Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Volkswagen of America Chief Stefan Jacoby Plans Move to Replace Stephen Odell as Volvo Chief Worldwide

1. 06-24-2010 03:07 PM #1

The German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemaine (FAZ.net) reported this morning that Volkswagen of America head Stefan Jacoby has been chosen as the replacement for current Volvo Cars chief executive Stephen Odell. We’ve been told that Volkswagen's own employees have not yet been officially notified but highly placed sources at the German company's Herndon, VA headquarters confirm this is the case and an official communication is expected shortly.

Word from FAZ is that Mr. Jacoby had set his sights on the chief sales position for Volkswagen AG in Wolfsburg but when a replacement for that position was recently named and it was not him he accepted the top spot at Volvo. According to FAZ (but unconfirmed by this website's editors) is that Volvo had been in talks with several other unnamed Volkswagen executives for the spot.

Jacoby's own reign at Volkswagen of America since 2007 has been impressive if short-lived. Volkswagen's strong upward movement despite a down market has been impressive but more significant changes such as the new mid-sized sedan and start of production of VW's new American factory in Chattanooga have yet to begin. It’s unclear at this point whether Volkswagen has a replacement ready to take the helm at this point of quick change going on at VW of America.

2. 06-24-2010 07:05 PM #2
      maybe they'll put someone in that will be interested in bringing cars like the golf r20 in a stick to the states.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI DSG, 1988 Scirocco 16V, 2012 Golf R (on the list)
      06-24-2010 09:05 PM #3
      What exactly was impressive about Jacoby's leadership? Sales steadily decreased from 235k units in 2006 (the year before he took over), the ill advised Routan failed to make any real market penetration, and the marketing effort has become bland from the days of CP+B (also predating Jacoby).
      Last edited by rickerbr; 06-24-2010 at 11:41 PM.
      2006 Tornado Red GTI DSG Pkg2 LED Tails Skoda BT RNS-510 MDI Euro GTI Springs R32 rear
      1988 Scirocco 16V 24 Hours of LeMons Race Car
      2012 Golf R on the way!
      Past VW/Audi - 73 Super Beetle Convertible 88 GTI 16V 01 S4 96 Cabrio 04 New Beetle Convertible 1.8T/6sp

Vehicles
      2010 Wolfsburg & 2011 Golf TDI
      06-24-2010 10:42 PM #4
      When you get turned down by the Wolfsburg Mothership, it is time to move on. Poor Volvo will not know what hit them, Ford drops them like a hot potato and now this guy shows up. I can't be the only one who wants the new VWoA CEO to be a real car guy/gal with performance coursing through his/her veins. What VW needs, what we want, are those halo cars other markets get = The Rs, GTIs, GLIs, GTDs, even some of the sexy SEAT coupes. You want to really dominate the market - send a few shiploads of Polos to get newbie VW owners.

Vehicles
      2004 WRX, Premium Ed
      06-25-2010 10:31 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CSlowR32 View Post
      When you get turned down by the Wolfsburg Mothership, it is time to move on. Poor Volvo will not know what hit them, Ford drops them like a hot potato and now this guy shows up. I can't be the only one who wants the new VWoA CEO to be a real car guy/gal with performance coursing through his/her veins. What VW needs, what we want, are those halo cars other markets get = The Rs, GTIs, GLIs, GTDs, even some of the sexy SEAT coupes. You want to really dominate the market - send a few shiploads of Polos to get newbie VW owners.

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      06-25-2010 12:19 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by andie View Post
      Paging Jamie, maybe she wants a career change, from CEO of VWVortex to CEO of Volkswagen of America. Possibly?

7. 06-25-2010 01:18 PM #7
      Maybe they will actually listen to the consumers, go back and make a few changes before the new Jetta makes it to dealers... make it a car actually worth buying; rather than a cheap piece of carolla like tin with an even cheaper interior... Obviously nothing crazy can be done, but at least the basics like electromechanical steering, multilink rear suspension, a better trunk and hood, better stereo, get rid of that stupid push button start... basically everything the europeans get. Isn't that why we buy vw's?

8. 06-25-2010 02:11 PM #8
      I just did a back flip.
      I could not be any happier to see Rip Van Winkle go through the door. He has left a trail of destruction behind including drum brakes; torsion beams; re-badged Chryslers, de-contented GTI's, absentee Scirocco & Golf R's and reborn 2.0L antiques. Rip Van Winkle fell asleep upon arrival at VW and awakes a few years later to see the impending collapse of the VW brand and decides to cut and run before the axe falls.

I hope this is the dawn of a new era when we will see the return of a car guy at the Helm to guide the ship out of the murky waters that it has drifted in while Captain Jacoby was asleep. This will be the final nail in the coffin for Volvo.
      Last edited by 1-VW; 06-25-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      06-25-2010 02:13 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by HalfzoS40 View Post
      Maybe they will actually listen to the consumers, go back and make a few changes before the new Jetta makes it to dealers... make it a car actually worth buying; rather than a cheap piece of carolla like tin with an even cheaper interior... Obviously nothing crazy can be done, but at least the basics like electromechanical steering, multilink rear suspension, a better trunk and hood, better stereo, get rid of that stupid push button start... basically everything the europeans get. Isn't that why we buy vw's?
      Personally, I'm fine with the Americanization of the Jetta; as long as it allows for higher earnings to keep the Golf, GTI, and Jetta Sportwagen coming to the American market. I also think that the cheapening is being blown out of proportion. The torsion beam rear suspension, rear drum brakes and stereo choices are appropriate for the Jetta's core market and price point. I agree that push-button start is stupid but, it costs little to add, and the average Jetta buyer will think it is "neat." I'm not sure what is wrong with the trunk and hood on the new car. If you want what the Europeans get; you are going to have to move to Europe. Once there, you may find that not many actually get the Jetta. Or, just wait until the GLI is released

Back on topic: I wish the best for Mr. Jacoby. Like all leaders, he made good and bad decisions; I personally have very mixed feeling about the moves to facilities in the South. The Routan is debatable, but the first-gen Odyssey was nothing to write home about until 5 years after production stopped. Some have questioned his car-guy credentials; he is a true car-guy and has been known to come to local track days in his personal Porsche 964.

Volvo is an oddball not-quite-high-end, not-quite-low-end brand that is having a hard time finding its place in our current automotive landscape. Sound familiar to anyone?

Good luck Stefan, Save the wagons at Volvo

10. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-25-2010 05:05 PM #10
      Some of you guys crack me up. The Jetta is an economy car and they're selling it for maybe 2 grand less than it's previous selling price and they're probably going to net more per vehicle, too. This will help them be profitable in the U.S., possibly enabling them to bring cars far more interesting than an economy sedan ever was.

ZOMG, cheap trunk hinges!

The only thing I would care not to have on the new Jetta is the 2.0, and the 5-popper is a stand-alone option, negating it's requirement in the base car. (Of course, I'd buy a hatch anyway, as sedans make no sense for me.)

Vehicles
      MkVI VW Golf GTI
      06-25-2010 07:53 PM #11
      Dear replacement CEO,

Please bring us the Scirocco - even if it's only a limited edition run of the R.

Danke.

Vehicles
      black 2012 VW Golf
      06-25-2010 10:14 PM #12
      JarrettXavier
      Dear replacement CEO,

Please bring us the Scirocco - even if it's only a limited edition run of the R.

Danke.
      P.S. Bring the Polo. Bring the Touran. Bring back the real Transporter. Add a Polo GTI and put the Golf name on the GTI - we know it's not really a separate model from the Golf! But please bring the Polo especially. I want a base three-door hatchback. That is all.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-27-2010 11:50 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Some of you guys crack me up. The Jetta is an economy car and they're selling it for maybe 2 grand less than it's previous selling price and they're probably going to net more per vehicle, too. This will help them be profitable in the U.S., possibly enabling them to bring cars far more interesting than an economy sedan ever was.

ZOMG, cheap trunk hinges!
      They have to compete with Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc. in the economy car market and the Jetta isn't looking so good in comparison. Other manufacturers are adding to these cars while Volkswagen is taking things away. People in this market are looking for more bang for the buck.

14. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-29-2010 05:16 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
      They have to compete with Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc. in the economy car market and the Jetta isn't looking so good in comparison. Other manufacturers are adding to these cars while Volkswagen is taking things away. People in this market are looking for more bang for the buck.
      Those cars have cheap trunk hinges, too.

We'll see how it goes for them. I'd bet $20.00 they sell a LOT more cars.