Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Leg is Killing Me

Vehicles
      2003 Jazz Blue 20th GTI, 2010 CW GTI, 2005 PG GLI, 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT, 1998 Yellow GTI VR6
      07-06-2010 11:40 AM #1
      I've had my new 2010 GTI for about 2 months now and my right leg and knee are killing me. This is my first automatic in over 15 years, a decision I made so the wife could drive on long trips. For some reason, the location or position of the pedals is hurting my right knee and leg. I have tried every seating position, adding pillows, towels, but nothing works.

Is anyone else having these kinds of issues or am I just deformed? I've driven many cars in my time and never had an issue like this with any other car.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI
      07-06-2010 11:41 AM #2
      the gas pedal is too far over to the right on these cars. It's frustrating as my leg rests against the side as well. Knee rubbing on the carpet is so uncomfortable.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2002 Audi TT quattro
      07-06-2010 01:14 PM #3
      I get knee pain from the gas pedal placement and hip pain from the clutch pedal placement. I wonder if the warranty covers physical therapy

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      07-06-2010 01:37 PM #4
      The accelerator is placed pretty far to the right, I have noticed it's not that comfortable either. I use cruise all the time however, so the problem only really happens in traffic where I can't use CC.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG / CSG
      07-06-2010 02:36 PM #5
      Weird. How tall are you? What are your seat settings?

6. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      07-06-2010 03:08 PM #6
      ive noticed this a bit as well
      1985 Golf - 1991 Jetta GL - 1997 Jetta Trek - 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg - 2002 GTI 337 - 2004 R32 - 2004 R32 - 2010 GTI Autobahn - 2012 Golf R - 2013 Tiguan SEL - 2013 Golf R - 2015 GTI Autobahn - 2015 .........

Vehicles
      Candy White '10 GTI 6M
      07-06-2010 03:39 PM #7
      I just drove from LA to Sacramento and back, and my knee hurt a lot for most of it. I thought I was the only one. I tend to have my leg closer to the middle and then tilt my foot outward, so its at an angle like / with my toe/ball part of my foot on the pedal. That hurts too after a while though, because of the twist in the leg.

I'm actually kinda uncomfortable overall with the cockpit... I keep trying different adjustments and nothing ever feels right
      EVE's Build Thread • APR Stage II / BSH RACE / B&B 3" / DG S6 / B&G RS2 / MOTUL / VMR

facebook twitter wheelflip • PM me for VAGCOM in NoVA

Vehicles
      '10 GTI CW 2 dr stick
      07-06-2010 04:25 PM #8
      Wow - I'm amazed that so many people don't like the cockpit or positioning! I think it's awesome and wish more cars were set up as well for me. Going through an Audi driving experience did help me learn what the correct driving position - at least according to VAG ergonomics philosophy. Bear in mind I'm a whopping 5'7" with short legs and this still works. Adjust the following in this order (according to the Audi driving instructors).

1) seat height - you should be able to put your fist vertically on top of your head and touch the headliner barely. Helmets make a difference here.

2) then adjust seat distance from the pedals - your left leg slightly flexed when brake/clutch pedal all the way to the firewall/floorboards.

3) seatback rake (angle) to completely support you. That means your back (including shoulder blades) is pressed against the seatback and the seat is doing the work, not you holding yourself up causing muscle strain.

4) headrest set so that it hits the middle of your head/helmet. You should be able to relax your back and have your upper back and head 100% supported by the seat & headrest.

5) steering wheel angle so that the top rim is level with the dash binnacle and doesn't block insturment panel viewing.

6) steering wheel telescoped in or out so that your outstretched arms hit the top of the wheel on the inside of your wrists.

This might feel unusual/strange/weird/wrong at first until you adapt. The steering wheel felt way too close at first for me, now it's second nature.

$0.02

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2002 Audi TT quattro
      07-06-2010 04:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
      Wow - I'm amazed that so many people don't like the cockpit or positioning! I think it's awesome and wish more cars were set up as well for me. Going through an Audi driving experience did help me learn what the correct driving position - at least according to VAG ergonomics philosophy. Bear in mind I'm a whopping 5'7" with short legs and this still works. Adjust the following in this order (according to the Audi driving instructors).

1) seat height - you should be able to put your fist vertically on top of your head and touch the headliner barely. Helmets make a difference here.

2) then adjust seat distance from the pedals - your left leg slightly flexed when brake/clutch pedal all the way to the firewall/floorboards.

3) seatback rake (angle) to completely support you. That means your back (including shoulder blades) is pressed against the seatback and the seat is doing the work, not you holding yourself up causing muscle strain.

4) headrest set so that it hits the middle of your head/helmet. You should be able to relax your back and have your upper back and head 100% supported by the seat & headrest.

5) steering wheel angle so that the top rim is level with the dash binnacle and doesn't block insturment panel viewing.

6) steering wheel telescoped in or out so that your outstretched arms hit the top of the wheel on the inside of your wrists.

This might feel unusual/strange/weird/wrong at first until you adapt. The steering wheel felt way too close at first for me, now it's second nature.

$0.02
      I've never had these issues in any other car including my TT and my friends A4 that I borrowed for a month. So I don't think it has anything to do with "VAG ergonomics philosophy".

Vehicles
      '10 GTI
      07-06-2010 04:52 PM #10
      You're deformed.

No seriously, I'm an old fart and I've driven my GTI for 11 hours on a trip and felt great when I got there.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI White, 1984 GTI White
      07-06-2010 05:52 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1.8 View Post
      the gas pedal is too far over to the right on these cars. It's frustrating as my leg rests against the side as well. Knee rubbing on the carpet is so uncomfortable.
      What carpet are you talking about? Mine knee rests on the side also, I find it relaxing. I tend to not use the dead pedal very much because it doesn't feel right for my left knee/leg position.

Vehicles
      2010 CSG GTI
      07-06-2010 06:16 PM #12
      My previous Audi was brutal for this and still get it once in awhile in the GTI.

I have noticed that when positioning the seat front to back it seems to aim itself ever so slightly to the left or right as you progress forward or back a tooth in the locking mechanism. Try lifting up on the lever and BARELY moving the seat back to the next locking point. If you listen closely you can also hear the locking noise alternate side to side when clicking in place. Its not a total fix but does help somewhat if your seat is pointed inward.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      07-06-2010 06:29 PM #13
      I've had this issue for a couple of weeks. It got so bad that when I would get out of my car, some muscle or something would almost pop in my hip and almost cause me to collapse. I know it sounds odd, but damn I'm only 30 and have never had any issues of this nature and the only thing that has changed is my car. It's my daily driver and although I find driving it to be extremely comfortable, it's not until I go to stand up that I have this issue.

I am glad to hear that other people are experiencing this, although I'm not happy that you're in pain haha

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M CW
      07-06-2010 06:36 PM #14
      I just drove from northwest Wisconsin down to Lawton, Oklahoma, with a few short stops on the way. I didn't have really any problems, and I even pulled over and slept in the driver seat for a half hour. I thought that I had plenty of room and was quite comfortable.
      Thanks,
      Steven

15. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      07-06-2010 06:36 PM #15
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 07-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 Jazz Blue 20th GTI, 2010 CW GTI, 2005 PG GLI, 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT, 1998 Yellow GTI VR6
      07-07-2010 10:52 AM #16
      Well, in a way I'm glad to hear that others are having the same problem. Unfortunately that doesn't help me or the others who are having pain. I'm seriously considering having the pedals modified and moved slightly to the right.

As for seating position, I've been to numerous performance driving schools where they teach the proper position. However, these usually aren't comfortable for daily, leisure driving.

I'm 5'10", so I know I fit within the 99th percentile that these cars are designed for (I'm not the anomoly ).

SixZeroFour, thanks for the tip, I'll try anything at this point.

SoCalMK6GTI, I'm having basically the same symptoms as you. Maybe we can get a 2 for 1 offer at the physical therapist. Like I mentioned, never has any problem like this before, and I'm only 32 years old. Not quite ready to give up, roll over and drive a "comfortable" car yet.

I tried pulling the dash apart a couple days ago to see if removing the angled part of the console would give me any relief. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far because this car it put together too well.

Best of luck to all those in pain. If anyone finds a miracle fix (titanium knee joint replacement?) let me know.

Vehicles
      2010 TDI Golf 2dr, manual
      07-08-2010 12:07 PM #17
      Freaky indeed. I did a 9 hour trip from Crescent City, CA to Seattle and honestly believe it was the most comfortable car I have ever had. The only driving position that changed for me was every few hours I'd adjust the lumbar.
      2010 TDI Golf 2dr., 6-speed manual, Shark-Blue, 35% tint and Votex Sport Styling Kit

07-10-2010 10:02 PM #18
      This used to happen to me in my s4 avant, and on top of that the sport seats were so stiff that on long trips it really tired out the body.

For me the KEY was to make sure I did not externally rotate (right foot toes pointing to far right) my leg FROM my hip. It is the external rotation, over long periods, that can make driving certain cars very uncomfy.

Funny enough the Prius and Chrysler I often rent for work trips give you excellent pedal-foot-leg-hip alignment and allow you to put the car on cruise control and place your feet flat on the floor for perfect posture....crazy I know!

Porsche 993 offset pedals are also miserable and the '04 r32 seat was too rigid for long trips as well

I am 5-9 and 155lbs with a 31" inseam. Runner/Cyclist

Vehicles
      Mk4 GTI, C7 3.0T Quattro, 335i
      07-10-2010 11:42 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by firebird92 View Post
      I've had my new 2010 GTI for about 2 months now and my right leg and knee are killing me. This is my first automatic in over 15 years, a decision I made so the wife could drive on long trips. For some reason, the location or position of the pedals is hurting my right knee and leg. I have tried every seating position, adding pillows, towels, but nothing works.

Is anyone else having these kinds of issues or am I just deformed? I've driven many cars in my time and never had an issue like this with any other car.
      WOW you been driving manual for 15 years and you buy an automatic so your wife can drive it???

How about your wife learning how to drive a stick, its not that damn hard. And then both of you enjoy the car. But then again, why learn something in life when you can go without learning it.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      07-10-2010 11:51 PM #20
      Kind of a pointless waste of your time, and more importantly ours, and the OPs don't you think? Who cares what tranny he has or why he bought it, or what reason he had. This thread is about his leg.

It would be nice if more people would stay on topic.

Tranny aside, I tried adjusting my seat as according to the diagram above and it seems to be working already. Thanks for the link. I'm sitting with better posture, not all "G'd" out anymore

I think my driving has even improved thanks to this, I think my seat has always been a bit low, not so much reclined, just lower than optimal.

21. 07-11-2010 03:08 AM #21
      didnt think this would be from my car, but im 6'3 and have been feeling pains in my right leg as well..kind of unfortunate, for 25 grand you would think a little bit more comfort =) but im more worried about keeping my car clean and in shape than my leg being messed upp

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      02-06-2011 01:16 PM #22
      For some reason, the location or position of the pedals is hurting my right knee and leg. I have tried every seating position, adding pillows, towels, but nothing works.
      though not quite as bad as you... i am having this issue also. did you ever get it worked out? i have had my golf tdi for about 2 months now and still not quite been able to get completely comfortable on longer trips. the waterfall console combined with far right pedal locations make it difficult to turn the right leg outward at all which typically is how i have always driven. i end up needing to awkwardly twist the ankle from gas to brake, etc. moving the seat up higher the last few weeks has helped, but still not quite there. i have even debated temporarily removing the top portion of the front console, but knowing that would not be a good long term solution aesthetically i have tried to work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMK6GTI View Post
      I've had this issue for a couple of weeks. It got so bad that when I would get out of my car, some muscle or something would almost pop in my hip and almost cause me to collapse. I know it sounds odd, but damn I'm only 30 and have never had any issues of this nature and the only thing that has changed is my car. It's my daily driver and although I find driving it to be extremely comfortable, it's not until I go to stand up that I have this issue.
      my discomfort also seems to be more residual (i.e. after driving) then during. my commute is also rather long (about 50 miles). cruise helps some, but there is very limited space to put the right foot w/o being able to bend the right leg outward when combined with the floor mounted gas pedal. i find myself most comfortable with it under the brake pedal when using CC (which i am not too crazy about).

other than this one issue, i really enjoy the golf tdi thus far. like many of the other posters i have never quite experienced this before. i have owned a variety of vehicles and 3 VWs. i am 5'-10" with 34" inseam. any additional info on this appreciated.
      Last edited by davidch; 02-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      02-06-2011 07:49 PM #23
      I'm gonna give the seat adjustment recommendations a shot, but I don't experience any pain with my "gangster lean."
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
      02-06-2011 08:24 PM #24
      I've never had a problem with the seating in my GTI. Going from a '95 Saturn to a '03 GTI and actually having bolsters on the seats made my leg hurt a little bit, but I got used to it. The pedals are over to the right, and I prefer that actually. I dont use the dead pedal because I sit so close to the pedals as it is (damn short legs) and I dont like my leg being flexed when resting my leg.

I have a hip problem and knee problems and driving my car actually makes me feel incredible. Driving other cars for instance, like, cars that the cushion bottoms that do not tilt, make me feel groggy getting out of it because it does not support my legs.

Vehicles
      2011 CSG Autobahn
      02-06-2011 08:36 PM #25
      i'm 6' 5" and really have no issues with leg or hip cramps, pains, discomfort even with my hour long commute too and from work.

i will admit that I would like to see the clutch pedal moved a little more to the left...

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      02-07-2011 02:48 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by pat_mkVI View Post
      i will admit that I would like to see the clutch pedal moved a little more to the left...
      Yeah, and a little higher. Why is it almost in the center, rather than left (foot well intrusion crash rating? ), and why is it much lower (when depressed) than the other two?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      02-07-2011 07:57 PM #27
      nice to know i was not imaging this...

Vehicles
      03-15-2011 07:19 PM #28
      So it has been a couple months since I originally posted and I have been doing physical therapy the entire time. The therapist has tried everything under the sun and nothing has helped. Two weeks ago I asked to borrow my Dad's BMW 330. After a couple days my knee was feeling 50% better and now I am at 100%. It is definitely the car causing this.

I have tried all the seating adjustments and nothing has completely fixed the issue.

Anyone know of a shop in Southern CA who might be willing to move the pedals to the left a bit?

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 1997 Cabrio
      03-15-2011 09:42 PM #29
      It might just be psychological, but I found that if I remove my wallet - my knee hurts less. I keep telling myself that getting old is better than the alternative. Good luck.

Vehicles
      07 SB Rabbit(sold), 10 UG 4dr GTI(sold), e86 //M coupe
      03-15-2011 10:17 PM #30
      i don't get any pains...i have had knee issues from catching for years, even though i'm only 20

by biggest complaint it that i wish the clutch and brake were closer to the firewall and the accelerator was an inch to the left, or the steering wheel came out another inch...i have long legs and not so long arms

31. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      03-15-2011 10:24 PM #31
      So it has been a couple months since I originally posted and I have been doing physical therapy the entire time. The therapist has tried everything under the sun and nothing has helped. Two weeks ago I asked to borrow my Dad's BMW 330. After a couple days my knee was feeling 50% better and now I am at 100%. It is definitely the car causing this.

I have tried all the seating adjustments and nothing has completely fixed the issue.

Anyone know of a shop in Southern CA who might be willing to move the pedals to the left a bit?
      might be easier to move the seat and the rails to the right
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 03-15-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
      03-15-2011 10:40 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      might be easier to move the seat and the rails to the left
      ^seat to the RIGHT

And if you saw the floorpan, it's next to impossible. Seat bolts to floor pan. Wouldnt have enough room between the seat and center console anyway.

If the pedals are moved over, the accessories under the hood would need to be moved over.

Sell the car, buy a different one.

33. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      03-15-2011 10:45 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqcopter View Post
      ^seat to the RIGHT

34. 03-16-2011 01:12 AM #34
      Instead of moving the entire pedal assembly (which is probably prohibitively expensive), couldn't you add a wider pedal cover? There's all kinds of different pedal covers out there - I'm sure you could find some that are wider and aren't ugly (I say this because they can get a little Fast and Furious if you're not careful).
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn

35. 03-16-2011 01:21 AM #35
      as a 6'1'' dude, I have to say I've never had problems whether it be in my old mk5 or in my new mk6, with a proper seating position, even on long highway trips, the only thing that really ever gets kind of bad is my hamstrings, and a few kegels will fix that up real quick.

Cruise control is your friend, as well as taking your shoes off/moving your feet around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast