Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: coolant spewing from reservoir?

1. 07-27-2010 08:24 AM #1
      hey guys i need some help, a few days ago my car started to over heat, so i did a coolant flush because maybe there was a clog somewhere, i took my car to a distant gas station to see if it would over heat and it didnt not, when i got home i let the car idle while i was talking to a buddy and it started to over heat quick to 95% and coolant started spewing out of the reservoir, never had a problem like this.

may be a silly question but im stumped, can anyone give me a hand at what could be wrong?
      maybe the thermostat could be closed? even though its only got a 1k on it?

Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      07-27-2010 08:30 AM #2
      Bad t-stat is an option.....

When you flushed the system did you fill from the resservoir and trap an air pocket in there?

After the flush and fill id you burp it well?
      I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

3. 07-27-2010 08:33 AM #3
      thanks for the quick reply.

when i did it i might have im not too sure, but i did burp the system. it ran nice for about 15 min.
      but if it had a air bubble wouldn't it over flow earlier?

Vehicles
      07-27-2010 08:54 AM #4
      all depends on the temp...... open the reservoir, start the car and let it idle, squeeze the top rad hose occasionaly..... there should be a point where the coolant sort of wells up out of the reservoir then drops suddenly just before the fan comes on....

The sudden drop in coolant level is the t-stat opening up. when the t-stat opens up the lower rad hose will start warming up too. and not so long after that, with the car stilling still, the fan will come on.

The reservoir is partly about letting small air bubble working there way out of the system. Big air pockets can completely block coolant flow and need to be worked out manually.

If you did your fill by adding coolant to the reservoir, you probably have a good air pocket down in the block.

fill the reservoir. put the cap back on. let the car idle a bit and start squeezing the upper rad hose and you should be hearing some squishing noises. add coolant as necessary and keep squeezing the upper rad hose while keeping an eye on the temp gauge.

keep checking the lower rad hose to see if it starts getting hot.

If the car starts over heating and you can't force out the air bubble, then your t-stat is bad or has debris in in causing it not to open correctly.

With the car parked and idling, when the fan comes on, both the upper and lower rad hoses will be hotter than you want to hold onto for long.

Two other things..... once you have the air worked out, turn the heat on and let any trappe air work its way out of the heater core too, and read the bentley about the fill proceedure.

Vehicles
      nine-deuce w/ trunk 'n' 2 litah
      07-27-2010 10:39 AM #5
      what I do to make sure I never get air bubbles:

-First I drill a small 1/8" hole in the T-stat to let any air escape
      -Undo the top rad hose at the engine and fill the rad
      -Then undo the same hose on the rad side to fill the engine
      -Put whatever's left in the coolant tank
      -Run the car for like 15 minutes and you should see a slight drop (like .5"), fill the rest.

6. 07-27-2010 12:45 PM #6
      ok thanks , i put in some more coolant since i lost a bunch load, and burped it all over, the reason the car is over heating is the fan is not turning on, possibly the fan sensor, but thanks for all the advice will save this all for sure

and yes i have drilled the little hole before i put it in with the new waterpump

Vehicles
      07-27-2010 03:12 PM #7
      your fan wont come on until the coolant in the radiator gets hot.... which means the t-stat needs to open and the coolant is flowing.