Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head-to-Head: 2011 VW Jetta & 2012 Ford Focus

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      06-19-2010 01:02 PM #1
      So, I thought I'd relay this internal conflict to those on this board, since it seems as relevant now as ever with both of these cars coming out within the next 6 months. Seeing as no one here is even remotely interested in the Cruze... With sportiness and youth appeal, the new Focus and Jetta will be direct competitors.

2012 Ford Focus:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...cus-first_look

2011 VW Jetta:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...hotos_and_info

At first glance, I really think the exterior of the Jetta is superior, but the MyFord 8" touchscreen with voice activation seems really cool. Plus, you have wheel-mounted controls of an display in between the tach and speedo that allows you to toggle without taking your eyes of the road. Seems technologically advanced compared to the Jetta, and navigation is standard in any level of the MyFord system...

Would love to discuss this, because it's a decision I'm wrangling.

Obviously the 155 hp I4 isn't the most powerful, but there *might* be a "EcoBoost" (gay name) 2.0 I4 Turbo coming out. Nice thing about the 155 hp I4 2.0 is that it is rumored to get 40mpg.

I'm hoping that the GLI and Focus sport variant are both out when I'm purchasing this time next year. If not, the decision may be made for me.

Have at it.
      Last edited by WeeDub11; 06-19-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-19-2010 01:34 PM #2
      It sounds like it is competing more with the Golf. Ford seems to get it though:

People will pay $18,000 or more for a Mazda 3 or a VW Golf or a Honda Civic, but that’s because those cars carry so much brand equity. The average transaction price of a Toyota Corolla is less, and a Focus’s is way lower. No matter how good the car is—and Mark Fields, president of Ford of the Americas, says, “We won’t dumb this one down for the U.S.”—will American consumers pay more money for this latest Focus? If a domestic small car has a chance at challenging the Mazda 3 and the Golf, it’s this one.

Vehicles
      06-19-2010 01:51 PM #3
      Pictured above is the hatchback model, but the sedan model is pretty attractive as well. I think the Focus will compete with both, although I think the Focus is a bit larger than the Golf, which is more closely proportioned to the Fiesta.

Sedan:

Vehicles
      06-19-2010 04:21 PM #4
      Just wanted to add this photo from another forum (searched randomly w/ google..)

Not a huge fan of red cars, so I found this:

Def think a darker color is superior, because it makes the car look sleeker and de-emphasizes the aggressive lines, which I think are a little overstyled.

I like the new Jetta because its lines are purposeful and not overly aggressive, I'll be honest. Looks cleaner than the focus.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 4DR 6MT Tornado Red
      06-19-2010 04:39 PM #5
      Focus: ugly front end, ugly wheels, ugly dash, ugly upholstery. It should be a big seller, considering how many Mazda 3's I see on the road.

Vehicles
      06-19-2010 05:32 PM #6
      OK that's not helpful, but thanks for playing.

Vehicles
      06-19-2010 08:58 PM #7

Plus, I don't really see this interior as being "ugly"... it's not as conventional as the Jetta's and certainly is more stylized, but I think pending feeling the overall comfort/fit/finish, it looks appealing. The myford system with the two LCDs is really leaps and bounds above VW's nav offerings.

It DOES go withotu saying that the Jetta is definitely more upscale inside than the Focus. It's laughable to think of wood finish in the focus, but the Jetta can wear it casually. The leather(ette) seats in the Jetta are also fantastic compared to the hybrid seats of the Focus. Jetta's dash is also clean and simple without clutter. I still maintain that while the Jetta is more "tasteful" the dash of the Ford is interesting in its own way and is certainly more attractive than the interior of the Mazda 3

Last edited by WeeDub11; 06-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.

8. 06-20-2010 03:48 AM #8
      I love the exterior styling of the Focus and would consider buying one if not for the hideous Boyracer Spaceship interior styling. Way too over the top. Claustrophobic even. That weird dash transition between instrument pod and center stack makes my eyes hurt. I much prefer the elegant simplicity of the VW interiors.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 4DR 6MT Tornado Red
      06-20-2010 04:04 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WeeDub11 View Post
      OK that's not helpful, but thanks for playing.
      Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was on the Ford Worship forum.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-20-2010 04:26 AM #10
      At first glance, I really think the exterior of the Jetta is superior, but the MyFord 8" touchscreen with voice activation seems really cool. Plus, you have wheel-mounted controls of an display in between the tach and speedo that allows you to toggle without taking your eyes of the road. Seems technologically advanced compared to the Jetta, and navigation is standard in any level of the MyFord system...
      I have a touchscreen radio/media interface and bluetooth in my Golf*. And I can display many different things in the MFI and configure settings with the wheel-mounted controls. I would expect that some trim level Jetta would do the same. Final specs have not been released at this point.

(*) The 2011 Golfs come with bidirectional telephone call control - mine has the older model, in which only incoming calls are fully automatic.

Vehicles
      06-20-2010 07:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I have a touchscreen radio/media interface and bluetooth in my Golf*. And I can display many different things in the MFI and configure settings with the wheel-mounted controls. I would expect that some trim level Jetta would do the same. Final specs have not been released at this point.

(*) The 2011 Golfs come with bidirectional telephone call control - mine has the older model, in which only incoming calls are fully automatic.
      I didn't mentino voice activation, but that's only bc I think it's gayer than stewie griffin.

The touchscreens on the VWs aren't nearly as large as the optioned out ford version and navi is an expensive option, but it does look subjectively more classy... focus dash reminds me of Transformers in a way haha.

Vehicles
      06-20-2010 07:54 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by mike356 View Post
      Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was on the Ford Worship forum.
      You aren't, and I'm not expecting you to say NICE things about either car, particularly the Ford, but I'd rather you critique things in a more useful way. There are more objective aspects of both cars that you can compare. Options, styling SPECIFICS, engines, prices, etc.

You took the lazy way out, which is cool its an open forum...

Vehicles
      06-20-2010 05:14 PM #13
      Bump, was hoping for more input.

Vehicles
      06-20-2010 05:18 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
      I love the exterior styling of the Focus and would consider buying one if not for the hideous Boyracer Spaceship interior styling. Way too over the top. Claustrophobic even. That weird dash transition between instrument pod and center stack makes my eyes hurt. I much prefer the elegant simplicity of the VW interiors.
      I think that Ford did this so that they could move the screen as far towards the top of the dashboard as possible, because the whole marketing theme is to keep the driver's eye on the road. So the question then became, "Where the eff do we put the vents!?" I think it's the vents that throw off the throw of the interior, although I do really appreciate that the screen is so prominent and high on the dashboard but readily admit it is a turnoff.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-20-2010 11:11 PM #15
      I think you get more bang for the buck with the Focus in terms of technology and packaging but my God that interior is hideous. Welcome aboard the starship superfluous. I'm not really too fond of the exterior design either to be honest but the interior... I would describe the interior of the Jetta as simple and refined and the interior of the Focus as loud and obnoxious. It looks like it was designed by a car stereo manufacturer.

Ideally I would like to see the interior of the Jetta improved a bit starting with the instrument cluster.
      Last edited by TWinbrook46636; 06-20-2010 at 11:14 PM.

16. 06-20-2010 11:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      I would describe the interior of the Jetta as simple and refined and the interior of the Focus as loud and obnoxious. It looks like it was designed by a car stereo manufacturer.
      Hilarious, I was going to make the exact same comment about stereo manufacturer design regarding the Focus interior. I didn't though, thinking no one would "get it."

Vehicles
      06-21-2010 12:01 AM #17
      Loled at the starship superfluous comment. I do think that due to the euro tuning and chassis characteristics I'm going to have to test drive this when it is released. Seems like it could be a very livable dd depending on how cheap the interior feels. It'll especially deserve comparison with the gli if they release a 2.0 turbo with dsg, which would either be done as a svt or rs variant.

Vehicles
      2010 StgII GTI, 2004 DBP R32
      06-21-2010 02:34 AM #18
      The focus interior makes me vomit. That jetta interior isn't exactly where it's at either....the wood is lame....but supposedly you will have choices there.

19. 06-21-2010 10:56 AM #19
      I like the ford media interface, the dash is a little busy but it does not bother me. I am really not that picky.

Vehicles
      06-21-2010 01:24 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jaydubz View Post
      I like the ford media interface, the dash is a little busy but it does not bother me. I am really not that picky.
      I'm glad someone else can see things from my POV... there's no doubt that the jetta interior is classier and the materials look subjectively better, but the media interface is definitely appealing. I love gadgets and that want/need is probably comparable with my need to feel upscale. For families, this is a great idea. If you hook up an wireless 3g/4g air card/USB/etc to the system in the middle console, you get WiFi throughout the car! I can't imagine how invaluable that would be on long trips, especially if you already have the card for work, etc. What a great idea.

I am torn, but in a good way.
      Last edited by WeeDub11; 06-21-2010 at 01:30 PM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI, 2001 M Coupe, 2009 Targa 4
      06-21-2010 01:59 PM #21
      On this subject, I feel the 2012 Focus will be mechanically ahead of the 2011 Jetta. IRS & rear disc brakes + the usual Euro dialed in chassis makes it already in my mind the more dynamic one. I also think that Ford really needs to make a splash with this car, and based on the Euro products they pump out, this one will go straight to the top of the class.

That does not bode well for a model (2011 Jetta) that has been decontented to get a lower price point in the market.

The new Jetta is not a car for the typical VW-blooded fan. I feel it is a 'dumbed' down version, designed to appeal to the masses with a lower purchase point. However, its a handsome design, both inside and out and I hope it does well for VW and attract lots of new owners to the brand.

I understand the direction VW has gone on this, and I do not blame them. They have other cars in their line-up which have the traditional VW cues (i.e. over-engineering), such as the Golf/Passat & CC.

If I am looking for a Sedan from VW, I would get a 2010 Jetta TDI, or a CC/Passat. Failing that, an Audi A4.

Otherwise I'll remain happy so long as they don't follow this path with the Golf/GTI models.

Vehicles
      06-21-2010 02:05 PM #22
      However, the flipside of the coin is that Ford has already made it obvious that this is going UPMARKET, meaning the base price will no longer be less than that of a Jetta. And all that gets you is 155 horses in the base engine and about 145 lbft of torque. However, with that powerplant, Ford has claimed that the Focus will have best-in-class fuel economy, which means it will probably be around 40 mpg. What is the mpg offered with the 2.5? It clearly is a winner in the HP department, and if it puts out 30+ mpg, I still think the Jetta is the clear winner. (I'm choosing to ignore the 2.0slow POS bc it's not a consideration for anyone on this forum) I don't see how Ford can pump 155/145 out of its 2.0L and can use direct injection and variable timing to achieve that, while VW is reverting to the dark ages with its 2.slow. New VW engines can't come fast enough...

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 01:17 PM #23

Again, I hardly think this looks ugly. I think it looks more classy than any other compact in the segment, hands down. The VW looks classic and clean, and I appreciate them both in their own rite, but the focus is certainly more progressive.

I have my doubts about whether that stitching on the dash will make it to production models, and that adds a lot seeing as cheap plastics would certainly send me on my way...
      Last edited by WeeDub11; 06-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Vehicles
      95 VR6 Turbo + 08 R32
      06-22-2010 01:21 PM #24
      Coming from a 2008 Ford Focus, the engine and interior finish, and overall styling I felt were lacking.

The new model Focus looks improved, but id still wager that after 1-2yrs the Focus would feel a lot cheaper than the Jetta.
      chris

AD 3 AD Labs ..... LugTronic

autocrat.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8T
      06-22-2010 01:51 PM #25

Again, I hardly think this looks ugly. I think it looks more classy than any other compact in the segment, hands down.
      Personally, I think those are some cheap and nasty-looking seats. The current European Focus RS seats (and dashboard) look way better:

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 01:57 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
      Personally, I think those are some cheap and nasty-looking seats. The current European Focus RS seats (and dashboard) look way better:

The seats in the photos I added aren't available in the US anyway. That's a euro-spec focus (check out the address to the photos). I partially agree with you on the seats. I think they would offer a great FEEL, even if they might not look great in that weird neon yellow trim (imo, neon yellow/green puke color doesn't belong near cars). I think we'll see the "piano black" finish predominantly in the upper trim of the US Focuses/Foci which is shown in the model that was on display in auto shows in the US.
      Last edited by WeeDub11; 06-22-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Vehicles
      06-23-2010 08:38 PM #27
      Bump for some final input.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      06-23-2010 08:54 PM #28
      Hard to choose for me...

Wait till Focus gets EcoBoost engine and GLI is made.

New Fords are a lot better then they use to be and euro Fords are even better in my view.

Vehicles
      Golf V R32 & 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
      06-23-2010 09:28 PM #29
      Oh Boy...VW when they compare you to a ford Focus and in your own forum you know youre in troble in the marketing front!!!................

Even the music theme of the of the jetta video wins hands down!!!.............

Long Live Volkswagen!!!!!

30. 06-23-2010 09:51 PM #30
      Well, if you consider the Euro version with 1.6L diesel w/DPF is rated at 42 city, 63.5 hwy, 53.5 US MPG combined the mileage could be a little better.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      06-23-2010 09:54 PM #31
      Just wanted to add this photo from another forum (searched randomly w/ google..)

Not a huge fan of red cars, so I found this:

Def think a darker color is superior, because it makes the car look sleeker and de-emphasizes the aggressive lines, which I think are a little overstyled.

I like the new Jetta because its lines are purposeful and not overly aggressive, I'll be honest. Looks cleaner than the focus.

Reminds me of a small SUV or a 2010 Accord Crosstour....... regardless it's a Ford and has no place on the Vortex.

Vehicles
      94 Integra (RIP), 95 G20, 12 Grand Cherokee
      06-23-2010 10:13 PM #32
      The new Focus sedan looks nice but I'm not a fan of the hatchback's rear styling, I prefer the Golf's and upcoming Forte hatchback. The interior is a bit sci-fi but I can see what they were trying to do. The "MyFord" thing seems cool.

That being said, I think exterior wise the Focus and Jetta are on par, its just depends on your preference. I like the whole clean-Euro look of the Jetta so I probably would consider buying it. Powertrain-wise I think the Focus wins, the base engine has more HP and a higher fuel mileage. The only benefit to the Jetta's base engine is that old technology will likely be more reliable.

The new Focus is definitely an improvement but what I'm really interested to see is the pricing for it because the Fiesta 5dr starts at $16k and a decent equipped sedan is around the same price. I can see the "average/beige" Focus going for $20k. How many are going to feel comfortable buying a Focus for that much?
      Last edited by DATSUN; 06-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Vehicles
      06-23-2010 10:32 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazan View Post
      Oh Boy...VW when they compare you to a ford Focus and in your own forum you know youre in troble in the marketing front!!!................

Even the music theme of the of the jetta video wins hands down!!!.............

Long Live Volkswagen!!!!!
      If it hadn't been designed by Ford of Europe, there wouldn't even be a discussion. Let's face it, this is a Euro-car with Japanese electronics.... only thing that is native to America is the Ford Sync/MyFord Touch software

I do apologize for spewing Ford goo all over the Vortex, but this is a legitimate contender as it's moving upmarket and will probably competitively priced in the marketplace against the Jetta now that the Jetta has moved downmarket and the Focus has moved up...
      Last edited by WeeDub11; 06-23-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-23-2010 11:00 PM #34
      Bump for some final input.
      I think you already made your decision to go with the Focus a while ago.

Vehicles
      Golf V R32 & 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
      06-23-2010 11:34 PM #35
      If it hadn't been designed by Ford of Europe, there wouldn't even be a discussion. Let's face it, this is a Euro-car with Japanese electronics.... only thing that is native to America is the Ford Sync/MyFord Touch software

I do apologize for spewing Ford goo all over the Vortex, but this is a legitimate contender as it's moving upmarket and will probably competitively priced in the marketplace against the Jetta now that the Jetta has moved downmarket and the Focus has moved up...
      You got a point and I understand where you are coming from, we all know that in reality jettas are assembled and many of its major components made in Mexico (it is only designed in Germany) but in my opinion VW jettas still have a tasteful European design (unlike the Focus featured on this thread).
      I do like the current Ford Focus but I am talking about the one that is sold in Europe in its sport trim, I am talking about the 2010 Ford Focus RS...I have seen up close and in person as it is sold in Mexico, now that one, I would not mind buying....Here is the pic for your enlightment....Now this is the Real Deal.......

Last edited by Mazan; 06-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast