Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ABS/Braking Issue (Pulsating Brakes)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 WOLFSBURG JETTA
      07-18-2010 11:35 PM #1
      I have an issue with my car, I get a pulsating brake pedal from time to time. its weird and scary. I have done my research with the nice search area and i think it might be my abs servo (aluminum block with a black thing attached to it below the air box). Uhm, but I'm just not 100% sure. If anyone reading this has any ideas, please let me know. I have removed my calipers and I'm cleaning them up now, so the system will get new brake fluid and be bled properly. I don't think that either of those have an effect on the issue at hand though.

Vehicles
      2003 2.low jetta soon to be on Mercedes' Jawns
      07-18-2010 11:40 PM #2
      your pulsating brake pedal is mostly from warped rotors, mine did that not but 2 days ago and i had the rotor refinishied and it went away

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 WOLFSBURG JETTA
      07-19-2010 09:01 PM #3
      See, it only does it every once and a while. Not all the time. That is why I didnt think it was warped rotors.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 WOLFSBURG JETTA
      07-19-2010 09:11 PM #4
      Also, when the pulsating brakes happen, it throws up an ABS and traction control (ASR) light. Ohhh and it only happens when the car is about 15 mph or slower. So stopping or turning into a parking lot.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      ..a Volkswagen
      07-19-2010 11:42 PM #5
      Check your abs sensor in the wheel well... its not warped rotors if its hit and miss...
      How my car sits right meow

RonBurgundy

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t, 03 Passat Wagon 1.8t
      07-20-2010 06:04 AM #6
      i had the same issue a while back...
      What i found out was my ABS ring on the front right wheel was bent...bought a new ring on ECStuning
      and problem went away...

you can also clean the abs sensors with brake clean or compressed air since they are magnets and attract metal shavings from the rotors.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 WOLFSBURG JETTA
      07-20-2010 03:28 PM #7
      Yeah, I have the calipers completely off now. I checked the abs sensors. they have some dust stuff on the tips, but arent touching the abs ring. and i just replaced my wheel bearings. so i dont think that the abs ring would be bent. the pulsation only happens when the car is slightly turned to the right or left and im braking pretty much to a stop.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 WOLFSBURG JETTA
      07-20-2010 06:09 PM #8
      helpppppppp. puleaseeee

Vehicles
      07-20-2010 06:51 PM #9
      yeah its the abs ring man or the sensor...
      check all 4 with a dial indicator tool...the abs sensor does not touch the ring of they do it will create the pulsation braking.

also check if your rims are balanced...a really unbalanced wheel will make the abs go nutz.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 WOLFSBURG JETTA
      07-20-2010 07:43 PM #10
      Well I hooked up my scanning tool to it, and it threw up a left front abs sensor problem. I had to rewire the plug, but didnt have the plug, so i just hooked wires to it. I'm just going to get a new plus and grommet from the dealer (I have an in and get a discount). So I'll rewire it right and hopefully that should fix it.

Its really hard to explain the pulsating brakes. It feels like two spur gears with worn down teeth just scrapping. makes that sound too.

Vehicles
      07-21-2010 02:07 AM #11
      yeah i know how it feels..
      Once you fix it...try ti get the car to do an ABS stop...
      get up to 20 to 30 MPh
      and slam on the brakes the car should go into an ABS stop which makes the brakes pulsate the way you describe.

Its a very common issues with cars with ABS systems..
      One more thing you can do is check the brake lines for and funky wear, cracks and swelling.
      this can cause the braking speeds to be different so you can simulate an early ABS stop while driving slow or slowing down while cursing on the brake. in other words one wheel is turning faster the its adjacent wheel so the ABS rings are not in SYNC so the car will go into a ABS stop..

I hope any of this info helps you ...

12. 03-26-2011 03:10 AM #12
      Hey, Clemson.

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have experienced this. It started happening on my 2000 Jetta last year and has been driving me nuts ever since. Changed the pads, flushed the brake fluid, you name it. Took it to Aamco, who didn't know their @ss from a hole in the ground. It's still happening, probably only 3-4 times per year, but when it does, it's scarrrrrrrrrrrr-ey! Mine seems to happen in the same way you've described ("pulsating" pedal, ABS warning light, etc), but it's usually during an emergency stop situation (ie - slamming on the brakes in city traffic because the guy in front of me does something unexpected). The one thing I didn't see in your write-up that happens with me is a temporary "loss" of braking ability - thus the scary part. It comes right back almost immediately, but freaks me out enough that I don't let anyone ride with me anymore, for fear that the problem will pop up again out of the blue. Did you have this problem as well?

13. 05-27-2011 12:08 PM #13
      Friends, I had the same problem, the solution was to shorten the distance between the sensor and the abs ring

regards

14. 06-15-2011 01:03 AM #14
      Hey, Nico. I wasn't aware until now that anyone had responded to my last post. Thanks so much for your input. This is my first vehicle with ABS, so it's new to me, but I'll open things up and see if I can figure out how to shorten the gap. Thanks!

15. 10-24-2012 01:02 PM #15
      did what nico said work??

ive been having this issue for the past year and the abs has been kicking in EVERY stop without fail for the past 8 months..... really annoying

and no this is not a common problem on cars with ABS ive had 6 cars so far ALL with ABS i swayed from hondas to VW's thinking simple problems with brakes would be easier to solve with VW make... boy was i wrong

00' MK4 here

Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Golf GTI GLX VR6
      10-24-2012 01:06 PM #16
      iv'e got kinda the same issue, only on slow turns in a parking lot will the ABS kick in once and a while, feels very weird.
      ===========================
      2000 VW Golf GTI GLX VR6 - Satin Silver

VRSociety Member #8