Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 1Z/AHU M-TDI

Vehicles
      mk1´s
      08-22-2010 11:26 PM #26
      not running a rear mount is a bad idea with the mk1 mount setup, esp with a diesel. not hard to fab up
      loud `n low, rollin' coal

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      08-22-2010 11:34 PM #27
      Somebody was bored and searching 02a's
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      08-23-2010 12:17 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 4000stq View Post
      not running a rear mount is a bad idea with the mk1 mount setup, esp with a diesel. not hard to fab up
      rear mount looks like it could easily be made up with 4-5 pieces of mild steel fairly easily.. dunno why it would be left out when it holds all the rear rotation of the engine when torquing. but hey, to each his own.

yes I am bored, at least I'm using the search!!
      Last edited by 8v-of-fury; 08-23-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      08-23-2010 06:44 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v-of-fury View Post
      no rear mount eh? Only run the two sides and the front? Isn't that kind of sketchy? I mean i'm not saying it is as I have no idea.. but what holds all the torquing from the engine?

This is with an 02J tranny and the aluminum MKIV upright. I am using a custom tranny mount that has been welded into the frame rail and reinforced. Haven't had a problem other than the stock MKIV threads in the upright are fine and I re-tapped them to a coarser threaded grade 8 bolt. I am also using polyurethane bushings in it. And yes, NO rear mount.

Vehicles
      mk1´s
      08-23-2010 06:54 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn B View Post
      This is with an 02J tranny and the aluminum MKIV upright. I am using a custom tranny mount that has been welded into the frame rail and reinforced. Haven't had a problem other than the stock MKIV threads in the upright are fine and I re-tapped them to a coarser threaded grade 8 bolt. I am also using polyurethane bushings in it. And yes, NO rear mount.
      loud `n low, rollin' coal

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      08-23-2010 08:13 PM #31

All I did was emphasize that I was not running a typical mount set up and more importantly, explain what I am running

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      08-24-2010 10:21 PM #32
      I mean if it is equally supported elsewhere I suppose it is perfectly fine right? How much does the engine torque back in the bay when revving it? Just curious on the other possibilities of this setup. I will probably go with a rear mount of sorts, but its interesting to learn all the angles.

Also at this point I am just thinking of all the little things that may snag me up come D-Day. Just noticed looking back at a picture, will the two wires that come from the fuel tank sender unit work with the 98 cluster and such?

Also on the cabin fan, I suppose this can be self relayed by me, or is it already?

Headlights will be relayed, and possibly upgraded to Halogen bulbs instead of sealed beams.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-03-2010 01:41 AM #33
      Dear A1 I've got a few more questions for ya buddy and for others who know this ish as well. Today I commenced taking apart the front end and removing the engine wiring harness. Labelling every single vacuum hose, plug, and connector.

Had to shut down shop and wait out a rain lol

But there are a few things (which I'm sure are essential as part of the swap) that I just don't have names for, or have no idea on their function. So if you wouldn't mind helping me out a little bit that'd be great.

First off these two switches i'm guessing, both have rubber lines going to them. I believe the left ones lines go down to the cold side of the turbo, and the others go to the intake tract. what are they and what is their purpose? They are slated to make the swap with the engine.

The next is this little guy that used to reside up near the coolant bottle, and has to vacuum lines running in to it. One from the vacuum pump and the other goes in to the cabin with the coolant lines on the firewall. What does it do?

Next question is how do i disconnect this monster!? It looks as though it is a connector for most of the front of the engines electrical sources, a very good idea in my mind, one easy connector.. whole engine should be this way. One connector takes the engine off the harness . I tried pulling, and twisting, I gave up for fear of busting it.

Which leaves me with about thirty more questions sadly no pictures though..

Rad sensor and fan wiring, I was thinking to be honest the easiest way of doing this would be to fab up some way to mount the mk3 rad in the 81, as then i would be able to plug and play literally everything. Temp sensor, fan wiring, and the hoses would plumb right up. I was also thinking of using the mk3 coolant bottle as well so that way I could maintain the coolant level device of the ECU. There is some module of sorts underneath the coolant bottle that I have no idea what it is for.. What is its purpose as well?

For the lines that that go from the vacuum pump and then to the switched device, can I use this to supply vacuum to my 81 HVAC??

The brake fluid level checker and brake fluid reservoir. will the reservoir fit on the on the 81's master? as it would make it easier to run the hydro clutch and all that junk I would think.

How do I go about removing the A/c Compressor and power steering pump? I think the Power steering is the only thing on the V belt? or is the WP on there too? Will the alt need a new bracket to fit on the engine without the a/c pump there? Or can it be cut and modified to make work minus the A/c.. ?

What sort of complications will I run in to by weeding out the A/c wiring? Will the ECU see it as a problem?

Also on swapping the car over to complete CE2, what about for the headlight switch? that is a very different switch.. how will there wiring interface? and such?

that concludes it for today I guess. thanks guys! Get back to me love to hear some feedback.. !

Vehicles
      Too many for a poor student.
      09-03-2010 10:14 AM #34
      you should pm radojon about this swap, he has one done. not quite sure if it is m-tdi tho.
      WTB: MK3, B3/4 TDI Donor Car. Rear end accident prefered.

#aokshop

How does your ego feel on the side of the road?

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-04-2010 11:22 PM #35
      A1 you never cease to amaze thanks man.

One question in there though that wasn't answered. The Alt bracket, will I need to source a non A/c one? or can I just cut and modify the one from the engine to take off the A/C compressor mounting area? Also what happens when I unbolt the coolant lines? I mean I know the coolant is going to come out, but will it come out like crazy? is it hazardous? what do i do? Never dealt with A/c systems.

Mk1 rad and fan it is then. It shouldn't be too hard to use the mk3 bottle though and the included features.

Yes I have read over Vdubspeed's and Funksoulkitty's threads several times and understand what needs to be done in terms of the hydro clutch setup. I only ask about the mk3 reservoir because it has the nipple on it for the clutch to take its fluid from. I guess fabbing up any little bottle that will hold some fluid for the clutch cylinder eh.

I was unaware of the wiring being exactly the same between mk1/mk3 headlight switch and the rest. Nifty that they kept it the same eh? Sounds good to me!

Tuesday/Wednesday will be the days I hopefully get all the wiring out of the car and start prepping for engine removal (axles, DP, etc junk)

Oh also on a side note, this engine seems to have a little oil in the boost pipes, i think i will need to be installing a oil catch can and or possibly deleting the EGR system altogether.. as it will be going in an 81 that needs no emissions.

Thanks guys!

Vehicles
      84 300sd 87 K-5 Blazer
      09-05-2010 09:10 AM #36
      this thread has lots of good starting points....

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142679

you could start by hammering the dimple into your ps frame rail that you'll need eventually.
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      We'll accept Canadians but draw the line at Texans.

Vehicles
      84 300sd 87 K-5 Blazer
      09-06-2010 08:41 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post

i skimmed a few of the diesel swaps and no one was doing this. i know there is zero issue with the alt tensioner fitment in the aba swaps and from what i gather zero issue in the diesel ones as well.
      skimming and reading aren't the same unfortunately. taken from the first thread in the link I posted above. I've seen this swap personally twice, and the clearance issue came up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
      When I put the engine in, I ran into clearance problems with the tensioner for the serpentine belt. A block of wood and a good motivator (read: 2lb sledge) cleared the frame rail for everything to fit.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ing-the-Engine
      Last edited by funnee84bunny; 09-06-2010 at 08:49 AM.

13. 09-06-2010 02:06 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      reading is for dummies.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-06-2010 06:33 PM #39
      I dunno if it matters or not the Mr.Dave is swapping an ALH? possibly different setup?

Either way thank-you to both of you, I will most likely clearance that whole lip on the frame-rail anyway to make sure T-belts in the future aren't a hoe.

Also A1 I think the tails should be straight forward, make a little test to see what plug end wires do what on both, write it down and splice. Just so long as all the harder shhhtuff will match I'm set lol

I read in a thread about how some guy actually used the entire brake setup from the mk3 and swapped it all over, (pedal cluster, booster, MC the whole works) This is probably more than I need to do though I think.

I got the axles out lastnight and was planning on having the coolant out too but the axles took a little longer than expected.. so what can you do right? lol

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-06-2010 06:42 PM #40
      A1 man, come on! Those were informative posts!! whatthefook.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-08-2010 10:06 AM #41
      anyway,

i have read that the mk3 drums are a step up over the mk1 stuffs (200mm>180mm), and cross referencing ETKA shows the axle stubs for the two to be the same. So what it looks like to me is that one would only need to swap over the back plate and hardware.. yes?

Totally upgrading

Also how do you feel about mk3 seats in an mk1? gotta shorten the seat track.. but its doable. I already have mk2 seats in there.. worth the trouble to go to mk3 seats?

17. 09-08-2010 05:20 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v-of-fury View Post
      A1 man, come on! Those were informative posts!! whatthefook.

Yes, go on.....

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-09-2010 11:23 AM #43
      I had to show some mad love to my mk1&2 today, so I did not get ANYTHING done on the TDI

Mk1 needed a bunch of **** to pass a last minute Certification tomorrow and the mk2 needed brakes all around.. Took up my whole day. fook

Vehicles
      84 300sd 87 K-5 Blazer
      09-09-2010 10:34 PM #44
      another person to pm about this swap; tongboy. I gave him a mk1 shell he swapped a tdi into...he's all over the pnw forums....

Vehicles
      80 16v 4dr on megasquirt
      09-11-2010 07:27 AM #45
      I was gunna do the same swap and have decided it was not what I wanted. a 2.0aba16vt should be much more fun.
      a local shop finetuning in Washington has done a lot of tdi swaps u can email them questions thru the site. the owner is building his own big turbo scirocco tdi as we speak 170hp ish ask for cris he's on here too so that's who is talk to
      Mk1 love

21. 09-11-2010 11:28 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      another person to pm about this swap; tongboy. I gave him a mk1 shell he swapped a tdi into...he's all over the pnw forums....

Hmmmmm..... nice.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-12-2010 08:37 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by RAINWAGEN View Post
      a 2.0aba16vt should be much more fun.
      Don't get me wrong, that sounds a totally richeous engine.. I just hate the inefficiency of gas engines... Anything under 40mpg is heinous and can suck it I had tons of fun with the 1.6 N/A.. almost 2x the HP and almost 3x the TQ... I think I'm still gonna have loads of fun Don't you? lol

What is needed to be done to make the mk1 axles mate with the mk3 inner cv's exactly? I have read there is grinding needed, I have also read direct swap.. nothing definitive, whats the deal?
      Last edited by 8v-of-fury; 09-12-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      09-12-2010 11:19 PM #48
      On using the rear brakes from the 98 on the 81.. It looks as though the back plate and actually brake hardware (shoes, springs, bearings) is all that is needed to make the swap, as the stub axle is the same part.

EGR deletion.. I pulled off the intake tube to have a look and the dreaded blackness is taking over my intake with a litle over %25 i'd say of blocakge.. How is this deleted.. almost looks likt one or two blocking plates on the back of the intake.. Confirmation?

thanks for reading

24. 09-13-2010 08:38 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      another person to pm about this swap; tongboy.

Vehicles
      84 300sd 87 K-5 Blazer
      09-13-2010 08:59 AM #50
      yeah, I only met him the day I gave him the car. Super cool cat. I think he ended up putting the tdi in a mk2 though...... he still made it look good in a mk1 though for a bit.

this was how we met
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...no-motor-trans

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast