Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9w7 bluetooth module + rcd510 tested.

Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-25-2010 03:48 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Gnavicks View Post
      I know the 9W7 supports the A2DP Bluetooth profile but does it support AVRCP as well? If it does, will the RCD-510 display the metadata for the song that is playing or does it just allow for basic controls?
      I wish. Just says Bluetooth audio on the screen, at least with iPhone 4...

Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      07-25-2010 08:08 PM #37
      I drove a 2011 Passat and was pretty impressed with the BT setup. Is it the same as this newer model/whats coming in the 2011 GTI? It had all the info in the MFD/instrument panel screen on the dash - was very nice.
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

Vehicles
      2010 gti
      07-26-2010 06:32 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
      I drove a 2011 Passat and was pretty impressed with the BT setup. Is it the same as this newer model/whats coming in the 2011 GTI? It had all the info in the MFD/instrument panel screen on the dash - was very nice.
      man, i can't remember the last time i was in a passat...but what you're describing sounds like what you'll see in your 2011 gti.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI, 1998 VW Golf GL, 1991 VW Fox Wolfsburg Edt.
      07-27-2010 08:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by hermitizer View Post
      I wish. Just says Bluetooth audio on the screen, at least with iPhone 4...
      I was really hoping the 9W7 had AVRCP, oh well. Who makes a Bluetooth module that supports both A2DP and AVRCP and can easily be swapped with the 9W2?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      08-03-2010 09:08 PM #40
      Just got mine today. Easy install on a RCD-510! How long did it take for your phone book to download? I have a droid and it kept on stopping Any help would be appreciated!
      Andreas

Vehicles
      2010 gti
      08-03-2010 09:10 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTunit View Post
      Just got mine today. Easy install on a RCD-510! How long did it take for your phone book to download? I have a droid and it kept on stopping Any help would be appreciated!
      Andreas
      I have an iphone4...phonebook of maybe 150 or so entries took about 20-30 seconds if that? Not sure what would cause it to stop...

7. 08-11-2010 09:33 PM #42
      Hello, I have the 2011US-spec car with the Premium 8 radio. I don't see a green LED in the overhead controls when it is paired. Everything else functions as described by the folks swapping the new module in their 2010s with the Hi line MFD display.

Seems to be working fine, but it did fail to auto connect today. Hope that helps.

Vehicles
      2015 Mk7 GTI 4-door Autobahn 6MT
      08-12-2010 08:57 AM #43
      I have two questions.

1) I am not necessarily looking to code my module in as using the overhead button for PTT is fine for me, but if it throws a "module not coded" fault when I bring the car in for service, that could be an issue, as my car is a lease and my dealership is incredibly anal about anything getting replaced. (You should change dealerships, yes I know thanks, next nearest one is pretty far away though) Am I correct in assuming the next time I get my car plugged in it will throw a fault ?

2) Anyone else who does not use A2DP fed up with the incessant "Activate Bluetooth Audio?" prompts?

9. 08-12-2010 10:16 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by FoneTap View Post
      2) Anyone else who does not use A2DP fed up with the incessant "Activate Bluetooth Audio?" prompts?
      I think someone stumbled on the reason in another thread. Not sure if this will hold up, but it may be correct and seems to explain it for me. If you have your phone paired (for phone purposes), and your phone is not set to silent, then anytime your phone receives a text, or you execute certain commands, etc. etc. it makes sound. Since your phone is paired, it tries to send that sound to the stereo (I guess via A2DP) and asks you every damn time if you want to activate bluetooth audio. I feel like I was getting this prompt a lot before, but since I got a 9W7 and have been keeping my phone in my pocket in silent mode (since I don't need it to make a call anymore), I'm not getting the prompt. I guess it could be just that 9W7 solved the problem, I did not track the behavior well enough. But try and see if you have this problem if you keep your phone on silent mode.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      08-12-2010 08:57 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Gnavicks View Post
      I was really hoping the 9W7 had AVRCP, oh well. Who makes a Bluetooth module that supports both A2DP and AVRCP and can easily be swapped with the 9W2?
      Supposedly iOS 4.1 has more bluetooth functionality that will at least allow you to skip back and forth through songs from the head unit. HOPEFULLY it will transmit meta-data.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      08-16-2010 12:30 PM #46
      Nobody else is having issues with their Droid and the phone book? I can't get mine to load up. Help please!
      Andreas
      2010 TR GTI
      APR K04 • 18" TSW Rivage • Eibach Pro-kit • Koni Yellows • Borla Exhaust
      Billy Boat DP with cats • Forge Short Shift Kit • Golf R LED tails • Carbino Stage 1

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      08-16-2010 12:39 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by dave999z View Post
      I think someone stumbled on the reason in another thread. Not sure if this will hold up, but it may be correct and seems to explain it for me. If you have your phone paired (for phone purposes), and your phone is not set to silent, then anytime your phone receives a text, or you execute certain commands, etc. etc. it makes sound. Since your phone is paired, it tries to send that sound to the stereo (I guess via A2DP) and asks you every damn time if you want to activate bluetooth audio. I feel like I was getting this prompt a lot before, but since I got a 9W7 and have been keeping my phone in my pocket in silent mode (since I don't need it to make a call anymore), I'm not getting the prompt. I guess it could be just that 9W7 solved the problem, I did not track the behavior well enough. But try and see if you have this problem if you keep your phone on silent mode.
      My 9W7 has not arrived yet, so I'm still sporting the 9W2. Keeping the phone in silent mode works at keeping "Activate Blueooth Audio" at bay. I'm glad silent mode works, but it's still annoying to always make sure the phone is, in fact, in silent mode.
      2010 MKVI GTI in United Gray with Titan Black leather
      2DR | DSG | Autobahn Pkg | 18" Detroits | RNS 510 Navigation | Bi-Xenons | 9W7 BlueTooth | LED Golf R Tail Lights | LED Rear License Plate Lights | OEM Front Spoiler Lip | Painted Side Markers | Noise-maker Delete | | Magnaflow CBE | H&R Sport Springs | 35% Carbon Tint | Vag'd

13. 09-08-2010 04:09 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by ArtieMacKinlay View Post
      Supposedly iOS 4.1 has more bluetooth functionality that will at least allow you to skip back and forth through songs from the head unit. HOPEFULLY it will transmit meta-data.
      So I upgraded to 4.1 today and tried it with my 9W2. AVRCP doesn't work (no control and no metadata). I paired with a buddy's Mazda and AVRCP did work but not metadata.

Looks like VW didn't program the AVRCP profile either way which completely sucks.

Can anyone with a 9W7 confirm that they have AVRCP either with an iPhone (iOS 4.1) or another known working phone that has AVRCP?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG
      09-13-2010 01:46 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 1956Oval View Post
      So I upgraded to 4.1 today and tried it with my 9W2. AVRCP doesn't work (no control and no metadata). I paired with a buddy's Mazda and AVRCP did work but not metadata.

Looks like VW didn't program the AVRCP profile either way which completely sucks.

Can anyone with a 9W7 confirm that they have AVRCP either with an iPhone (iOS 4.1) or another known working phone that has AVRCP?
      +1

Vehicles
      2010 gti
      09-13-2010 06:00 PM #50

I'm waiting for the jailbreak for 4.1...I'll post as soon as it comes out...

Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG
      09-13-2010 06:12 PM #51
      What app do you use after the jailbreak? - waiting for it too

Vehicles
      2010 gti
      09-14-2010 10:29 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by jmyates View Post
      What app do you use after the jailbreak? - waiting for it too
      mywi is the main reason i have it...nothing to do with the car though. am i missing anything?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG
      09-14-2010 10:42 AM #53
      mywi is the main reason i have it...nothing to do with the car though. am i missing anything?
      ah, thought you were talking about an app that extends the avrpc capabilities or at least lets you change their state.

Yea, MyWi rocks

19. 10-06-2010 08:50 AM #54
      Hey guys...any solution for people WITHOUT steeringwheel contols? (Wolfsburg or Sportwagen) We also don't have the MFD behing the steering wheel. I'd like to at least get caller ID and access my phone contacts and make phone calls from the touch screen. Is there a different module or coding that will make that work? Thanks!

Vehicles
      2010 gti
      10-06-2010 09:39 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by blubusdrvr View Post
      Hey guys...any solution for people WITHOUT steeringwheel contols? (Wolfsburg or Sportwagen) We also don't have the MFD behing the steering wheel. I'd like to at least get caller ID and access my phone contacts and make phone calls from the touch screen. Is there a different module or coding that will make that work? Thanks!
      You'll need the highline mfd...otherwise where would the caller ID display?
      look here...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=280030&page=2
      Last edited by hermitizer; 10-06-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: link

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI Highline, 2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
      10-06-2010 11:47 AM #56
      there's nothing to see connected to the rcd-510. there aren't any phone buttons on the touchscreen...all there is is what's on the mfd.
      Andreas
      I have an iphone4...phonebook of maybe 150 or so entries took about 20-30 seconds if that? Not sure what would cause it to stop...

hey guys, just to clarify, i'm going to be getting a jetta with 9w7, rcd510 (and very useless MFI), and when test driving the car I didn't think the RCD510 had any info/control for a phone connection besides A2DP. Is there a section there where you can download the phonebook?

22. n00b
      Vehicles
      '08 Jetta, '10 GTI
      10-20-2010 04:49 PM #57
      Now that the iOS 4.1 jailbreak has been out, have you had a chance to see whether or not AVRCP works and song information is displayed with the 9w7?

23. 10-22-2010 08:40 AM #58
      can someone please explain in simple terms.. what exactly needs to be done to enable call display on RCD510 WITH 9W7 (2011 VW JETTA TDI).

Im so frustrated to keep opening the glove box to see who is calling me!!

Its now more of a safety issue than anything else..

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 4-door UGM
      10-22-2010 11:10 AM #59
      What would you loose with the rcd310 instead of the rcd510? I assume all of the radio screens, but you get everything on the MFD?

What functionality is only on the radio display and not the MFD?

Vehicles
      2010 MKVI Golf 2.5L
      10-22-2010 01:23 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by tunebrain View Post
      can someone please explain in simple terms.. what exactly needs to be done to enable call display on RCD510 WITH 9W7 (2011 VW JETTA TDI).

The RCD510 doesn't have a call display function like the RNS510 (Navi). Does the 2011 Jetta have a MFD+ display on your dash? This is the display that has car silhouette when you open the doors. The 9w7 should display your BT connection to the MFD+ if you have the phone menu displayed.

I have the RCD510 + 9w7 setup in my 2010 Golf. Check out this thread for pictures and some discussion on this set up. The cool stuff is all with the RNS510 though but there are side discussions about the RCD510.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...&highlight=9w7

26. Member
      Vehicles
      10-22-2010 01:34 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by tunebrain View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 6luv View Post
      The RCD510 doesn't have a call display function like the RNS510 (Navi). Does the 2011 Jetta have a MFD+ display on your dash? This is the display that has car silhouette when you open the doors. The 9w7 should display your BT connection to the MFD+ if you have the phone menu displayed.

I have the RCD510 + 9w7 setup in my 2010 Golf. Check out this thread for pictures and some discussion on this set up. The cool stuff is all with the RNS510 though but there are side discussions about the RCD510.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...&highlight=9w7
      Currently the mkvi jetta only has a very simple MFI, nothing at all like the MFD/+ that the golfs can get.

I guess the only way to get any phone info on the radio unit is to swap it with an RNS315 or 510

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-22-2010 01:53 PM #62
      Nobody else is having issues with their Droid and the phone book? I can't get mine to load up. Help please!
      Andreas
      I installed mine yesterday (thanks Paul!) I had big problems with my phonebook download at first. I finally got it work like this (it took about 30 seconds for 264 entries)

Go into the settings on the MFD and select phone -> settings-> phonebook Start the download.

Look at your Droid (I have the X, it's the same) On the top bar it will say "Phonebook requested". You need to slide that down and select "Allow". I also selected "Always allow". You have to do the pretty quickly.

Good luck!
      2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      10-27-2010 06:31 AM #63

Quote Originally Posted by ezeddie View Post
      Now that the iOS 4.1 jailbreak has been out, have you had a chance to see whether or not AVRCP works and song information is displayed with the 9w7?
      Not sure if you guys were still interested in this or not, but I've been playing a bit with an iPhone 4 on 4.1 in my '11 Jetta that has RCD510 & 9w7, and there is no AVRCP or metadata on the RCD at all.

One thing I find completely annoying now, with A2DP enabled, audio goes through the car like expected, but if I switch to SAT/FM or something else, any sounds coming through the iPhone aren't played, like sms, mail, nav, etc. I do use the a2dp pretty often, so I don't want to disable it, but almost need to find a way to not have sms/mail tones go through a2dp as well.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      10-27-2010 06:48 AM #64
      no dice on the overhead light via vag-com. oh well. everything else works though...including steering wheel button to activate voice control...
      I have RNS315 with 9W7 from factory and my green/orange light is not on either, so i dont think you can turn it on.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

30. Member
      Vehicles
      10-27-2010 07:02 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Focus View Post
      I have RNS315 with 9W7 from factory and my green/orange light is not on either, so i dont think you can turn it on.
      makes you wonder what the purpose of that light is for now?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      10-27-2010 09:02 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by dhambrick View Post
      I installed mine yesterday (thanks Paul!) I had big problems with my phonebook download at first. I finally got it work like this (it took about 30 seconds for 264 entries)

Go into the settings on the MFD and select phone -> settings-> phonebook Start the download.

Look at your Droid (I have the X, it's the same) On the top bar it will say "Phonebook requested". You need to slide that down and select "Allow". I also selected "Always allow". You have to do the pretty quickly.

Good luck!
      Dhambrick you are the man! Thanks soooo much. I was getting really pissed of trying to figure it out. I followed your instructions and it works like a charm! Thanks again. A really big !
      2010 TR GTI
      APR K04 • 18" TSW Rivage • Eibach Pro-kit • Koni Yellows • Borla Exhaust
      Billy Boat DP with cats • Forge Short Shift Kit • Golf R LED tails • Carbino Stage 1

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-27-2010 09:07 PM #67
      Dhambrick you are the man! Thanks soooo much. I was getting really pissed of trying to figure it out. I followed your instructions and it works like a charm! Thanks again. A really big !
      No problem. I was cussing it for a while myself until I figured it out. Also, if you adjust your phone-book in the Droid (like selecting to not display all your Facebook contacts), it will automatically update the phone-book in the car to reflect what shows in your phone (if you selected "always")
      2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport; 2006 Shinka RX8 20B Twin Turbo
      03-24-2013 04:01 PM #68
      So let me get this straight, you are spending $300 for A2DP?

OR does it recognize the cellphone phonebook and not the car's phonebook with voice tags?

I would get it if it did both, but just A2DP? I have MDI and a USB cable and I can play my music there (no streaming but hey, $300 more in my pocket IMHO)

Anybody care to test and CONFIRM it DOES recognize names from cellphone's phonebook?

US RCD-510 with 9w7 bluetooth module. Also, any mods besides VCDS? (ie. extra wiring?)

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sports
      11-27-2013 10:40 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by m4f1050 View Post
      So let me get this straight, you are spending $300 for A2DP?

OR does it recognize the cellphone phonebook and not the car's phonebook with voice tags?

I would get it if it did both, but just A2DP? I have MDI and a USB cable and I can play my music there (no streaming but hey, $300 more in my pocket IMHO)

Anybody care to test and CONFIRM it DOES recognize names from cellphone's phonebook?

US RCD-510 with 9w7 bluetooth module. Also, any mods besides VCDS? (ie. extra wiring?)
      2 extra wires needed for stereo sound for BT streaming run from 9w7 BT module to back of radio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12