Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1983 Jetta Coupe Wolfsburg Edition - Mars Red Black Tweed 5 speed PNW

Vehicles
      Current: '99 BMW 328is (E36), '74 Alfa Spider, '83 Rabbit P/U, '78 Rabbit, '77 Rabbit, '06 Chevy HHR
      07-27-2010 08:55 PM #1
      This car is no longer available. It has found a new home!

1983 VW JETTA COUPE - WOLFSBURG EDITION

MORE PHOTOS HERE:

I bought this car back from a fellow Vortexer approximately 2 years ago. I have literally driven the car less than 2k miles in the 2 years that I have owned it. It is just part of my 6-car collection that I am currently downsizing. It is a shame to have a car like this sit and gather dust. I really hope it finds a good home.

This is somewhat of a rare model being a coupe, Wolfsburg Edition and in Mars red. The former owner maintained the car very well and worked out many of the bugs. It was his daily driver and was kept substantially stock to pass California smog.

Here is a list of things that I am aware of with the car:
      • 5 speed FN longbox (better at higher speeds and better mpg)
      • Wing vent windows
      • Euro bumpers and headlights
      • Neuspeed upper front strut bar
      • Lower front 'Rocco "k" bar
      • GLI badge (not a real GLI)
      • Dynomax exhaust and euro downpipe
      • Black tweed interior
      • Black interior panels and dash (no dash cracks)
      • Original 1.7L motor replaced with a rebuilt 1.8L JH motor
      • Slight head work (nothing special) and stock JH cam
      • Higher compression than stock (run Mid Grade) does not ping
      • No knock sensor needed
      • Motor rebuilt approximately 4 years ago
      • Brakes, rotors, rear wheel bearings, drums, disc pads and ebrake lines are approximately 2 years old
      • Neuspeed Koni coilovers
      • Upper suspension bushings replaced 2 years ago
      • Steering rack bushings (mount) replaced 2 years ago
      • Headlight relays (H4s with working and correct city bulbs)
      • A2 style turn and wiper levers
      • 1992 Cabriolet speaker grills and pockets
      • Poly rear strut bushings
      • Motor and transmission mounts replaced
      • Clutch replaced when the engine and tranny were out
      • EMPI shifter (pull up to get into reverse)
      • Approximately 12k miles on engine
      • Callaway oil cooler with braided lines
      • Many things replaced when the engine was rebuilt (water pump, battery, wires, plugs, rotor, O2 sensor, head gasket, valve cover gasket)
      • Catalytic converter is approximately 5-6 years old
      • Front ball joints and A arm bushings replaced
      • CV drive shafts and all flange bolts replaced (NEW not remanufactured)
      • "Atlantic" steering wheel insert
      • Schrick oil pan (Cast out of 6061 Aluminum, this high capacity Schrick oil pan will increase oil cooling capabilities with its cast in cooling fins located on the bottom of the pan. To top it off, baffles are cast into the inside of the pan to help with keeping oil at the pump pick-up tube. The ability to keep the oil at the pick-up tube will decrease the chance of ruining a cylinder head due to lack of oil pressure while taking hard turns.) These are $300 new!
      • No rust!! (originally a PNW car, then CA now back up here)
      • No A/C
      • No sunroof
      • Car NEVER gets hot, oil pressure is excellent and oil temps are low
      • 15" Black RS Limited lightweight wheels
      • Clear coat on one wheel is damaged
      • Front passenger tire has slow leak (add air every few months)
      • Front tires: AVON ZZ 195/50ZR15
      • Rear tires: KUMHO ECSTA Supra 195/50R15
      • Lots of tread on the tires
      • Remote mirrors are functional
      • Heater, front and rear defrosters work great
      • No cracks in any of the dash vents
      • Ashtray is functional! Hard to find one that works properly.
      • There are door dings and light scratches here and there
      • A small ding/dent near the antenna (see photo)
      • A dent beneath the driver's side rocker (looks like someone didn't know where to put a jack!)
      • If I were to keep it I would replace a few of the window, and trunk seals.
      • Tons of receipts included.
      • Paint is lightly faded. I had it detailed a year and a half ago and could go for another polish.
      • This is NOT a show car and does show signs of age. It is mechanically solid and built to be a driver.

I have a definite fondness for this car. I originally purchased it I am thinking close to 10 years ago in Seattle. I drove it for a few years until I traded it to Dan (dbried) down in California. We swapped titles on the side of I-5 in Oregon. He drove his new Jetta back to California and I drove my new GTI back to Washington. In the 5 or so years he owned the car he did LOTS of work to it as you can see by the list above. Well, he had an ad up here a few years ago and I just had to have it back. I would really LOVE to keep this car but really cannot justify it when I have 2 other Rabbits, an Alfa Spider, a BMW and my work rig. It's becoming an addiction these cars and I.

This photo was taken around 2 years ago after it was detailed and riding on BBS RMs:

OK...so price. Well, I know what I paid and I know what has gone into the car. I have also tried to do my best researching online to be competitive and reasonable. I will be losing money no doubt. I know, cry me a river.

$3900 (cash or equivalent) I am located about an hour south of Seattle, WA.

Also, I will not be separating any parts off of this car so please don't ask. I also don't "need" to sell the car so please no insanity. If you don't like the price feel free to make a reasonable offer or just move on.

I am more than happy to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge. Feel free to shoot me a message here. THANK YOU
      Last edited by Thirsty4H20; 12-27-2010 at 04:06 AM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      85 turbo diesel & 05 R6
      07-31-2010 02:17 PM #2
      Excellent car!

Vehicles
      MK2 (RIP), MK1 ABAT (Sold), 71 Chevy C-10(sold), b5a4Avant (sold), b3 vr6 passat wagon, 01 Bandit 12
      08-01-2010 02:23 AM #3
      just curious, you in olympia?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 bucketVR 03variantYAWN
      08-01-2010 09:47 PM #4
      Why did I have to buy a house!!!

I want this so bad so clean

Good luck with sale

Vehicles
      Current: '99 BMW 328is (E36), '74 Alfa Spider, '83 Rabbit P/U, '78 Rabbit, '77 Rabbit, '06 Chevy HHR
      08-02-2010 05:20 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by calebgc View Post
      just curious, you in olympia?
      yes, I am in Olympia.

Vehicles
      08-02-2010 05:21 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by matthewx View Post
      Why did I have to buy a house!!!

I want this so bad so clean

Good luck with sale
      thanks!

Vehicles
      08-02-2010 05:22 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VEExDUB View Post
      Excellent car!
      thank you, too!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 GLI 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      08-02-2010 09:22 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty4H20 View Post
      . It is just part of my 6-car collection that I am currently downsizing.

I saw this car in CA, it is a beauty.

You going to be selling any of your other VW's?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      08-05-2010 08:57 PM #9
      bump it.

delicious!

“I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '73 beetle, '81 pickup, '13 GTI
      08-05-2010 09:22 PM #10
      Too bad you're not closer to PA.

Vehicles
      08-06-2010 03:02 AM #11
      Picked up the car this morning from a detail shop. Looks GREAT!!! I'll post a few more pics soon.

12. 08-10-2010 08:57 AM #12
      this just got picked up by jalopnik this morning, so expect some more interest...

13. 08-10-2010 09:03 AM #13
      Is it random to get put on nice price or crack pipe or are you friends with someone? Just curious.

Nice Jetta BTW. I used to have an 85 GLI, was a great car.

Vehicles
      08-11-2010 03:11 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by camp6ell View Post
      this just got picked up by jalopnik this morning, so expect some more interest...
      uhh...what?

Vehicles
      08-11-2010 03:12 AM #15
      anyway...car is still available...kinda lost me with the last few replies.

Vehicles
      MKV R32
      08-11-2010 12:24 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty4H20 View Post
      uhh...what?
      http://jalopnik.com

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      08-11-2010 02:00 PM #17
      yes, Jalopnik

check out the reference to vortex in bold

For $3,900, Is This VW Yet Another Jetta?

When introduced to the U.S. in 1980 the Jetta became the first notchback VW ever offered for sale in this country. Today's Nice Price or Crack Pipe Coupe seems a fine example, but is its price a coup too?

Perhaps it was too many bad memories of riding in the back of them, or of having their presence loom in your rearview. Or maybe it was just too damn expensive and potentially more worn out than Sasha Grey's cinnamon starfish. But whatever the reason, an overwhelming 83% of you thought that, while it would be fun at recess, the Ex Bondurant School Cobra Vic should get a passing grade in one class only, and that was Crack Pipe 101.

That custom cop car might not have been too cool for school, but upright sedans and their coupe cousins are represented by some of the coolest kids to ever sit in the back of the class. The BMW 2002, Datsun 510, and today's rectilinear candidate, the VW Jetta, proved that sporting pretensions and practical looks can go together like Mamet and masturbatory prose. Discounting the French Curve-emulating Karmann Ghia, until the MTV generation VW never gave their U.S. Customers a notchback body style. Oh sure the teased us with Type Three notches, some of the most achingly pretty cars VW has ever built, and offered in both Canada and Mexico but never officially crossing the border to notch our belts. The K70 - originally intended to be an NSU sister to the amazing RO80 - was likewise denied to an eager car buying public, who were saddled instead with the twin poxes of the 411 and the 412. Even when the company went large with the Dasher/Fox twins, they kept their product a fastback, while giving Audi all the notchy good times.

That drought of notch ended when VW took the Giorgetto Giugiaro-designed Golf/Rabbit and gave it junk in its trunk. Usually a booty call like that results in an awkward monstrosity like Ford's Scorpio or Ice T's wife, but in this case, the car looks even better balanced. Like the other desirable notches, the first gen Jetta has, for the most part, gone the way of Elvis. That's why finding a rust-free example (especially of the uber-rare two-door) is pretty cool.

VW fanatics run the gambit from wild-haired borderline tweekers who have nasty, stripped out body shells powered by some kind of home-brew turbo nightmare, to the kind of anal retentive brand crusaders who have pumped their every last dime into making their specific VW (they have 12 of them) produce 650 horsepower at the wheels, while enshrining it all in a car so divinely pristine the Virgin Mary herself could eat buckwheat falafels off its rubberband-like tires.

This 1983 Jetta falls somewhere in between those extremes. When Volkswagen's little hatchback was originally designed, U.S. bumper laws were not really taken into account. That's why, while the rest of the world got Golfs with Kate Moss hanging off their extremities, the only option available to American buyers were Rabbits with Kirsty Alley strapped to each end. And just like that former Cheers star, when the Jetta debuted, they got even bigger. This modded car fixes that problem by having tossed the castle-storming endcaps with the more demur and, obviously lighter, Euro pieces. That, and the glass brick headlights improve what's already a good looking car. There's a number of dings and dents that the seller notes in his Photobucket photo essay, but none is too awful, and the arrest-me red paint remains pretty shiny, at least in those photos. Wolfsburg plastic wheel arch extensions and a set of RS Limited rims in formal black finish the dress up. Inside, the Wolfsburg plaid interior is claimed unmarred and the dash appears to have survived the intervening decades without suffering the unflattering cracks that they and wearers of low-rise jeans inevitably do.

Under this Jetta's hood rests not the original 84-pony motor, but a 1.8 injected unit which, while not expressly promised, should be good for at least a 100 horses if the litany of mods is to be believed. That mile long list seems longer than the standard features when the car was new, but tells you that this Jetta has had a lot of what wears out already replaced. Details however are scarce, and while the seller says that four has been rebuilt, he doesn't say when, or how many miles the Jetta carries in total. Of course if you're down with the Dub, you won't care how many miles are on it, because you're going to replace this or that next year anyway, as these cars are always a work in progress.

While this car's progress is only modestly, and seemingly tastefully modified so far, it should be noted that it is being offered for sale on the VW Vortex Forum. That online venue is to the fan of the water-cooled Vee-Dub what San Bernardino County to a meth addict, or Craigslist is to a lonely fetishist looking for a willing participant to s**t on their chest. It's like jumping into the lion's den of VW rabidity.

Reality on that site, along with the argument over the merits of rear wheel drive over that of front, seriously bends the laws of physics. That's not to say that rationality is as rare there as a car without something by Neuspeed on it, and in fact this 3-box Jetta's asking price of $3,900 seems as modest as its modder's aspirations.

But what do you think about that Benjamin-short of four large for this seemingly well cared for Jetta? Does that price make you want to take this notch back? Or, is that too much to put this notch in your belt?

You decide!

Nice Price or Crack Pipe: 1983 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Coupe for $3,900.

Vehicles
      08-12-2010 07:22 AM #18
      I now understand the previous posts.....wow.....kinda cool being displayed there (I guess)....the jalopnik followers can be brutal!! At least I am at 62% popularity with my price...

http://http://jalopnik.com/5608746/for-3900-is-this-vw-yet-another-jetta

19. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      08-12-2010 08:39 AM #19
      so Jalopnik had some fun writing about the car.

I saw and drove the car last week and can say it is everything Andy says it is and more.

Stunning and well put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

Vehicles
      BT MKIV, VRT Coupe, Coupe quattro
      08-12-2010 08:13 PM #20
      I love it, I wish you were on the right coast.

Vehicles
      08-18-2010 11:57 PM #21

22. 08-20-2010 08:19 PM #22
      club Grim Water
      "When there's no more room in Hell"

Vehicles
      08-26-2010 11:48 PM #23

24. Banned
      Vehicles
      '86 Camaro, '79 bunny
      08-28-2010 09:59 PM #24
      bump-a-rump

excellent car!

Vehicles
      beastly little 8v
      08-30-2010 09:17 PM #25
      I got a 98 audi a4 quattro for trade. I can get pictures and details if ya like.
      Best part about driving a mk2, is how you know how low your oil is by looking on the ground.

Vehicles
      09-15-2010 06:30 PM #26
      I need space....already have 6 cars!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI, 90 jeep wrangler
      09-15-2010 11:37 PM #27
      interested in looking at it txt me or email me during the call or call me after 130. 253 370 7937 thanks scott

28. Banned
      Vehicles
      '83 GTI, 84 jetta TD
      09-16-2010 09:41 AM #28
      good luck with the sale!

Vehicles
      1984 VW GTI
      09-16-2010 11:14 AM #29
      BECAUSE THIS CAR IS BLESSED!!!
      Very proper A1

Vehicles
      09-18-2010 05:44 AM #30
      Thx DubSigTony! I agree....very proper...no BS here!

31. 09-19-2010 08:30 AM #31
      Can the A/C be installed into this engine & dashboard if used factory parts are available? How clean do the ventilation ducts smell?

Will California owner be able to register this car?

Please feel free to call me 310-251-2831

Thanks.

Peter

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      09-19-2010 09:10 PM #32
      this is one sweet ride

as to A/C... I think that would be one royal PITA to retrofit.

Save your energy for a car that came with A/C... I'd considered the same thing until i realized what was involved
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      09-22-2010 02:26 AM #33
      evening bump

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

Vehicles
      84 Vw rabbit L
      09-26-2010 12:17 PM #34
      Nice jetta. I don't see too many of these mk1 jetta's around where I live

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 09:05 AM #35

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast