Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switchblade Key FOB

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-21-2010 06:51 PM #1
      My G/F totaled her mkV jetta a few months ago, and the other night I was looking around at the switchblades and how much they cost etc etc etc. And I got to thinking, "maybe she still has her spare... but the insurance company prob asked for it back". Well SOMEHOW she ended up having it and gave it to me, so now I need to find that DIY and mod my key to fit.

Been wanting to do this for awhile so I pretty hyped...

Post up your switchblades if ya got em

(This thread is pretty stupid but w/e... flame on me I don't care)

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      06-21-2010 07:14 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by APURPLEKING View Post

x 2 I agree asking for pictures of switchblade keys is stupid. Sorry let me rephrase that, I think it may be the stupidest picture request ever on vortex. I think you should stricken of all former posts and demoted to noob status.

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      06-21-2010 07:17 PM #3

x 2 I agree asking for pictures of switchblade keys is stupid. Sorry let me rephrase that, I think it may be the stupidest picture request ever on vortex. I think you should be stricken of Your post count and demoted to noob status.

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-21-2010 08:01 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by csrgti View Post
      I think you should be stricken of Your post count and demoted to noob status.
      Posting the same thing twice is quite noobish if you ask me

And FYI, it wasn't a pic request. I have a FOB and have seen them many times, I was just looking to see how many others have done the swap(mkIII key style to switchblade style).

Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      06-21-2010 08:12 PM #5
      It's silly. would be worth it if the keyfob internals were transferable
      "Builds a sh*tty/ugly car, gets made fun of, calls everyone a hater" - Dubbers
      If you wish to get a hold of me, EMAIL IS THE BEST WAY Dutchsider2@yahoo.com

Vehicles
      7 of em.
      06-21-2010 08:25 PM #6
      I have a fully working switchblade key, so has many others..

Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      06-21-2010 08:51 PM #7
      fully working keyless?

Vehicles
      1997 tdi
      06-21-2010 09:10 PM #8

Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      06-21-2010 09:39 PM #9
      I've sen that before. That's why I asked about working keyless. That DIY isn't exactly what we like to call, the easiest thing ever. Hell, we can't even figure out how to gut an airbox

Vehicles
      A Yugo and a mule
      06-21-2010 11:18 PM #10
      Saw that DIY a while ago too. In all honesty, that's about as easy as transferring internals is gonna get. I wouldn't attempt it unless you realize how circuit boards work. Or you could go for broke and make a new circuit board using all the components from the old remote. Just pick up a small blank board, a sharpie, and some etching solution. Would love to see someone do that. I'd go for it, but I'm far too lazy to work that hard on something like this

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-21-2010 11:23 PM #11
      I've seen this DIY before, and I read it like it was German. I do not know enough with circuit boards and **** to attempt it.

Vehicles
      '96 24v VR6 Golf
      06-21-2010 11:27 PM #12
      Posting the same thing twice is quite noobish if you ask me
      burned.

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-21-2010 11:43 PM #13

Vehicles
      1997 tdi
      06-22-2010 12:17 AM #14
      Hey I think I miss read the original post so here's a link for installing a new key http://forum.performancevwmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=38004

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-22-2010 04:46 PM #15
      Anybody know if the dealer sells just blank keys for the FOB? I know you can buy FOB's with blank keys and have them cut, but I already have the FOB, and I took the key out and started tracing mine. But I think getting a new blank would be pretty cheap...

Vehicles
      1997 tdi
      06-22-2010 05:09 PM #16
      Not the dealer but they are listed for $15.00 which I thought was worth it because it's a pain to cut an existing key http://www.keysforvw.com/products.html

Vehicles
      1978 VW Scirocco, 1997 Passat GLX Wagon.
      06-22-2010 05:22 PM #17
      After reading all of that. He could have reduced the size dramatically by doing a dead-bug wiring using SMT components on top of the PT2262.

Also, can anyone find out which IC is being used inside the MK4/MK5 Keyfob? You can probably remake or reprogram the EEPROM... Anyway... I like this thread. keep it coming.

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-22-2010 05:26 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Keebler64 View Post
      After reading all of that. He could have reduced the size dramatically by doing a dead-bug wiring using SMT components on top of the PT2262.

Also, can anyone find out which IC is being used inside the MK4/MK5 Keyfob? You can probably remake or reprogram the EEPROM... Anyway... I like this thread. keep it coming.

I wonder if you could somehow swap over the new wireless "box" or w/e... Like how our cars have the "white box" as people call it. I'm sure it wouldn't just be a simple swap, but I wonder if its possible.

Vehicles
      1998 Purple Sixxer.
      06-22-2010 06:03 PM #19
      Buy the Eurovan blank. I got mine off of Ebay for something around 3$ shipped.

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 06:17 PM #20
      I wonder if you could somehow swap over the new wireless "box" or w/e... Like how our cars have the "white box" as people call it. I'm sure it wouldn't just be a simple swap, but I wonder if its possible.
      Anything is possible. You would have to see how the newer box interfaces with the MK3 system, and vice versa, then, if reprogramming is required, you would have to figure out what type of controller is in the box, and figure out what is needed to reflash it. It's a bit more complicated than just that, but there's somewhat where you'd start.

Capturing the signals and determining the protocol used would be something else. But, if it's like the rest of the vehicle, it might just boil down to some simple CANBUS. I've got some RF and DSP transceivers, as well as a few CANBUS chips I can mess with... if I had some time. Would be cool to integrate my SIM/GSM card with the "WhiteBox" and unlock my car with a simple iPhone App. (Or web interface.) There are already some devices on the market that do this, but why buy, when you can MAKE?!

Vehicles
      1997 tdi
      06-22-2010 06:40 PM #21
      I think you would run into problems getting a mk4 "box" to work because they have an electrical locking system vs. the vacuum system in the mk3 so I think following Dan J Reed's aftermarket unlocking system diy and chopping the remote up is the easiest way to have a fully functioning remote

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 06:50 PM #22

To Quote myself, I did some research and managed to find the FCC ID and parts list of the MK3 and MK4/MK5 remotes. There are even test pins available to reprogram or debug the MK5 remotes. And BOTH remotes operate off the 315mhz frequency. ..

This requires further investigation...

EDIT: Now I REALLY wish I had a keyless entry system in my MK3 so I could play with this more easily.

Vehicles
      1997 tdi
      06-22-2010 06:53 PM #23
      Can I get a link to the parts lists and the test pins? Thanks

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 06:54 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ilm1133 View Post
      Can I get a link to the parts lists and the test pins? Thanks
      https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...7NBG735868T%27

Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      06-22-2010 07:58 PM #25
      To Quote myself, I did some research and managed to find the FCC ID and parts list of the MK3 and MK4/MK5 remotes. There are even test pins available to reprogram or debug the MK5 remotes. And BOTH remotes operate off the 315mhz frequency. ..

This requires further investigation...

EDIT: Now I REALLY wish I had a keyless entry system in my MK3 so I could play with this more easily.
      Keebler, you an electrical engineer or something? Sounds like you know a hell of a lot about how to get a MKIV switchblade fob to work with a MKIII keyless receiver. (BTW, no sarcastic connotation to what I'm saying)

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 08:21 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchsider View Post
      Keebler, you an electrical engineer or something? Sounds like you know a hell of a lot about how to get a MKIV switchblade fob to work with a MKIII keyless receiver. (BTW, no sarcastic connotation to what I'm saying)

EE in training, so to speak. More like inventor, hobbyist, tinker-er, hacker, and any number of sorts. My official degree is Telecommunications, but I'm changing to Micro-robotics in the Fall, with a minor in business management (or neuroscience, can't decide). But as of yet. I have no degree and just learn as much as I can about something that intrigues me. And I've always been intrigued by Volkswagens and Electronics.

Take the MK3 keyfob, it's made using DIP/Discrete components. These are cheap, and meant to be easily assembled by hand. However, SMT/D (Surface Mount Technology/Devices) are much smaller, compact, and somewhat more difficult to work with. But by far, not impossible. So, that said, depending on what type of EEPROM or MCU a device has, it is sometimes possible to reprogram or reflash a new chip in a smaller/different package. But it requires reverse engineering certain things.

From the Datasheet of the PT2262:
      "The PT2262 is a remote control encoder utilizing CMOS technology. It encodes data and address pins into serial coded waveform suitable for RF or IR modulation..."

What that tells us, is that when a certain button on the remote it pressed, it enables the PT2262 to convert the button press and send it to the registered receiving device ("whitebox), which then translates
      the button press inside the MCU's firmware. Typically an 8bit micro controller.

From there it then communicates to whatever relay controls whichever device. It's all pretty rudimentary after that.

That's all a very simplified explanation. But hopefully gets the picture across.

Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      06-22-2010 08:46 PM #27
      so, the only question left to ask is, when are you going to start building MKIV keyfobs with MKIII internals?

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GT
      06-22-2010 09:00 PM #28
      so, the only question left to ask is, when are you going to start building MKIV keyfobs with MKIII internals?
      ^
      PSN: SaMsOn32

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 09:49 PM #29
      Well, I suppose my answer to that would be, "When do you want them?". I suppose, if you provided both a MK3 and MK4 key fob. I can do a proper transfer. Nothing like what was posted in the DIY link. There's nothing special about the DIP PT2262 chip.

I will say though. Is that key fob that was listed on the SCRIBD page the standard MK3 keyless entry remote? It looks like it's from a third party. That said, it almost doesn't matter WHAT'S inside the MK3 fobs. The electronics aren't that intricate. And the most of the parts and schematics can be found at the FCC via the FCC ID, so I can use that to re-wire, or make my own board. Or dead-bug the whole thing and encase it in epoxy or plastic. Doesn't matter.

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-22-2010 11:18 PM #30
      My GOD this thread got high tech real quick...

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 11:27 PM #31
      My GOD this thread got high tech real quick...
      That's how I roll....

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-22-2010 11:45 PM #32
      I wonder if my older bro could get all techy with this subject. He mod's xbox(s) and all kinds of games, so he def has the comp know how and programming skills. Hmmm...

In any case, my car is a GLX and doesn't have a "whitebox" which I think is beat... and I would LOVE a keyless entry system. Especially the mkIV FOB to be the keyless entry.

Vehicles
      06-23-2010 12:01 AM #33
      I wonder if my older bro could get all techy with this subject. He mod's xbox(s) and all kinds of games, so he def has the comp know how and programming skills. Hmmm...

In any case, my car is a GLX and doesn't have a "whitebox" which I think is beat... and I would LOVE a keyless entry system. Especially the mkIV FOB to be the keyless entry.
      If I could ever find an investor for my patent/invention. I could have everyones' iPhones and iPads starting your cars. That aside. If someone wants to get me some pictures, or send me a dead or working WhiteBox, I think I might be able to build something to interface with it. So, in essence, you could have any keyfob open your car. (Once properly programmed FOR your car.) Pictures might work as a starter. So I can get an idea of what is inside the box. Obviously there's an RF transceiver. And I already know it operates at 315MHz over a serial waveform. (All of them do, btw. MK3-MK6) ...

And, if we REALLY feel like getting techy. I could wire in a GSM/SIM module, and open it over the internet. I might have enough spare parts here to do it.

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      06-23-2010 12:16 AM #34
      I'm gonna take a trip to the junk yard tomorrow and see what I can come back with. They had some good stuff last time, so hopefully I can find a "whitebox" or two.

Vehicles
      06-23-2010 12:30 AM #35
      Ya know. I was just thinking something as well.... If I go the FULL Custom route... I might be able to retro-fit the stock SILVERBOX. The whole alarm system is just a bunch of relays. So tapping into the power circuits for lock, unlock, windows down, might be as simple as creating a loopback to a secondary MCU interface that mimic the commands received when the key is inserted.

Granted, I'd have to take into account of the alarm circuit. And the interaction of the key modes (one turn, two turns, alarm activate, hold), but that could be circumvented or modified. Good lord, like I don't have enough projects. Once I get started, it's hard for me to stop thinking about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast