Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car wont start has power will not turn over

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 VW GTI. 99callaway jetta. 2004 volvo S60R. 82 rabbit callaway.. 2000 A4
      07-06-2010 02:35 PM #1
      I just picked up an 82 rabbit with a callaway kit. the guy i bought the car from said it had a bad fuel pump and didnt run. i tried to jump it and had no luck. i put a good battery in the car and it still would not turn over. you turn the key all the lights come on but it doesnt turn over at all. Any thoughts on what i should check first

Vehicles
      Touran TDI , Golf Cabriolet , Golf GTI , Beetle.
      07-06-2010 03:50 PM #2
      have you tried putting power directly on the starter engine ?

this would eliminate several electrical problems you could have

and please send us pics of your newly aqcuired Callaway

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 VW GTI. 99callaway jetta. 2004 volvo S60R. 82 rabbit callaway.. 2000 A4
      07-06-2010 04:03 PM #3
      Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Vehicles
      07-06-2010 04:18 PM #4
      this is the Callaway from Gunnar Carlson.

http://www.rabbitgtipage.com/cars/carlson.html

very nice car, contact me when you need anything documentation or parts help !!

Vehicles
      07-06-2010 04:33 PM #5
      yup thats my car and the previous owner. he had every piece of paperwork with the car i was absolutely amazed. i have a stack of receipts. so that what it used to look like. have any other pics of it?

Vehicles
      07-06-2010 04:47 PM #6
      are you sure the pistons can run freely ? did the car run hot or was it stored for several years

melted pistons of crank broken ?

have you tried pushing the car to start ?

what about distributor ? do the plugs spark ?

tell me what you already tried and what results were, or just buy me a return airplane ticket 1st class
      and I will fix your problem

btw, about the documents you got from Gunnar, please make some scans or copies for me
      I am constantly looking for new Callaway material

Vehicles
      07-06-2010 07:33 PM #7
      well its just me so i cant really push start the car and i know it wont stay running cause the fuel pump is gone. i cant test for spark cause the car doesnt even turn over. i tried jumping the car right form the starter but all it did was just buzz. but i noticed that there is only one power lead going to the starter then there are two pins that have nothing conected. i turned the motor over by hand on the lower crank so i know it atleast spins. all he said to me was the battery is dead and it has a bad fuel pump. but with it not turning over even with a new battery i know its got to be something else. he said it sat for a year after the fuel pump went

and as far as the documents go it would take me months to scan or copy all the receipts he has on this car. i received a box 10x14x4h overflowing with receipts. ive owned a ton of different cars and never have recieved this much documentation on work. to the PO for keeping everything. i started reading through it last night and i spent two hours and barely put a dent in the stacks
      Last edited by 02riegergti; 07-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.

8. Member
      07-06-2010 07:45 PM #8
      Are the two pins two spade terminals? There should be a black and red wire with a female spade terminal that powers the solenoid from the ignition switch. If you can find the black and red wire you can use a multimeter to check it for power (12V DC) as the ignition switch is turned to start.

It sounds like the starter is bad since you can't direct wire the starter from the battery. Check the starter terminals for corrosion and also check that the short braided copper wire from the solenoid to the starter body is intact. I've seen those wires corrode through and not transmit power. You couldd pull the starter out of the car and have it checked.

There must be someone around your neighborhood that could help you push start the car. FR

Vehicles
      07-06-2010 08:42 PM #9
      yeah there spade terminals. there is no wires at all connected to them. the only wire on the solenoid is the big power wire that goes directly to the battery. ill take a pic of the starter solenoid so you can see.
      also if i direct start the car through the starter what terminals do i put the power and ground? or does it matter

Photobucket
      Last edited by 02riegergti; 07-06-2010 at 08:54 PM.

10. Member
      07-06-2010 11:36 PM #10
      You are going to have to find the wire that comes from the ignition switch. It is usually black and red --
      a lot smaller than the big red wire. To bypass the solenoid you need to jumper to the other terminal with
      the nut. Make darn sure that the car is in neutral. There is usually a larger red wire that comes from the alternator to the solenoid -- but sometimes that wire goes directly to the battery. FR

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 02:20 PM #11
      so i found the black/red wire and hooked it back up to the solenoid and the car fired right up. it ran for about 30 seconds then died and wont fire anymore. now onto the fuel pump. i started to take the pump out and the damn thing looks brand new. all the fittings are brand new and everything. didnt get it all the way out damn rain. started to pour out. almost thinking it could be the relay now seeing how the fuse box is dangling on the floor of the drivers seat

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 03:42 PM #12
      good to hear you made "little"progress.

nice to hear this car is very well documented.

I just need copies of the Callaway bits not the whole stack

NO hurry, just get the car running, enjoy the boost and in wintertime think of me when its a boring snowy night.

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 03:52 PM #13
      haha thanks man ill start going through the paperwork when i can. im almost positive its the relay. i hotwired the pump and it works so its gotta be the relay. unless anyone else has an idea. is there a way to test the relays?

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 04:22 PM #14
      another update. it was the relay. replaced the relay got the car running for all of a minute. car ran extremely rough and sounded like it was skipping pretty badly. guess im going after spark now. ill do a full tuneup on it and see what happens. im sure it needs it anyway. after it started it wouldnt stay running without giving it throttle then it just died and i cranked and cranked it it wouldnt fire back up. i tested for spark and it had spark but might not be enough i guess. im not used to these old cars

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 05:11 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 02riegergti View Post
      another update. it was the relay. replaced the relay got the car running for all of a minute. car ran extremely rough and sounded like it was skipping pretty badly. guess im going after spark now. ill do a full tuneup on it and see what happens. im sure it needs it anyway. after it started it wouldnt stay running without giving it throttle then it just died and i cranked and cranked it it wouldnt fire back up. i tested for spark and it had spark but might not be enough i guess. im not used to these old cars

old cars have caracter ,
      just sit behind the wheel and fondle it , say nice words and it will run better

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 06:28 PM #16
      haha the funny thing is i was talking to her and talking nice and she still didnt start. i was like c'mon baby c'mon baby...... got nothing

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 08:16 PM #17
      so i let the car sit for about three hours went back out and it started right up. lower RPM it ran rough and seemed to skip but higher RPM it sounded perfect. i had it running for a few minutes as long as i stayed on the throttle but the second i let off the throttle the car died. after it died it wouldnt start again i cranked it for over a minute and nothing not even a sputter. i dont get it. how can it start and run then not.

18. Member
      07-07-2010 09:57 PM #18
      I forgot to say what a neat looking VW you have there. Glad you found the starter red/black wire.

My thought is that you need to get rid of the old gas. The gas we have nowdays with alcohol in it goes bad in a hurry. I have had a couple of cases of fuel pumps corroding internally and locking up while cars are in storage for a year or two. Have you put any new gas in it?? FR

Vehicles
      07-07-2010 10:42 PM #19
      nope havent put any new gas in it. the PO said it sat for only a few months. it has 3/4 of a tank it would be such a shame to waste all that gas with the prices these days. ill get it running again tomorrow and try to keep it running for longer maybe theres some crap that needs to burn out. also the throttle pedal wasnt even attached when i got in the car the other day. the cable was just kind of resting on the pedal. so before i run it tomorrow im going to get the pedal adjusted properly. that could have something to do with it dying when i release the throttle pedal. i'd really like to get the car running and keep it but i might just end up parting it out. who knows. if i get it in good running condition what do you guys think the car would be worth?

Vehicles
      07-08-2010 01:15 PM #20
      so i let it sit overnight and it started right up today. car was misfiring at low RPM still blowing white smoke then higher RPM would be fine then would start to die and blow black smoke then would sputter again then just died and wouldnt start again. took the cap off and the cap and rotor look brand new. took out the plugs and there black. any thoughts