Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 70

    Thread: This may have hurt a bit... Police car, tree

    1. 07-13-2010 01:37 AM #1

    2. Member jman1423's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2003
      Location
      Alabama
      Posts
      1,186
      Vehicles
      S50 E30
      07-13-2010 01:45 AM #2
      holy crap. i wonder how fast he was going...

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2010
      Location
      Langley, whidbey island, Washington
      Posts
      1,073
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      07-13-2010 01:51 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post

      good lord.


    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2010
      Location
      NJ/PSU
      Posts
      882
      Vehicles
      '05 RS2.0 xB, '04 xB, '08 xB2
      07-13-2010 01:52 AM #4
      holy hell

    5. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      12,266
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      07-13-2010 01:53 AM #5
      He made it!
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    6. Member Smooremin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago, Il
      Posts
      3,741
      Vehicles
      '14 S4
      07-13-2010 02:23 AM #6
      Good God

    7. Member Mtl-Marc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Mtl, QC
      Posts
      15,501
      Vehicles
      Stingray
      07-13-2010 03:36 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

    8. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,324
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      07-13-2010 04:03 AM #8
      The officer probably was granted one spare life for all the drunk drivers he got off the road...

    9. Member OOOO-A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2004
      Location
      KILG
      Posts
      7,093
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      07-13-2010 07:35 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jman1423 View Post
      holy crap. i wonder how fast he was going...
      Quote Originally Posted by Article
      "It had just rained, the roads were slick and for unknown reasons he lost control of the car at Main and Broadway", Macagni says.
      In other words, "Too fast for conditions."

      Now, will he get a ticket/fine/points like any non-cop driver who had a similar 'accident'?

    10. Member TooFitToQuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2003
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      10,466
      07-13-2010 07:39 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      In other words, "Too fast for conditions."

      Now, will he get a ticket/fine/points like any non-cop driver who had a similar 'accident'?
      The obvious answer is: of course not.

    11. 07-13-2010 07:43 AM #11
      Wow glad he made it out of that

    12. Member SinisterMind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 27th, 2004
      Location
      Quakertown, Pa
      Posts
      5,645
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI, '12 Camry SE
      07-13-2010 07:45 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      In other words, "Too fast for conditions."

      Now, will he get a ticket/fine/points like any non-cop driver who had a similar 'accident'?
      Are these non-cop drivers also responding to a call?

    13. Member Egz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      16,267
      Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      07-13-2010 07:47 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      In other words, "Too fast for conditions."

      Now, will he get a ticket/fine/points like any non-cop driver who had a similar 'accident'?
      Well, the article said he was responding to a call.

    14. Member TooFitToQuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2003
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      10,466
      07-13-2010 07:48 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMind View Post
      Are these non-cop drivers also responding to a call?
      Pregnancy, injury, death? It's possible.

    15. Member OOOO-A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2004
      Location
      KILG
      Posts
      7,093
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      07-13-2010 08:17 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMind View Post
      Are these non-cop drivers also responding to a call?
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Well, the article said he was responding to a call.
      Quote Originally Posted by iDance View Post
      Pregnancy, injury, death? It's possible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Article
      Officer Damon Badnell was responding to a call for help from another officer on foot chasing a burglary suspect in the north end of town.
      Disproportional response shows poor judgment. "another officer chasing a burglary suspect" =/= "rape in-progress". In either case, now the citizens are on the hook for the cost of a replacement vehicle, cost of accident response, and the officer's medical expenses.... AND the initial goal of the officer responding to the call STILL wasn't accomplished.

      Non-cops have single-vehicle 'accidents' and get ticketed for it. This guy not only made the call/response situation *worse*, he cost his community $$$$$. But because he's a cop he should be able to giggle "oopsie!" and that's OK?

    16. Senior Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Posts
      28,074
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      07-13-2010 08:37 AM #16
      Don't think the airbags went off. Officer should sue Ford.

    17. Member nicetry's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 12th, 2008
      Posts
      380
      Vehicles
      11 S5, 04 S4 Avant, 02 996TT
      07-13-2010 12:43 PM #17
      Holy crap I can't believe he lived through that!

    18. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,007
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      07-13-2010 12:45 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Disproportional response shows poor judgment. "another officer chasing a burglary suspect" =/= "rape in-progress". In either case, now the citizens are on the hook for the cost of a replacement vehicle, cost of accident response, and the officer's medical expenses.... AND the initial goal of the officer responding to the call STILL wasn't accomplished.

      Non-cops have single-vehicle 'accidents' and get ticketed for it. This guy not only made the call/response situation *worse*, he cost his community $$$$$. But because he's a cop he should be able to giggle "oopsie!" and that's OK?
      I am pro-police, but THIS is exactly how I feel.

      Thank You for posting this.
      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    19. Member TheDarkEnergist's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      Crooklyn
      Posts
      8,536
      Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      07-13-2010 12:53 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      But because he's a cop he should be able to giggle "oopsie!" and that's OK?
      No.

      But Hi, I'm the World, this is how I work.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2004
      Location
      East Haddam, CT
      Posts
      2,597
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      07-13-2010 01:16 PM #20
      In the military we would call such an unfortunate situation an "acceptable loss in the dispatch of one's duty". Glad he made it. The investment we make through taxes that are used to train the police so they can do their job as efficiently and safely as possible makes a destroyed cruiser seem almost free. To bad we can't issue RPGs to the men in blue to perhaps end dangerous high speed chases. Hey, as a bonus all those 'high drama' TV chase shows with their terrible added sound effects might go away as well?
      Note to bad guys that run, If you want to play be prepared to pay.
      RB

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 2003
      Location
      Palookaville
      Posts
      8,010
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      07-13-2010 01:21 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Rowayton View Post
      In the military we would call such an unfortunate situation an "acceptable loss in the dispatch of one's duty". Glad he made it. The investment we make through taxes that are used to train the police so they can do their job as efficiently and safely as possible makes a destroyed cruiser seem almost free. To bad we can't issue RPGs to the men in blue to perhaps end dangerous high speed chases. Hey, as a bonus all those 'high drama' TV chase shows with their terrible added sound effects might go away as well?
      Note to bad guys that run, If you want to play be prepared to pay.
      RB
      Your solution is to issue high-explosive ordnance to end high-speed chases? (this one was on foot btw). Also, can you clarify:
      "The investment we make through taxes that are used to train the police so they can do their job as efficiently and safely as possible makes a destroyed cruiser seem almost free."

    22. 07-13-2010 01:23 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      No.

      But Hi, I'm the World, this is how I work.
      Well World you are WRONG!

      It's up to us, to demand to our beloved representatives that this kind of actions are investigated by a neutral party and if determined that the officer was at fault, and wasn't cautious that he/she should be responsible for this.

      Let's pretend for a minute the tree was a human being, a kid, an elder, somebody's mother, i'm pretty sure the outcome would have been different. That's why many cities do not do high speed chases anymore because they are here to protect and make sure everything gets resolved without harming innocent people.

      Their job is to serve and protect, and this guy was serving alright but i don't see anywhere the protect aspect of his actions.
      I had a funny signature before, and it went to waste with the switch!

      AZ people need a quick computer repair www.mightyits.com

    23. Member 10Ten's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2007
      Location
      Dave's not here.
      Posts
      6,348
      Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      07-13-2010 01:26 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      Well World you are WRONG!

      It's up to us, to demand to our beloved representatives that this kind of actions are investigated by a neutral party and if determined that the officer was at fault, and wasn't cautious that he/she should be responsible for this.

      Let's pretend for a minute the tree was a human being, a kid, an elder, somebody's mother, i'm pretty sure the outcome would have been different. That's why many cities do not do high speed chases anymore because they are here to protect and make sure everything gets resolved without harming innocent people.

      Their job is to serve and protect, and this guy was serving alright but i don't see anywhere the protect aspect of his actions.
      so how's that idealism working for you? sorry, but my cynicism is hard-earned.
      either way, the man survived. which is awesome as awesome gets.

    24. Geriatric Member SSLByron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      37,003
      Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      07-13-2010 01:26 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Disproportional response shows poor judgment. "another officer chasing a burglary suspect" =/= "rape in-progress". In either case, now the citizens are on the hook for the cost of a replacement vehicle, cost of accident response, and the officer's medical expenses.... AND the initial goal of the officer responding to the call STILL wasn't accomplished.

      Non-cops have single-vehicle 'accidents' and get ticketed for it. This guy not only made the call/response situation *worse*, he cost his community $$$$$. But because he's a cop he should be able to giggle "oopsie!" and that's OK?
      To serve and protect*

      *Only when deemed fiscally responsible by disinterested third parties.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

    25. Member TheDarkEnergist's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      Crooklyn
      Posts
      8,536
      Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      07-13-2010 01:28 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by cheeebs View Post
      so how's that idealism working for you? sorry, but my cynicism is hard-earned.
      either way, the man survived. which is awesome as awesome gets.
      I'd respond...but this is exactly what I'd say.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

    26. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,537
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      07-13-2010 01:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Non-cops have single-vehicle 'accidents' and get ticketed for it. This guy not only made the call/response situation *worse*, he cost his community $$$$$. But because he's a cop he should be able to giggle "oopsie!" and that's OK?
      Mistakes happen (just don't try to suggest that cops actually make mistakes in court).
      The difference? When cops make mistakes that cause themselves serious injury, they later get a medal.

      And that CVPI must be defective. No fire?
      Last edited by BRealistic; 07-13-2010 at 01:32 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    27. Member Das Borgen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2008
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      8,079
      Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      07-13-2010 01:34 PM #27
      that'll buff right out
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

    28. Member bluerabbit0886's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2003
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      8,838
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      07-13-2010 01:38 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      Well World you are WRONG!

      It's up to us, to demand to our beloved representatives that this kind of actions are investigated by a neutral party and if determined that the officer was at fault, and wasn't cautious that he/she should be responsible for this.

      Let's pretend for a minute the tree was a human being, a kid, an elder, somebody's mother, i'm pretty sure the outcome would have been different. That's why many cities do not do high speed chases anymore because they are here to protect and make sure everything gets resolved without harming innocent people.

      Their job is to serve and protect, and this guy was serving alright but i don't see anywhere the protect aspect of his actions.
      Yes, let's continue to blame police for trying to do their jobs instead of the real people at fault, criminals.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

    29. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,537
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      07-13-2010 01:41 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      Yes, let's continue to blame police for trying to do their jobs instead of the real people at fault, criminals.
      Actions should be judged, not parameters.

      The cop should face the same exact scrutiny after a mistake that any working stiff civilian would face- and also deal with the same tickets/charges/expenses. Or do you think cops should be held to a lower standard than average civilians?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    30. 07-13-2010 01:43 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by cheeebs View Post
      so how's that idealism working for you? sorry, but my cynicism is hard-earned.
      either way, the man survived. which is awesome as awesome gets.
      I'm not saying that he should have get hurt. I'm glad to see he survived, glad to see nobody got hurt! But it does bother me some of the double standards some authorities all around the world use.

      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      Yes, let's continue to blame police for trying to do their jobs instead of the real people at fault, criminals.
      I really like cops, some of my good friends are cops, i've heard some of their stories, i've been through some of their stories, and trust me i would have hated to heard that the trooper hit a by stander instead of a tree. This world is perfect, i know it first hand, i'm not trying to make it perfect, i deal with issues like this on daily basis, but it doesn't mean that i won't voice over my opinion over something that has certain level of importance to me!
      I had a funny signature before, and it went to waste with the switch!

      AZ people need a quick computer repair www.mightyits.com

    31. Member bluerabbit0886's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2003
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      8,838
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      07-13-2010 01:45 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Actions should be judged, not parameters.

      The cop should face the same exact scrutiny after a mistake that any working stiff civilian would face- and also deal with the same tickets/charges/expenses. Or do you think cops should be held to a lower standard than average civilians?
      Way to put words in my mouth.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

    32. Member HaterSlayer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2007
      Location
      Lithonia, Ga
      Posts
      7,088
      Vehicles
      00 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe
      07-13-2010 01:53 PM #32
      Not to sound like an ass, but if someone broke into my house/business I don't want the cops to say he got away because it was raining so he was driving carefully.

    33. Member Egz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      16,267
      Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      07-13-2010 01:55 PM #33
      If you are worried that your tax dollars have to buy a new cruiser, next time you need to call 911, tell them to drive slower to make sure they don't damage your cruiser.

    34. Member chamster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      L.A., CA <-> Split, HR
      Posts
      3,861
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr CW, 2012 Focus HB Titanium, 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
      07-13-2010 01:55 PM #34
      Cops are some of the worst road hooligans. I see them speeding without lights on, switching 3 lanes at once without signaling and making turns without signaling all the time.
      This one will probably get a medal and bonus for putting his "life on the line". Good thing he didn't take some innocent citizen with him.
      -- Senna didn't need downforce, the weight of his balls pushed the car down.

    35. Member bluerabbit0886's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2003
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      8,838
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      07-13-2010 01:56 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by HaterSlayer View Post
      Not to sound like an ass, but if someone broke into my house/business I don't want the cops to say he got away because it was raining so he was driving carefully.
      Agreed.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •