Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Speed Cameras launched in NSW

1. 07-19-2010 03:43 AM #71
      Maybe but I ain't voting for it in the 2010 poll.
      Where's the Hamster when you need him.

Edit: Matt, you whole case fails becasue I just saw Harold Scruby has come out in favour of them.

Also, I'm gunna fit some flashing lights to my wife's Territory so I can park anywhere I dam well please.
      Last edited by Tank Engine; 07-19-2010 at 03:47 AM.
      iPad Certified.

2. Member
      07-19-2010 03:49 AM #72
      Out of interest, is there any data that links being in excess of the posted speed limit and fatal accidents?

3. 07-19-2010 05:22 AM #73
      I am sure I just heard on the news, that NSW has a total of 6 of these cameras - and only 1 will be used in Sydney!! I LOL'd.

07-19-2010 06:27 AM #74
      Yes, I heard that, too. I do not believe it!

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-19-2010 07:39 AM #75
      All warfare is based on deception.
      Sun Tzu
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI
      07-19-2010 07:39 AM #76
      Ok, I'll bite (again).

If speed cameras are so effective, why is the Victorian road toll so much higher this year?

07-19-2010 07:42 AM #77
      Do a F*ckin' skid.
      Szum Kunt

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      07-19-2010 07:47 AM #78

07-19-2010 07:54 AM #79
      Hang on...

Advertised locations.

Orange graphics and sh*t on the roof of the cars to make them stand out.

Warnings given for the first month.

Free Laksa to the fastest recorded speed.

Go at it gentlemen.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-19-2010 08:05 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
      Ok, I'll bite (again).

If speed cameras are so effective, why is the Victorian road toll so much higher this year?
      http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/stat...erID=1&navID=1

Looks like a relatively large increase in motorcyclist fatalities, older people and in rural or country areas.

07-19-2010 08:54 AM #81
      Just had a look at the TACSAFETY site mentioned above.
      It says that there are three types of speeding-
      Excessive-where the speed limit is broken by a large margin deliberately
      Low level-by most people,usually 5k/hr or so over the posted limit.
      Innapropriate Speed-where,although NOT EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT,it may be construed as "risky" due to rain or some such.
      It then goes on to say that the speed camera program was introduced to cut the road toll caused by these three things.
      Can someone explain to me HTF a speed camera detects "inappropriate "speed NOT OVER THE SPEED LIMIT?????
      Interestingly,on official websites,you can never find the percentage of deaths caused by vehicles that were actually exceeding the posted speed limit-only the hoary old "speed related" or "speed was a factor" ie inapropriate speed.This is usually quoted as around 40%.
      Take out the "inappropriate" speed deaths [under the speed limit] and that percentage falls dramatically.
      As long as we continue to concentrate 99% of accident reduction measures[ie $peed cameras]on 10-15%[being generous] of the cause,there's not a hope in hell of lowering the road toll significantly.
      Hard to argue against $400m in Revenue though,with virtually none going back to doing something meaningfull to alleviate the problem.

And this from the official TAC site-so it must be true......

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-19-2010 09:14 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by MACCAA View Post
      As long as we continue to concentrate 99% of accident reduction measures[ie $peed cameras]on 10-15%[being generous] of the cause,there's not a hope in hell of lowering the road toll significantly.
      Where's your 99% from?

Assume the more conservative of your two figures is correct, say 10% for speed related fatalities. If the Australian road toll is 1400 next year, are you suggesting that a potential reduction by 140 lives is not significant?

13. Member
      07-19-2010 09:16 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Saxton Hale View Post
      Hang on...

Go at it gentlemen.

Also, free laksa to the first to run over Harold Scruby at a pedestrian crossing. Extra tofu if you reverse back over the kunt..

Go at it gentlemen..

07-19-2010 09:24 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
      Where's your 99% from?

Assume the more conservative of your two figures is correct, say 10% for speed related fatalities. If the Australian road toll is 1400 next year, are you suggesting that a potential reduction by 140 lives is not significant?
      ooh I'm in

When the number is well below those who died from simply falling over (roughly 500 of us), yes.

Life has obstacles, including little unseen bumps you might trip over and kill yourself on, when they're more significant and killing more Australians than Speed is, dont you think its all a complete waste of time and energy and anxiety (but a good money spinner i'll give u that) Or should we legislate and think up some really horrific shock tactic ads to scare people into watching where they put their own two feet? Fines/Imprisonment for unlaced shoes? I think a lot more needs to be done about this shocking killer on our nations footpaths.

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      07-19-2010 09:31 AM #85
      I think a lot more needs to be done about this shocking killer on our nations footpaths.
      A special no pedestrian can afford to miss, tonight on A Current Affair.

16. 07-19-2010 10:34 AM #86
      Hang on...

Advertised locations.

Orange graphics and sh*t on the roof of the cars to make them stand out.

Go at it gentlemen.

With only warnings for the first month that's tempting.

Also......

THE Roads Minister yesterday denied there were ''current plans'' for more than six digital mobile speed cameras - even though each camera would have to operate for 67 hours a day to fulfil the state government's target of 12,200 hours a month by July 2011.

Our NSW Govt running smoothly as always.
      iPad Certified.

07-19-2010 03:58 PM #87
      Missing the point aren't you?
      I'm saying I'd like to see measures to try and reduce the other 1260 fatalities,as well as the 140 killed by excessive speed.
      Or don't you think the other 1260 fatalities warrant any new measures?

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI
      07-19-2010 05:50 PM #88
      [QUOTE=mdt]
      http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/stat...erID=1&navID=1

Looks like a relatively large increase in motorcyclist fatalities, older people and in rural or country areas.
      [/QUOTE=mdt]

But we have more speed cameras than ever!

Where's your 99% from?

And thus, we come full circle to page one.
      35% of people who died had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.05% or higher.
      18% of vehicle occupants who died were not wearing a seatbelt.
      9% of drivers and riders tested positive to drugs.
      Fatigue is a contributing factor in 30% of fatal crashes.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      07-19-2010 08:28 PM #89
      what are you whingeing about come to Vic if you want to see mobile speed cameras everywhere underpinned with sneaky tactics for car placement etc Can someone please run Harold Scruby over pedestrians have no right to be on the road except when crossing at the lights.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

20. 07-19-2010 08:55 PM #90
      Something I thought of this morning while sitting at a set of lights with multiple cameras, with a police car behind me. If I had run that red light, and been booked by the police, AND had a photo taken by the the cameras, would I still have to cop both the fines, and both the lots of points?

Vehicles
      8P S3
      07-19-2010 09:48 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by .Megan. View Post
      I am sure I just heard on the news, that NSW has a total of 6 of these cameras - and only 1 will be used in Sydney!! I LOL'd.
      Actually not all that many places I drive past regularly... Maybe 4 or 5? Most seem to be "rural" NSW.
      I threw all of the places I recognise as being within Sydney (might have missed a couple of suburbs I'm not familiar with)
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=5...67d65a5a131e5d

Vehicles
      8P S3
      07-19-2010 09:51 PM #92

Are they serious about that? So if you get clocked at say... more than 2x the limit, you just get a warning?

23. 07-19-2010 10:45 PM #93
      ooh I'm in

When the number is well below those who died from simply falling over (roughly 500 of us), yes.

Life has obstacles, including little unseen bumps you might trip over and kill yourself on, when they're more significant and killing more Australians than Speed is, dont you think its all a complete waste of time and energy and anxiety (but a good money spinner i'll give u that) Or should we legislate and think up some really horrific shock tactic ads to scare people into watching where they put their own two feet? Fines/Imprisonment for unlaced shoes? I think a lot more needs to be done about this shocking killer on our nations footpaths.
      Oi!! Stop giving the bastards ideas!! And with my propensity for falling over lately, I'd be broke or in prison

As for cutting down the roadtoll - imagine if they did - that would really fark up this 'sustainability' of population being touted as a policy - then they really would have to stop the 'boat people' to keep the numbers level LOL

07-19-2010 11:23 PM #94
      Cutting the road toll? Here's an idea worth trying: have some semblance of a public transport system the works! This is one of the reasons why the road toll has reduced in certain European countries. There are alternatives that get the unlicensed, the young and inexperienced, the old and demented, the drunk and the drugged off the roads

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-20-2010 05:50 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by MACCAA View Post
      ... as well as the 140 killed by excessive speed.
      So you're in favour of an increase in speed cameras? My apologies, I misunderstood.

I don't think anyone has suggested that speed cameras are the panacea to the road toll. They are just easy to roll out and pay for themselves over a relatively short period.
      Last edited by mdt; 07-20-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-20-2010 05:52 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
      Something I thought of this morning while sitting at a set of lights with multiple cameras, with a police car behind me. If I had run that red light, and been booked by the police, AND had a photo taken by the the cameras, would I still have to cop both the fines, and both the lots of points?
      Pretty sure you'd get off one of them. They have even been known to treat a run of camera fines along the Geelong road as one event, which is a stretch IMO.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-20-2010 05:53 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by cooni View Post
      Are they serious about that? So if you get clocked at say... more than 2x the limit, you just get a warning?
      Unlikely, this warning system would be little more than the exercise of a discretion on the basis of a loosely worded policy. It could be exercised either way.

07-20-2010 06:35 AM #98
      I don't think anyone has suggested that speed cameras are the panacea to the road toll. They are just easy to roll out and pay for themselves over a relatively short period.
      Well nobody except the government i guess. While they play lip service to anything that costs money and these other initiatives should of course be where the fine revenue goes directly not just back into general revenue for them to allocate as they please. That'd be a good start.

Next from the figures it seems drunks are awfully over represented in the statistics, so first offence , u get a BAC meter in your car to start it for 5 years, no if buts or maybes shame these *******s as they're often responsible for not only their own deaths, which i have no problem with, but those they take with them too. Have it installed and maintained at the lush's expense. No mickey mouse license suspensions that dont stop a drunk driving unlicensed anyways.

I'd rather they went hard after pissheads than worrying about the minority of deaths where ONLY speed contributed.

And lastly, after the display i saw today from a bunch of refos attempting to retrieve something off a minor suburban road and car after car after car just running it over (and giving them a flat i do hope), thankfully a cop came past and put on the red and blues to wake these f*ckin idiots up. I really doubt education is the answer, people are just too god damn f*cking stupid and teaching them how to do trix on a skidpan wont do f*ck all for these brain dead c*nts.

IMHO.
      Last edited by Saxton Hale; 07-20-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-20-2010 02:49 PM #99
      Next from the figures it seems drunks are awfully over represented in the statistics, so first offence , u get a BAC meter in your car to start it for 5 years, no if buts or maybes shame these *******s as they're often responsible for not only their own deaths, which i have no problem with, but those they take with them too. Have it installed and maintained at the lush's expense. No mickey mouse license suspensions that dont stop a drunk driving unlicensed anyways.
      Agreed.

30. 07-20-2010 07:11 PM #100
      we should be hardline on alcohol.
      zero alcohol for all drivers. zero.
      no meters, nada excuses. it would be a standard
      that nobody could get wrong. imagine if bus drivers/pilots/railway/ferry blokes were allowed to have a couple of beers before setting off to work?
      there would be bedlam! so, why are drivers allowed?
      they are on the road making halfcast decisions every 5 seconds, with the potential of killing/maiming others. you can't blame somebody for being born stupid, but you can stop smart people drinking themselves stupid, then getting on the road
      in a driving position. most people can't control their booze, so they shouldn't be depended upon to "count their drinks", and then jump in the car, hoping, they are "under".
      Fark that.

Vehicles
      MY11 Silver .:R GIAC FINALLY!! Yamaha Arsesex (R6) MY08; Trek Elite Madone 5.9 OCLV USPS& LiveStron
      07-22-2010 11:36 AM #101
      Fark no. Photoblocker don't work...

You're talking to a long in the tooth south australian here... we've had $peed detector$ ever since our State Bank went bankcrupt (co-incidence???)

Only 2 worthwhile units out if you want to take the chance with a detector... PM me if you want more info.

Vehicles
      MY11 Silver .:R GIAC FINALLY!! Yamaha Arsesex (R6) MY08; Trek Elite Madone 5.9 OCLV USPS& LiveStron
      07-22-2010 11:59 AM #102
      Hey MDT, next time I do my freakin thesis work, can I get you to help on on stats??

Vehicles
      07-22-2010 12:16 PM #103
      I'll shove my $1 in.

Yes, speed does play a factor, but one truly wonders about places like when I drive from city past moore park to Bondi with a nice long straight stretch of road... all at 50kmph... WITH a camera on the road..
      On ramps up to the harbor bridge 60kmph
      ANZAC Bridge and the roads spanning out west/north from there... all 60kmph.
      Come on... they should be 70/80kmph.

And let's look at that pathetic excuse for a road... Paramatta Rd. Are we so bloody broke we can't afford a proper blacktop surface? I swear as I drive on that road on the way to Westmead, it sounds like I'm hitting cats eyes on the white center marker all the time! That road surface amongst others in NSW are so bad it's almost like a skid pan with the first light rain after a dry spell.

We need HIGHER STANDARDS in our driving licenses. That means that the exam is an exam, not a freakin joke. That means reflex tests. Judgment tests at each renewal for ALL drivers.

IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING LOWER FATALITIES GET RID OF CRAPPY DRIVERS!

Driving is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. If you''ve got the IQ of your shoe size, guess what, I'm not going to let you fly a jet or do trauma surgery with me... so why should you get the chance to put people on my table?
      If you've got the judgment of a salted slug, and the reflexes of a dried jellyfish, well guess what you'll probably kill yourself walking yet alone driving a V8 powered 2T killing machine that's fully sic

Driving licenses: 2 shots then no re-test for 3 years. 2 more shots then ban for life. Your dumb. live with it.

If you can't judge your car in city traffic or can't handle a car with confidence at 110kmph, then you should walk.

Defensive and Advanced driving COMPULSORY for all P-platers, including "out of control" situations on skid pans. And hey, if you can't afford $1000 for a course, you probably can't afford to keep your car in good nick to keep it safe (tyres, suspension etc..).

Oh and if you're an asian female from any eastern suburb driving a Volvo, BMW or a Merc or a 4WD of any discription, you should be PERMANENTLY banned. No excuses. :

Cars older than 10/15 yrs get taxed higher with exemptions given to "collectors" who have >2 cars. And those cars can only be driven on limited number of days (like Singapore). Why? Newer cars are safer. Period. And they're greener too. And we should make it an incentive for our local manufacturers to target the lower markets.

How about getting a traffic system that's actually SYNCHRONIZED? Think about it. Road rage speeding etc.. all occurs because people get jammed for ridiculous periods. Leads to frustration. Leads to more chance-taking behaviour. If traffic around sydney actually FLOWED instead of stalled for hours on end you wouldn't have the 5:45 rush into Accident & Emergency every day!

Think about it... the amount of money spent of BS recently with like the metro rail project ('going ahead hook or by crook') we could've done some serious upgrades. I'm so fed up of this stupid place that is so self-congratulatory and forgets the REAL priorities of things.
      Last edited by Doc Phil; 07-22-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-22-2010 06:02 PM #104
      What is it with young asian girls in a Honda Jizz?

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      I assume you're not suggesting (sic) that the next time you over stay a parking meter and 5 parking officers walk past your car and each give you a ticket that you'll agree with this logic ?
      Eh? It's nothing to do with logic, I was commenting on the practice of the RTA or whatever they're called and their sense of justice and fair play.

35. 07-22-2010 07:48 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc Phil View Post

Driving is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. If you''ve got the IQ of your shoe size, guess what, I'm not going to let you fly a jet or do trauma surgery with me... so why should you get the chance to put people on my table?
      Agree with most of what you said except for an IQ test. I've seen a lot of people who are 'smart' yet have nooooo common sense. They should make up a common sense test, not only for driving but for voting too!!!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast