Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Routan Brake Issues - Again!?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Routan SE w RES; 2011 A5
      10-02-2012 02:10 AM #101
      I should add that it's not really even a premature wear item on these vehicles. The brakes barely have time to wear before they're shot. The rotors warp and you have to replace rotors & pads with 90%+ of brake material remaining.
      That exactly sums up the issue.

2. 10-02-2012 03:13 PM #102
      just about 27k and all 4 are shot again...find out if VW will stand behind them next wednesday
      10' Routan SE, 28k
      09' Volvo S80
      98' Chevy K1500
      13' Ford Interceptor Utility

3. 10-07-2012 11:56 PM #103
      I have had the same problems with front brakes that many other have. Mine seemed to last a bit longer. The first issue with warped front rotors was around 8,000 miles. The dealer resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads. Within about 5,000 miles, the problem was back. The dealer replaced the rotors and pads, despite VW calling for a resurfacing of the rotors. The service manager always went above and beyond for me (this is our third VW from this particular dealer, Riverhead Bay on Long Island) and replaced the rotors rather than resurfacing. He mentioned that VW does not recommend resurfacing of rotors on their own cars so they shouldn't on the Chrysler built van.

This van is simply too heavy for the rotors and they overheat and warp. The new rotors the dealer installed lasted for a decent time but when they warped, I took some advice on this forum and bought new vented and cross-drilled rotors from an eBay seller for both front and back. With about 30,000 miles on the van, I replaced the rotors and pads all around. The van no has 80,000 miles on it with much of it being around-town driving. The front pads needed replacement last week, the first since I put the vented cross-drilled rotors on. The rotors barely needed any resurfacing, I could have left them as they were. These rotors have solved the warping problem for me.

Vehicles
      2004 MKIV Jetta GLS, 2009 Routan Comfortline 4.0L w/ RSE, 2011 Jetta VI Trendline+
      10-09-2012 09:41 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by ntotrr View Post
      I took some advice on this forum and bought new vented and cross-drilled rotors from an eBay seller for both front and back. ... These rotors have solved the warping problem for me.
      Do you remember what brand of rotors they were?
      VW 4 Life... For life, that's what the ex said... but i mean it...

5. 10-11-2012 06:20 AM #105
      The van went to the dealer yestarday. After having it 6 hours, I get the can not reproduce call. Go yo pick it up and hay why not take the tech for a ride....5 minutes later have the tech feeling it, and agreeing it is probably all 4. The warranty coordinator "needs to call VW" to get it approved. I explained very nicely about the TSBs and the Chryco warranty extension...we'll see.
      10' Routan SE, 28k
      09' Volvo S80
      98' Chevy K1500

6. 10-12-2012 09:57 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by PaulAP View Post
      Do you remember what brand of rotors they were?
      The eBay seller is atlautosports. There is no brand name noted in the auction (sold for a "but it now" price). The price is very reasonable and they have performed very well for me. Here is a current auction to fit my 2009:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280832935722...84.m1423.l2649

7. 10-13-2012 12:41 PM #107
      Brakeperformance.com has awsome rotors as well and will be my source when the time comes to buy them. I have them on my Volvo paired with Akabeno euro pads and could not be more pleased. They are the manufacturer and warranty warpage.
      10' Routan SE, 28k
      09' Volvo S80
      98' Chevy K1500

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Routan SE w RSE/Nav
      03-05-2013 08:14 PM #108
      Guys - I have been reading with interest this thread and others - I recently bought a 2010 Routan with all the bells and whistles for a ridiculously low price (probably due to people being aware of this problem) - I simply factored in the cost of a high performance aftermarket rotor/pad kit plus installation into the cost of the purchase - it's a no-brainer, and it's a straightforward fix to a common problem, not exclusive to Routans. After much investigation and review of many good aftermarket kits (PowerSlot, EBC, PowerStop, etc.), I settled on Brakeperformance.com and their latest package deal - 4x slotted and dimpled rotors plus brakepads for a little over $300 for everything, including shipping - with another $225 in installation, I notice it's cost me less than what many on this thread have paid for a single factory axle repair (which won't fix the problem).

One important note I found is that NO ONE who has ever upgraded to aftermarket brakes and pads has ever posted a single response that it didn't completely fix the problem - so it appears you won't go wrong with any high quality, reputable upgrade - just DON'T cheep out on this one.

What sold me on the Brakeperformance.com package was the great price, universal great reviews, plus a lifetime warranty against warping or cracking - no other provider comes close on this. I've had them installed on my Routan for about a month now - after careful break-in, pedal effort appears to be lower, stopping is smooth, vibration-free and quiet, and frankly, it looks about as bitchin' as any discrete upgrade you'll ever put on your minivan... ;-) My wife notices the differences in quiet and smoothness - will keep this thread posted as things progress, but I anticipate no problems.

Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition, 2010 White GTI
      03-05-2013 09:27 PM #109
      Dozer, I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I have done and I am happy. I've been posting on a different thread on this same issue and I posted some pics of the rotors that I had installed. I'll be posting again once there's about 1000 miles on them to let people know how it fares. So far, so good though. Good luck!

10. 07-03-2013 09:39 PM #110
      I read your submission on the Routan brakes. If the steering is shaking on brake application, it is probably cracked web(s) on the rotor which them allow the rotor surfaces to expand at different rates on brake application. That failure has very little to do with your type of driving but has a lot to do with the poor quality product being manufactured. If you check, you will probably find out that the rotors are built in the Pacific Rim. Love those Chinese parts! Try installing a set of Zimmerman rotors for that vehicle which are still built in Europe. Yes, VW should stand behind their product. However, the dealer is probably not standing behind you.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Passat GLS TDI, 2009 Routan SEL
      08-08-2013 11:16 AM #111
      OK, yesterday I finally had my fronts replaced again. This time with the Brakeperformance.com dimpled & slotted with their premium semi-metallic pads. I've only driven 10-15 miles, so can't offer much in the way of opinion yet. They started off so noisy and grindy that I thought they were installed wrong. The zinc coating also smokes and stinks something else while it wears off the surface. It took a full 10 miles with lots of the break-in procedure of 45>5 mpg emergency braking without stopping before the noise and smell really started to go away. Drove it again this morning and mostly quiet, so I am optimistic. In terms of performance, I can't say yet. They don't seem any better/worse than other brand new brakes. I was pleased with the performance on the previous two sets, before they warped anyway, just not the longevity. I'll post back when I have some more miles and the pads are seated in and everything is fully broken in.

For those keeping score at home, I had the front brakes replaced within 4k miles after I bought the vehicle used. I have no way of knowing how long those had been on there.

First replacements were Napa Premium rotors and Ultra Premium pads. Got 9 months and 9500 miles on them before having them replaced under warranty with the same rotors and switched to Napa's Adaptive One hybrid ceramic pads. Got 3 days short of a year and 10,800 miles on this second set of Napa brakes. I should point out that they started warping back in February or March and I bought the brakeperformance.com brakes at the end of March. Managed to stretch the second set of Napas for 4 months or so before the warping just got too bad to drive anymore.

Also should note that the rears I had replaced about 18 months and over 16k miles ago with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and ceramic pads and they are only 10-15% worn now. Wear is even and everything looks good. So I am very pleased with them. I probably should have put the same on the front to begin with, but they were harder to find for the fronts.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      58 Ragtop Bug, 2005 Passat Wagon, 2010 Routan SEL
      08-08-2013 12:27 PM #112
      Shortly(I hope) I will have a right up on changing the rotors out, for the guy on the fence on whether to do it at home or not. I too bought the BP rotors, dimpled and slotted. After bedding them in I had a steering wheel wobble at highway speed braking when coming down an off ramp but nothing around town at all. I was fit to be tied. Not to mention the card in the spokes is way too much for me to handle--lifetime warranty or not. I can hear my wife coming down the street--before she turns into out neighborhood, we live in a very quiet area. We even found ourselves driving under the speed limit so that we could coast to a stop and not have to use the brakes. So I spoke with BP and they were more than gracious to swap out my new rotors and said that possibly there was a machining issue. I also had a small piece of metal fall off the rotor surface where the brake pads are. Totally not their fault, just the nature of the material, probably a small air pocket and they looked perfect before I installed them. Again warrantied no problems. I also requested (at my dollar loss) to switch to the straight cross drilled rotors to cut down the noise. Since I have received them I have not had an opportunity to swap the rotors yet. I can say the dimpled and slotted with their free brake pads are a major improvement. I know some guys say the brakes power and stopping ability sucks from the factory they are unsafe yada, yada, yada, ours have always been a tad sensitive--like I could almost put you through the windshield, and now the BP's are better yet. So with my unfortunate early issues, I'm thrilled with their customer service and I know once I swap my straight cross drilleds in I'll be stoked.

Here's some teasers from my shop at my house. Yes that is my lift, and I still have the dealer do the oil changes for extended warranty purposes.

Last edited by 58kafer; 08-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
      1958 VW Ragtop Bug
      2005 VW Passat Wagon
      2010 VW Routan SEL

Be sure to check out the Original Routan Dead Pedal Click Here

13. 08-08-2013 03:45 PM #113
      Thanks for the feedback and write up. Nice lift. That makes things a lot easier. I was just happy that I could fit under the Routan to do the oil change without a jack.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium
      08-16-2013 03:19 PM #114
      You have a lift... in your garage...

[bow down]
      2011 Calla Lily White Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium

15. Member
      Vehicles
      58 Ragtop Bug, 2005 Passat Wagon, 2010 Routan SEL
      08-18-2013 11:52 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Chedman13 View Post
      You have a lift... in your garage...

[bow down]
      Yep, with as many cars and toys as I own/restore/work on it's a must. I live in my shop and I love me some toys!
      1958 VW Ragtop Bug
      2005 VW Passat Wagon
      2010 VW Routan SEL

Be sure to check out the Original Routan Dead Pedal Click Here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345