Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diesel to Gas wiring harness

07-25-2010 10:36 AM #1
      Just wondering if a gas engine wiring harness will plug in to the diesel fuse panel from a mk1. I'm half way through a g60 swap and I know where I can get a gasser harness, if it will plug in I'll go pick it up but if its another harness I'm going to need to tear apart I won't bother. It would just be simpler to integrate a gas harness into the Digi 1, assuming it plugs in.
      Thanks,
      pics for clicks
      Last edited by 1slowVW; 07-25-2010 at 06:00 PM.

07-25-2010 07:54 PM #2
      Come on, many people have swapped diesel to gas before diesels were "cool" someone must know the answer.

Vehicles
      1988 Jetta
      07-25-2010 08:12 PM #3
      well my looks you have a Digi1 engine with fuel rail and so. so you need the whole digi1 harness and ecu...etc i don't see you using a stock Mk1 diesel harness on a G60 engine running digi1 to work on that. you need the correct harness for that engine. need something that takes boost as well. so don't go looking around for a digi2 harness!
      donald + Mk1 Rabbit = happy

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Flash Green V70R
      07-25-2010 08:24 PM #4
      Is this an 81 or newer?

81-84 Westmoreland harnesses are different for gas vs diesel. (and also AC vs non AC)

The harness is in 2 main parts. The front body harness and the dash harness. The fuse/relay panel is part of the dash harness.

Diesels are different because they have the wiring for the glow plug relay and do not have the sub harness for CIS.

AC cars the front harness is different because there is all the wiring for the AC and a power supply for the 4th speed of the blower fan.

You can make your existing harness work just fine with some careful work. I dont see that getting a gas harness would help all that much... Unless it was a later A2 CE2 harness that you could plug the digi 1 harness directly into... But then you have cluster plugs and stuff to modify...

So six of one have a dozen of the other...

07-25-2010 08:33 PM #5
      The car is an 81 the harness I'm working with it out of an 82, thank you for taking the time to answer, I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and think that I should be able to use the diesel harness...using the fuel pump solenoid switch to power my coil and running independent relays to power the rest of the Digi 1 stuff (fuel injectors/ecu). I'm just coming from a diesel background here so its a lot of wires to have to plug in all of a sudden compared to the 3 that it takes to run an old IDI.

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      07-25-2010 08:35 PM #6
      you are already doing a swap..... why put a old gas harness in that you have to splice all into in order to make the digi1 work.

The only major differences are that you need to run power and ground for the fuel pump/relay, Add switched power to the coil, and remove the power wires for the glow plugs and associated diesel parts. Otherwise it is all pretty much the same. Then splice in your Digi 1 harness and go to town.

07-25-2010 08:41 PM #7
      Saddest, I hear what your saying. I needed to change the wiring harness and fuse panel because it was hacked beyond belief, I've got a new diesel one I was just wondering if going gas might be easier.
      Like I said guys I'm really wiring incompetent,
      I've been looking more at this wiring diagram tonight

I already have the digi 1 harness its just a matter of getting power to all the right places,integrating it with the stock diesel harness.

Vehicles
      A small fleet...
      07-25-2010 10:10 PM #8
      Last edited by BellCityDubber; 07-25-2010 at 10:16 PM.

07-25-2010 10:42 PM #9
      BellCityDubber

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules....r=asc&start=15

will that work out for ya.
      This is the most helpful guide to doing a g-60 swap out there, as far as I'm concerned.