Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Low Beams are not working

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Which one? 93/95 Miata, 87/88 RX7's, 95 Corvette, 06 Dodge Dually Diesel, 02 Mustang, 00 Jetta TDI
      08-11-2010 08:36 AM #1
      88 VW cabriolet, low beams do not come on. High beams work and brings on both highs on the large as well as the 2 inside lights. Just the low beams. Side markers all working and fuses are ok.

Would this be a headlight switch issue? I have a relay kit, plugged in the original plug to the lights, still no joy.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      08-11-2010 10:03 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Immerlinks View Post
      88 VW cabriolet, low beams do not come on. High beams work and brings on both highs on the large as well as the 2 inside lights. Just the low beams. Side markers all working and fuses are ok.

Would this be a headlight switch issue? I have a relay kit, plugged in the original plug to the lights, still no joy.
      Do the high beams stay on when the dimmer stalk is released? Are wiper and HVAC fan operations normal?
      ---
      Outer lamps are both high and low, inners are high only.
      There are 4 headlight fuses total, individuals for high, low and each side, see
      http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical_system.htm#Fuse

Park/tails are powered separately from heads.
      Need more clues from you to answer definitively about the headlight switch, clues you've posted so far point away from the headlight switch, see my questions to you above, answer those for a better answer.
      vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-11-2010 10:40 AM #3
      I agree with Ron save for two questions.

Is the Key in the ignition, and turned on when you are testing it, as the lows only work when the key is on But the highs will flash with no key in.

Have you jumpered the Low beam to the battery direct to eliminate that the bulb is good? As the low and high/low outer are separate filaments.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Which one? 93/95 Miata, 87/88 RX7's, 95 Corvette, 06 Dodge Dually Diesel, 02 Mustang, 00 Jetta TDI
      08-11-2010 11:46 AM #4
      I appreciate the time for the replies that you guys took.

The answer to the questions is that the car was on when I tried the lights. In other words, motor was running. The stalk was flipped to the high beams and released, meaning, high beams were on, not just flash to pass. When the stalk was flipped back to low beams, the lights all went off outside of the marker lights. As I said, fuses 21/22 are ok, whichever were the low beam fuses. (If they were blown, I'd want to know why, but they are good.)

I don't know if the heater/AC/wiper functions are working. That is, the car is home and I'm on a trip.
      If those functions are not working...what is that an indication of?

I have H4 bulbs in there, but they are dual filament as you know. I would be surprised if both filaments went out, but not shocked. Weirder things have happened.

(Leading me to another question...the vents blow hot air all the time. Annoying in the summer. Is there a flapper door stuck? It doesn't matter where the HVAC functions are. Naturally, the charge on the AC is gone. )

Ralf

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-12-2010 08:37 AM #5
      So nothing other than checking the bulbs? The switch is not at fault? Or could it even be the high beam stalk on the steering wheel? That would be a real pain...

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-12-2010 12:24 PM #6
      The Stalk don't effect the low's.

I would use a meter on the Bulbs to see if you are getting power on Low to them.
      The low should be the yellow wire.

Start there and go backwards.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-12-2010 06:37 PM #7
      OK, thank you!!

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      08-13-2010 10:38 AM #8
      Fuses that look good but aren't have fooled many before, I suggest you swap high beam fuses for low just to be sure. High beam fuses are 9 and 10, lows are 21 and 22. I agree with you, it would be odd for two headlight fuses to be blown at the same time, the reason should indeed be found, most likely would be some recent creative diagnosis.

Two remaining possibilities are the stalk switch and the beams themselves. I'd test for voltage at the beams with a test light or DVOM, maybe just plug in a new sealed beam.

The wiper/HVAC question was aiming at "X" circuit diagnosis, that the high beams work normally answers the "X" questions and confirms good circuits through the ignition switch and headlight switch to the dimmer stalk switch, assuming no creative re-wiring.
      ---
      A bit of obscure trivia about a normal VW quirk through many years of production, try this;
      Key in your pocket, switch on headlights, wipers and HVAC fan. Every other pull and hold of the dimmer stalk should result in wiper and HVAC fan operation. The condition is normal and should happen, tracing why on the schematics is an informative exercise, also sometimes helpful pinpointing "X" and headlight circuit issues.
      vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+