Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: VWvortex First Drive: 2011 Jetta 6

1. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      08-02-2010 01:39 PM #1
      This is one of those rare times when writing an initial drive report for a brand new model is actually tough. It really shouldn’t be, because the formula is usually pretty consistent: Manufacturer A unleashes the all-new, next-generation version of its best-selling XYZ model, and almost always it is a genuine improvement over the outgoing model. But not so much this time. With the all-new sixth-generation Jetta, Volkswagen of America is attempting to realign its most popular model to make it more attractive to a broader range of buyers. While we applaud the effort to bring more buyers into the VW family, we fear the company may have lost the script that has consistently made the Jetta the most popular European nameplate in this market...

FULL STORY...

2. 08-02-2010 01:51 PM #2
      Why is VW trying to make the jetta look like a ford focus? Ughhhh!!!

Vehicles
      '11 Accord EX, '08 R32, '04 R32, '94 Integra GS-R. '04 Taurus
      08-02-2010 01:53 PM #3
      Great write-up Jamie, as always. For me, the all-new Jetta doesn't truly exist until next May when the GLI arrives. I'm anxious to see what VW has up its sleeves, especially in the interior-upgrade department.

I'm hoping VW sells boatloads of these things in the meantime, because then it starts to make a business case for bringing over an R version down the road. A 265hp AWD (possibly) Jetta sounds awfully entertaining!
      Current VWs: 'MKV TR R32 (#3687), MKIV TR R32
      Past VWs: '88 Fox, '93 Fox, '95 Jetta, '96 Jetta Trek, '99.5 Jetta VR6, '01 Jetta GLX VR6

4. 08-02-2010 01:56 PM #4
      OK, they say they are competing with corolla and civic, but do they have to make it look just like the corolla and civic.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Volkswagen Golf
      08-02-2010 02:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by A2gtirulz View Post
      OK, they say they are competing with corolla and civic, but do they have to make it look just like the corolla and civic.
      Come on now - whatever faults the new Jetta has, it doesn't look like a Corolla or a Civic. It's a big step up from the Mark V in terms of looks, and looks more like a Volkswagen.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      08-02-2010 03:09 PM #6
      Nice mini-review

The all black interior looks so drab, dull and funnerary...

This is MUCH better

The 2010 special edition Jetta
      http://www.elsiguientepaso.mx/

2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      08-02-2010 03:33 PM #7
      Sounds like they just need to de-decontent the interior. Still think the SEL-1,2,3 and TDI-2 should be "Euro-Spec" given their prices. Regarding the Mexican Special Edition isn't it kind of silly to throw an RNS-510 navigation in there yet keep the craptastic Polo instrument cluster and lack of full steering wheel controls. El Cheapo.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      08-02-2010 04:23 PM #8
      seems to me that despite the forthcoming GLI... VW has decided to make the GTI the real "driver's car" of the lineup. This is sad.
      xbox live: vroompsht
      2006 GTI 2.0t

Vehicles
      '15 Jeep Cherokee, '10 JSW
      08-02-2010 06:31 PM #9
      I'm guessing it pained Jamie to write that review, being how we all love VWs and all. It's apparent that the Jetta is now a mainstream car, no longer for enthusiasts. We'll see about the GLI, it's probably a good thing I got my 2010 JSW since who knows how long it will before VW touches the JSW and make it dumbed down too.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI & 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      08-02-2010 06:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHorton View Post
      seems to me that despite the forthcoming GLI... VW has decided to make the GTI the real "driver's car" of the lineup. This is sad.
      That makes no sense. Despite the GLI? You mean the sedan version of the GTI that will share the GTI's engine, transmission, suspension, styling cues, and interior treatments? All while being possibly lighter-weight?

As is always the case, the GLI and the GTI are both the "driver's cars" of VW's compact lineup. I will never understand people who think that the GTI is so far superior to the GLI. One poster, and I'll omit his name because this won the most ridiculous post ever award, even said of the MkV cars... "the GLI is technologically inferior to the GTI." Really? You mean the GTI's engine, transmission, suspension, and electronics are somehow rendered all technologically inferior when a trunk is added? But I may be writing this to someone who was a follower of that illogical philosophy...

11. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      08-02-2010 06:37 PM #11
      This was not an easy review to write.

VW wouldn't have to do much to "fix" the small issues. Put the chintz plastics on the 8v 2.0 S and SE models and the better plastics in the SE and SEL 2.5 and TDI models. That way everyone can have their cake and eat it too.

I think the GLI will be a vastly different beast.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      08-02-2010 06:52 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      That makes no sense. Despite the GLI? You mean the sedan version of the GTI that will share the GTI's engine, transmission, suspension, styling cues, and interior treatments? All while being possibly lighter-weight?
      possibly lighter weight. If that's true, I may concede this point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what exactly was wrong with tacking a trunk on a GTI and calling it a day? Now you are taking a literally Camry sized car and trying to make it into a pocket rocket. I don't personally think that will work quite as well.
      2006 GTI 2.0t

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      08-02-2010 06:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHorton View Post
      The GTI has always been the real "driver's car" from VW.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      08-02-2010 07:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      You mean the sedan version of the GTI that will share the GTI's engine, transmission, suspension, styling cues, and interior treatments?
      I think it's the suspension comment that really sticks in my craw. It's has 3 extra inches of wheelbase. That means it's not the same...

It's going to feel like a different car.
      2006 GTI 2.0t

Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit (RIP), 2010 CC VR6 3.6 4motion
      08-02-2010 07:14 PM #15
      i think it looks like a bland A4 which is a bland car already. they needa make a 4wd GLI coupe to get my money
      Three.8.Werks
      My bagged CC 3.6 VR6 4motion Thread
      @BrunoJS

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      08-02-2010 07:54 PM #16
      I'm sorry, but I despise the new gauge cluster. It's a bit too simpleton for my taste. Overall, I don't think it looks too bad, but I'd still rather have a Golf.

Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5 and 2007 GTI
      08-02-2010 08:30 PM #17
      Okay, lets just acknowledge the elephant in the room...VW made a mistake. Let's stop crying over all the spilt milk and move on.

Question is...what's everyone going to move onto when their current Jetta's need replacing...

Vehicles
      1 with 2 doors and 1 with 4 doors
      08-02-2010 09:42 PM #18
      Having some hands on time with the car today makes me think its not as bad as Jamie makes it out to be. I have to admit that every picture I've seen makes me cringe, but actually seeing it in person up close makes me think that it just doesn't photograph well. As for the interior I can concede that it feels a little chintzy, but the SEL definitely had a slightly better feel to it than the base model. Overall I like the look of this car in person a hell of a lot more than the MkV.

Vehicles
      Samoa Red b5.5 , 88 lemon 16v , fat fendered 69 ragtop
      08-02-2010 10:04 PM #19
      its a lamb in sheep's clothing , no "wolf" to be found

Vehicles
      2000 Passat GLS V6, 2002 Passat Wagon GLS 1.8t
      08-02-2010 10:21 PM #20
      Man.. when i saw the concept a while back i was impressed.. This just looks Bland and boring.. What happened VW

21. 08-02-2010 10:24 PM #21
      Looks like a Honda or Focus to me.

The brown special edition just needs a UPS and vehicle ID stickers slapped on it and it can join the UPS fleet for deliveries.

22. 08-02-2010 10:57 PM #22
      I REALLY REALLY REALLY can't understand why they put that stupid stone age 8V engine in a car again!!! That thing is so old and inefficient. The least they could have done was redesign it or mate a 16V head on the thing. Yes I know I could get the 2.5 5 cyl. But that is a few thousand more. Just my .02 cents!

Thanks
      Justind

23. 08-02-2010 11:08 PM #23
      Blah, blah, blah. Same ol' compalints. When the Mk3 came out, the "fanboys" said "looks too aftermarket, to be less hurtful it looks like a Hyundai." When the EmmKay4 came out, the fanboys said it looked too much like a Dodge Neon. lastly, when the Mk5 debut and a leaked photo came out with the Chrome shield, fanboys were in uproar. It was even reported, "Is VW trying to get out of the American-market?" When the Mk6 Jetta is available, the same fanboys who are complainig are gonna warm up to it. Whore it out with pictures, place 20-something inch rims on it, put airbags on it. Tuners are gonna be making suspension kits for it. Along with the usual Supercharge this, turbo charge that. Same ol', same ol'.....

Vehicles
      Cornfed b5S4, mk4 1.8, 2JZ
      08-02-2010 11:15 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Rage In The Machines View Post
      Blah, blah, blah. Same ol' compalints. Same ol', same ol'.....
      bah its not the same ol same ol....wait yes it is! they put the same ol 8v engine in that was used 2 generations ago... along with dumping a real suspension setup for the ****ty torsion-beam that was in a mk3.
      this is what happens when you let U.S. companies drive automotive decisions (for a EU company)
      .....vwoa probably employs some (formally successful) GM people that didnt make the cut in 09.
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
      Kerosene is fuel, RedBull is fuel, Kerosene is RedBull, .... Whatever kills me just makes me stronger
      JDL FTW

Vehicles
      Cornfed b5S4, mk4 1.8, 2JZ
      08-02-2010 11:17 PM #25
      Blah, blah, blah. Same ol' compalints. Same ol', same ol'.....
      bah its not the same ol same ol....wait yes it is! they put the same ol 8v engine in that was used 2 generations ago... along with dumping a real suspension setup for the ****ty torsion-beam that was in a mk3.
      this is what happens when you let U.S. companies drive automotive decisions (for a EU company)
      .....vwoa probably employs some (formally successful) GM people that didnt make the cut in 09.
      this is disappointing. looks like ill replace my mk4 with a passat/A4. ->a real chassis.
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
      Kerosene is fuel, RedBull is fuel, Kerosene is RedBull, .... Whatever kills me just makes me stronger
      JDL FTW

26. 08-02-2010 11:46 PM #26
      Bring over the Polo already.

Vehicles
      2011 328i, 2008 Legacy
      08-02-2010 11:49 PM #27
      Why is everybody so upset over this?It is a VW Jetta (people's car after all, right?), and I don't see reason why it should have superb handling,be fast, have all the fancy amenities and thus compete with Passat or Audi...Overseas Jettas are choice of taxi drivers, old people and it's a far cry from enthusiast car. People are even complaining about the way trunk link is hinged...new BMW 5-Series has the same trunk lid configuration..and you can buy two Jettas for the price of 5-series, so what's the big deal...
      Leave the Jetta where it's supposed to be, mass markets...there is Audi, with all the fancy features that people seem to want on a model that is supposed to compete with Corolla.
      I agreee on one thing, and that is that 2.0 belongs to a museum and not on a car made in 2010,can't imagine how that thing is going to be sluggish, plus AC and a couple of passengers..oh man, I feel sorry for some poor "VW enthusiast" flooring it trying to merge on highway.

28. 08-03-2010 12:19 AM #28
      The new Jetta is the most disgusting thing VW has ever come out with. I would take an Aztek on 18's with a 4 inch wheel gap over this POS.
      VW, you are dead to me....(no wait, love the current GTi)

Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan
      08-03-2010 12:53 AM #29
      I really like it, and for a sub $20,000 car they are going to sell like hotcakes.

30. Member
      08-03-2010 01:01 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
      I really like it, and for a sub $20,000 car they are going to sell like hotcakes.
      Let's not forget what the current world economy and particularly the US economy are like right now. The crash started in November of 2008. I know design lead times on new cars are longer than that, but I have no doubts that the car has been cheapened because we all have been cheapened. Yes they will sell a lot of them, and people will be happy with their new cars.

Vehicles
      askavwsalesguy.com
      08-03-2010 01:11 AM #31
      I like the HVAC controls on the Mexican version much better than what we got but VW wanted the ediot proof controls to make the JD power crowd happy.

with that being said this car will sell like hot cakes and thats what they want.

Vehicles
      2011 VW Golf TDI
      08-03-2010 01:13 AM #32
      Blah, blah, blah. Same ol' compalints. When the Mk3 came out, the "fanboys" said "looks too aftermarket, to be less hurtful it looks like a Hyundai." When the EmmKay4 came out, the fanboys said it looked too much like a Dodge Neon. lastly, when the Mk5 debut and a leaked photo came out with the Chrome shield, fanboys were in uproar. It was even reported, "Is VW trying to get out of the American-market?" When the Mk6 Jetta is available, the same fanboys who are complainig are gonna warm up to it. Whore it out with pictures, place 20-something inch rims on it, put airbags on it. Tuners are gonna be making suspension kits for it. Along with the usual Supercharge this, turbo charge that. Same ol', same ol'.....
      Agreed. There will always be people out there to hate.

Once they start hitting the lots, people will buy them up and the MkVI Jetta forum will be full of people. I think the exterior is a huge upgrade from the MkV. Never liked the MkV or its huge chrome grill. The interior could be better. I certainly don't like the lack of MFD controls on the steering wheel.

Glad I ordered a MkVI Golf TDI....but the Jetta isn't bad.

33. 08-03-2010 01:55 AM #33
      How does this:

and this:

and finally this:

Looks anything like the Jetta?

All this talk of what it resembles compels me to post this:

34. 08-03-2010 04:46 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by child_in_time View Post
      Why is everybody so upset over this?It is a VW Jetta (people's car after all, right?), and I don't see reason why it should have superb handling,be fast, have all the fancy amenities and thus compete with Passat or Audi...
      Leave the Jetta where it's supposed to be, mass markets...there is Audi, with all the fancy features that people seem to want on a model that is supposed to compete with Corolla.
      Win. This=Wisdom.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn 2-dr White 6MT, 2011 Audi TTS Scuba Blue, 2007 VW GTI TR
      08-03-2010 06:33 AM #35
      Very sad... So boring as to be surreal! This Jetta will probably be well loved by the bleating sheep who keep purchasing these cookie-cutter sedans in NA. Reminds me of my wife's parents new Chevrolet Impala. I hope (pray) that the MK VII GTI is decent in a few years for real enthusiasts. The Jetta has always been irrelevant- Europe appeasing the (m)asses in the colonies. Oh well, I'll be enjoying my 320 hp 2011 Audi TTS meanwhile-have fun...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast