Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misfire when warm under acceleration; intermittent issue Fox needs help

1. 05-05-2012 10:37 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Beetle.freak View Post
      Idk ? Ya got me. You say you've checked the CTS for resistance and operating corectly ? You don't have another air box top with MAF layin around do ya ? Is the 4 wire 02 wired up right and or good connections also MAF connections ???
      I have tried 2 VAM (vain air flow meters) or air box tops with no luck; issue remained. The factory 3 wire 02 sensor was replaced about 2,000 miles ago with a Bosch replacement, and unfortunately still no change. It is correctly wired; red/white wire (heater power) is on one white wire, ground is on other, and the third wire (black) is connected to the shielded signal wire directly to the ECU. (the forth wire is harness side, and a ground for the signal wire shielding bolted to intake manifold)

Thanks Reddfoxx!!! Got the ECUs today, super fat shipping. Thanks for packing them well, as it looked like USPS played a soccer game with the box before it arrived. No physical damage though. I pulled my ecu (car is a 1993) and this ecu corresponded in numbers with the ecu from 1991 you had provided me. Taking another look at the ecu that I removed, it was made in 1991 as well. It could have been a leftover, but I am guessing it is more likely that the ecu was changed before I got the car 6 years ago.

I installed the ecu prior to starting the car and unfortunately I still had the misfire. A light misfire that began roughly 30 sec after starting the car, and lasted roughly 30 sec before smoothing out to normal. I shut the car down, and installed the 1993 ecu you sent (diffrent part number)… I will see in the am if the issue persists. If it does, at the very worst I have an extra couple ecu as back up. If you need them, I will happily send them back, if not I would like to pay it forward if its ok with you, and offer one of them up (just for the cost of shipping) If a foxer is ever in need.

We will see how this goes. Does anyone have access to, or know of any technical manuals that discuss digi in DEEP detail? Looking for something far more informational than what is found in the Fox bently. I would love to learn exactly how this system works, all the details, and all the ins and outs. I have a good working knowledge, but a complete understanding would help a lot.
      Last edited by oRANGEJULIUS; 05-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Vehicles
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, 2014 Cruze
      05-06-2012 11:29 AM #27
      Darn it. Yeah, the ECU numbers are slightly different, but I bet they're interchangeable. Let me know. I don't need them back- both my cars are CIS- so please pass them on to people who can use them.
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

3. 05-06-2012 10:41 PM #28
      1993 ecu installed, still have a misfire. I think what I need now is all the technical information I can get my hands on in regards to digi… I want to solve this.

Vehicles
      1989 vw fox gl turbo, Holset hx35w on meth:)new project 1968 bug and o 86 gti
      05-07-2012 11:58 AM #29
      yeah you got me i don't know nothing about diji. but im an expert at cis-e units good luck to the troubleshooting
      Last edited by vwturbofox; 05-09-2012 at 11:42 AM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1965 Beetle, 1987 Triple White, 1988 cabriolet, 1993 2dr Fox gl, 1999 Jetta GL
      05-07-2012 03:43 PM #30
      Usually when a Digi ECU (not 100% sure of Fox Digi though) goes you have a massive flooding issue ?

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      05-07-2012 04:15 PM #31
      Sorry if I missed it:

Have you tried replacing the complete CTS harness?

7. 05-07-2012 05:29 PM #32
      No problem; cts Circut has been changed along with the rest of the digi harness. In other news I am currently broke down on the side of the road as my passenger side axle outer cv joint decided it dident like being attached to the shaft any more. Great. Even better I found a parts store that had a fox axle in stock (1 hr away) had a friend pick it up for me. the axle was wrong axle... And I tore down the car in antisapation of installing the new one while he was on his way. So now I put it back together and waiting for the flat bed to take me home. Ahh fox ownership. I guess it could be worse.

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      05-08-2012 11:00 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by oRANGEJULIUS View Post
      No problem; cts Circut has been changed along with the rest of the digi harness. In other news I am currently broke down on the side of the road as my passenger side axle outer cv joint decided it dident like being attached to the shaft any more. Great. Even better I found a parts store that had a fox axle in stock (1 hr away) had a friend pick it up for me. the axle was wrong axle... And I tore down the car in antisapation of installing the new one while he was on his way. So now I put it back together and waiting for the flat bed to take me home. Ahh fox ownership. I guess it could be worse.
      Same thing happened to me last week- One of the brace washers wasn't on. I ended up removing them all - blue loctite and lock washers

9. 05-08-2012 11:10 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by themagellan View Post
      Same thing happened to me last week- One of the brace washers wasn't on. I ended up removing them all - blue loctite and lock washers
      I agree with you there; I am usually a red Loctite fan on those, just for the simple fact you cant avoid small amounts of grease from the joint getting into the 6 mounting holes on the trans outdrive… so you have that going against you already. Fortunately it did not separate from the trans, rather the outer joint blew, kept the underside of the car from getting beat up to bad. Got the car back home, and 2 new axles on order, along with 2 new fuel pumps. Literally, those are the only 4 items mechanically and electrically that have not been replaced on the car within the last 6 years. Just for peace of mind its worth it. I Plan on doing a few high mileage trips this summer with the car, so the new parts along with a spare parts cache in the trunk will help ease my mind about it.

10. 05-14-2012 01:25 PM #35
      Back on the road. Strange but good information: No misfires as of late. I have been letting the car warm up and idle for about 1min prior to taking off, I figured since all my misfire issues have popped up shortly after starting the car and driving off, I would give it a little time and see what happens, so far, so good. Not a solution to the issue, but its certainly making me lean even more to this being a temperature or o2 related (sensor, or circuit) issue. This is only happening in open loop. I believe digi does not shift over to closed loop until a certain temperature is reached (detected by ect sensor) Is that correct? Anyone know the temp this happens at? Or am I off base here?

Vehicles
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, 2014 Cruze
      05-14-2012 02:44 PM #36
      I am pretty sure that's true based on early diagnostics by Jonathan on my '93's miss. Can't remember the temperature, but I remember watching on the mixture meter and seeing it go to closed loop.
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12