Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Door Lock Failure (quick question)

1. 07-06-2010 09:02 PM #1
      On Saturday night I arrived at a friend's house to and went to lock my door; however, the cylinder kept spinning. What happened was the end of the cylinder had broken in the door. I can still lock it from the passenger's side and inside, though. I ordered a replacement pair of front door handles from MJMAutohaus yesterday.

My question is: Will I be able remove the door handle even though the key won't turn the lock? (You know, how when you remove the keyed door handles you have to turn the key and slide the handle instead of just sliding it.)

Pic for reference:

As you can see, I needed new handles badly anyways.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      07-06-2010 11:09 PM #2
      Yes, you will be able to remove the doorhandle, even with the lock cylinder broken.

Taking the front doorhandles off requires pulling the handle half way, and jiggling like crazy until the handle comes loose from the doorlatch lever, regardless of whether the lock cylinder is intact or not.

You will have to match the rekey the lock cylinders to match the ignition lock key, or at least each other, as doorhandles do not come with matching keys, even when you buy them in pairs.

3. 07-07-2010 12:05 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      Yes, you will be able to remove the doorhandle, even with the lock cylinder broken.

Taking the front doorhandles off requires pulling the handle half way, and jiggling like crazy until the handle comes loose from the doorlatch lever, regardless of whether the lock cylinder is intact or not.

You will have to match the rekey the lock cylinders to match the ignition lock key, or at least each other, as doorhandles do not come with matching keys, even when you buy them in pairs.
      That seems easy enough. I rekey home door locks all day at work and I've seen what the Jetta's cylinder and pins look like.

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      07-07-2010 01:30 AM #4
      the handle is probably fine. there's a piece that clips on the end of the lock cylinder and it spins the door lock when you turn the key. it's a two piece system. if you take the lock cylinder out look in the hole and see what's in there.

5. 07-07-2010 11:36 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by upoo2 View Post
      the handle is probably fine. there's a piece that clips on the end of the lock cylinder and it spins the door lock when you turn the key. it's a two piece system. if you take the lock cylinder out look in the hole and see what's in there.
      The lock cylinder is broken. Where it attaches to that second piece it snapped off.