Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 16 of 16

    Thread: Coolant leak on Passat B5.5 1.8t

    1. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 1.8t
      08-16-2010 01:43 PM #1
      I posted this in the engine forum, but haven't heard anything.

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t+coolant+leak

      Anybody have experience with this? I have found a few DIY's for the transverse platform, but nothing for the longitudinal motor of the Passat.

    2. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 1.8t
      08-23-2010 10:11 AM #2
      Anyone?

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2009
      Location
      Rensselaer County, NY
      Posts
      41
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat 1.8T FWD
      10-19-2010 10:09 PM #3
      I'm having this issue with my b5.5 1.8t as well. There must be a leak because the level slooowly drops, but I dont see coolant leaking from anywhere.

      I also hear a sort of gurgling sound from behind the dash usually only for a minute or two just after I start the car, but I've heard that can have to do with air in the coolant system.

      This thread may be of interest: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=184416

    4. Member 18t papa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2009
      Location
      Orange County, NY
      Posts
      1,083
      Vehicles
      Stage 2 '03 Passat 1.8t, '91 Passat 16V Variant, 1977 Jawa 350
      10-19-2010 10:20 PM #4
      I HAVE THE SAME EXACT THING!! Its so weird and I have no idea what it is, any idea on a fix because my coolant leaks too and its not bad just annoying and I'd like to fix it
      Long live the SCüMWAGON!

      IG: @captain_scum

    5. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2009
      Location
      Rensselaer County, NY
      Posts
      41
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat 1.8T FWD
      10-19-2010 10:27 PM #5
      Well its nice to know someone else has the exact same problem but no sadly i havent found anything conclusive yet other than that thread which may not even relate.

      I kind of didnt worry about this for a while and kept topping off coolant mixture, but I figure its about time to figure out what the hell this is.

      Do you also hear the gurgling while your driving? And especially when your giving it alot of boost? Ive seen others that do.

      Ive only noticed it on mine just after starting my car

    6. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 1.8t
      10-20-2010 09:50 AM #6
      OK So I have noticed the gurgling as well. Again, same as you describe only on start up. I think I have it narrowed down to a coolant head flange. I think the part is about $30 and @ 3 hrs to install.

      Try looking at the back of the engine where the trans is connected, on the passenger side. you should see a pool of coolant down low.

      I was tryign to get info on if anyone has done an install of this part on a passat, sadly no one has responded. There are a few on here that have worked on the jetta, but the engine is transverse in the jetta and longitudinal in the passat, so it is quite a bit more difficult.

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2009
      Location
      Rensselaer County, NY
      Posts
      41
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat 1.8T FWD
      10-20-2010 11:42 PM #7
      Interesting...

      I dont think I see any coolant back there. Any chance you could send me a pic or two of yours?

    8. 10-21-2010 12:14 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
      OK So I have noticed the gurgling as well. Again, same as you describe only on start up. I think I have it narrowed down to a coolant head flange. I think the part is about $30 and @ 3 hrs to install.

      Try looking at the back of the engine where the trans is connected, on the passenger side. you should see a pool of coolant down low.

      I was tryign to get info on if anyone has done an install of this part on a passat, sadly no one has responded. There are a few on here that have worked on the jetta, but the engine is transverse in the jetta and longitudinal in the passat, so it is quite a bit more difficult.
      Well, I too am having this problem as well, but we did have the flange replaced after we noticed a significant amount of coolant had pooled and heated up to the point where you could smell it.

      It will be interesting to find out what the problem is. I haven't noticed the gurgling, but that's because I have not been paying attention after startup, so now I will.

    9. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2009
      Location
      Rensselaer County, NY
      Posts
      41
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat 1.8T FWD
      10-21-2010 02:53 PM #9
      OK so you fixed the pooling coolant issue?

      Are you still noticing your coolant level decreasing after that? I don't have the pooling issue I dont think, not smelling anything funny... I would have thought that would fix your guys' issue. Again any pics would help.

      Have you guys checked ALL the coolant hoses? I haven't, but some are PITA to get to and I dont see any signs of coolant leakage anywhere...

    10. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 1.8t
      10-21-2010 03:07 PM #10
      Well, I have identified the leak, I have NOT repaired the leak. My car has 264,000 miles, I am not really excited about putting money into it. Like i said Im pretty sure its not helping the car any, but money is really tight right now.

      IMHO: I think the gurgling is air int he coolant lines. I am NO mechanic. I will try to get pics, but it will be a few days.

      I was hoping to do the repair myself, however, I have heard the repair requires loosening the motor mounts and rotating the motor forward in order to gain access to the flange. Thus my threads on here. I am trying to find out what others have done for the repair and the only other information I can find is for a Jetta (10xs easier to get to).

    11. 10-21-2010 07:11 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DasPassat View Post
      OK so you fixed the pooling coolant issue?

      Are you still noticing your coolant level decreasing after that? I don't have the pooling issue I dont think, not smelling anything funny... I would have thought that would fix your guys' issue. Again any pics would help.

      Have you guys checked ALL the coolant hoses? I haven't, but some are PITA to get to and I dont see any signs of coolant leakage anywhere...
      To answer your question from my perspective, I must say no, mine has not been fixed, but I no longer see any pooled coolant, nor smell it.

      Although, I wish replacing the flange would have been the fix..

      I will take pics this coming weekend and post, because I still have the color burnt on....

    12. 10-21-2010 07:14 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
      Well, I have identified the leak, I have NOT repaired the leak. My car has 264,000 miles, I am not really excited about putting money into it. Like i said Im pretty sure its not helping the car any, but money is really tight right now.

      IMHO: I think the gurgling is air int he coolant lines. I am NO mechanic. I will try to get pics, but it will be a few days.

      I was hoping to do the repair myself, however, I have heard the repair requires loosening the motor mounts and rotating the motor forward in order to gain access to the flange. Thus my threads on here. I am trying to find out what others have done for the repair and the only other information I can find is for a Jetta (10xs easier to get to).
      I would recommend that you get a second opinion and quote, because I took my passat into a certified mechanic locally and it was under one hundred dollars for the total cost, including the replacing flange.

      He literally had it done in under an hour.

      Nice, you have put on some mileage!

    13. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 1.8t
      10-21-2010 08:27 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
      I would recommend that you get a second opinion and quote, because I took my passat into a certified mechanic locally and it was under one hundred dollars for the total cost, including the replacing flange.

      He literally had it done in under an hour.

      Nice, you have put on some mileage!
      yeah, thanks, when the coils went out the second time a few weeks ago, I nearly teared up because I thought I was going to have to give it up. I drive it like a race car, and this thing is just wonderful.

    14. Member honda2vw03's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2010
      Location
      South Bend, In
      Posts
      388
      Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      10-23-2010 12:27 PM #14
      hey ya know i havent been on here for a while but its good i am cuz i have an 03 passat 1.8t with tha same motor and i too have a coolant leak. i posted a thread a while back about it but SURPRISINGLY no one with a passat knew what the problem was. i found out through a local dealer that its a notorious problem with the cooling flange or something warping. i bought the part (30 dollars exactly) i had coolant on the tranny on the back side and yes they quoted me about 250 parts and labor about 21/2 hours. i havent done the work just cuz its a pain to get to but i will eventually. i bought it about 6 months ago and noticed it about 3 months ago and havent had to add coolant yet. but slowly going down in the reservoir. please get with me when u find your problem too.

    15. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 1.8t
      10-24-2010 12:26 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by honda2vw03 View Post
      hey ya know i havent been on here for a while but its good i am cuz i have an 03 passat 1.8t with tha same motor and i too have a coolant leak. i posted a thread a while back about it but SURPRISINGLY no one with a passat knew what the problem was. i found out through a local dealer that its a notorious problem with the cooling flange or something warping. i bought the part (30 dollars exactly) i had coolant on the tranny on the back side and yes they quoted me about 250 parts and labor about 21/2 hours. i havent done the work just cuz its a pain to get to but i will eventually. i bought it about 6 months ago and noticed it about 3 months ago and havent had to add coolant yet. but slowly going down in the reservoir. please get with me when u find your problem too.
      No I think I found the problem - said coolant head flange. I want to know if anyone with a Passat has done the job themselves. there seem to be a few on here that have done it on a jetta (very different operation) theres even a diy.

    16. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2009
      Location
      Rensselaer County, NY
      Posts
      41
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat 1.8T FWD
      10-25-2010 11:38 PM #16
      Ever get those pics?

      So it sounds like the coolant flange was causing that "pooling issue," but even with that fixed you guys are now still having my same issue which is coolant reservoir just slooowly decreasing with no signs of leakage, nada.

      Have you guys checked all your coolant hoses? I can post diagrams if need be (i think).

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •