Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: No good head units for Corrado..

Vehicles
      '92 8V GTI, '03 24V GTI, '93 SLC VR, '99 EK9, '03 Evo8
      07-29-2010 06:54 PM #76

Lynyrd Skynyrd makes it even funnier!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      Your hand heal enough to type?
      Yeah, smarta$$. ...for now until they have to graft skin back onto it. Then I'll be typing with one hand for a bit.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      07-29-2010 07:05 PM #77
      Perfect for those 128kpbs mp3s... Wait a minute.

I know, isn't it funny: Crystal clear low distortion amps, wide range speakers, the ultimate sound system, ...fed by a compressed mp3

A quite a few years back, I bought a high end SuperAudio-CD/DVD player and some SA cds for my home system. guess I invested in the wrong technology
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-29-2010 07:06 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      I know, isn't it funny: Crystal clear low distortion amps, wide range speakers, the ultimate sound system, ...fed by a compressed mp3

A quite a few years back, I bought a high end SuperAudio-CD/DVD player and some SA cds for my home system. guess I invested in the wrong technology
      320kpbs isnt too bad, but they are usually around 20mb per song for file size. WAV is lossless audio. At around 50-60mb per song.

It is funny, I can always tell when something is heavily compressed mp3. I can hear the clipping in it throughout the song and some of them even have a digital sound.
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-29-2010 07:20 PM #79
      Yeah, smarta$$. ...for now until they have to graft skin back onto it. Then I'll be typing with one hand for a bit.
      Next time don't go touching wires together there Frankenstein
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      3.0 Vr Corrado, 8v mk3, 8v mk2
      07-29-2010 08:22 PM #80
      My car came with out a radio speakers or a radio harness...so I said **** it I don't need that shiz amp in the trunk and an audio cable to a 3.5mm and I just run audio straight from my ipod...confuzes people when they look at the headunit sized hole in my dash and hear music. anyways more room for gauges... specifically AFR and Boost ...gauges look better than headunits anyways

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 2L 16V, 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro S-Line
      07-29-2010 10:44 PM #81
      Perfect for those 128kpbs mp3s... Wait a minute.

On top of that the quality of the original recordings are not as good as they were 15 or 20 years ago. Even if you have cd, its not as good. Eh dumbing down is trendy...

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-30-2010 12:00 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      On top of that the quality of the original recordings are not as good as they were 15 or 20 years ago. Even if you have cd, its not as good. Eh dumbing down is trendy...
      Gotta love it when everyone wants "loud" mastering done. Reminds me of cheap Bose stereos. All highs and all lows.

I guess they don't understand audio clipping and compression

Vehicles
      07-30-2010 12:09 AM #83
      All the morons that drive down my street are proof that it doesn't really matter if music sounds good as long as its loud so the whole neighborhood can hear your system.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      07-30-2010 01:20 AM #84
      All the morons that drive down my street are proof that it doesn't really matter if music sounds good as long as its loud so the whole neighborhood can hear your system.
      ^^ Yep, we have a few of them too here too....appears to be an international stupidity behaviour
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      1978 VW Scirocco, 1997 Passat GLX Wagon.
      07-30-2010 02:25 PM #85

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-30-2010 04:22 PM #86
      I have those here too... We call them mexicans

Vehicles
      '06 Jetta_TDI_DSG (4 work), '06 Jetta_TDI_5spd (4 wife), '90 Corrado_G60 5spd (x2, 4 fun)
      08-01-2010 10:25 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      my current corrado tdi's head unit (from a mk3 jetta tdi so it has green lighting that matches the stock green lighting perfectly):
      If I didn't know better, I would have thought that was my own dash not G60ING's... (the cubby cluster I don't have is the obvious difference).

If you go with the modification pictured above, you can use a Phatnoise system... Or a 6-disc changer (with the appropriate cables). If you're especially handy, you can build the adapter I made that allows me to run the HU pictured above through the stock Aktiv speakers... (no pops, no odd sounds, just VW line level outputs to the Aktiv speakers like VW intended using the yellow plug on the back of the radio and a Becker adapter)

If your stock radio harness is completely hacked up from previous owners, I suggest searching the junkyards for a Mk3 with a stock harness. If you pull the plugs from the fuse box, you can use your Lisle 56500 electrical pin removal tool to swap the un-cut wires into your existing Corrado harnesses behind the fuse panel using the information in Bentley or on A2Resource.com This would allow you to drag later model (non-aktiv) wiring to the doors with stock plugs as well...

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC - Black / 1989 Jetta GLI 16V - Tornado Red
      08-02-2010 08:30 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by g60's View Post
      Definitely the best looking one. Mystery solved.
      you forgot the cassette tape adapter and the book of matches to hold it just right so it plays properly.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta GLi, 87 Scirocco 16V, 88 Gti 16V, 89 GLi 16V, 92 SLC. 2005 Limited JGC 4.7
      08-10-2010 12:16 AM #89
      I have this, or very simaler since 2003.. love it.

15. 08-10-2010 09:32 AM #90
      Next time don't go touching wires together there Frankenstein
      Dunno why, but this made me lol.

The last page of this thread reads like it's in a different, acronym based language (kbps, IDA, DAC, mp3). My head is hurts

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      08-10-2010 11:29 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by leebro61 View Post
      Dunno why, but this made me lol.

The last page of this thread reads like it's in a different, acronym based language (kbps, IDA, DAC, mp3). My head is hurts
      It is even more funny if you know what he did to need a skin graft/ chopper ride to the hospital.

All those acronyms are easy

17. 08-10-2010 12:05 PM #92
      All those acronyms are easy
      I knew what a few of them were I'm sure I could take the time to figure out car audio stuff, but it just hasn't been my cup of tea. I've always had bigger issues to tackle. Maybe once all the other bugs are worked out, I'll get more into it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm pseudo illiterate when it comes to technology.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      08-10-2010 12:18 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by leebro61 View Post
      I knew what a few of them were I'm sure I could take the time to figure out car audio stuff, but it just hasn't been my cup of tea. I've always had bigger issues to tackle. Maybe once all the other bugs are worked out, I'll get more into it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm pseudo illiterate when it comes to technology.
      I thought you engineer types were all about the technology?

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      08-10-2010 12:19 PM #94
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

20. 08-10-2010 01:41 PM #95
      I thought you engineer types were all about the technology?
      I run/edit/create some pretty complicated technology/programs at work (ex: 3d cfd), but I have to have my girlfriend set up our wireless network at home

Vehicles
      '91 MKIII Scirrocco, '78 SuperCab F-150 Quattro with 460 Cu. In. Of Eco terror.
      08-10-2010 02:54 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      Does this light up green or blue and red?
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      Red, but I was willing to change the LEDs in it if I could find one at a reasonable price. There was a pic floating around with it lit and I know there was a Corrado member that found one one ebay a few years back.
      I can usually change out LED's or Bulbs in head units.

Quote Originally Posted by 90GreenG60 View Post
      Both of my Corrados are sporting a CDA-9856 head unit. Definitely goes well with the Corrado.
      Same as what I am running too, iused to have a Alpine 7292S Pull-out Cassette player in there, with the CD changer. Before I bought the 9856. For after Market Decks the 7292S was pretty period correct seeing I bought that back in 1992.

It is funny, I can always tell when something is heavily compressed mp3. I can hear the clipping in it throughout the song and some of them even have a digital sound.
      Same here, also hear the digital garble in the background and on low portions of the File.

Yup, I like when I jump in someones ride and have them throw in a old CD from 15 years ago and they look puzzled like "why is it playing so low?"
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      08-10-2010 03:04 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Non_Affiliated View Post

Yup, I like when I jump in someones ride and have them throw in a old CD from 15 years ago and they look puzzled like "why is it playing so low?"
      Hot mastering is all the rage these days.

Vehicles
      '91 MKIII Scirrocco, '78 SuperCab F-150 Quattro with 460 Cu. In. Of Eco terror.
      08-16-2010 03:27 AM #98
      Hot mastering is all the rage these days.
      You mean Ice pick to the forehead mastering.
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 GMC Sierra Denali, 1982 Kawasaki POS400
      02-21-2011 09:49 PM #99
      I stumbled across this thread and I apologize if this information is not helpful. If you're looking for various head-unit pictures here's one of a JVC Kameleon AVX44 I had briefly in my g60 Corrado:

(Here's the crutchfield post for more info, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9VRqKSO...-KD-AVX44.html)

It doesn't sit in flush but it has a flat face.

It had some nice features like it would play DVDs, bluetooth with the phone, ipod connectivity, etc. However, I didn't really care much for the interface. As simple as it is, a head unit without a basic rotary volume knob is troublesome. You don't want to have to divert your eyes to the radio just to turn it down. I replaced it with a Kenwood KDC-X991 (sorry, no pictures of that in the Corrado, but crutchfield has a post here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9VRqKSO...-KD-AVX44.html)

It has way more features for sound setup (crossovers, sound environment, time delays, equalizers, etc.) and I like using a USB memory stick for saving most of my music. The accelorometer (sp?) features aren't helpful but I'm really happy with the deck.

Vehicles
      02-21-2011 11:33 PM #100
      I can't stand that radio and so did most people who bought it. You're spot on about a basic volume knob. When you're driving a car something simple as adjusting the volume shouldn't take much of your attention to accomplish.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast