Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Axle shortening

Vehicles
      94 Golf 1.8t syncro, Bagged 03 Bugeye Wagon, Bagged 66Chevy C10
      07-16-2010 01:46 PM #1
      I'm swapping a passat syncro setup into my mk3 gti with mk2 front suspension. I need my passenger front axle and the rear prop shaft shortened. For those who have gotten this done where did you go to get it done. The more info the better.

Also for the rallye owners. where do you get your passenger front axles when you need them.

I need this done asap. Thanks in advance for the help
      Last edited by Jr Smith; 07-16-2010 at 01:52 PM.
      Cars, Beer, Camping and Burning $hit
      SCOOTERS 6th ANNUAL GTG

2. 07-17-2010 07:33 PM #2
      if you had put the passat syncro control arms because they are longer by 1 inch. you wouldnt have to shorten it.

Are you wanting to keep the same front tire width or what?

i got mine done at greens automotive in richmond bc

3. Member
      07-17-2010 07:46 PM #3
      On my swap I used the Passat control arms and tie-rods with the stock A2 anti-sway bar and this way I used the stock Passat Syncro drive shafts on the front. I've seen a number of people cut the drive shaft for the passengers front shorter in the middle and then sleeve it and weld it back together. You will still need to have it balanced but this is pretty easier and it will be easier than finding a A2/A3 Syncro passenger side drive shaft in North America. For the rear drive shaft I took it to Green's automotive as well and had them cut it and balance it. Any racing/offroad shop should be able to do this and many machine shops should also be able to do it so it shouldn't be a problem getting it done.

Vehicles
      94 Golf 1.8t syncro, Bagged 03 Bugeye Wagon, Bagged 66Chevy C10
      07-17-2010 10:23 PM #4
      Im running mk2 suspension up front with a mk2 manual steering rack so i can tuck my new wheels more. This is why im having issues with the front axle. I went to 2 different driveline shops and called a few others and most told me that because it was foreign that they wouldn't even touch it. I had one guy tell me he could attempt to shorten the prop shaft but wouldn't be able to hold it in the balancer on the flange side.

So i might have someone make me a spacer on the passenger output cup so that i can run a b3 vr drivers axle on it. Since it's only a a inch off
      Cars, Beer, Camping and Burning $hit
      SCOOTERS 6th ANNUAL GTG

5. Member
      07-17-2010 10:49 PM #5
      When I had my rear drive shaft shortened Greens Automotive asked for the CV joint that connects the rear shaft to the middle shaft and this was enough to allow them to get it on their lathe. I'm not sure what you can do if there are no shops that are able to do this, it is simple machining so it shouldn't be a problem.

6. 07-21-2010 08:32 AM #6
      i brought mine to a few places in langley, and they said the same thing. its foreign so we cant touch it.
      they didnt want to touch the fusion welds at the yokes
      bunch a newbs all greens did was draw a line down the middle cut out the desired length and machine a tube to fit inside so it was straight and weld it together.