Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 08 Jetta 2.5L + P0480

1. 06-28-2010 06:32 PM #1
      I'm posting this here, because I'm assuming the fan assemblies aren't specific to the 2.5l.

Anyway, my wife's 2008 Jetta 2.5, just threw a P0480 code. The smaller of the two cooling fans is not working, and the larger is working what seems to be overtime.

I'm guessing the whole assembly needs replacing, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything too obvious. I'm just unsure because it only threw the single P0480 code, and it did not throw P0481. I'm assuming if it was the fan control module, it would have set off both codes, but I'm really just guessing.

I looked at the DIY, so I don't think it'll be a problem replacing the assembly if I have to.

If it is the whole thing that needs replacing, can anyone suggest a good place for replacement parts?

TIA.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4 Brilliant Red
      06-28-2010 09:42 PM #2
      I believe you must replace the whole assembly. Seems a common problem.
      Usually due to the fan control module, that looks built into the bigger fan.
      http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/8296...0-am-298k?da=y

Not a bad Idea to check with your local dealer. the shipping might balance it out.
      "It is my observation.... that too many people are spending money they don't have, or haven't earned yet,
      to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like."

3. 06-28-2010 10:43 PM #3
      I haven't looked to make sure yet but my 2.5L jetta just threw a code and the dealer wants 120 dollars to just check out the light. It happened on a 95 degree day with the car sitting idling and the fan was abnormally loud. I was just curious how yours happened and if anyone has more info on this. Can anyone chime in on details and somewhere to get this replacement part other than our local dealer. Thanks for any info, sorry if I am jacking the thread but I thought additional input and comment might help.

This is my first issue off warranty, help.

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      06-28-2010 11:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by JPatt View Post
      I'm posting this here, because I'm assuming the fan assemblies aren't specific to the 2.5l.

Anyway, my wife's 2008 Jetta 2.5, just threw a P0480 code. The smaller of the two cooling fans is not working, and the larger is working what seems to be overtime.

I'm guessing the whole assembly needs replacing, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything too obvious. I'm just unsure because it only threw the single P0480 code, and it did not throw P0481. I'm assuming if it was the fan control module, it would have set off both codes, but I'm really just guessing.

I looked at the DIY, so I don't think it'll be a problem replacing the assembly if I have to.

If it is the whole thing that needs replacing, can anyone suggest a good place for replacement parts?

TIA.
      You have a 2008...why isn't the dealer covering this??

- Jeremy.
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

5. 06-28-2010 11:55 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jtrujillo86 View Post
      You have a 2008...why isn't the dealer covering this??

- Jeremy.
      It's got like 58,000 miles on it. So, it's out of warranty.

Vehicles
      Rabbit 2.5L
      06-29-2010 12:22 AM #6
      I feel like this is a common issue for us MKV owners in the summer.

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      06-29-2010 11:15 AM #7
      It's got like 58,000 miles on it. So, it's out of warranty.
      I saw the year and completely spaced out the possibility of high mileage

- Jeremy.
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

Vehicles
      RIP 2001 Jetta 1.8T, 2009 Jetta SE 2.5L, 2013 Jetta SE 2.5L 6AT
      06-29-2010 11:38 AM #8

TIA.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...an-Replacement

this might help you
      I love Yoga pants.

K
      CCO

9. 06-29-2010 02:25 PM #9
      I have this same problem with the same car. My replacement AC fan just came in this afternoon. This is the cheapest place I found the replacement.
      http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...Radiator%20Fan

Just remember, the right side is the smaller fan that is for the AC.

10. 06-29-2010 03:01 PM #10
      I just realized that mine is the secondary smaller fan that doesn't work. I am so glad you posted this when you did. Saved me a trip to the stealership. SO... can I replace just the smaller fan or is there some controller or anything else that could have gone bad, like the relay? I am guessing that if it was a relay they both wouldn't work so it must just be my small fan? Anyone replace their's and care to enlighten me since I am getting that bad feeling about my first 2.5L VW. I have only had 1.8T and 2.0T engines before. Please tell me this 2.5 is not going to nickel and dime me to death.

11. 06-29-2010 05:02 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by trstevens View Post
      I have this same problem with the same car. My replacement AC fan just came in this afternoon. This is the cheapest place I found the replacement.
      http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...Radiator%20Fan

Just remember, the right side is the smaller fan that is for the AC.

Hey, thanks for that. That's much cheaper than the $260 that the dealership quoted me.

Vehicles
      Rabbit 2.5L
      06-29-2010 05:31 PM #12
      Pelican Parts is also pretty good with their prices.

SPAL USA, is a great aftermarket manufacturer of electric fans.

Just adding a few names, just in case you want to shop around.

13. 06-30-2010 02:36 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MN BlackMagic View Post
      I just realized that mine is the secondary smaller fan that doesn't work. I am so glad you posted this when you did. Saved me a trip to the stealership. SO... can I replace just the smaller fan or is there some controller or anything else that could have gone bad, like the relay? I am guessing that if it was a relay they both wouldn't work so it must just be my small fan? Anyone replace their's and care to enlighten me since I am getting that bad feeling about my first 2.5L VW. I have only had 1.8T and 2.0T engines before. Please tell me this 2.5 is not going to nickel and dime me to death.
      I replaced mine last night. You have to replace the complete fan which is actually very easy. There is no relay or controller, it's definitely the fan. You should buy the smaller fan and only replace that one.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ent&p=65990423
      This thread is showing the larger fan replacement which obviously you would just replace the smaller. Everything else is the same.

14. 07-01-2010 12:08 AM #14
      Thanks man, you are the man for clarifying that for me. Very simple then, I saw that post on how to do it and it looks easy enough. So I know what I need to do now, thanks for the help.

15. 07-01-2010 12:12 AM #15
      Sorry but I had to ask this simple question: Will the CEL turn off after the new fan is in or do I need to still have it turned off by the dealer? I know with another MK5 I have it turned off on its own with another issue after it was ok. Just wondering if there is more to it, hope the car recognizes the problem is solved and turns it off. Thanks for any info

16. 07-01-2010 10:55 AM #16
      Sorry but I had to ask this simple question: Will the CEL turn off after the new fan is in or do I need to still have it turned off by the dealer? I know with another MK5 I have it turned off on its own with another issue after it was ok. Just wondering if there is more to it, hope the car recognizes the problem is solved and turns it off. Thanks for any info
      I drove the car roughly 15 miles with the ac on and it did not turn off. Just take the positive battery terminal off and put back on a minute later and it will turn the light off. Good luck and God bless!

17. 07-06-2010 12:27 AM #17
      Ok so what you said about unhooking the battery cable did work, thank you, so now there are two other lights that stay on: one is the ESP light and the other is the steering wheel light, not sure what that one is for off the top of my head. It is too late for a test drive so maybe those will go away once I drive it but they stayed on idling the car in the driveway. Let me know if these will go away or is my car possessed?

Thanks for any info

18. 07-06-2010 03:02 PM #18
      Ok so what you said about unhooking the battery cable did work, thank you, so now there are two other lights that stay on: one is the ESP light and the other is the steering wheel light, not sure what that one is for off the top of my head. It is too late for a test drive so maybe those will go away once I drive it but they stayed on idling the car in the driveway. Let me know if these will go away or is my car possessed?

Thanks for any info
      If you have not already found out, those lights go off immediately upon driving the car.

19. 08-16-2012 10:48 PM #19
      Hey guys, I just had this same problem. My wife called saying her CEL was on, pulled the code at autozone and got "P-0480 and P-0481" both of course being fan circuit faults. I turned on the A/C and noticed the large fan was spinning, and would spin at what seemed like a truly "excess" speed. I was able to bump start the smaller "A/C" fan, which seemed to allow the larger fan to run slower.

I know the circuit that controls the fans is integral to the larger fan, but would you guys think the problem is within the smaller fan which keeps it from engaging? Or, could there be a problem sending the signal from the large fan, to the smaller fan to get it started? Open to ideas before I start buying parts.