VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK1 Golf Four Wheel Drive with MK5 R32 Turbo Lump (Under Construction)

352K views 216 replies 68 participants last post by  Dubdecks 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my side project for all Vdubbers who want to get an idea of how their custom car will look before actually starting with the modifications. I'll be introducing new cars and parts over the next coming months.

Like what you see!? Like us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/Dubaliciousvw

Visit your website and create your own custom model. FOR FREE!!

http://www.dubalicious.com

Hi Everyone,

This is my MK1 golf R32 turbo build.

I'll be running a GT35 Turbo bolted to a MK5 3.2 litre 24valve engine, managed by an Emerald ECU.

I seem to have run out of space for an inter-cooler as the engine sits so far forward so I have decided to run the car without one.

I also want to keep my plastic inlet/intake manifold as my budget won't stretch to a short metal one plus the standard plastic ish* looks the business anyways.

If anyone is running a similar set up what is the maximum amount of boost I can run before the inlet/intake manifold goes BANG?

Do I need to run a spacer gasket to low the compression or could i get away with running low boost with this set up?

Has anyone actually blown one of these inlet/intake manifold before?

Is there an 80mm throttle body with adapter that i can by off the shelf?

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

initial dry fit of power plant but scuttle was in the way.

Dry fit with scuttle cut way. Much more space

Turbo, waste-gate and manifold setup.

Turbo, waste-gate and manifold setup. side angle

Turbo and manifold strapped to engine. No clearance issues. Steering still works LOL!!!!

Engine and Turbo

Engine and Turbo

The car itself.

Engine bay modifications to receive R32 lump

Steering rack modification to allow space for prop-shaft

Chassis modification to make space for engine side mount

Gearbox mount position. Chassis leg got chopped quite a bit. VW Sam is a surgeon with a cutting blade.

Chassis chopped yet again to make space for alternator

Tunnel donated by Mikey from a 4motion

Looks right at home in the MK1 Golf shell

Electric power steering setup

Electric power steering with original MK1 Golf pedals incorporated. Another CKN special.

Roll cage to stiffen up car in preparation for the power-plan. Xport special.

Roll cage

Spare wheel well gave way to new

I got a VW Golf Rallye back axle, took out the original differential (think you guys call it the tranny we call it Diff for short) and had a 318i E30 BMW diff (final drive ratio 4.44) put in its place. A bit like this one.

Then i had plates made so the whole axle could be bolted straight onto the MK1 Golf chassis.

All drive shafts and prop shaft have been modify to fit. Still using the 6 speed r32 gear box.

VW Golf Rallye back axle with BMW diff

VW Golf Rallye back axle with BMW diff (VW Sam loves a photo op)

Managed to get a VW ignition barrel to work with the electric steering column. Sweet!!

Still in the body shop.

No need for a fuel filler cap as I will be running a fuel cell in the car.

Brake upgrade from MK1 Golf to MK4 Golf V6 4motion stuff.

MK1 Golf RHD transfer pedal set up. Still in two minds about using it. Might just run a master cylinder and no servo, then i won't need the transfer pedal set up.

June 27th

Thought I'd make a start on the interior whilst the car awaits paint.

Got hold of an original dashboard from an 76' Mk1 golf. Had to had to cut it to get round the roll cage but it came out ok. Steering column still fits with no problem.

76' Mk1 Golf Dash

Stripped and ready for the chop

Chopped and screwed..............into place nicely with no clearance issues.

Chopped and screwed

Got my hands on a Westmoreland grill after 6 months of searching so it looks like I'll be getting the looks i had in mind when i started the build.

West side!!!

05 July 2010

Been researching and calculating the ratios for the BMW rear Differentials and i've realised that to get the best results I need to run a medium case E30 4.27 diff. This with a combination of 225/40/16 on the back and 215/40/16 tyres on the front will give me perfect power distribution front to back for optimum drive.

So the diff had to be taken back down so the gears can be altered. Here are some pick of the car without the diff attached.

Drive shafts and prop shaft disconnected.

3 bolts, 8 spine bolt 6 nuts and 30 minutes later

Brackets made to take BMW diff

Brackets made to take BMW diff

Reverse angle

Crude but functional

Looking forward to receiving the 4.27 crown wheel and pinion so i can get this show on the road

12th July 2010

Car still in paint shop, but due to get the interior and engine bay painted this week for sure. Here is a preview of the colour the car will be finished in.

VW Sam's VR6 Turbo Mk3 Golf fresh out the stray booth!

This weekend was a wash out. All I managed to do was get my tank. I'll be using the petrol tank from an E30 bmw as it already has a tunnel running down the middle of it plus it's metal. A few cuts here and there and it should fit back in the space where the original MK1 Golf tank was.

E30 BMW Petrol Tank

E30 BMW Petrol Tank

E30 BMW Petrol Tank

Sized up the width of the tank and the car and there isn't much difference. Still needs cutting tho. I'll do that this week.

13 July

Had some time after work so i thought I'd get to chopping my E30 fuel tank to sit nicely in the space the golf one used to sit. Had to wash it out with soap and a pressure washer so it didn't blow up once the chopping began. I could probably have just gone out and bought a fuel cell to sit inside the car but they are placed under the car from factory for a good reason, plus i need one with a tunnel running through it anyways.

Used an E30 tank as it already has a tunnel for the prop shaft

A few less than precise cuts and -1 gallon later........

About a gallon worth of capacity

About a gallon worth of capacity

Once its welded back up, i'll pressure test it and strap it back to the car.

17th July

Finally got my 2mm spacer gasket. This should lower the compression of the R32 engine from 11.3:1 to 9:1 as advised by xbluewaterx.

2mm spacer gasket

2mm spacer gasket

Gonna wait till the engine is back in the car before taking the head off to fit this. It'll be a lot easier and a little less back breaking. Fingers crossed, this should happen this weekend.

Also got my 4.27 bmw rear differential ring and pinon for the US. This is the closest to the R32 Transmission final drive ration of 4.24 that BMW make (in an E30 medium case anyways). I can now run 225/40/16 tyres on the back and 215/40/16 tyres on the front and get that mean stance. These are the tyres I had initial so it works out cheaper to switch out the ring and pinon.

Now remains the little matter of swapping the ring and pinon set in to diff casing. Was gonna get this done by the experts but then I thought i'd read up on how its done online and try it for myself. Luckily, VW Sam has some E30 building experience so the advice came in handy.

Had to make sure I wasn't getting shafted first of all so I hand to count the teeth on the ring to make sure it was a 4.27 one. Ring a pinion set for a 4.27 gear ratio should have 47 teeth on the ring and 11 on the pinon.

47 teeth on the ring, 11 on the pinon.

First order of business was to take the back casing off the diff to get access to the ring. This is held in place by about 5 or 6 easy to access bolts. The ends the drive shafts bolts to just slide out.

back end removed, shaft inputs removed.

Then the securing rings on either side of the diff where the drive shafts bolt to needs to be unbolted then the whole center of the diff comes right out. The ring is held in place by about 10 bolts. Once these are undone, the ring piece come off. O yeah, speedo spinning disc thingie need to be removed for the ring to come off but I'll be using the R32 box to get my speedo reading anyways.

Separating ring from the rest of the diff set up. Needed a little persuasion of the hammer kind.

The new ring slides in place no problem. Need to make sure the holes line up properly. This took a couple of tries.

New ring piece on, old 3.91 ring piece off and on its way to eBay.

A large bolt on the front of the diff were the prop bolts to that needs unbolting to get the pinon out of the diff casing. Once this is done, a hammer will make sure it comes out smoothly (from the inside of the diff).

the 4.27 pinion is the smaller one.

Once all the bits have been swapped over, the diff casing can be reassembled and transmission fluid added.

One impact gun, a socket set, some guess work and less than an hour later.

I decided to forge ahead regardless of the back axle issue as I can still get the car running and deal with the back end retrospectively.

Finally, the engine bay has been sprayed up. CKN delivers the goods get again.

Audi red with the piano black roll cage

Engine Bay Audi red

Piano Black roll cage

Piano Black roll cage

Body will get painted once everything else in good working order.

No time to waste, engine was chained and jacked up to go straight in with the help of guys.

VW MK5 R32 Turbo transplant ready to drop into MK1 shell.

Two scratches on the fresh paint work, 6 helpful friend, one Master mechanic (VW Sam) and 10 minutes later the R32 engine sat in the MK1 shell like it's always been there.

Mk1 Golf with MK5 R32 Turbo Engine

Had to get the 2mm spacer plate in place so the head had to come off.

R32 engine minus the head

R32 engine minus the head

Gotta wait for a new head gasket set and I managed to round a head bolt so gotta get a set of those too. Damnit!!!

See less See more
1 77
#17 ·
If anyone is running a similar set up what is the maximum amount of boost I can run before the inlet/intake manifold goes BANG?
I would only run around 8psi on the stock internals but it has nothing to do with the intake man ifold. Unless you are going with a head spacer I wouldn't run too much boost. The stock compression is 11.3:1 and if you run a head spacer you can get down to 9:1 and then you could run around 15-20psi just depending on what injectors/ software you are running.

Do I need to run a spacer gasket to low the compression or could i get away with running low boost with this set up? Read Above.

Has anyone actually blown one of these inlet/intake manifold before?
I have never seen one of these intake manifolds blow. I know some guys that run 20psi with the stock intakes all the time.

Is there an 80mm throttle body with adapter that i can by off the shelf?
I do not think that there is one.

#36 ·
Basically you can run one of the short runners if you want to clean up your engine bay and lose power down low and gain some up top.
Man, your advice as been priceless. Gonna strip my head and put a spacer gasket in there to lower the compression like you suggested. And take off my plastic intake to get painted up and stick it back on. Pictures will follow on Monday. Thanks again.

#27 ·
I'm gonna run V6 4motion front brakes with the transfer pedal set up from the RHD MK1 Golf and the MK2 Golf 1.8 16v master cylinder and brake servo. I've got Mk4 Golf rear calipers for the back.

Thinking about losing the servo and transfer pedal setup and going with one of these instead.

#29 ·
I got a VW Golf Rallye back axle, took out the original differential (think you guys call it the tranny we call it Diff for short) and had a 318i E30 BMW diff (final drive ratio 4.44) put in its place. A bit like this one.

Then i had plates made so the whole axle could be bolted straight onto the MK1 Golf chassis. Picture will follow shortly.

All drive shafts and prop shaft have been modify to fit. Still using the 6 speed r32 gear box.

Right now the car is in the body shop.

Once it comes out I'll be hoping to get it running within a month as all the running gear is in place. ECU has been ordered, dash board and wiring have already been mocked up. So its just wiring, brakes, fuel lines and plumbing left. And of course all the other little niggle bits.

#41 ·
How did you sort out the driveshafts? Did you use the original driveshafts that came with the synchro assembly or did you have to make custom driveshafts?
Thanks for the message.
The original synchro/rallye drive shaft was used on the wheel/hub side of the axle and the bmw one on the differential side. Then the two shafts were fused together then balanced to remove any risk of vibrations. The same was done on the front ones to go from the R32 gearbox to Mk1 golf hub/wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.