Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Borla on Adam Carolla's Carcast with his R32

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-07-2010 10:43 AM #1
      Adam and Sandy have interesting discussion on aftermarket exhausts with David Borla on Carcast.

Borla Exhausts

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit GTI
      08-07-2010 11:47 AM #2
      Good clip. I have had the Borla cat-back for about four years now and still love it. Fit and finish is great. I added the Milltek hi-flow cats about six weeks ago and the sound got just a bit louder with a bit more growl.

Scott

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit - 02/04 .:R32 Jetta wagon - 04 .:R32 - E30 325i & Alfa GTV6 Chumpcar Racecars
      08-07-2010 12:19 PM #3
      cool to be there showing off the car and exhaust, but he didnt know few facts (obvious facts) of the car.
      the top 3:
      is it a transverse engine ? ... his face
      how all wheel drive works in this car? .... his face
      he is the exhaust guy and sounds like he didnt know a flapper valve does come in this car not only audis .....
      \

stock its not a quiet exhaust once the flappers open in my opinion but that is bebatable.

08-07-2010 12:54 PM #4
      WTF.. his strut bearings are shot, his seat is missing the handle, stock airbox, no grill badge.

I bet the suspension is still stock at 170k.. Uggh. This guy is a car guy?

And yea.. he doesn't know about the flapper?

"I bet it didn't sound like this stock and the sound is all because of the Borla" - "Yea, it was real quiet"..
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Civic Si
      08-07-2010 01:00 PM #5
      ^^^Not to mention he can't even keep his headlights clean?

I've had and enjoyed Borla exhausts on cars in the past, but I just seriously lost some respect for that man and that company.
      STEELERS, PENGUINS and PIRATES here we go BLACK 'n' GOLD

6. 08-07-2010 01:53 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by $3000dreamcar View Post
      ^^^Not to mention he can't even keep his headlights clean?

I've had and enjoyed Borla exhausts on cars in the past, but I just seriously lost some respect for that man and that company.
      No kidding, what a complete embarrassment this was to Borla. He knows nothing about his DD that has 170 on the clock? And what's with the tall guy? Foul language, no knowledge and disrespects the car by saying that these are what people who can't afford Audi's buy? Plus we have to listen to five minutes of crap where he badmouths almost everyone else? Typical BS attitude from some rich DB9 driving douche. Complete FAIL if ever I have seen one, geezus. David, thank you for allowing me to add yet another company to my "don't buy from" list.

Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2004 R32, 2008 Q7
      08-07-2010 04:29 PM #7
      Wow, what a bunch of morons. "It has a 3.2L engine from Audi". I guess VW never used a 3.2L engine before. I was thinking this was a car show like Top Gear. Pathetic!
      Das PITA!

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      08-07-2010 04:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BlownR View Post
      No kidding, what a complete embarrassment this was to Borla. He knows nothing about his DD that has 170 on the clock? And what's with the tall guy? Foul language, no knowledge and disrespects the car by saying that these are what people who can't afford Audi's buy?
      He's the ex host of "The Man Show", I'm surprised we didn't see girls jumping on trampolines at the end.

Regardless, Borla is an idiot.

Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2004 R32, 2008 Q7
      08-07-2010 04:57 PM #9
      Girls on trampolines might have saved this segment. Maybe, just maybe. lol
      Das PITA!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      08-07-2010 05:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      ..."I bet it didn't sound like this stock and the sound is all because of the Borla" - "Yea, it was real quiet"..
      David Borla KNOWS all about the stock exhaust. Does anyone remember any of his posts in this forum when he was designing the Borla R32 exhaust? There was much discussion about the flapper.

Keep in mind that he is in the business of selling exhausts.
      It doesn't do him any good to say that the OEM exhaust is great.

Also keep in mind that the two a-holes he's talking to are not "Car Guys"(although they probably think they are), and they wouldn't understand any of the finer points of the R32 exhaust anyway.

All that stuff about the quiet exhaust, and 'engine from an Audi' is stuff that David Borla knows the truth about, but probably didn't think it was worth the hassle of trying to educate those two idiots.
      Granted, he came off looking like a mook too, but trust me, he knows the real answers.

^^^Not to mention he can't even keep his headlights clean? ...
      They're not dirty, they're UV damaged. Those headlight lenses need to be sanded, compounded, and sealed.

Once again, do not get all worked-up about this. It just isn't worth it. Adam Corolla and that other schmuck have no business talking cars with anyone, and even less reason to air this nonsense. And it also seems that they are the kind of people that need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves.

--Chuck--

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit - 02/04 .:R32 Jetta wagon - 04 .:R32 - E30 325i & Alfa GTV6 Chumpcar Racecars
      08-07-2010 05:24 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by speedbump2 View Post
      David Borla KNOWS all about the stock exhaust. Does anyone remember any of his posts in this forum when he was designing the Borla R32 exhaust? There was much discussion about the flapper.

Keep in mind that he is in the business of selling exhausts.
      It doesn't do him any good to say that the OEM exhaust is great.

Also keep in mind that the two a-holes he's talking to are not "Car Guys"(although they probably think they are), and they wouldn't understand any of the finer points of the R32 exhaust anyway.

All that stuff about the quiet exhaust, and 'engine from an Audi' is stuff that David Borla knows the truth about, but probably didn't think it was worth the hassle of trying to educate those two idiots.
      Granted, he came off looking like a mook too, but trust me, he knows the real answers.

They're not dirty, they're UV damaged. Those headlight lenses need to be sanded, compounded, and sealed.

Once again, do not get all worked-up about this. It just isn't worth it. Adam Corolla and that other schmuck have no business talking cars with anyone, and even less reason to air this nonsense. And it also seems that they are the kind of people that need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves.

--Chuck--
      he said the R had a longitudinal engine period that sums it up ......

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Civic Si
      08-07-2010 08:14 PM #12
      I don't care if they're physically "dirt"-y or "uv damaged," they are f-in' dirty! The headlights on the R32 I just sold have never been sanded, compounded and sealed and they are as crystal clear as brand new because the previous owner and I both cleaned the car, including the lights, once a week. Simple as that. There is simply no excuse for the head of a semi-major automotive company to neglect his car like that. The engine bay is absolutely filthy! You'd think he'd at least pay someone else to detail it before he took it on TV.

You seem to have an affinity for the man, Chuck. Obviously he has some clue what he's doing or we never would have heard of Borla before, but this clip does not represent him well. Most of us criticizing him and the video aren't just "putting others down to feel good about ourselves," we are simply consumers voicing our opinions about a free market company and it's public representation by its owner.

I'm sure he's smarter and more knowledgeable than he came off in that video. Maybe he's high. Certainly looks it in the picture in the OP

Vehicles
      07 Silverado, 2012 Forestor
      08-07-2010 08:42 PM #13
      I watched twice and waited for a while to post. Without reading other posts I think it was like watching some ricers being paid to like the R, but they sucked at it.

I;ve never thought Corolla had a good thing to say I needed to hear.

It was really horrid to watch, almost funny the second time. None of them knew crap about the vehicle. It was like they had prepared for 1 min before they rolled the camera.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      08-07-2010 09:49 PM #14
      ...You seem to have an affinity for the man, Chuck. Obviously he has some clue what he's doing or we never would have heard of Borla before, but this clip does not represent him well...
      The Borla company has been making performance exhaust systems since the late '60s. I have no love for David Borla, but do have the greatest respect for the quality work his family's company has been cranking out for the last forty years.
      Because of that respect, and the fact that David sought out the advice of this forum when he ws developing the R32 exhaust; I think we can all cut him some slack, even though he comes off as a clueless tool in this video.

I don't care if they're physically "dirt"-y or "uv damaged," they are f-in' dirty! The headlights on the R32 I just sold have never been sanded, compounded and sealed and they are as crystal clear as brand new because the previous owner and I both cleaned the car, including the lights, once a week. Simple as that...
      You can't clean UV damage. My car sits outside 24/7. My passenger side headlight is starting to show UV damage. The driver's side was replaced two years ago and is not showing UV damage.
      Maybe Borla's car sits outside in the parking lot of his office every day.

...Most of us criticizing him and the video aren't just "putting others down to feel good about ourselves,"...
      Please re-read my statement below. I was talking about Adam Corolla and his sidekick, not the people in this forum.

...Adam Corolla and that other schmuck have no business talking cars with anyone, and even less reason to air this nonsense. And it also seems that they are the kind of people that need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves...
      --Chuck--

Vehicles
      Miata, Miata
      08-08-2010 12:41 AM #15
      Speedbump2, The Layer of the Law... or Speedbump2 saves the day once again with knowledge

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Civic Si
      08-08-2010 01:13 AM #16
      UV damage or not, he still took a car that's not well kept on an interview about the car and his product. Not the best idea.

Adam Corolla and that other schmuck have no business talking cars with anyone, and even less reason to air this nonsense. And it also seems that they are the kind of people that need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves.
      Sounds like you're putting others down, too...

I could do without the guy in the orange hat and his damn jc whitney exhaust, but I kind of enjoy Adam Corolla and his dry humor(you guys realize that the Audi and diesel comments are most likely jokes, right?).

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-08-2010 09:45 AM #17

--Chuck--
      With all due respect, Adam Carolla and Sandy Ganz are "car guys" in the truest sense. They try to do a little bit of humor with the show and have fun with it. Adam is big time into restoring older italian cars and does vintage racing in his Bob Sharp 610 Datsun. His daily driver is a leased S4. Sandy builds very fast cars of different sorts mostly American and is very respected in and around the Mustang/shelby community.

Nick Saran from VF engineering was on a few weeks ago on the same show with his S/C R8 and they did the same kind of schtick.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...lla-s-CarCast.

Vehicles
      WAY too many and counting...
      08-08-2010 10:53 AM #18
      Oh yeah, they're "true" car guys. Like 90% of the general "car guy" label they don't know sh:t. I'm not sure there was one bit of material out of that total waste of 10 minutes that was even remotely close to being accurate, from ANY of them.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-08-2010 11:27 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Lil red roket View Post
      Oh yeah, they're "true" car guys. Like 90% of the general "car guy" label they don't know sh:t. I'm not sure there was one bit of material out of that total waste of 10 minutes that was even remotely close to being accurate, from ANY of them.

It's called sarcasm, humor, of which I can now see that it's lost on a few of us. But here you go:

This is his office for the love of the baby Jesus on Sunday!

You guys remember Nick from VF Engineering? Didn't he sponser this forum not too long ago?

He was the host of American version of Top Gear with Tanner Foust. (didn't get picked up by the network)

It's really almost like saying Jay Leno isn't a car guy.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-08-2010 11:56 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by gringoloco2000 View Post
      Wow, what a bunch of morons. "It has a 3.2L engine from Audi". I guess VW never used a 3.2L engine before. I was thinking this was a car show like Top Gear. Pathetic!

I agree this is an oversight for sure, pathetic though? Maybe...but really the 3.2L engine was first introduced on the Beetle RSi as the first production car with the 3.2L VR6, however that same year it was used in the Audi TT and A3 as a top line option. Most people who watch carcast won't know what a Beetle RSi is, but they might know Audi, hence the Audi reference to sort of hint at the "speciality" of the car.

Either way everybody there liked the R32 David brought, made some jokes and even though filthy dirty the R32 got some good praise.

Vehicles
      tred r33t
      08-08-2010 02:43 PM #21
      that was honestly hard to watch. I enjoyed hearing them talk about how crappy the r must have sounded from the factory... i have a res delete and the flapper mod and i love the way this thing sounds, and ide compare it to what the borla sounded like in the video...possibly better.
      WunderWagens June 10,2012 in Gilbert, PA... 2nd year http://www.wunderwagens-show.com
      UnitedMotorsport r32 cam flash... get one
      My Turbo .:R Build Thread
      WunderWagens Vortex Forum
      WunderWagens Facebook

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      08-08-2010 03:48 PM #22
      Lol at the people in this thread saying Adam Carolla isn't a car guy
      Flickr™
      DubCult.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-09-2010 03:30 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      Lol at the people in this thread saying Adam Carolla isn't a car guy
      I'm a little surprised frankly that this group missed the humor part of it. The glass is half empty in this forum I guess.

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-09-2010 04:17 PM #24
      Adam Carolla was just being funny, you can't expect him to know everything about an obscure Golf model, just because we all know what it is can half of you tell me every detail about a Camaro or even an S4 for that matter? If you're an owner you know every intricacy, I don't expect Carolla to, Borla on the other hand seems like a dip****, it seems like Carolla was expecting Borla to tell him all about the car and know all of those intricacies that owners know, but he doesn't.
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      08-09-2010 04:19 PM #25
      silly!

26. 08-09-2010 04:44 PM #26
      Tough crowd! Thanks for the feedback guys! Cheers!

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      08-09-2010 06:38 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
      I'm a little surprised frankly that this group missed the humor part of it. The glass is half empty in this forum I guess.
      NOW it is... gimme a time machine and this video is a hit here.
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-09-2010 06:49 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by M00NEY View Post
      NOW it is... gimme a time machine and this video is a hit here.

When did everybody turn into Boston Eric?

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      08-09-2010 07:22 PM #29
      LOL!!
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

Vehicles
      07 VW Rabbit
      08-10-2010 06:33 AM #30
      I think this thread just hit epic status

Vehicles
      WAY too many and counting...
      08-10-2010 06:26 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by impreza_punk View Post
      I think this thread just hit epic status
      There's a word that should be banned from the English language. For the love of anything sacred choose a NEW hip word already!!!!

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-10-2010 07:06 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Lil red roket View Post
      There's a word that should be banned from the English language. For the love of anything sacred choose a NEW hip word already!!!!
      Damn son your anger level is epic!
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      08-10-2010 07:11 PM #33
      So many panties in a bunch up in here. Nothing but a bunch of whiny R32 owners...
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

34. 08-10-2010 07:59 PM #34
      That clip reminded me of that sex show with Dr Drew or whatever that Adam Carolla used to be on. He never has anything informative to add. Just these little pointless anecdotes of his that he throws in that seem to amuse himself more than anyone else. He's a douchebag.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      08-11-2010 01:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by heffe80 View Post
      That clip reminded me of that sex show with Dr Drew or whatever that Adam Carolla used to be on. He never has anything informative to add. Just these little pointless anecdotes of his that he throws in that seem to amuse himself more than anyone else. He's a douchebag.

Awesome comment! You know what they say "Takes one to know..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast