Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 06 Passat parking brake problems

1. 07-12-2010 06:36 PM #1
      I have a 2006 VW Passat 2.0T 6spd and it has the electronic rear parking brake with auto-hold. Recently needed rear brake pads, but hadnt had the 3 updates for the system, so i could not retract the e-brake through the computer. Got the update done, got the car back with two codes that i cannot get cleared:

53 - Parking Brake
      02433: Supply voltage for right parking brake motor (sporadic) - V283
      01087: Basic setting not carried out (sporadic)

Everytime the codes are cleared, they come back immediately, therefore the scanner will not allow me to operate the system and do the brake job. I am using the Launch x-431 scanner with a vag-com emulator, so there should be no equipment problems if there is anything i can do.

Is there an adaptation or relearn that needs to be carried out for the caliper? or any known-issues that are out there that might be able to help point me in the right direction?

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
      KB
      Last edited by braunie4; 07-12-2010 at 06:40 PM.

2. 07-12-2010 06:48 PM #2
      first of all if u dont have a real VAG-COM ur stupid for trying to do the brake job and well you get what you deserve...if ur using a real VCDS try unplugging your battery for a little bit and try the process again...u might be out 4-700 bux if you grenade your calipers

3. 07-12-2010 07:12 PM #3
      Thanks for that. I have done a few brake jobs already with this scanner, and as i said its been verified as identical vag-com program as an emulator on the scanner, it doesnt open as X-431, it opens as VAGCOM.

The past two brake jobs were exact same passats and setups as this one, but this is the first time i have ran into this issue. So if there is any REAL help you could offer, that would b great!

KB

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      07-12-2010 07:53 PM #4
      Do you have the car hooked up to a battery charger while doing this process. Your car battery might be to weak. Especially if its the original battery.

5. 07-12-2010 08:04 PM #5
      Yes i have the battery charger hooked up and set on medium, maintaining a constant 13.5 volts. The more and more i try, i think i may get a "test unit" caliper and hook it up to see if it fixes my issue. Is there any coding or reprogramming to do when replacing the caliper other than the close procedure, test procedure, and the longitudinal accel sensor relearns?

Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0t
      07-12-2010 08:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 08 passat turbo View Post
      first of all if u dont have a real VAG-COM ur stupid for trying to do the brake job and well you get what you deserve...if ur using a real VCDS try unplugging your battery for a little bit and try the process again...u might be out 4-700 bux if you grenade your calipers
      Maybe offer help instead of insult. not all can afford nor want vag-com, some just want to repair their car and be done with it. Hopefully you never mess up on a repair or dont know your way around something so that some else may flame freely.

Vehicles
      TR Mk6 on Oxygen
      07-12-2010 08:42 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 08 passat turbo View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Shaun.Perry View Post
      Maybe offer help instead of insult. not all can afford nor want vag-com, some just want to repair their car and be done with it. Hopefully you never mess up on a repair or dont know your way around something so that some else may flame freely.
      Trust him... he knows EXACTLY what hes talkin about. Hes speaking from experience when his calipers exploded on him while tryin to do a brake job..using real vagcom! And yes he was flamed for it. Its common sense not to use knock off equipment, esp when ur working with something as crucial as ur braking system. So his insult was helping in a way.

But back to the OP i have heard some stories of the motor going out on our EPB systems, and i thot there was a TSB. If ur having those fault codes take it to the dealer because they have the real equipment to get it done for you and could possibly tell u something this emulator is missing. Messing with the EPB and calipers on this car can be extremely detrimental if the slightest thing done incorrectly. Does the EPB come on as quickly? GL dude..let us know how it works out.

8. 07-12-2010 09:31 PM #8
      The dealer did the three updates to the EPB system and said nothing more about the remaining codes and didnt really offer and help to me. The service manager said that they havent seen this issue and would have to start with min. 5 hrs of labor for diagnose. I was simply hoping that someone else has seen this before and possibly had a helpful hint.
      I think i am just going to get a different caliper for the right rear, its $350 my cost and i confirmed that i could return it if that doesnt work. Dont know yet though if there is an adaptation that will have to be carried out when replacing the caliper or if it just gets plugged in and that close, test, and long. accel. sensor relearns are all that has to be done.

Thanks again for some real advice/help, its appreciated

KB

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      07-12-2010 09:58 PM #9
      not sure, but check the schematics to see if there is a power control relay in the EPB circuit....it could be faulty....maybe even pull and re-seat the fuse???

Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan