HERNDON, VA - Audi today reported that strong June 2010 sales propelled it to the best first-half results of any year since it began selling cars in the U.S. market.
The 48,440 vehicles Audi sold in the January-June 2010 period eclipsed the previous first-half record of 45,711 vehicle sales set in the first six months of 2007. For June 2010, Audi reported sales of 8,601 cars and SUVs, a 14.3% increase above the 7,524 cars sold a year earlier.
“We are very optimistic that 2010 will wind up as the best year Audi has ever enjoyed in the U.S. market,” said Johan de Nysschen, President, Audi of America. “We are in the enviable position of having an entire lineup of vehicles that American consumers are clamoring to own. In fact, what’s holding us back at this juncture is not having enough of the cars in stock to sell.”
Several Audi models showed sales gains in June to continue their 2010 momentum. Demand for the Audi A3, including the 2010 Green Car of the Year Audi A3 TDI®, soared 83% in June and in the first six months of 2010 stood 104.2% percent ahead of sales last year. Other strong performers in the month were the Audi A5/S5 coupe and cabriolet models, the Audi Q5 crossover and the Audi A6 luxury sedan. If sales of the discontinued A4 Cabriolet model are removed from the sales totals, June demand for the best-selling Audi A4 line finished ahead of year-earlier sales and kept up with elevated sales pace set in the past three months of 2010.
Audi sales highlights – June 2010
- Six-month sales of 48,440 topped the record of 45,711 set in 2007.
- Audi A3 June sales increased 83%; Audi Q5 crossover sales rose 48.3%.
- Audi A6 sedan continued its positive arc with 20.1% gain.
Audi A5, Audi S5 June sales and news notes
- Demand for Audi A5 and Audi S5 continued to climb during its second year in U.S.
- Sales up 121.1% in June; sales up 131.5% calendar year to date.
- Sales of performance S5 coupe and cabriolet models have been strong; 23% and 23.9% of the A5 / S5 sales mix respectively.
Audi A6 June sales and news notes
- Sales resurgence: up 20.1% in June; up 31.6% CYTD.
- Recent positive media evaluations confirm its position in competitive luxury segment.
Audi Q5 June sales and news notes
- Q5 sales in June second only to A4.
- Sales up 48.3% for June and 71.7% CYTD.
- Audi Q5 recently named “Top Safety Pick” by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Audi TDI June sales and news notes
- U.S. consumers embracing Audi clean diesel technology in Audi Q7 TDI and A3 TDI
- A3 TDI accounted for 53.4% of all A3 June sales, outpacing expectation of 20% mix.
- Audi Q7 TDI sales mix of 37.2% were limited by availability of product in showrooms.