Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: The Greenland Polo

Vehicles
      C123
      09-03-2010 11:46 PM #106
      Cool project Jamie! Can't wait to see it.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-04-2010 12:19 AM #107
      The car's quite "smooth" and rounded so I'd think you'd need something big and blocky to match

Where is that dirt coming from?? Is there rust-through between the inner and outer wheel wells?
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-04-2010 10:17 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      The car's quite "smooth" and rounded so I'd think you'd need something big and blocky to match

Where is that dirt coming from?? Is there rust-through between the inner and outer wheel wells?
      Surprisingly, I love the look of a set of 5 spokes on them. I've being semi-looking out for a cheap set of unfashionable late 90s early 00s 5 spoke 16x7s (Borbet type E etc).

The dirt (dust?) is piled inside every corner of the car, it's incredibly fine and is not sticky like normal dirt - it just brushes away like it is toner ink for a photocopier. It wipes clean, but is very hard to blast out when it's tucked away everywhere. I was going to remove the fuel tank cover last night, but when I opened up the hatch to look at it, it had the dust all over it so i'm just going to vacuum it up before working there.

I was thinking about putting some into a sandwich bag to keep with the history of the car - it's that weird. It's almost volcanic or something like that. Thankfully, it doesn't stick to the car at all, and I don't think it has ever seen salt so there's no rust issues from it at all. Oh, and it's coming from behind the plastic cover that's in there.
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-05-2010 10:51 AM #109
      Big day yesterday:

Lots more updates to come.

| '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      09-05-2010 12:32 PM #110
      Holy crap! Yay!

Are 1.8t Polos common to find in Europe?
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      09-05-2010 07:38 PM #111
      The factory never put the 1.8T in Polos of that generation although I'm sure there are a good few converted ones kicking about. Seat did put it in the Ibiza though

I'm 99% sure the mk4 1.8T crank pulley won't work with the ABA setup. I've got a set myself and the offset is wrong again, since the mk4 used the all-in-one bracket.

5.9mm off the ABA one is probably your best bet. Shawn DeZego (SDezego in the Corrado forum) did a really nice job on his where he parted the mounting face off it, cut the middle out, put a flange on both bits and then put it back together. I'll see if I can find a pic tomorrow
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

09-05-2010 08:10 PM #112
      fantastic thread! can't wait to see your final results!

8. Member
      09-05-2010 08:11 PM #113
      Holy crap! Yay!

Are 1.8t Polos common to find in Europe?
      that gen: 1.4 8v 65hp, 1.6 8v 75hp, SDI n/a diesel 64hp?

Later they got 1.6 100hp, not sure about TDIs.

So not a performance car The 75hp engine was pretty usable actually

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-06-2010 12:08 AM #114
      Still haven't gotten the photos up from yesterday mammoth day with Ben helping out again.

But here's todays:

Rear clearance where the turbo will go. We couldn't get the turbo bolted up yesterday as I didn't have the correct fittings for the oil/water lines. At least it looks like it *should* fit. Knock on wood..

Today I searched through some of my storage boxes marked '20vT parts', and found something that I really did not think I had - one of the two missing lines that we needed yesterday. It's been in there for at least 3 or 4 years, shame I didn't randomly have the other one. Need to buy one ASAP.

The hood wouldn't shut initially, but it still had the extra thick diesel sound deadening mat on it. Once removed, the clearance is pretty good:

Finally installed the damned water thermostat and wateroutlet. It turns out that with the european small sized radiator, the stock passat one is ideal. Every day for a week I've wanted to do this, it's so small but it's another tick. Hooray.

Box o' AEB 1.8T wires.

Engine wiring started to be laid out and test connected. With the 90' turn of the engine, I need to make sure everything's neat. I'm not going to the hide the wiring harness like another of my projects in the past, but I do want to make it as neat as possible and avoid any wear and tear to the harness in the future.

Yikes. This is the AEB factory engine wiring on the left, with the Polo hacked to death wiring on the right. Note how many wires are going to the raintray to the ECU etc up there.

While offering up the AEB wiring, I realised I need to swap this sensor on the intake manifold for the passat one, or else switch the wiring connector housing. The little things like this are always the slowest bit, especially when the Passat intake is 30 miles away now.

Photos taken with the flash now, again I worked through sunset. The wires wrapped to the right are for the passenger side headlight etc and the wiper. The loose wires on the left are all that's left of the SDI diesel wiring; one full connector deleted and a lot of other wires removed. I'm being careful to not remove anything that I can recycle with the AEB harness as I can switch the pins over to the same connector on the 1.8T ECU, keeping a nice factory finish to the wiring. All the other wires that need to be removed at this point are going to the relay/fuse panel inside the car so they will take a little while longer to remove.

Speaking of fuses.. I finally started to hardwire replacement battery terminals to the car (in case you missed the beginning, all of the wiring going near the engine was chopped out when the car was 'demiliterized'). Connecting up the smaller gauge wires (8 gauge or higher) is easy enough - i'm using the equivalent of the VW wiring repair connectors which is a crimp butt connector with a built in glue/heatshrink which makes a strong but relatively narrow connection that's ideal for the dozen or so wires i'll be doing in one spot. But.. they don't exist for 6ga or thinker wires, or at least I haven't found them.

So I was rummaging through my wiring box, and spotted the fuseable 'tuner / mega sound system OMIGOD gold plated see through' connectors that I think were left over from my 1990 Ford Fiesta that i swapped a 1.6L engine into when I was 18 years old. Yes, I had a couple of subwoofers in there but I was young and it was 1999 so I'm not ashamed. So, now the main positive from the battery to the fuse panel has a sick looking fuse in it, until I find a better solution or just accept what I have done. I'll keep justifying it by saying it's safer, and that no-one except TCL will ever see it. Everything else looking like or better than stock though, IMO.

This side of the wiring in the engine bay feels so much more manageable now. I'm getting close to everything being there for a reason, and actually being able to see what's there instead of the mass of tangled chopped wires that was there yesterday.

Wiring homework if anyone wants something to research.. (MikkiJayne - any chance of copies of the front harnesses diagrams please?) There's a few cutoff connectors near the battery tray area that I suspect are for things like the windshield washer pump etc, but I'm not sure. For starters, the wires are:

Next to vehicle speed sender.. reverse switch?
      Black/Red - ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)
      Black/Blue - ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)

Next to battery.. washer spray?
      Brown/Blue ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)
      Green/Red ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)

At some point I'll post my wiring notes, as i've probably spend half a day working all of it out and have about 20 pages of notes and diagrams at this point (including the Jetta TDI stuff that was a complete waste of time, before I had the SDI diagrams).

Shopping list for the next day or two:

Turbo oil line + banjo fitting - can't finalise engine install without it.
      Coolant flange for side of head. 1.8T Golf/Jetta. On backorder currently.
      Coolant lines.. probably have them sitting around, if not, walk storeroom aisles of Advaned Autos with templates to find off the shelf match.
      vehicle speed sensor connector + wiring pigtails (if can't find in boxes).
      4-6ga crimp connection for ground wire.
      Universal / ebay intercooler piping. 2.25" or 2.5" aluminum.
      Ebay intercooler (as short as possible) to mock up. Have a stock sidemount, but limited space so want the option.
      Same aluminum pipe to use for intake, and same size cone filter. (No room to run stock airbox.)

Last weeks goal was to have the engine at least mock bolted in. Got that done, along with the suspension, brakes and door card etc, thanks to two long Saturdays with friends helping and steady work the rest of the time. To stay on target of driving the car 200 miles about 16 days from now, I think I've got to have the wiring, cooling, vacuum and turbo lines run this week. That will leave me at a position to be able to finalize bolting in the engine next weekend, and being able to read the codes on the engine etc via Vagcom. Then the boost lines etc can be run after that, along with axles and the remaining issues with the fuellines that I'll go into when I upload yesterdays photos.
      Last edited by the brit; 09-06-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLX, 99 Cabrio, 03 Sierra SLE, 90 XT600, 84 ATC200X, 78 CB750F, 66 S90
      09-06-2010 07:19 AM #115
      call napa and see if they have the flange. i know my store stocks a few different vw flanges.

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 07:32 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      Next to vehicle speed sender.. reverse switch?
      Black/Red - ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)
      Black/Blue - ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)

Next to battery.. washer spray?
      Brown/Blue ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)
      Green/Red ~0.5 / 1.0ga (?)
      Those are correct... those are the colors every other VW uses

For the washer, make sure you connect them in the correct polarity becuase the pump includes a one-way valve so when it is spun the opposite way, the rear washer can work. If you wash the windshield and the rear washer jets, just reverse them

I was referring to swaps in Polos, maybe there is a reference out there you can use.
      Last edited by VDub2625; 09-06-2010 at 09:12 AM.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 08:46 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by duke774 View Post
      Later they got 1.6 100hp, not sure about TDIs.

So not a performance car The 75hp engine was pretty usable actually
      The 90 and 110hp TDIs were fitted to the Sedan and Variant, but not to the hatch.

the 1.6 75HP engine is great - I have one in a mk2 and its as quick as an 8V GTI because of its 100 torques and light weight The small-block engines and gearboxes probably weigh a good 75+ pounds less than the big-block ones.

Front harness diagrams coming right up....
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 09:01 AM #118
      Ok diagrams:

This one should cover pretty much everything at the front, plus a load of interior stuff and all the lighting:
      Polo Variant Basic Equipment

I just noticed that the ABS unit on those has an electronic diff lock like the Corrado VR6
      ABS with EDL

Lmk if you need any more

Oh, and here's the immobilizer diagram too:
      Immobilizer
      I know you won't be using that, but it shows you what's what so you can remove the unnecessary wiring, ecu, and fuse
      Last edited by MikkiJayne; 09-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-06-2010 10:38 AM #119
      Awesome, thank you so much for the wiring diagrams!

You're right that it has the EDL on the ABS. I'm still a little surprised that it's so self-contained and doesn't appear to have a connection to the ECU. I guess I was expecting it to communicate through and receive coding via the ECU and that was how it will be able to communicate with the VAGCOM etc. I guess that's what T2 and TV14 might be for

I've found one or two threads on swapping 1.8Ts in Seat Cordobas but most of the researching i've been doing has been on the vortex for mk1/2/3 Golf/Jetta swaps. Everything either crosses over or is pretty standard in a VW sort of way. The radiator etc is more trial by error, but it's worked... so far.

I'm surprised that I haven't found someone who's written out the complete pin-outs for the AEB wiring. 'Boostin20v' had a PDF previously, but it appears to have been lost online and the wiring labelled as being AEB on his website doesn't seem to match mine. On this thread vdubspeed states that all that's needed is:

Okay...for ANYONE using an AEB engine/engine managment...here is all you need to know. The wires I mention are from the AEB ECU.

1. Solid red - Hot 12V. NOT SWITCHED. This is the ECU's memory
      2. Green/Yellow - Switched 12V. 10amp. Provide power for the injectors
      3. Black/Blue - Switched 12V. 20amp. Terminal 15(when you turn the key on)
      4. Red/Green - Switched 12V from the fuel pump relay. I just gave it switched 12V
      5. Red/Blue - this went to pin 86 on the fuel pump relay. This gives the ECU control of the fuel pump relay - this provides the relay with a GROUND signal.
      6. K-wire to pull fault codes.
      which sounds very similar to the How-To I made for wiring in a OBD1 ABA swap using 5 wires, although it's not ideal for me, as I want to keep it all as full and neat as possible by swapping over the pins if applicable and keep all the sensors etc working fully.

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 11:38 AM #120
      Does the Polo have CE2? Just curious... you don't usually need more than 5-6 wires anyway. ABS dosen't talk to the ECU... it does connect to the K line as you mentioned though, for VAG-COM
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 11:53 AM #121
      I'm surprised that I haven't found someone who's written out the complete pin-outs for the AEB wiring. 'Boostin20v' had a PDF previously, but it appears to have been lost online and the wiring labelled as being AEB on his website doesn't seem to match mine.
      Mm I thought there were plenty of sources for that

If you can tell me what your AEB harness came from (or find the part number on the white sticker at the ECU end) then I should be able to find the specific diagrams for it, although there are sometimes detail differences between Euro and US models such as the immobilizer and emissions gubbins.

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-06-2010 12:51 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
      Mm I thought there were plenty of sources for that

If you can tell me what your AEB harness came from (or find the part number on the white sticker at the ECU end) then I should be able to find the specific diagrams for it, although there are sometimes detail differences between Euro and US models such as the immobilizer and emissions gubbins.
      So did I, but none are complete, correct, or still available (I think that PDF might have had it but I can't find it now - the link has gone dead).

I have the full wiring diagrams in the B5 Passat Bentley manual, but it's proving to be a PITA as I don't need the ECU in/outputs, just a match of what the wiring that connects to the car is - there's 5 connectors that go into a small panel on the top of the firewall on the passat. If I sit down long enough with the manual, i'll be able to trace them but it was annoying when I used the 1.8T FAQ AEB Wiring notes, and discovered that 50% of the wires didn't match at all Here's notes on the exact wiring that I have from the engine harness to the car:

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-06-2010 01:29 PM #123
      A little out of order, but here's Bens photos from Saturday A lot of progress was made!

This is the top of the fuel tank, with a great deposit of the fine dust or dirt that we've talked about before. I think I described it as toner ink, but I think we've settled on describing as foundation makeup

Being geeks, we kept some of it. If you're coming to H2O, you can have some genuine Greenland Polo dirt!

Ben vacuumed it:

Clean:

We got stuck with putting the turbo on as the Passat oil and water lines don't fit on the Jetta/Golf style turbo and mainfold.

On to important fuel stuff!

This is the Polo diesel fuel pickup and gauge level sender:

And the spotless diesel fuel tank. It was written and signed off by someone with a very scandinavian sounding name that they had drained the fuel tank, but I didn't believe it based on how they removed the engine and removed all signs etc on the car! We really should envoke the power of TCL and trying finding him on facebook or something.

So, with the engine install halted because of not being able to install the turbo and run the lines, we headed off to the local junkyard to do some cross referencing in real life.

First up was a mk4 Jetta 1.8T and 2.0 8v - both had the wider style fuel pump, so no good.

Next up was a mk3 Jetta 2.0 8v.. also too big:

Next was the final choice, a mk2 Jetta 1.8 8v with Digi fuel injection, and a previous owner who liked Light Hawaiian Punch:

Looks like a match:

It is a match! Polo ring next to the mk2 ring:

This is the intank fuel pump and gauge sender. Surprisingly clean actually.

Now, I'll just go ahead and say it, I hate the stupid two pump setup that CIS cars and Digi mk2s etc use. It's overly complicated (still really simple, but just twice as much work), expensive to replace pumps etc etc. But we were there, and the car had the complete system so I removed the external pump and the fuel lines running all the way to the front of the car too, just in case I do need to replace the small blue return line or anything else.

Bonus points for anyone who can find the previous owner of the car on the vortex. It was either bedlinered or it was chalkboard painted by the looks of it, so they've got to be on there

Took the (rusty) mounting bracket too, just in case the Polo has the same mounting points..

No photos but...

The intank pump bolted right up. 100% success. However.. BIG PROBLEM. The Polo doesn't have the same external pump bolts.. or anywhere to install one at all. The recess in the body is completly filled by the tank. There's room on the other side of rear trailer arm, but that's in the wrong direction and with the car lowered there's going to very little room for the lines to run. Any pump installed towards the engine is going to be the lowest point on the car under the body, which is a no go.

So, I guess I either need to find a suitable intank pump that can supply the complete pressure needs for the system or else work out some way to have a small pump and housing (VW two pump system pump is small enough) tucked up enough right beside the tank, and then install a fuel filter in the engine bay somewhere. Damn, it's annoying that there isn't a spot on the Polo but I guess it's just one of the fun challenges to work around. There's no time for me to get a Polo petrol tank and pump setup sent over at this point, so on to Plan B (whatever that may be).

With the rest of the day, we got the clutch installed, the transmission bolted up, the engine mount brackets installed and placed the engine in the bay with the bolts hand tight, to make sure that everything fits correctly and it wasn't going to foul the ABS pump or anything else. As you've seen from the engine bay photo, it fitted just fine (so far!).

Really exciting clutch photo

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 01:48 PM #124
      You might need to get a gas Polo tank, with the pump. The filler neck on a diesel is different too isn't it? You have connections

It'll be interesting to know if the gas Polo has a small tank holder with the pump (all single intank pump cars I know of have the big ring, ie VR passat, Corrado, and all Mk3s).
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 01:50 PM #125
      there's 5 connectors that go into a small panel on the top of the firewall on the passat. If I sit down long enough with the manual, i'll be able to trace them but it was annoying when I used the 1.8T FAQ AEB Wiring notes, and discovered that 50% of the wires didn't match at all
      Exactly what I had to do with my A6 swapping from a 2.5 TDI to a 1.9. Its annoying, but necessary.

I went through the diagram and marked off each pin on each connector one at a time and transferred them to a spreadsheet with location, function, and colour. I then compared the spreadsheet to the actual harness and labelled each wire. Tracking down the 'spare' wires was the hardest bit, as they can be randomly spread around all the other diagrams - basic equipment, air con, etc.

I'll have a look on Etka and see if I can see what the petrol Polo Variants used for a fuel pump. Maybe we'll be able to track one down from something else, or find a cheap one on ebay

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      09-06-2010 01:55 PM #126
      Walbro 255 time?
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 02:00 PM #127
      Huh just for comedy value the petrol versions have a different tank that uses the mk3 pump and larger opening Thats not going to be easy to fix with a off-the-shelf solution...

They do have a fuel filter under the floor like the mk3 though, so maybe there is space there to put said Walbro ^ ?

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLX, 99 Cabrio, 03 Sierra SLE, 90 XT600, 84 ATC200X, 78 CB750F, 66 S90
      09-06-2010 02:04 PM #128
      why couldnt you slap a walbro intake pump on that hanger? just use it as a single pump?

steve

Vehicles
      '11 Kia Optima LX, '09 Mazda5 GT
      09-06-2010 02:30 PM #129
      I'm loving this thread! Nice work.
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge
      Yeah I wouldn't blow 3" either.

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      09-06-2010 02:39 PM #130
      Love me some build threads! Especially ones that move fast. Keep up the updates and can't wait to see it finished!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

09-06-2010 03:34 PM #131
      Fascinating thread all the way through.

-GP

27. 09-06-2010 05:17 PM #132
      hi, nice project. i'm from Finland. We have plenty of those polos, also we have tdis. Its very good choice 1,8t. Its unique car there, but with that engine and as been stw model its will be unique car in the whole world.

I bet in europe they have make some similar swap, but only for hatchback and sedan not to stw modell. Thats make it very unique combination whole globe. Hopely we see soon this running.

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-06-2010 08:27 PM #133
      You might need to get a gas Polo tank, with the pump. The filler neck on a diesel is different too isn't it? You have connections
      I can get a european petrol tank easily enough, but cannot get it shipped here quick enough for a reasonable cost. Plus, shipping a used gas tank might be kinda interesting, and even more so if I had someone bring it on a plane

Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      Walbro 255 time?
      Quote Originally Posted by vanaman View Post
      why couldnt you slap a walbro intake pump on that hanger? just use it as a single pump?
      I think the single more powerful intank pump is a good idea, however i've heard of fuel starvation issues with them that requires a surge tank to work around. With the limited space this is a issue. I wonder if anyone has fitted the walbros to the stock pickup setup, thereby eliminating that issue?

I also wonder if I could get away with a second fuel pump in the engine bay to increase the pressure, and if the stock in tank would be enough to supply the fuel to it..

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
      Huh just for comedy value the petrol versions have a different tank that uses the mk3 pump and larger opening Thats not going to be easy to fix with a off-the-shelf solution...

They do have a fuel filter under the floor like the mk3 though, so maybe there is space there to put said Walbro ^ ?
      I suspected that might be the case. I also suspect that the fuel tank might be a slightly different shape or smaller size so that it leaves room for the filter and bracket etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      I'm loving this thread! Nice work.
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      Love me some build threads! Especially ones that move fast. Keep up the updates and can't wait to see it finished!
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Panzer View Post
      Fascinating thread all the way through.
      Quote Originally Posted by jarnok View Post
      hi, nice project. i'm from Finland. We have plenty of those polos, also we have tdis. Its very good choice 1,8t. Its unique car there, but with that engine and as been stw model its will be unique car in the whole world. I bet in europe they have make some similar swap, but only for hatchback and sedan not to stw modell. Thats make it very unique combination whole globe. Hopely we see soon this running.
      Thanks everyone. I'm having fun with the car and speed it's coming together. I'm trying to keep it fairly simple, and not too much of a show car build - just enjoying the cross referencing and the unusualness, and having TCL and friends helping out

Next TCL challenge

I'm looking for aluminum intercooler piping, a bunch of bends etc. The 2.5" diameter is all over ebay for about $90 shipped for about 8' with a bunch of junk connectors and fittings. Seriously, there's hundreds of listing for the same junk stuff. Like this one. But.. i'm looking for the same setup, but with 2.0" diameter piping, like this one, BUT, with red connectors instead. It seems like it doesn't exist, and searching for "2.0 intercooler" brings up every 2.5" kit too. I'd prefer 2mm thick pipes in case I have time to get it welded (I only have a MIG with steel wire/gas here), but I won't be choosey about that..

And to answer / discuss this choice, I think running stock Golf / Jetta boost tubes isn't going to match up magically, so I'm going to ditch the pancake tube etc and run 2" wide pipes instead. This way I can hopefully get it all to fit (which will be easier with the 2" instead of 2.5") and by avoiding the bigger 2.5" pipes the stock turbo might not be affected so much by lag or a pressure drop. Open to ideas though, but I've got to get this moving soon!

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 08:29 PM #134
      Question... why can't you just use an aftermarket pump in the bay or somewhere else, and use the diesel lines and pickup to feed it?
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      09-06-2010 08:48 PM #135
      Question... why can't you just use an aftermarket pump in the bay or somewhere else, and use the diesel lines and pickup to feed it?
      I asked the same question above

I wonder if the intank can supply fuel that far (probably). I've seen people mount them in mk4 engine bays to increase the pressure for big turbo setups, so they must be okay with it.

I do have a *little* room next to the tank to get creative with, and could possibly have a pump and filter in line under there, with a little custom made cover to protect them.

Vehicles
      20th GTI, B3000 4x4, 06 Night Rod
      09-06-2010 08:54 PM #136
      I support this thread and Pottstown
      Last edited by bizybyker; 09-06-2010 at 08:58 PM.
      You Won't do it...

32. 09-06-2010 09:22 PM #137
      Yuengling is from Pottsville.

Vehicles
      20th GTI, B3000 4x4, 06 Night Rod
      09-06-2010 09:26 PM #138
      When in rome...
      You Won't do it...

34. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      C123
      09-06-2010 09:32 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by bizybyker View Post
      When in rome...
      ...talk about Milan?
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

Vehicles
      09-06-2010 10:05 PM #140
      Oops, i assumed the diesel didn't have a pickup like the older ones. They started with pickups in the Mk3 TDis right? if there is a pickup pump in that diesel tank i don't see why you'd have a problem!
      A2Resource

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast