your facts straight.

Vehicles
      VW CC 6MT, Ford Freestar, diesel rabbit (RIP)
      06-19-2010 02:30 AM #169
      i love this car. this is definitely one to get excited about!

Vehicles
      06-19-2010 06:24 AM #170
      You're referring to this discontinued non-FSI EA113 2.0 variant (Engine code ABF)
      No.

06-19-2010 12:21 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by borapumpkin View Post
      i love this car. this is definitely one to get excited about!
      Well to each, his own......

This car is a total disappointment to me... I've had a MK1, MK2, and my current MK5 Jetta, all bought new.. This is the first new Jetta that I really don't even care about.. It is not "new and improved", it is a huge step backwards..

I guess my next new car, will not be a Jetta.. Hopefully it will still be a VW..
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

32. 06-19-2010 10:37 PM #172
      No.

Vehicles
      06-20-2010 05:15 AM #173
      No necessary - I know which engine I am referring to - the engine with direct fuel injection. It was touted as the the next best thing after sliced bread when introduced, and failed miserably in most aspects: too expensive, harsh, not nearly class-leading power, and never achieved the desired nor claimed fuel economy. Therefore, it was withdrawn from all of its major applications years ago. Cheers.

Vehicles
      Eos (2007), Karmann Ghia (1969)
      06-20-2010 11:35 AM #174
      I will be purchasing a new sedan this Fall/Winter and I can safely say it will not be a VW. I was hoping for the next Jetta or Jetta Sportwagen but they've lost the plot.

The styling is simply ridiculous.
      Plus, back to the torsion beam.

The Jetta is competing with the Corolla and Hyundai is kicking everyone's butt with CLS-style aesthetics.
      Hyundai Sonata it is.

35. 06-20-2010 03:05 PM #175
      No necessary - I know which engine I am referring to - the engine with direct fuel injection. It was touted as the the next best thing after sliced bread when introduced, and failed miserably in most aspects: too expensive, harsh, not nearly class-leading power, and never achieved the desired nor claimed fuel economy. Therefore, it was withdrawn from all of its major applications years ago. Cheers.
      So what "crappy FSI" engine is that..specs, engine code?

I read nothing but empty rants..
      Last edited by B5V; 06-20-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast