Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: re: Help, Transmission Shift Solenoid?

1. 07-08-2010 11:07 PM #1
      Aloha Folks-
      I have a 1996 Golf and was the driving the other day and the "Check Engine" light came on. When I pulled the code it said PO753 Shift Solenoid A.

I had a a Volkswagen Rebuilt automatic transmission installed. Next to the Code of 753 and Shift Solenoid A it also said Electrical. Could it be the wire harness?

Any suggestions would be helpful and where to look. Take care now.
      Mahalo!

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      07-09-2010 06:41 PM #2
      A solenoid code can be the solenoid, the harness, the computer or poor connection or water intrusion. It almost never, on a 01m is a trans.

Please tell me you didn't buy a rebuilt trans because you had a solenoid code, and then when you get done you still have a solenoid code.....

Have you cleared the code?
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 07-09-2010 10:21 PM #3
      Aloha CoolAirVw-
      thank you so much for your reply to me. My transmission on this 2.0 1996 Golf GL went out a couple of years ago. So, I was blessed to get a rebuilt one from VW (stamped with the "X" on it) for a great price from a member on this board 2 years ago. It only had 9,000 miles on it. Now, one thing that may have been damaged when it was shipped was the electrical cord that went from the transmission to the engine/computer. I cannot remember but the transmission was just fine.

Where can I check to see for water? Should I clean the connections/contacts with anything special? How about re-attaching, any special instructions? I hope it is the harness or a poor connection, water intrusion. Look forward to hearing from you and thank you again so much.
      Mahalo

Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      A solenoid code can be the solenoid, the harness, the computer or poor connection or water intrusion. It almost never, on a 01m is a trans.

Please tell me you didn't buy a rebuilt trans because you had a solenoid code, and then when you get done you still have a solenoid code.....

Have you cleared the code?

Vehicles
      07-10-2010 08:34 AM #4
      Clear the code, drive the car till the code reoccurs. Making note of the amount of time it took for the code to reoccur.

Probably at that point it would be best for most folks to change the solenoid.

Look for water, corrosion, or poor connections at the solenoid plug in and at the TCM. Blow it out with compressed air or brake clean. Some folks might go so far as to spray an electrical contact cleaner such as DeOxit in there then treat it with the DeOxit "conditioner".

If the code reoccurs consistantly, then you could pinpoint the problem with ohms testing. But if its intermittant ohms testing is inconclusive.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

5. 07-10-2010 06:47 PM #5
      Aloha CoolWAirWw-

Thank you again for your help. By the way is the solenoid on the outside top of the transmission? Or is it on the inside and you would have to have the fluid drained and a new filter installed as well?

I see different "electrical connections-connectors attaching to the top of what I think is the transmission. So, curious as to where the solenoid plug in is. And is the TCM the computer module?

Have cleared the code and so far so good. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again for all your help.

Mahalo!

Clear the code, drive the car till the code reoccurs. Making note of the amount of time it took for the code to reoccur.

Look for water, corrosion, or poor connections at the solenoid plug in and at the TCM. Blow it out with compressed air or brake clean. Some folks might go so far as to spray an electrical contact cleaner such as DeOxit in there then treat it with the DeOxit "conditioner".

If the code reoccurs consistantly, then you could pinpoint the problem with ohms testing. But if its intermittant ohms testing is inconclusive.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan S 4Motion, 2001.5 Passat 30v (new project)
      07-11-2010 10:19 AM #6
      Not to tread jack but can i also get some info on where this solenoid is located my friends fathers car just had a code for shift solenoid b electrical he has a 98 Jetta O1M tranny.
      ROFLwagens Upstate,NY VW/Audi

XBL GT: Sketchyx518x

7. 07-11-2010 08:54 PM #7
      The solenoids are inside the transmission attached to the valve body.

Vehicles
      07-11-2010 09:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by daaboss View Post
      I see different "electrical connections-connectors attaching to the top of what I think is the transmission. So, curious as to where the solenoid plug in is. And is the TCM the computer module?

TCM is computer module.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan S 4Motion, 2001.5 Passat 30v (new project)
      07-11-2010 09:51 PM #9
      Would it be ok to try and clean the connector?
      ROFLwagens Upstate,NY VW/Audi

XBL GT: Sketchyx518x

10. 07-15-2010 10:58 PM #10
      Aloha CoolAirVW-

I was able clear the code PO753, then drive it but then it came back on. I checked to see the connections. I am not sure how many electrical connections on in and out of the transmission? I saw a few that had some nicks in the wiring (the covering around the wire itself and made sure it was dry and put a piece of electrical tape around it for now.

So, today, when the code was on I cleared it and was in Park. As soon as I turned on the car had my foot on the brake (parking brake off), then put my hand on the shifter and took it from park to drive the check engine light came on immediately. I cleared the same code one more time and again as soon as I engaged the transmission from Park to Drive the Check Engine Light came on.

So, I am hoping you might be able to give some advice as to where this problem could be? Could it still be in one of the electrical wire harnesses? If so, which one and where are they located? If not, is it the shift solenoid and how does one go about fixing that.

Hope you can help me diagnose this and thank you so much for all of your advice and help thus far.

Take care now.
      Mahalo,

TCM is computer module.

Vehicles
      07-16-2010 11:37 AM #11
      It would be best for most folks to just try a new solenoid.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

12. 07-16-2010 11:55 AM #12
      Aloha CoolAirVw-
      thank you for your reply to me. Where do I get a new solenoid? Is there only one or a couple? Is the solenoid attached to the outside of the transmission or will I have to drop the pan and take something out? I hope it is a part that can be purchased separately. Look forward to hearing from you and thank you again so much.
      Mahalo

It would be best for most folks to just try a new solenoid.

Vehicles
      07-16-2010 04:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by daaboss View Post
      Aloha CoolAirVw-
      thank you for your reply to me. Where do I get a new solenoid? Is there only one or a couple? Is the solenoid attached to the outside of the transmission or will I have to drop the pan and take something out? I hope it is a part that can be purchased separately. Look forward to hearing from you and thank you again so much.
      Mahalo

Google for a new solenoid. Sonnax is a good brand, but expensive. There are cheap "Import" ones on E-bay, but they are of questionable quality.

Solenoids are in the pan. Drop pan. There are 7 of them.

Here is a how to change the harness, most of the info is the same. You can see the solenoids in the pics.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3888041
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

14. 09-01-2010 11:55 AM #14
      I just want to say thankyou ive been looking for help on my wifes 97 jetta and all i can say is your the man and all that help and time you put in really does go full circle. and glad to say my solenoid problem is fixed thanks to you.

Vehicles
      09-02-2010 10:13 AM #15
      ah... shucks!

nailed
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

16. 04-21-2012 11:34 PM #16

TCM is computer module.
      What are the letter codes G38 and G68 in the view below