Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta 2.0 engine into '88 Cabriolet

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '88 VW Cabriolet
      07-08-2010 09:25 PM #1
      Hello... Here I place this to describe the crazy idea of how my '88 Cabriolet is being converted and updated with the main parts from a '96 Jetta.

The idea started with just the thought of an overhaul for my car. I really wanted to make sure I enjoyed this little car for years to come and if possible, inherit to my daughter who's 4yrs old at the moment. So my friend Dave (the real miracle worker in the project) agreed to do a whole engine swap. Dollar by dollar, it is all paying off. I got this car as a graduation gift from my mother right before I got my college degree. I've had some compliments and bad comments on my car. I do thank those who have complimented. But for those who do otherwise, I just don't care. I'm happy to have this car and that I'm able to go for this project. You can message me with questions comments and ideas. I am open to constructive criticism and suggestions.

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...#ixzz0t8zX6AL4
      Last edited by Kique Gavilan; 07-10-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Update

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '88 VW Cabriolet
      07-10-2010 12:42 AM #2
      We started over a year ago... with no supplies but the Cabriolet itself, tools, and only a handful of cash. First thing we did was to strip the car off the engine, dash board, and wire harness.

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...#ixzz0tFWZ5FHk

Booster gets an MK3 Upgrade

The Radiator gets replaced with a Scirocco's

The Rack & Pinnion gets replaced witha new one (same MK1 style)

All the brackets get cutt off

The steering column gets replaced with the Jetta's

The HVAC unit gets replaced with the Jetta's and the AC gets completely cancelled out (just a heater for the winter)
      Last edited by Kique Gavilan; 07-10-2010 at 12:59 AM.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '88 VW Cabriolet
      07-11-2010 12:52 AM #3
      OK Guys... To get the project done as efficient as possible, I needed to sacrifice a '96 Jetta in perfect working condition. Nothing was wrong with it. Just a little scuff on the driver side back door. I needed this just to make sure the engine and all systems needed for the transplant were in good working order... The theory behind it is that if it is working in the Jetta, It will work on my Cabriolet (if removed patiently and very carefuly)

This is it... The Sacrifice necesary for the project. A perfectly working '96 Jetta

This engine gets prepped with a new cam, lifters, water pump, timming belt, plugs, wires, and an oil change.

The subframe is useless in the MK1 (too wide and not even close)

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '88 VW Cabriolet
      07-11-2010 10:31 PM #4
      Since the MK1 does not support a subframe, Some Motor mount adaptions had to be made to accommodate the engine. It was a total success...

Engine in place... It looks good in place, Doesn't it?

Motor Mount adaption #1

Motor Mount adaption #2

Motor Mount adaption #3

Motor Mount adaption #4

The Power Steering reservoir fits perfectly next to the new radiator

Plenty of room for the Coolant and Washer Fluid reservoirs. Pretty close to MK3 position style

The ever long and complex MK3 Electrical Harness
      Last edited by Kique Gavilan; 07-12-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Vehicles
      69 Beetle 95 Corrado
      07-12-2010 01:14 AM #5
      I'll be watching this thread, very nice choice on motor

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '88 VW Cabriolet
      07-12-2010 02:58 PM #6
      Thanx s.I.c. And I will keep updating until the whole project is done...

OK... So I showed you the engine in place and the adaptions needed to hold it. Even though the engine and tranny are the most important pieces of this puzzle, they were not the most difficult. Today I will show how we made the dash, HVAC unit and pedal box fit. Now, Don't Quote me on specific measurements... It all is a process of Fabrication: Mocking up, remove, and re-mocking until the good old eyeball says it's OK.

Remember we cut off all the brackets holding the MK1 Dash? It was to accommodate the new MK3 dash.

We had to cut off about 3 inches off the new dash on the passenger side and about 2 inches all along the side that goes to the windshield. The driver side remains the same. This is to fit the MK3 HVAC unit, and gives the Steering column U-joint a couple of inches to meet with the MK1 Steering shaft. Trust me... it all fits in perfect in the end.

A bit of trimming had to be done on the MK1 to fit the MK1 HVAC unit. this is the Heater Core top side.

Here are the Heater Core nipples and the MK3 Accelerator Cable. The hoses are pushed away to show a bit more detail.

Fresh air intake.

The HVAC had to be cuttoff about 3 inches to fit the MK1 body

Firewall gets DINAMAT for noise and heat. Plus, the driver side gets new holes for the MK3 Booster, Accelerator Cable and Pedal box.

MK3 Booster in place

The Pedal Box bracket that goes to the main Dash support get cut off and re-welded about 2.5 inches shorter to fit under the new dash and keep a good support for the steering column.

Since the MK3 Booster is closer to the firewall, the Accelerator cable had to be moved about 3 inches to the right. This makes us adjust the Accelerator pedal angle to accommodate the new fit.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '88 VW Cabriolet
      07-14-2010 12:08 AM #7
      Since the dash board is not an exact fit, after the trimming and all the mocking and eyeballing, It was held to the car by strategically placed brackets. The center hump had to be redesigned to fit the new center console.

The main dash support was cut to fit the MK1 body and to do its job (support the dash)

This is the right side of the main support.

The original MK1 Shifter hole was patched. The new shifter wouldn't have matched to fit.

The Hand Brake lines were rerouted and sealed trough the exhaust hump.

The Hand Brake tubes get protected with a small plate so no one steps on them.

It's a perfect fit...

And the Shifter Cable has no bind or any kind of restriction. Lines up perfectly...