Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DPF Delete

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI, 2002 tacoma, 2007 prius
      08-04-2010 11:09 PM #1
      So a friend of mine and I have started talking about making a complete DPF replacement pipe. I am wondering who all would be interested in this?

2. 08-04-2010 11:15 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineGuy View Post
      So a friend of mine and I have started talking about making a complete DPF replacement pipe. I am wondering who all would be interested in this?
      it would probably throw codes if you remove it...you will need something to trick the ECM???

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-04-2010 11:37 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
      it would probably throw codes if you remove it...you will need something to trick the ECM???
      Looking into that also!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      05 GTI, 07 Rabbit
      08-05-2010 03:07 AM #4
      I would be interested if it works and doesn't throw codes

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M CW
      08-05-2010 09:26 AM #5
      Not to be Debbie Downer or anything (although my even saying this is being just that...) messing with emissions control devices is illegal most everywhere in the United States for primary road going vehicles. Unless of course you're building this for track cars

Why not leave all the DPF gear hooked up, but remove it from the exhaust system? You could trick the ECU into thinking its still there and operational but actually just route the exhaust around it. You could also try creating some sort of dual exhaust with a switch that would route your exhaust through a bigger pipe, but leave the DPF gear installed in case you have an emissions test.
      Thanks,
      Steven

6. Junior Member
      08-05-2010 07:14 PM #6
      Count me in!!!

Vehicles
      '10 Mk6 Golf TDI MT6, '71 Datsun 240Z
      08-05-2010 07:28 PM #7
      Do we really think that there would be enough performance benefit to notice?
      Current - 2010 GOLF 2-DR TDI MT6
      Past - 1978 Scirocco | 1981 Scirocco S | 1986 GTI 8v | 1990 Corrado G60 | 1991 Jetta GLI 16v (bought new in '91, given to son in 2010)

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      08-05-2010 08:53 PM #8
      You can get close to 180hp with a simple ECU tune, DPF intact. Not worth it. Also, the DPF is there for a reason...

Vehicles
      '10 Mk6 Golf TDI MT6, '71 Datsun 240Z
      08-05-2010 09:08 PM #9
      Well, that's my opinion as well. No particular advantage to not having the DPF that I can see.
      Current - 2010 GOLF 2-DR TDI MT6
      Past - 1978 Scirocco | 1981 Scirocco S | 1986 GTI 8v | 1990 Corrado G60 | 1991 Jetta GLI 16v (bought new in '91, given to son in 2010)

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      08-05-2010 10:21 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Arne-240Z View Post
      Well, that's my opinion as well. No particular advantage to not having the DPF that I can see.
      I see what you did there.

On topic, I must concur, removing the DPF is almost certainly not worth it.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-05-2010 11:43 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Arne-240Z View Post
      power gain, torque gain and 10-20 mpg? you're right no gain at all! Just google a little bit the tdi dpf removal. It's all over in Europe

12. 08-06-2010 12:24 AM #12
      Sorry guys, but there is a HUGE advantage to removing the emissions devices. (not just bypassing) they are very restrictive and very heavy. There will definitely be a mileage increase (2-3 MPG conservatively?) a power increase, and also allow you to tune the engine much more without worry about the DPF.

But, it's also very illegal for on road use, and difficult to do considering the DPF is pretty much tied into the turbo/exhaust manifold (or so I believe, I could be completely off base there)

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      08-06-2010 07:20 AM #13
      power gain, torque gain and 10-20 mpg? you're right no gain at all! Just google a little bit the tdi dpf removal. It's all over in Europe
      Do tell.... Gotta look into this.

Check this out
      http://chiptuningtools.eu/index.php?...&products_id=3

DPF removal DP1 VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda - all EDC16 & EDC17 €500.00
      This is module DP1

Removing of FAP / DPF is easy ! All you need is to read original file from car and process it with proper ECUsafe module, designed to find and remove all important DPF structures automatically, without your attendance.

File can be then directly written in ECU, or it can be tuned by you and then - written into car. DPF can be removed from car, sensors left unplugged (no sensors at all) or left in the exhaust. It does not matter.

No more regeneration, no more black smoke behind. No more DPF check light or lamps on the dashboard. Add DPF removal offer to your workshop capabilities !

Following modules can cover your car range:
      -
      DP1 - VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda - all EDC16 & EDC17 diesels (1.4 TDI, 1.9 TDI, 2.0 TDI, 2.5 TDI, 2.7 TDI, 3.0 TDI, 4.2 TDI, 5.0 TDI etc. )
      - DP2 - Fiat, Opel, Alfa, Lancia, Saab, Chevrolet - all EDC16 & EDC17 diesels (1.9 JTD/CDTI, 2.0, 2.4 JTD, etc.)
      - DP3 - Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Nissan - all EDC16 diesels
      - DP4 - Ford, Jaguar, Honda, Volvo EDC16 and Siemens SID diesels
      - DP5 - BMW, Mini EDC16 & EDC17 diesels.

You can buy selected modules from list above or bundle set of all for discount price.
      Last edited by quailallstar; 08-06-2010 at 07:23 AM.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

14. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI
      10-15-2010 06:36 PM #14
      There are Huge gains after removal of DPF. Power gain, torque gain and 10-20 mpg. The Cheapest way to do this mod would be removing your PDF of the car. Cutting out a section,removing filter material inside and welding it backup. ECU will also need to be modified/re flashed so ECU No longer requests any regeneration, this is what dramatically improves MPG. If you can read the ECU file yourself i can modify your file to delete DPF so there would be no regeneration and not codes thrown for DPF. PM me if anyone is interested.
      examples

10-15-2010 06:43 PM #15
      I can see where mileage would increase without the DPF. If you understand how the DPF works, you'd know that raw fuel is tossed downstream to the DPF at just the right temperature to burn all the soot out.

Imagine if you could use that fuel, for say - driving?

Here in California we have some pretty stiff penalties for messing with the emissions. I guess I better pass on this mod.
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      11-05-2010 11:27 PM #16
      PM sent to djeuroalex

Vehicles
      2007 Lotus Exige S, '13 Fiat Abarth
      11-06-2010 02:13 AM #17
      I'd be very interested to see what kind of power and efficiency improvements are to be had by nixing the DPF, assuming we can keep the ECU happy of course. Yes I understand this increases stuff leaving the tailpipe, but at the moment I'm just thinking out loud experimentally.
      "This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
      Sterling Mallory Archer

18. 11-06-2010 05:58 AM #18
      I'm going to tune as far as I can without removing it, and when it clogs or breaks or the warranty runs out, then I'll remove it!

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      11-06-2010 06:44 AM #19
      Just google a little bit the tdi dpf removal. It's all over in Europe
      Can't be arsed to Google, really, but DPF removal is all over in Europe? How do you trick the OBD to believe the DPF is still there. We have both emissions check and OBD check at technical inspections here.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      2011 GTI ko4'd - 2014 Jeep Rubijon
      11-06-2010 09:19 AM #20
      A friend of mine removed the Dpf on his 08 f-250 and saw huge gains in power and fuel economy. I dont see why it would be much different for the tdi guys. The Dpf does nothing for the cars performance only hurts it. The Dpf for the environment is a different story but I'm just hitting the benefits of removal.
      11 mk6 gti APR KO4 12.0@119 GoAPR

21. 11-06-2010 02:49 PM #21
      What I am really hoping is that we can run full bio-diesel with the DPF delete. All the environmental concerns surrounding this issue would then be smashed in my opinion. Please chime in if anyone has experience with the running b20 or above on a newer VW with DPF delete. It would be pretty awesome if I could have over 200hp running off vegetables

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      11-06-2010 06:55 PM #22
      Hello guys im a noob here and hope to put in some of my knowledge form what i have researched, i have been a diesel mechanic as a job for over 6 yrs but have just recently got into the computer aspect of vehicle modifications. I also hope to hear alot of advice form the veterans on here too!

epic designs- From what i have read and understand is that you really cant get the mixture right to get real power out of these little beasty engines because the computer will sense more soot adn heat in the DPF and will actually shut it down on the power and the air/fuel ratio. But without this crap in the computer you can tune it to unbelievable numbers because the computer isnt trying to stop the soot from happening.

Son- Yes it has been all over europe for awhile now even in other countries. They simply remove the DPF 'file' or program from the ECU because they dont have EPA breathing down their neck.

Branman- from what i have read searching the net. The EPA has mandated that the DPF is now a smog device on the TDI but wasnt on the trucks a few years back. They (EPA) is now making it tougher for the old saying "off-road" to be used.

Germangorilla- You would be able to run pure WVO or biodiesel because the DPF will not clog up. That is our limiting factor in using those types of fuel is they dont burn the same way as reg diesel so they gum up the worm holes and other passage ways in the DPF.

23. 11-06-2010 08:18 PM #23
      Great info Dieselfreak. Thanks for the help, I'm probably gonna wait a couple years or 36 months than do it

24. 11-06-2010 09:05 PM #24
      I already have a stage 2 malone tune, and its quite powerful even with the dpf system intact.

The computer doesn't seem to be limiting anything, and the power difference is obvious. Stock, the car could not break traction, and now the ESP light flashes even in 3rd gear under hard acceleration.

That being said, obviously I am near the limit of power output with the DPF intact. If I sustain full-throttle, high load, after about 20 seconds the EGT limits are reached and the engine reduces power output.

However, by the time 20 seconds is up I am going way too fast for public roads anyways, so it has only affected long uphill climbs at high speeds on the highway.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      11-06-2010 09:52 PM #25
      Thanks germangorilla. i hear you on the waiting game. I have to wait til its paid off. Its a deal the wife gave me.

epicdesign thanks for the info. when does your car start leveling out in the RPM range? in stock form mine seems to level out at 3500rpm into almost redline.I have the 6mt and its hard to keep traction on the roads in 1st and second but 3rd HOLY CRAP! I couldnt imagine having that much power and torque.

Vehicles
      '10 VW Golf TDI
      02-08-2011 10:31 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by djeuroalex View Post
      There are Huge gains after removal of DPF. Power gain, torque gain and 10-20 mpg. The Cheapest way to do this mod would be removing your PDF of the car. Cutting out a section,removing filter material inside and welding it backup. ECU will also need to be modified/re flashed so ECU No longer requests any regeneration, this is what dramatically improves MPG. If you can read the ECU file yourself i can modify your file to delete DPF so there would be no regeneration and not codes thrown for DPF. PM me if anyone is interested.
      examples
      This is an incredible idea, especially if you leave everything installed. In California all they do is a visual inspection to make sure the dpf is actually INSTALLED and with the dpf housing still there (and also having good welds so as not to suspect modification) they will never know!
      What program are you using to read/modify the ECU?

Vehicles
      '10 VW Golf TDI
      02-08-2011 10:33 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      Do tell.... Gotta look into this.

Check this out
      http://chiptuningtools.eu/index.php?...&products_id=3

DPF removal DP1 VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda - all EDC16 & EDC17 €500.00
      This is module DP1

Removing of FAP / DPF is easy ! All you need is to read original file from car and process it with proper ECUsafe module, designed to find and remove all important DPF structures automatically, without your attendance.

File can be then directly written in ECU, or it can be tuned by you and then - written into car. DPF can be removed from car, sensors left unplugged (no sensors at all) or left in the exhaust. It does not matter.

No more regeneration, no more black smoke behind. No more DPF check light or lamps on the dashboard. Add DPF removal offer to your workshop capabilities !

Following modules can cover your car range:
      -
      DP1 - VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda - all EDC16 & EDC17 diesels (1.4 TDI, 1.9 TDI, 2.0 TDI, 2.5 TDI, 2.7 TDI, 3.0 TDI, 4.2 TDI, 5.0 TDI etc. )
      - DP2 - Fiat, Opel, Alfa, Lancia, Saab, Chevrolet - all EDC16 & EDC17 diesels (1.9 JTD/CDTI, 2.0, 2.4 JTD, etc.)
      - DP3 - Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Nissan - all EDC16 diesels
      - DP4 - Ford, Jaguar, Honda, Volvo EDC16 and Siemens SID diesels
      - DP5 - BMW, Mini EDC16 & EDC17 diesels.

You can buy selected modules from list above or bundle set of all for discount price.
      Do you know anyone that has used this? Is buying this program the only way to view/edit your ecu program or can you do that with vagcom as well?

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI, 6MT, CW, Panoroof
      02-08-2011 10:44 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by germangorilla View Post
      What I am really hoping is that we can run full bio-diesel with the DPF delete. All the environmental concerns surrounding this issue would then be smashed in my opinion. Please chime in if anyone has experience with the running b20 or above on a newer VW with DPF delete. It would be pretty awesome if I could have over 200hp running off vegetables
      well the dpf isnt the only thing holding you back on running full bio. you also have to worry about oil dilution. easily solved by more frequent oil changes, but still an issue

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      02-08-2011 11:49 AM #29
      Revo has a DPF tune! Do it. I was about to but I sold my TDI right before hand. My county does not have emissions.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

30. Member
      02-08-2011 02:21 PM #30
      I just woke up from a very bad dream...I was watching Formula 1 on Speed, and when it ended they "rejoined normally scheduled programming". It was an episode of Pinks, and the next thing I saw was a smoke belching JSW being chased down the track by this:

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      02-08-2011 02:48 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by epic designs View Post
      I already have a stage 2 malone tune, and its quite powerful even with the dpf system intact.

The computer doesn't seem to be limiting anything, and the power difference is obvious. Stock, the car could not break traction, and now the ESP light flashes even in 3rd gear under hard acceleration.

That being said, obviously I am near the limit of power output with the DPF intact. If I sustain full-throttle, high load, after about 20 seconds the EGT limits are reached and the engine reduces power output.

However, by the time 20 seconds is up I am going way too fast for public roads anyways, so it has only affected long uphill climbs at high speeds on the highway.
      What car do you have a 2.0 CR TDI in that you put the Malone tune in?
      Last edited by dhambrick; 02-08-2011 at 03:00 PM.
      2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

32. 02-08-2011 03:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by brian81 View Post
      I just woke up from a very bad dream...I was watching Formula 1 on Speed, and when it ended they "rejoined normally scheduled programming". It was an episode of Pinks, and the next thing I saw was a smoke belching JSW being chased down the track by this:

those trucks run 50+psi with cemented passage blocks... Those things are NUTS

33. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      02-08-2011 04:33 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      those trucks run 50+psi with cemented passage blocks... Those things are NUTS

You don't need to cement the block to run 50psi .. people do it but not needed, especially not in a street truck like that.

There was one that got into the top 16 I think when all out came to Atlanta.

Another time went to a mopar show there with a diesel drag race going on at the same time (went for the racing now the show) one guy was running a compound setup on 12V cummins in a tube frame dakota (I think) 80+psi non intercooled just ran straight water injection for cooling. It ran so much water through that with blow bye he had to change his oil after every run!!!

Only diesel still in my life is my cummins swapped TJ

but if I don't like the leaf after a test drive in a few weeks I think a JSW TDI will find its way to my home

34. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      02-08-2011 04:34 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Revo has a DPF tune! Do it. I was about to but I sold my TDI right before hand. My county does not have emissions.
      Just for clarification if you mean tune WITH a DPF yes in North America we have software.

If you meant for a DPF delete/bypass currently nothing is released to the public at this time.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      04-15-2012 12:14 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      Just for clarification if you mean tune WITH a DPF yes in North America we have software.

If you meant for a DPF delete/bypass currently nothing is released to the public at this time.

not trying to raise up a necro thread but I've been thinking about this dpf thing for a few weeks now.
      I have 19k on my 11 tdi wagen and at the rate im going, ill be out of warranty this year.
      I dont really care about extra hp/torque too much. if I got more, I wouldnt complain either....

mainly im just looking for better mpg.
      I live in idaho and there are no emission checks for me. I drive on a hwy about 65 miles a day at 73-77 on cruise. im lucky to get 37mpg.... 520 a tank. I would love to see that number in the 600-650 range.

are there cost effective ways to remove this and just run a straight pipe from the cat back?
      and by cost, i mean letting the car not throw lights and codes and still try to burn the dpf every couple thousand K
      Quote Originally Posted by ujelly View Post
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast