Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sixth Generation Volkswagen Jetta Debuts - Official Pics!

1. 06-16-2010 12:51 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Tong View Post
      Not sure i like the front end...

Looks like VW cheaped out and went GM style on the rear trunk hinges...

Interior looks decent...
      At first I was like

Then I was like

2. 06-16-2010 12:53 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
      Then whats the point of the start/stop button then? The Passat and A4 have the same slot, except you insert the fob and push the fob itself to start/stop the car. Advanced key systems with push button start aren't unheard of in this price point, Nissan sells a lot of sub-$20k cars with it.
      IMO, it's a stupid feature anyway.

Vehicles
      07 CW GTI
      06-16-2010 01:05 PM #103
      Then whats the point of the start/stop button then? The Passat and A4 have the same slot, except you insert the fob and push the fob itself to start/stop the car. Advanced key systems with push button start aren't unheard of in this price point, Nissan sells a lot of sub-$20k cars with it.
      I rented a Nissan Altima on a business trip that had the keyless push button start. As long as the key was somewhere in the car you can use the button to start it. It had a slot for the key but it was not needed... Guess they kept a place to put the key out of tradition?

On that note, the Altima looks way cooler than the Jetta VI... (not to mention quicker)

Vehicles
      95 VR6 Turbo + 09 JSW TDI
      06-16-2010 01:16 PM #104
      Having owned a 2008 Ford Focus for a year - I can definitely say that is the current competiton for this car. Based on the cost cutting, and engine models the Focus will be a good competitor.

The things I grew accustomed to owning a VW really bothered me in a Focus, ie. the cheap trunk finish, cheap interior, terrible engine, etc.

Another competitor would be the new Chevy Cruze too

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/15/t...-jetta-w-poll/

autoblog referenced.
      - Chris

8380labs.com ..... LugTronic

autocrat.

Vehicles
      08 smart Fortwo, 14 Fiat 500L. 13 Ram 1500 Tradesman
      06-16-2010 01:20 PM #105
      The Dodge Caliber comes with a a outside temp guage... and a Jetta SEL won't?
      Really?
      How much money did they save by not installing a 1 inch large screen and include that.
      I love having that feature on both of my cars.

Vehicles
      B7 6MT S4 Avant, '09 6MT Sportwagen TDI
      06-16-2010 01:39 PM #106
      It's amazing to me how slight changes in the lines from the concept can absolutely destroy the look of the car. The hard lines on the rear of the concept are very nice and give it an aggressive look. They softened that right up to give it a nice Kia Forte mix with a 2002 Accord rear end so it's uber bland. The roofline, the front end lines. All of them have the same changes from the concept to make what appeared to be the best looking Jetta yet to the most bland looking with just minor changes to those lines. I prefer a hatch anyway, but it's just sad that the design changed that much from the concept that looked so great. The GLI doesn't have a chance outside of some minor things they will change (headlights, grill and maybe a more agressive front bumper). It still won't look as good as the concept.

From Great:

To Terrible with just minor line changes:

06-16-2010 02:00 PM #107
      I am hoping that they fix those problems with 2.0 L base engine, eating excessively oil,

Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      06-16-2010 02:12 PM #108
      I'm not seeing anywhere that the push button is located, unless I'm just looking with my eyes closed.

As for my opinion, I agree it's a progression, but yes, not my favorite design. I do hope they build the coupe version of the car, especially with a TDI 6-speed.

One thing I do like is finally a universal trunk for NA and ROW cars... seems they started this trend in the Tiguan, then progressed through the JSW and Mk6 Golf/GTI twins. It's about time for that one VW
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2011 Black JSW TDI
      =====

Vehicles
      2013 Audi A4 2.0T quattro
      06-16-2010 03:51 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Hare View Post
      I'm not seeing anywhere that the push button is located, unless I'm just looking with my eyes closed.

Its kinda small, but its there.
      The Nice Car:
      2013 Ibis White Audi A4 quattro 2.0T - Have HEX+CAN VCDS, PM Me

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
      1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"

06-16-2010 05:01 PM #110
      2 W's:

weight?
      wagon?

Vehicles
      2004 R32 DBM OG owner, 2015 E-golf
      06-16-2010 05:49 PM #111
      agreed, the concept has that 'something special', sadly the production model has lost it

too bad, because I was looking forward to it, maybe it's better in person....

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8T
      06-16-2010 06:29 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by dub_IN View Post
      IMO, it's a stupid feature anyway.
      +1

13. 06-16-2010 07:27 PM #113
      If anyone's interested, I did a post regarding the Jetta VI design in the Car Lounge forum under Jamie@vwvortex's VW Jetta VI Official Photos Released Early post, reply #144.
      I probably should have had the sense to post it here. (MODS: Is it possible to copy it to this post? If so, please do.) Long story short, I like it.

14. 06-16-2010 08:00 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by jtrujillo86 View Post
      I was really excited to see/hear about the MKVI Jetta. However, just like when the MKV debuted, it's gonna take me some getting used to

And for all the haters bitchin' about the 2.0...I'm sure they've never even driven a MKIV Jetta powered by one. IMO they're reliable, efficient, and cheap to maintain. What more could you want from a BASE engine?

- Jeremy.
      Not sure YOU have driven a car with the 2.0. It is not really that efficient (you gotta baby it big time to get 34 on the highway), not particularly reliable (burning oil like there is no tomorrow) : the 2.0 as it was sold in 99 is not competitive anymore. Let's see if they tweaked it.

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2014 Golf TDI Manual
      06-16-2010 09:00 PM #115
      will it be made in Mexico ?

16. 06-16-2010 09:16 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by toneman View Post
      2 W's:

weight?
      wagon?
      Weight I have no idea, but wagon I do. What you folks in the States know as the Jetta Sportwagon, is something the rest of the world (including Canada) knows as the Golf wagon, and it will carry on unchanged for at least a couple more years. Maybe it will be renamed the Golf wagon in the USA now, too. Same vehicle, though.

And that's a good thing, because when the time comes to replace my Mk5 Jetta TDI sedan, the most likely replacement will be a Golf wagon. I'm not feeling the heavy de-contenting that the Jetta sedan is seeing. Instruments ... arrrrgh. Trunk hinges ... argh. Torsion beam axle rear suspension ... ARRRRGH! The Golf (hatch or wagon) is a much nicer vehicle.

Vehicles
      MKVII GTI, Subaru Legacy
      06-16-2010 09:18 PM #117
      Why is everybody obsessed with the push button start switch? Is that supposed to be some kind of measure for luxury or whatever? It is just a switch after all, it does not cost anything more to make than traditional turn key switch..if you think about it, it should actually cost less, not having to machine key slot components. On another note, why is everybody upset with the cheap version of Jetta? Isn't the VW after all a "people's car" . If you want somewhat luxury and bit of performance, spring out some money and get yourself an Audi. I think that's what VW is doing, they do not want the Jetta to be competing with some of their other brands meanwhile trying to lure some Corolla, Civic and similar customers into showrooms. However I do agree that using outdated 2.0 8V with 115 HP just does not make sense, it lacks power, lacks fuel economy, and it belongs to a car made 20 yrs ago not in 2011. European 1.2 liter makes 105 HP and 1.4 makes 122hp or 160hp for a twincharged version. I own a 2.0 Golf and I am not into racing or anything, it is my daily driver, but with 4 passengers and AC on, the car feels like I am towing a house behind me, and then I have to climb hills...good luck 2.0 with hauling that bigarse sedan.

Vehicles
      06-16-2010 09:23 PM #118
      the way I see it, and it may not seem like much, but push button is safer in a crash. I haven't read the whole thread (I'm a typical Vortexer lol) so I don't know what people are saying about it

Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      06-16-2010 09:25 PM #119

Its kinda small, but its there.
      Thanks... I'm not obsessed with it, more a curiosity. And also, could this spell the end of the switchblade key? That is one seriously fat slot for the key...

Garey - it has been stated that these will be built in Mexico...

Wagon? Great question, I have heard nothing of plans to change from the current Golf Mk6 Wagon (oh, that would be Jetta Wagon here in the USA).
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2011 Black JSW TDI
      =====

Vehicles
      '11 Accord EX, '08 R32, '04 R32, '94 Integra GS-R
      06-16-2010 09:55 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by VWYankee View Post
      It's amazing to me how slight changes in the lines from the concept can absolutely destroy the look of the car. The hard lines on the rear of the concept are very nice and give it an aggressive look. They softened that right up to give it a nice Kia Forte mix with a 2002 Accord rear end so it's uber bland. The roofline, the front end lines. All of them have the same changes from the concept to make what appeared to be the best looking Jetta yet to the most bland looking with just minor changes to those lines. I prefer a hatch anyway, but it's just sad that the design changed that much from the concept that looked so great. The GLI doesn't have a chance outside of some minor things they will change (headlights, grill and maybe a more agressive front bumper). It still won't look as good as the concept.

From Great:

To Terrible with just minor line changes:

I agree with you 100%. The production car is a letdown after seeing the renderings. They were much more aggressive and distinctive compared to this wallflower design. It amazes me that VW couldn't just tweak the sheetmetal a bit more for a homerun design. It was almost there...so close.

When the spy photos leaked out, I knew I was going to be disappointed. People kept harping on the fact that the details were hidden, but I begged to differ. The design was there for all to see, and like you said, the sharp and angular lines of the rendering made it much sportier than the production version revealed. Again, they finally had the opportunity to break away from the "Golf with a trunk" stigma, and really distinguish this car. They failed.

Maybe a GLI or R (wishful thinking) version will change my perception of the thing, but I'm not holding my breath.
      Current VWs: 'MKV TR R32 (#3687), MKIV TR R32
      Past VWs: '88 Fox, '93 Fox, '95 Jetta, '96 Jetta Trek, '99.5 Jetta VR6, '01 Jetta GLX VR6

Vehicles
      2015 MK7 GTI SE DSG with LP & DAP
      06-16-2010 10:29 PM #121
      2.SLOW still ticking strong at 115K in my MKIV beater.

Vehicles
      06-16-2010 11:06 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Njaneer View Post
      2.SLOW still ticking strong at 115K in my MKIV beater.
      my 96 Golf had a strong 2.0 with over 220k on the clock when I sold it (only maintenance was oil changes, spark plug and plug wire changes, and air filter change) it now has over 350k miles and still going strong

23. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-16-2010 11:07 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      Actually, the VW international press release does mention fuel economy.

The 115hp 2.0 is rated 28 mpg combined - that's 1 mpg shy of a Corolla and Civic, and 4mpg better than the MK4 with the 2.0. It also says the 2.0 is a "new engine".

https://www.volkswagen-media-service...tlichkeit.html
      2.slow is rated 28 mpg combined for the manual. It's 26 for the automatic. However, it's forecasted, not official EPA.

So... compared to the Corolla 1.8L:
      manual: 2 mpg shy
      automatic: 3 mpg shy

And the Civic, 1mpg shy for the manual & 3 mpg shy for the automatic
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Vehicles
      20th Anniversary GTI
      06-16-2010 11:30 PM #124
      Well, couldn't figure out how to quote yet, (first time back since the website update, ha) but VW took a very nice looking concept and changed the lines and it is pretty uninspiring now. Saved me some money I guess.

Vehicles
      07 CW GTI
      06-17-2010 12:03 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post
      my 96 Golf had a strong 2.0 with over 220k on the clock when I sold it (only maintenance was oil changes, spark plug and plug wire changes, and air filter change) it now has over 350k miles and still going strong
      No one is doubting longevity or reliability. I have owned both 1.8 and 2.0 (non-turbo) VWs and the motors just last. The issue with using the 2.0 in the MKVI is the 115hp will be worked that much harder in the heavier car.

The MKIII and MKIV cars were around 2,900 lbs
      MKV around 3,230 pounds (MKVI likely close or heavier)

Definitely felt a performance decrease when my 2.0 car was loaded up.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast