Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Additive to fuel on 2010 TDI in winter!?

1. 06-30-2010 04:58 PM #1
      Okay, nobody seems to know the correct answer to this question so I figured I would consult the forum. I just bought a 2010 jetta tdi and my question is do you need to put a fuel additive in the tank during winter months? I live in Chicago where it can get quite cold. Two dealers say not to add anything if the diesel fuel is winterized (not sure how i would know that), but one person has said you need to add this otherwise the tank will freeze. Any information is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
      2010 Jetta TDI MT
      2011 Jetta JSW TDI MT

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      06-30-2010 07:01 PM #2
      A few things here....

As long as you buy fuel from a station that sells a lot of Diesel (truck stops, stations near highway interchanges are two good examples) you will probably never have a problem with fuel gelling in the winter. Fuel distributors automatically winterize the Diesel at a certain point in the year, to a certain temperature. The degree of winterization varies from region to region. Meaning, if you fill up in Chicago in December and drive to Miami for Christma-Hanu-Kwanzakah, you'll be safe on the trip south, but the fuel that you fill up with in Miami will not be adequate in CHicago (not that you'd make it on one tank, but you get my point.) For the trip north, you'd want an additive. Powerservice Diesel Kleen (white bottle) is a popular choice. You can purchase it at WalMart and many other retailers fora reasonable price.

While additives in general are not needed, they are a good idea. There's a school of thought on TDIClub that using an additive from day one will help protect the High Pressure Fuel Pump.

3. 07-01-2010 08:38 AM #3
      Thanks for the informative post. I guess I'll buy a bottle and keep it in my trunk should I need it.
      2010 Jetta TDI MT
      2011 Jetta JSW TDI MT

4. 07-02-2010 03:59 PM #4
      I asked the parts manager at my dealer who has worked for VW/Audi for 30 years and he also mentioned that he doesnt think there is a need for it due to colder climate areas having better treated diesel fuel but he also said it cant hurt anything so i am using an additive in mine everytime i fuel up...its cheap enough and seeing as how so many people are having problems with these cars Ide rather take the extra precaution

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      07-02-2010 04:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 0424valve View Post
      I asked the parts manager at my dealer who has worked for VW/Audi for 30 years and he also mentioned that he doesnt think there is a need for it due to colder climate areas having better treated diesel fuel but he also said it cant hurt anything so i am using an additive in mine everytime i fuel up...its cheap enough and seeing as how so many people are having problems with these cars Ide rather take the extra precaution
      I take everything that a service manager says--VW or otherwise--with a large grain of salt. Here's why: The service manager is in the business of making money off the customers, plain and simple. Anything that means the dealership may make less money is not advice that they'll give out.

So in relation to additives, there is some evidence that an additive will help with the longevity of the HPFP. Replacing the HPFP out of warranty will cost BIG dollars, I've read numbers ranging from $5k-$8K. So by telling you additives are not necessary, he's hoping your HPFP craps out and you come back to him for the repair work.