Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 69

    Thread: 9w7 bluetooth module + rcd510 tested.

    1. Member Mr.Timewise's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2010
      Location
      Hawthorn Woods, IL USA
      Posts
      222
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tiptronic; 2002 allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
      07-14-2010 09:15 PM #26
      Just so no one is mislead...

      There are two styles of white full size displays used in the 2010 Jetta sedans and wagons.

      If you see an overhead line drawing of your vehicle in the center of the instrument cluster which indicates open doors, trunk or hood, then you have a Hi-Line instrument cluster with an MFD+ display. If you do not see this pictogram of the car when you open a door then you have a Lo-Line instrument cluster with an MFD display.

      Whether you have an RNS-510 or an RCD-510, the Lo-Line instrument cluster with a white MFD display will not show any phone information when the 9W7 is installed.

      If you have a Hi-Line instrument cluster with a white MFD+ display, all the "PHONE" menus of the 9W7 will be visible whether you have an RNS-510 or an RCD-510.

      If you have a Multi-Function Steering Wheel and a Lo-Line MFD you can still access all functions of the 9W7 via voice commands. This includes commanding the Text-to-Speech (Text Recognition) system reading of your cell's phonebook and the recording of custom voice tags for each entry in the phonebook. (Note, however, that your cell phone must have the ability to transfer the phonebook info to the 9W7. See other threads for info about which phones can and cannot do this.)

      BTW...the overhead LED light operation with the 9W7 has still not been resolved. We are waiting for the 2011 models to arrive with the 9W7 installed by the factory. Those models may or may not not have an overhead BT phone control console with or without an LED.

      As much as I originally liked the idea of an indicator light confirming the pairing of a phone to the 9W7, I don't miss it at all since the RNS-510 and MFD+ keep me informed of the BT connection status.
      Last edited by Mr.Timewise; 07-14-2010 at 09:20 PM.
      2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tiptronic Salsa Red
      9W7 Bluetooth | RNS-510 | Homelink sun visor | Extendable passenger sun visor | MFSW w/ paddles | Hi-line SWCM | Hi-Line MFD+ instrument cluster | Auto-dimming inside rear view mirror w/ compass | Trunk lid open switch in grab handle | Silver lens tail lights | Front & rear door warning/puddle lights

    2. Member flieger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2000
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      5,820
      Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      07-14-2010 11:25 PM #27
      so who has a picture of the 9W7 connected to the RCD-510? I have seen all of the RNS-510 Navi Photos...but I would like to see one connected and working on the RCD...
      2015 Audi Q5 3.0T | 2012 CW Golf R OEM+ | 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport | 1969 Kombi
      Concours Motorsport

    3. Semi-n00b Mad_TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2010
      Posts
      18
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      07-14-2010 11:42 PM #28
      I must be in the minority here, I'm very happy that the overhead status light doesn't work with the 9w7. I drive a lot at night on the highway and I found the green light to be WAY too bright and very distracting. If I need to know the status of the sync I can see much more info in my MFD+ than the annoying green light can ever hope to display. The 9w7 is awesome!
      2010 Golf TDI Highline 6MT - Tint - R-Line LED Tails

    4. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-14-2010 11:47 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      so who has a picture of the 9W7 connected to the RCD-510? I have seen all of the RNS-510 Navi Photos...but I would like to see one connected and working on the RCD...
      there's nothing to see connected to the rcd-510. there aren't any phone buttons on the touchscreen...all there is is what's on the mfd.

    5. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-14-2010 11:47 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Timewise View Post
      Just so no one is mislead...

      There are two styles of white full size displays used in the 2010 Jetta sedans and wagons.

      If you see an overhead line drawing of your vehicle in the center of the instrument cluster which indicates open doors, trunk or hood, then you have a Hi-Line instrument cluster with an MFD+ display. If you do not see this pictogram of the car when you open a door then you have a Lo-Line instrument cluster with an MFD display.

      Whether you have an RNS-510 or an RCD-510, the Lo-Line instrument cluster with a white MFD display will not show any phone information when the 9W7 is installed.

      If you have a Hi-Line instrument cluster with a white MFD+ display, all the "PHONE" menus of the 9W7 will be visible whether you have an RNS-510 or an RCD-510.

      If you have a Multi-Function Steering Wheel and a Lo-Line MFD you can still access all functions of the 9W7 via voice commands. This includes commanding the Text-to-Speech (Text Recognition) system reading of your cell's phonebook and the recording of custom voice tags for each entry in the phonebook. (Note, however, that your cell phone must have the ability to transfer the phonebook info to the 9W7. See other threads for info about which phones can and cannot do this.)

      BTW...the overhead LED light operation with the 9W7 has still not been resolved. We are waiting for the 2011 models to arrive with the 9W7 installed by the factory. Those models may or may not not have an overhead BT phone control console with or without an LED.

      As much as I originally liked the idea of an indicator light confirming the pairing of a phone to the 9W7, I don't miss it at all since the RNS-510 and MFD+ keep me informed of the BT connection status.
      what he said.

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2010
      Location
      Ashburn VA
      Posts
      40
      07-25-2010 09:29 AM #31
      Just exactly what part do yo have to replace? THe head unit? the dash display? What?

    7. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-25-2010 10:31 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010JettaTDI View Post
      Just exactly what part do yo have to replace? THe head unit? the dash display? What?
      Just the 5x7ish box under the seat then vag-com to activate button on steering wheel. Plug and play pretty much.

    8. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2010
      Location
      Ashburn VA
      Posts
      40
      07-25-2010 10:52 AM #33
      Tks

    9. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-25-2010 10:55 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010JettaTDI View Post
      Tks
      one more thing though...i don't know what multi-function display is in a tdi. if yours isn't the same as the one in the gti, you'd probably have to replace that to get it all the phone book and call info to display...

      EDIT: nevermind...it looks the same at vw.com.

    10. Junior Member Gnavicks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2004
      Posts
      78
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI, 1998 VW Golf GL, 1991 VW Fox Wolfsburg Edt.
      07-25-2010 02:37 PM #35
      I know the 9W7 supports the A2DP Bluetooth profile but does it support AVRCP as well? If it does, will the RCD-510 display the metadata for the song that is playing or does it just allow for basic controls?

    11. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-25-2010 03:48 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Gnavicks View Post
      I know the 9W7 supports the A2DP Bluetooth profile but does it support AVRCP as well? If it does, will the RCD-510 display the metadata for the song that is playing or does it just allow for basic controls?
      I wish. Just says Bluetooth audio on the screen, at least with iPhone 4...

    12. Member GunKata's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Lombard, IL
      Posts
      1,509
      Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      07-25-2010 08:08 PM #37
      I drove a 2011 Passat and was pretty impressed with the BT setup. Is it the same as this newer model/whats coming in the 2011 GTI? It had all the info in the MFD/instrument panel screen on the dash - was very nice.
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

    13. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-26-2010 06:32 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
      I drove a 2011 Passat and was pretty impressed with the BT setup. Is it the same as this newer model/whats coming in the 2011 GTI? It had all the info in the MFD/instrument panel screen on the dash - was very nice.
      man, i can't remember the last time i was in a passat...but what you're describing sounds like what you'll see in your 2011 gti.

    14. Junior Member Gnavicks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2004
      Posts
      78
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI, 1998 VW Golf GL, 1991 VW Fox Wolfsburg Edt.
      07-27-2010 08:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by hermitizer View Post
      I wish. Just says Bluetooth audio on the screen, at least with iPhone 4...
      I was really hoping the 9W7 had AVRCP, oh well. Who makes a Bluetooth module that supports both A2DP and AVRCP and can easily be swapped with the 9W2?

    15. Member SVTunit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      MI
      Posts
      103
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      08-03-2010 09:08 PM #40
      Just got mine today. Easy install on a RCD-510! How long did it take for your phone book to download? I have a droid and it kept on stopping Any help would be appreciated!
      Andreas

    16. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      08-03-2010 09:10 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTunit View Post
      Just got mine today. Easy install on a RCD-510! How long did it take for your phone book to download? I have a droid and it kept on stopping Any help would be appreciated!
      Andreas
      I have an iphone4...phonebook of maybe 150 or so entries took about 20-30 seconds if that? Not sure what would cause it to stop...

    17. 08-11-2010 09:33 PM #42
      Hello, I have the 2011US-spec car with the Premium 8 radio. I don't see a green LED in the overhead controls when it is paired. Everything else functions as described by the folks swapping the new module in their 2010s with the Hi line MFD display.

      Seems to be working fine, but it did fail to auto connect today. Hope that helps.

    18. Member FoneTap's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2003
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      941
      Vehicles
      2015 Mk7 GTI 4-door Autobahn 6MT
      08-12-2010 08:57 AM #43
      I have two questions.

      1) I am not necessarily looking to code my module in as using the overhead button for PTT is fine for me, but if it throws a "module not coded" fault when I bring the car in for service, that could be an issue, as my car is a lease and my dealership is incredibly anal about anything getting replaced. (You should change dealerships, yes I know thanks, next nearest one is pretty far away though) Am I correct in assuming the next time I get my car plugged in it will throw a fault ?

      2) Anyone else who does not use A2DP fed up with the incessant "Activate Bluetooth Audio?" prompts?

    19. 08-12-2010 10:16 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by FoneTap View Post
      2) Anyone else who does not use A2DP fed up with the incessant "Activate Bluetooth Audio?" prompts?
      I think someone stumbled on the reason in another thread. Not sure if this will hold up, but it may be correct and seems to explain it for me. If you have your phone paired (for phone purposes), and your phone is not set to silent, then anytime your phone receives a text, or you execute certain commands, etc. etc. it makes sound. Since your phone is paired, it tries to send that sound to the stereo (I guess via A2DP) and asks you every damn time if you want to activate bluetooth audio. I feel like I was getting this prompt a lot before, but since I got a 9W7 and have been keeping my phone in my pocket in silent mode (since I don't need it to make a call anymore), I'm not getting the prompt. I guess it could be just that 9W7 solved the problem, I did not track the behavior well enough. But try and see if you have this problem if you keep your phone on silent mode.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2010
      Posts
      639
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      08-12-2010 08:57 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Gnavicks View Post
      I was really hoping the 9W7 had AVRCP, oh well. Who makes a Bluetooth module that supports both A2DP and AVRCP and can easily be swapped with the 9W2?
      Supposedly iOS 4.1 has more bluetooth functionality that will at least allow you to skip back and forth through songs from the head unit. HOPEFULLY it will transmit meta-data.

    21. Member SVTunit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2002
      Location
      MI
      Posts
      103
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      08-16-2010 12:30 PM #46
      Nobody else is having issues with their Droid and the phone book? I can't get mine to load up. Help please!
      Andreas
      2010 TR GTI
      APR K04 • 18" TSW Rivage • Eibach Pro-kit • Koni Yellows • Borla Exhaust
      Billy Boat DP with cats • Forge Short Shift Kit • Golf R LED tails • Carbino Stage 1

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Houston, TX 77019
      Posts
      178
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      08-16-2010 12:39 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by dave999z View Post
      I think someone stumbled on the reason in another thread. Not sure if this will hold up, but it may be correct and seems to explain it for me. If you have your phone paired (for phone purposes), and your phone is not set to silent, then anytime your phone receives a text, or you execute certain commands, etc. etc. it makes sound. Since your phone is paired, it tries to send that sound to the stereo (I guess via A2DP) and asks you every damn time if you want to activate bluetooth audio. I feel like I was getting this prompt a lot before, but since I got a 9W7 and have been keeping my phone in my pocket in silent mode (since I don't need it to make a call anymore), I'm not getting the prompt. I guess it could be just that 9W7 solved the problem, I did not track the behavior well enough. But try and see if you have this problem if you keep your phone on silent mode.
      My 9W7 has not arrived yet, so I'm still sporting the 9W2. Keeping the phone in silent mode works at keeping "Activate Blueooth Audio" at bay. I'm glad silent mode works, but it's still annoying to always make sure the phone is, in fact, in silent mode.
      2010 MKVI GTI in United Gray with Titan Black leather
      2DR | DSG | Autobahn Pkg | 18" Detroits | RNS 510 Navigation | Bi-Xenons | 9W7 BlueTooth | LED Golf R Tail Lights | LED Rear License Plate Lights | OEM Front Spoiler Lip | Painted Side Markers | Noise-maker Delete | | Magnaflow CBE | H&R Sport Springs | 35% Carbon Tint | Vag'd

    23. 09-08-2010 04:09 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by ArtieMacKinlay View Post
      Supposedly iOS 4.1 has more bluetooth functionality that will at least allow you to skip back and forth through songs from the head unit. HOPEFULLY it will transmit meta-data.
      So I upgraded to 4.1 today and tried it with my 9W2. AVRCP doesn't work (no control and no metadata). I paired with a buddy's Mazda and AVRCP did work but not metadata.

      Looks like VW didn't program the AVRCP profile either way which completely sucks.

      Can anyone with a 9W7 confirm that they have AVRCP either with an iPhone (iOS 4.1) or another known working phone that has AVRCP?

    24. Semi-n00b jmyates's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2010
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      18
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG
      09-13-2010 01:46 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 1956Oval View Post
      So I upgraded to 4.1 today and tried it with my 9W2. AVRCP doesn't work (no control and no metadata). I paired with a buddy's Mazda and AVRCP did work but not metadata.

      Looks like VW didn't program the AVRCP profile either way which completely sucks.

      Can anyone with a 9W7 confirm that they have AVRCP either with an iPhone (iOS 4.1) or another known working phone that has AVRCP?
      +1

    25. Member hermitizer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2001
      Location
      Huntington Woods, MI
      Posts
      334
      Vehicles
      2010 gti
      09-13-2010 06:00 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by 1956Oval View Post
      So I upgraded to 4.1 today and tried it with my 9W2. AVRCP doesn't work (no control and no metadata). I paired with a buddy's Mazda and AVRCP did work but not metadata.

      Looks like VW didn't program the AVRCP profile either way which completely sucks.

      Can anyone with a 9W7 confirm that they have AVRCP either with an iPhone (iOS 4.1) or another known working phone that has AVRCP?
      I'm waiting for the jailbreak for 4.1...I'll post as soon as it comes out...

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •