Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Sixth Generation Volkswagen Jetta Debuts - Official Pics!

Vehicles
      98 VW Golf (AEG) RIP, 04 VW Golf 16VT (In Progress)
      07-03-2010 06:37 PM #211
      Quote Originally Posted by vivalamexico View Post
      The rear end is very 3 series-like
      i thought it looks like an audi

i really like the back actually..... the front... well the lights are nice.... not really digging the bumper though

but overall i like it

im looking forward to seeing the GLI
      :bow Old Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Really Volvo? A failure of system that is supposed to save the inattentive would have been noticed by a real inattentive driver?
      Really?

2. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-04-2010 03:41 AM #212
      Quote Originally Posted by jawnz View Post
      nobody will really buy a GLI or R jetta the price point will be around $30g with nav/18" wheels/xenons/leather and maybe $25g for a base model and the R could possibly cost upwards of $35g

for $30-35 grand you could start to get real lux or performance car status and not a measly jetta that will never have much more prestige than a corolla or civic
      You have no idea how much it will cost. Why are you making up figures? Really.

3. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-04-2010 03:48 AM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by racingvw92 View Post
      First, no that impressed.
      Second, where's the Fu Third, where did these stupid feature videos trying to impress the general public come from.
      Forth, stop trying to make the car like other North American car companies. If I want a Chevy, Ford (don't know why), or Chrysler (HA! YEA right!) I would buy one of them.
      Lastly, Stop trying. The Golf/GTI/TDI is great, just add a trunk! Not that hard!

My two cents
      In order:

If you've never bought a new car, why would VW care if you're impressed or not? (I don't know your buying history, but I'd bet $20 that you haven't)

2-door cars sell like coldcakes.

The 'feature videos' were never intended for public consumption.

Wait, you wonder why anyone would anyone want to buy a Chevy or Ford in the same breath that you say you don't like this cheapened version?

VW was heavily criticized for building exactly what you stated. A Golf with a trunk. If you do want a new car and like the Golf/think it's built better, why would you buy a Jetta?

07-04-2010 12:57 PM #214
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      In order:

If you've never bought a new car, why would VW care if you're impressed or not? (I don't know your buying history, but I'd bet $20 that you haven't)

2-door cars sell like coldcakes.

The 'feature videos' were never intended for public consumption.

Wait, you wonder why anyone would anyone want to buy a Chevy or Ford in the same breath that you say you don't like this cheapened version?

VW was heavily criticized for building exactly what you stated. A Golf with a trunk. If you do want a new car and like the Golf/think it's built better, why would you buy a Jetta?
      You didn't ask me, but to answer your last question, LOOKS... I like a car with a trunk, and the Jetta has always been a "Golf with a trunk"..

I've owned three NEW Jettas.. I will not buy the cheap piece of crap that is the new Jetta...

Of course VW is counting one or two other people who don't know / care what they have done to a great car to buy one, for every enthusiast who walks away...
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the heck happened?"..

Vehicles
      00 911
      07-04-2010 02:06 PM #215
      damn, just saw one debadged drive by my...I recognized it right away. Idk I'm a mkiv GLI guy and hated the mkv styling, but this new jetta at least looks better than the mkv's do...I cn't wait to see some pics of the GLI coming out...I might have to snag one if its decent.
      UROTUNING__The SteveGangBang 11.21__TheHazeBang_2012_TheGreatCatTakeover2012_

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-05-2010 03:11 PM #216
      Quote Originally Posted by LMGS View Post
      You didn't ask me, but to answer your last question, LOOKS... I like a car with a trunk, and the Jetta has always been a "Golf with a trunk"..

I've owned three NEW Jettas.. I will not buy the cheap piece of crap that is the new Jetta...

Of course VW is counting one or two other people who don't know / care what they have done to a great car to buy one, for every enthusiast who walks away...
      IMO, the new one looks better than the old one.

Drive then decide whether or not you can put up with 'cheap piece of crap' trunk hinges. Most of the competition has them as well.

There are 100 regular people for every enthusiast. For them, there is the GLi. Is that what you got in the past? I've owned a couple of Jettas in the past as well. My Mk3 (2.0) was a car... in the generic sense. I liked the way it drove better than a Corolla, but it's certainly no enthusiasts car. I had the same-year GTi VR6 "driver's edition". Some similarities, many differences. Tuning can do much. Basically, "why not give it a shot?" Really. You might be surprised. You might not, too. That could be decontenting within an inch of it's life and it could be because of preconceived notions.

Also, if that 2.5 were in the '97 Jetta I had, it would have gone a long way toward making that car an absolute blast to drive. (brakes and suspension would be needing upgrades as well.)

07-05-2010 06:22 PM #217
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      IMO, the new one looks better than the old one.

Drive then decide whether or not you can put up with 'cheap piece of crap' trunk hinges. Most of the competition has them as well.

There are 100 regular people for every enthusiast. For them, there is the GLi. Is that what you got in the past? I've owned a couple of Jettas in the past as well. My Mk3 (2.0) was a car... in the generic sense. I liked the way it drove better than a Corolla, but it's certainly no enthusiasts car. I had the same-year GTi VR6 "driver's edition". Some similarities, many differences. Tuning can do much. Basically, "why not give it a shot?" Really. You might be surprised. You might not, too. That could be decontenting within an inch of it's life and it could be because of preconceived notions.

Also, if that 2.5 were in the '97 Jetta I had, it would have gone a long way toward making that car an absolute blast to drive. (brakes and suspension would be needing upgrades as well.)
      That's one reason the Jetta stood out above the competition, they didn't use cheap crap.. Everywhere you looked, it looked like an upscale car.. Now everywhere you look on the new one just screams cheap.. Even if I could live with the trunk hinges, there are other things like the rear suspension, that I will not live with.. It is a step backwards.. None of my Jetta's were GLIs.. When I bought my first one they didn't even have a GLI.. But all the Jettas I bought were the same underneath, as any other Jetta.. Just different trim levels, but what counts was still there, and that's not the case with the new one..

I'm sure I will drive one.. It will be interesting to see how much they have changed them, and how it compares to my four year old car..
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the heck happened?"..

07-06-2010 12:20 AM #218
      lol I DO KNOW how much the jetta GLI will cost

just looking at the msrp of the mk4 and mk5 + inflation = $25 grand for a base GLI, 30 grand for a well equipped GLI and $35 grand for an "R" type with AWD

it's not rocket science.

nobody cares about a GLI which is why they were discontinued in the first place!

07-06-2010 12:31 AM #219
      there is no question the new jetta is a natural evolution aesthetically. the back bumper is very 3 series and the lights are very A4

the front grille has fog lights and looks very CC

the problem is how ****ty the actual BASE model will really be and what a step back the handling will be due to lack of independent rear suspension and possible drum brakes among other cost cutting measures

10. 07-06-2010 06:41 AM #220
      Rant Warning

1) This car isn't even out yet. Quit bitching about how cheap everything is. You all sound like morons passing judgement about something you've never seen. Wait till an actual production model is on a dealership lot with a window sticker, go check it out, drive it, and then bitch if you still see fit to.

2) You "enthusiasts" and your Jettas kill me. I literally "LOL" every time one of you talks about how you're such a badass enthusiast with your Jetta. It's VWoA's entry level piece. Maybe my idea of enthusiast is skewed, but enthusiast seems to imply high performance, custom, high end; along those lines. Don't go look it up in Websters. We don't care. That's not what it means in real life. It's definitely not something high school girls drive. Just because you appreciate details in a car, doesn't make you an enthusiast.

3) The trunk hinges: fine, maybe some of you stuff your trunks; buy a different car then because of trunk hinges. I dare you.

4) All of you freaking about the rear suspension, just shut up now before you dig yourself deeper into your stupidity hole. No one can tell. It's not a sports car. You're not going to be tracking it. If you care about the rear suspension, you most likely care about performance, so get the GLI. It will have IRS, and a turbo, that's the performance model. If the GLI went to solid axle, we would have something legit to bitch about. The Jetta is no sports car, it's fwd and less than 200hp. If the axle brings the price down so volume increases and drives just as well, great. I suppose that there is a chance it could ride terrible, but again, let's wait to drive them before freaking out. Ford made the new Mustanks handle amazing with a solid rear end, in a performance car, so it's hard to imagine this being bad.

Cliffnotes: Wait for the car to pass judgement. It's not an enthusiast's car. Buy the GLI if you care. STFU.

07-06-2010 09:43 AM #221
      lol maybe you can't tell the difference in handling. it doesn't matter if 90% of people like you are oblivious to handling

the fact is they have taken more quality parts and replaced them with outdated parts. period.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      07-06-2010 09:50 AM #222
      Quote Originally Posted by jawnz View Post
      lol maybe you can't tell the difference in handling. it doesn't matter if 90% of people like you are oblivious to handling

the fact is they have taken more quality parts and replaced them with outdated parts. period.
      Not to argue... but... if 90% can't tell the difference between "quality" parts and "outdated" parts... what's to stop them from buying? These "outdated" parts you refer to are cheaper to make, install and maintain. For years 90% of people would buy the cheaper because they have other places their money needs to be.

VW is trying to make profit in America... your logic is a bad business decision.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

Blog Entries
      07-06-2010 10:46 AM #223
      Quote Originally Posted by vancity 1.8t View Post
      Is it just me, or is this car just very boring and generic looking? I mean it doesnt really look much like a previous Jetta. I mean you could put another badge and model on it, and pass it off as someone else's car.

I mean no one would mistake a BMW or a Mercedes, but this car could belong to almost anybody.
      I thought it looked like a new Volvo from the front, an old BMW from the rear...

I'll have to see it in person - but so far, I like the MKV more. The MKV GTi/Golf and now Jetta - both look more like newer designs, while this looks like it fits squarely between the MKIV and MKV - like VW jumped out of sequence..

Still a "nice" car design, just not "great"...

07-06-2010 12:53 PM #224
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      Rant Warning

1) This car isn't even out yet. Quit bitching about how cheap everything is. You all sound like morons passing judgement about something you've never seen. Wait till an actual production model is on a dealership lot with a window sticker, go check it out, drive it, and then bitch if you still see fit to.

2) You "enthusiasts" and your Jettas kill me. I literally "LOL" every time one of you talks about how you're such a badass enthusiast with your Jetta. It's VWoA's entry level piece. Maybe my idea of enthusiast is skewed, but enthusiast seems to imply high performance, custom, high end; along those lines. Don't go look it up in Websters. We don't care. That's not what it means in real life. It's definitely not something high school girls drive. Just because you appreciate details in a car, doesn't make you an enthusiast.

3) The trunk hinges: fine, maybe some of you stuff your trunks; buy a different car then because of trunk hinges. I dare you.

4) All of you freaking about the rear suspension, just shut up now before you dig yourself deeper into your stupidity hole. No one can tell. It's not a sports car. You're not going to be tracking it. If you care about the rear suspension, you most likely care about performance, so get the GLI. It will have IRS, and a turbo, that's the performance model. If the GLI went to solid axle, we would have something legit to bitch about. The Jetta is no sports car, it's fwd and less than 200hp. If the axle brings the price down so volume increases and drives just as well, great. I suppose that there is a chance it could ride terrible, but again, let's wait to drive them before freaking out. Ford made the new Mustanks handle amazing with a solid rear end, in a performance car, so it's hard to imagine this being bad.

Cliffnotes: Wait for the car to pass judgement. It's not an enthusiast's car. Buy the GLI if you care. STFU.
      1) We HAVE seen it, and read about all they have done to cut costs..

2) I don't really care if you "LOL" when we talk about our Jettas.. My car is "high performance" and "custom".. You don't have to have a high performance car to be a enthusiast.. Enthusiasm has nothing to do with performance, it has more to do with a passion for your cars..

3) The trunk hinges DO matter to some people..

4) You are showing your stupidity by saying the rear suspension doesn't matter.. It does matter, especially on a FWD car.. I DO TRACK MY CAR!! And against a MK4, the rear suspension makes a HUGE difference in the cornering.. You don't need 500 hp, and RWD to have a good handling car.. Of course you claiming a Ford "Mustank" is an amazing handling car, really shows you don't know what you are talking about..

Maybe to YOU the Jetta is not an enthusiast's car, but to a lot of people it is.. Those people do care what VW is doing to a car they love..
      2006 Jetta 2.0 T DSG

15. 07-06-2010 01:24 PM #225
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      Not to argue... but... if 90% can't tell the difference between "quality" parts and "outdated" parts... what's to stop them from buying? These "outdated" parts you refer to are cheaper to make, install and maintain. For years 90% of people would buy the cheaper because they have other places their money needs to be.

VW is trying to make profit in America... your logic is a bad business decision.
      Thank you for understanding it's a business move.

16. 07-06-2010 01:25 PM #226
      2) You "enthusiasts" and your Jettas kill me. I literally "LOL" every time one of you talks about how you're such a badass enthusiast with your Jetta.
      And there are people who literally "LOL" when you talk about being an enthusiast with your car, whatever car that is - because there are certainly cars out there far better and far "more enthusiast-oriented" than whatever you drive. FYI.

17. 07-06-2010 02:11 PM #227
      Quote Originally Posted by LMGS View Post
      1) We HAVE seen it, and read about all they have done to cut costs..

2) I don't really care if you "LOL" when we talk about our Jettas.. My car is "high performance" and "custom".. You don't have to have a high performance car to be a enthusiast.. Enthusiasm has nothing to do with performance, it has more to do with a passion for your cars..

3) The trunk hinges DO matter to some people..

4) You are showing your stupidity by saying the rear suspension doesn't matter.. It does matter, especially on a FWD car.. I DO TRACK MY CAR!! And against a MK4, the rear suspension makes a HUGE difference in the cornering.. You don't need 500 hp, and RWD to have a good handling car.. Of course you claiming a Ford "Mustank" is an amazing handling car, really shows you don't know what you are talking about..

Maybe to YOU the Jetta is not an enthusiast's car, but to a lot of people it is.. Those people do care what VW is doing to a car they love..
      Yes, you, the majority of Jetta owners, and VW's target demographic are hardcore track enthusiasts. Definitely.

Vehicles
      98 VW Golf (AEG) RIP, 04 VW Golf 16VT (In Progress)
      07-06-2010 02:13 PM #228
      Yes, you, the majority of Jetta owners, and VW's target demographic are hardcore track enthusiasts. Definitely.

wow did you even read what he wrote?
      :bow Old Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Really Volvo? A failure of system that is supposed to save the inattentive would have been noticed by a real inattentive driver?
      Really?

19. 07-06-2010 02:24 PM #229
      Quote Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
      And there are people who literally "LOL" when you talk about being an enthusiast with your car, whatever car that is - because there are certainly cars out there far better and far "more enthusiast-oriented" than whatever you drive. FYI.
      1) I never claimed anything for myself.
      2) Duh, there will always be bigger, badder, faster fish in the sea.
      3) You have a valid point. However, in the grand scheme of things, VW's entry level, Corolla-fighter isn't very high up on the enthusiast scale. Sorry.

I understand the niche that the nice Jetta's have forged. Bottomline is it doesn't matter. If VW can trade one of your sales for 5 sales to the average consumer that doesn't know/care, they're going to. It's just business. Buy something else if you're not happy anymore. That's why there are other automakers.

20. 07-06-2010 02:35 PM #230
      Quote Originally Posted by duke_seb View Post
      wow did you even read what he wrote?
      Yes I did. And I had initially started typing a long, detailed response to every point. Then I realized I didn't care that much. I'm not here to try to be an e-thug. They're are valid points either way, and I understand that some feel as though VW has sold out on them to the masses. They have probably lost some potential buyers that were mkv owners. Simply put, the Jetta was never a performance machine. It aimed at the entry level buyer, and obviously VW feels the need to be more aggressive targeting that demographic. Thankfully they will still make a GLI with a turbo and IRS for those concerned with performance.

I'm not here to fight. Some just need to see it's a business move to increase sales volume. That is all.

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta 1.8T
      04-29-2011 07:58 PM #231
      I have seen a couple of these driving around Dallas. I think when I retire my Jetta thats what I will pick up.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567