Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: EPC Light - Engine won't start

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      07-28-2010 09:53 AM #1
      2010 Passat 2.0 TSI with 3917 miles.

I was in the fast lane doing about 75, the cars in front of me all started panic breaking, I had to stab the brakes, as the car dipped the EPC came on and "Check engine" blinked in the MFI .... I never came to a stop, maybe slowed to 30, then when I went to hit the gas - the car started sputtering and got worse and worse. I pulled over and she stalled, it... would start right back up, then stall out again.

This happened once before, just without the stalling - I stabbed the brakes and the EPC came on and "Check engine" blinked in the MFI, but no CEL. I drove home fine and the next day when I started the engine, there was no check engine light or EPC.... That was about 2 weeks ago - then this.

Towed to dealer using VW roadside assistance, driving a Hyundai Accent loaner
      Waiting to hear from them

Any Clues?
      Last edited by rookie; 08-04-2010 at 12:06 PM.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

2. 07-28-2010 03:10 PM #2
      could be a ignition coil..... i took off from the gas station one time a little too fast and i hit a bump pretty hard and i had the same symptoms as you and found out a ignition coil went out

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      07-28-2010 04:04 PM #3
      Dealer just called - they are stumped and waiting for VOA super tech to call them back - The codes are:

P0321 Ign./Distributor Eng.Speed Inp.Circ Range/Performance
      P0341 Camshaft Pos.Sensor Circ Range/Performance
      P2138 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch
      Last edited by rookie; 08-04-2010 at 12:06 PM.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      07-28-2010 06:27 PM #4
      Someone said it was a wiring harness issue and that there is a TSB on it and he's surprised VW wasn't aware of it.
      Last edited by rookie; 08-04-2010 at 12:07 PM.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      2009 silver leaf passat wagon
      07-29-2010 12:04 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
      Dealer just called - they are stumped and waiting for VOA super tech to call them back - The codes are:

P0321 Ign./Distributor Eng.Speed Inp.Circ Range/Performance
      P0341 Camshaft Pos.Sensor Circ Range/Performance
      P2138 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch

My guess is this is a bad APR install
      Sounds like a rookie guess. Your codes didn't mention anything about software.
      The first line of defense is You. H&R springs Bilstein sports APR stage 1, Magnaflow exhaust.

Vehicles
      2007 Sport 2, 6 speed
      07-29-2010 03:08 PM #6
      the software wouldnt know if you stabbed the brakes or not, this has every indication of being a wiering harness issue. When there is a sudden weigt shift forward the problem occurs. some harness somewhere isnt routed correctly and it doesnt have the necasary complienece to handle the mechanical movements induced by the sudden stop. No dount as the cars sits stationary in the shop its testing OK
      2007 2.0T Sport 2, 6 speed, Dynaudio, Koni FSD

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      07-29-2010 10:32 PM #7
      Called APR, they said it was a wiring harness issue and that there is a TSB on it and he's surprised VW wasn't aware of it.
      They have to repin a new connector for the throttle body. I have seen it on 2010 GTI before.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-03-2010 10:37 AM #8
      So - the dealer said VW told them to swap out the Crank Sensor (which to me is odd)

Obviously - there was no change

My car has been at VW for a week, and they are still stumped

Do you have any info on that "repin the throttle body"
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      08-03-2010 06:21 PM #9
      So - the dealer said VW told them to swap out the Crank Sensor (which to me is odd)

Obviously - there was no change

My car has been at VW for a week, and they are still stumped

Do you have any info on that "repin the throttle body"

I thought you got tracs light too but you don't so not likely a throttle body repin like I thought.

I wonder if there is wires loose at the ECU.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-04-2010 12:08 PM #10
      Okay - Crank sensor was a no go, but they did get the car running long enough to get very odd crank sensor readings.

This could really confuse the computer and keep the car from running.

VW is telling the tech that this has cropped up in a few other circumstances, and they think it might be with the crank sensor reflector (the wheel that the sensor reads as it spins)

Apparently these used to be made of machined steel, but now they are stamped metal..... which could be a production problem.

They are dropping the oil pan to see if they can see any visual problems with this wheel.

If there is a problem, they will replace my engine with a new one!!!

They don't do crank tear downs on cars with 3000 miles on them.

I mentioned I'd most likely want to sell the car back to them and get a whole new vehicle, and he mentioned that is certainly a possibility.

I asked him why the symptoms of crank position anomalies would only occur under hard braking and he had no answer for me....

I will find out something this afternoon.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-12-2010 11:06 AM #11
      I went in to the stealership on Saturday to get some things out of my car.

The entire interior was pulled apart along with the transmission sitting next to my car.

I am really going to push for a new car, my car has 3917 miles on it and now has been completely taken apart.

Apparently I need a whole engine wiring harness, which for some odd reason is VIN specific. That may take a few weeks to get, then a two days to fix.

They happily got me out of the piece of s**t Hyundai Accent into a slightly better Hyundai Elantra. Driving an Accent is like punishment, horrible steering, brakes, anemic engine, transmission made of rubber and jello..... shty interior, a death wobble at 75mph, droning noise interior, and the looks of an aborted egg. The Elantra is a 100 times better, but still has issues, Same wobble at 75mph - but at least now I have central locks so I don't have to go to each door when I load and unload the kids.
      It's quieter inside and it can actually get out of it's own way... even though the transmission seems to hunt for a gear if you move the gas pedal in any way.

Then VW called and said it would be 6 to 8 weeks for my wiring harness.

Since my car is such low miles, anything over 30 consecutive days in Maryland falls under the Lemon Law and they must replace my car.

Started the Lemon Law paperwork last week and sent a followup letter today requesting vehicle replacement - told the VW regional rep

Yesterday: Now they say my car will be fixed in a week....

Today - Just called me again and said the part arrived and I should have my car back tomorrow !!!

Amazing how the threat of utilizing the states' lemon law got their butts moving.

We we see if this all goes well - the rep said we could then discuss "compensation"

Hmmmm..... Those Interlagos wheels are nice, maybe a Nav system? High def kit?
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

12. 08-12-2010 12:38 PM #12
      Screw that man....push for a new car. Get pictures of it in pieces and send along to VW. Go get'em man. Lemon that car out. Let us know what happens.

Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon TSI DSG
      08-12-2010 01:49 PM #13
      APR Full Boat Chipped
      I assume this is about your current car. Is everything OK with the ECU? Nothing loose or damaged from the removal/reinstall?

This question always comes up in the GTI forum whenever strange "electrical" issues pop up, and the car has been chipped.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-13-2010 08:12 AM #14
      Surprise - new harness didn't fix it.

Now they are trying replacing the ECU.... I don't think it will fix the problem.

Once again - the problem occurred when I went to slow down suddenly, it had happened once before - but got over it quickly and without such bad results.

To me - the sudden deceleration the first time must have caused a short to ground fault, the second time must have fried the component that was shorted, problem is that the ECU can't figure which component is fried, but it can't run without that component working properly. Oddly - I didn't throw any codes referring to shorts.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      08-15-2010 10:24 AM #15
      Wow...I'm sorry to hear about all the issues with your brand new car. I would certainly push for a new car. I'm not sure what the law is in your state, but in Colorado, if your car has been inoperable due to the same issue three times, it falls under the lemon law statute. This will have been three times now, right?

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted as to what happens.

- Jeremy.
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-23-2010 11:13 AM #16
      Water was in the ECU - not covered under warranty

I will post results once this situation is settled
      Last edited by rookie; 08-31-2010 at 07:23 PM.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      Mine: 2010 Passat Hers: 2012 B8 A4
      08-23-2010 11:33 AM #17
      Water was in the ECU - not covered under warranty

I will post results once this situation is settled, but I don't want to get to involved here as I may have to Litigate (not against VW)
      So when the tech cut up the seal around the ecu and told me it was ok... It's really not okay?!?! I'm grabbing my silicone and sealing that mofo up. I really don't want to have to go through your pain. Sorry to hear this happened. How did they find water in the ecu? Did they take it out and open it up? My apr tech told me they don't handle/fix the ecu at the dealer. He said they only installed/replaced it. O man it's been raining a lot too. I now have the worries winter is also coming.. Snow can't be good... Silicone it is..

Let us know what happens...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-24-2010 11:44 AM #18
      The dealer did 25 days of work on my car, testing thru VW germany, regional super-tech drove in, they put every effort into finding out what was wrong with my car.

When the ECU was removed and the tech found marks around the edge of the ECU, they determined it had been tampered with. Not wanting to eat 25 days of service work for a non-warranty problem -

They called in the regional service tech to pull apart the ecu, you are correct, the dealer will not open the ecu, The tech photographed the exterior prior to opening the ecu.

Once opened, it was apparent that the ecu had been opened as there were forensics (fingerprints) inside the casing along with the rusted out pins which started this whole nightmare.

The old ecu's used a goop that easily resealed the cases, the newer MKVI ecu's use a bead of sealant that drys, so once it is opened, the sealant must be scraped out and replaced.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 03:24 PM #19
      The dealer did 25 days of work on my car, testing thru VW germany, regional super-tech drove in, they put every effort into finding out what was wrong with my car.

When the ECU was removed and the tech found marks around the edge of the ECU, they determined it had been tampered with. Not wanting to eat 25 days of service work for a non-warranty problem -

They called in the regional service tech to pull apart the ecu, you are correct, the dealer will not open the ecu, The tech photographed the exterior prior to opening the ecu.

Once opened, it was apparent that the ecu had been opened as there were forensics (fingerprints) inside the casing along with the rusted out pins which started this whole nightmare.

The old ecu's used a goop that easily resealed the cases, the newer MKVI ecu's use a bead of sealant that drys, so once it is opened, the sealant must be scraped out and replaced.
      Did apr dealer not reseal it for you? Did they out that black seal or did they just cut it and left it?

So what's your next move?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-24-2010 03:53 PM #20
      I will post results once this situation is settled, but I don't want to get to involved here as I may have to Litigate (not against VW)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 04:07 PM #21
      Ok

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      08-31-2010 07:19 PM #22
      okay - This situation was cleared up and fixed by the installer.

All parties involved did a stand up job taking care of this unfortunate learning experience.
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      08-31-2010 08:18 PM #23
      Glad to hear it wasn't a manufacturer defect with the car. I'm sorry to hear it took so long to diagnose, though

- Jeremy.
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      09-01-2010 08:42 AM #24
      You related to Lane?
      2010 Passat Comfort
      Full Vag-Com Service for

Vehicles
      09-03-2010 10:01 PM #25
      okay - This situation was cleared up and fixed by the installer.

All parties involved did a stand up job taking care of this unfortunate learning experience.
      good to hear!!

Vehicles
      2009 GLI, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      09-29-2011 09:05 PM #26
      Bro' you just scared the ish out of me. My EPC light came on two days ago; car was running fine not making any noise or anything but didn't clear till I disconnected the battery. Hasn't come back on, I'm out of warranty and stage II. so all i could think is damn this is gonna be $$$$
      Glad at the end of the day it all worked out for you