Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: board at work build therad

Vehicles
      1990 16vt corrado. 97 bmw 328i
      08-21-2010 04:09 AM #1
      well i have some time on my hands here at work so im going to start my build thread. my corrado as gone through many changes since i bought it in 2008. Unfortunately i do not have a whole lot of pictures but ill post what i have once i get off work on account that the government blocks most web sites.

i purchased my 1990 tornado red corrado in January of 2008. it had a blown bottom end the rod bearings were gone. it was like most corrado i wasn’t really looking to buy another car but i came across this one and rounded some cash up real quick i actually got lucky because i went and looked at it on a friday and i told him i would take it and we would do all the paper work on monday. but he had a few other ppl that were all ready coming to look at it over the weekend. well monday came around and i was lucky enough that the guy kept his word and held the car for me. he even had someone come with cash in hand and he still held it for me. i was very grateful. now the problem was it didnt run and i didnt have a truck to tow it home with. so the phone calls started and after 2 days and a very exciting ride down a mountain i managed to get the car home and rolled of the car dolly to its new home.
      the next day i was so excited having my new toy to play with i dove right into it and started seeing what was wrong with it. i already knew the rod bearings where bad and i was lucky enough the guy had a brand new set of bearing to install in the car. so i took a chance and inspected the crank and the rods and tried to install the bearing to see if this thing would start. well i installed one of the bearings and they were very sloppy I could wiggle the rod around even when it was tight so i pulled it apart and took the old bearing and one of the new ones to my buddy at a local VW shop. he inspected them and right away knew the problem. the bearings were oversized so i had me order a set $40 i figured what the hell ill give it a try and see if it works. day or 2 later i got my new over sized bearing and went home and layed under my car in the freezing cold trying to get the car together. at about midnight i was finally done frozen to the bone i called it quits it was 90% completed. got up early the next morning and went and finished it up and doubled checked everything.
      Now for most of you that know timing a g60 is very easy; that is unless you have never done it before. i probably spent 2+ hours trying to time the damn car and find all the marks and get everything correct. (im a pro now 15 min i can time a g60). After a day of cold hassles i finally got the thing to fire up. and it ran ok i let it sit and idle was watching the oil pressure (installed a gauge while i was fixing it) and tweaking little things and it seemed all good. so i took it for its 1st drive and it ran ok i wasn’t super impressed but i also couldn’t bitch. while out on my test drive i went out to my local vw auto parts store and grab a new o2 sensor and temp sensors cap, rotor, plugs all the basic tune up stuff and took it back home and got everything installed. it seemed to be running good enough that i decided to drive back and forth to school the rest of the week and see how it did well.
      The 1st picture I could find of the car after I got it running

i got about 180 miles on it that week and by that time it started knocking again and i didn’t have high hopes that the rod bearing where going to last but I thought longer then 180 miles. So i took it home once again and parked it.

I let it sit for a few days because I was kind of disappointed. I pulled the oil pan and looked at the damage well everything was not looking so hot. But luckily when i bought the car the guy gave me another block it was just the bottom end short block. so i got online and order a bunch of parts from mjm and while i was at it i decided to rebuilder the supercharger. Didn’t need to it was boosting fine but i didn’t know its history and it was a good idea. i got the charger rebuild kit 1st and set up a nice work station in my basement and carefully took the charger apart cleaned and inspected the whole thing and amazingly it was in perfect condition it was missing 1.5 apex strips but nothing was broken. so i installed the new apex strips lubed it up and put all back together. in the mean time i pulled the bad motor out of the car. wish i would have know how easy it was to pull the front end off the car because pulling the motor with the front end on is a PIA. Got the motor out and started striping everything i need off of it and laying it all out on my bench and cleaned stuff up. pulled the bottom end completely apart to find out that it had over sized main bearings as well And the best part is one of them was missing. so it got set aside as scrap. got the other bottom end that came with the car and threw it on the engine stand and pulled the rod caps off and checked it all out and it was great condition. i replaced the bearings anyway because i had them. i started rebuilding the new motor at about noon when i got all my parts form mjm. And buy 2am i had a completed motor
      The next all i had to do was bolt the trans to it and drop it in the car. Hassled for half the day trying to get it in the car (remember the front end was on the car) finally got it in and bolted to the motor mounts wich getting it lined up on all the mounts took the other half of the day. i had to stop working on account i was cold tired and it began to snow. i ended up having to take a few days off waiting for all the snow to clear up and i was right back at it. After a few days i had the car all together wired and ready to start. And what do you know after a few hours messing with it my corrado was finally alive.

Now it took about 3 months to work out all the problems with it but it was finally running very well. it became my new daily driver and i loved driving it Drove it everywhere. around the beginning of 2009 i was surfing eBay and typed in g60 to see what was out there and what i found was wonderful a black g60 that didn’t run but it had a BBM lysholm supercharger on it some nice wheels and a tt SS exhaust And a few others. i watched the auction emailed the guy and talked to him on the phone i never bid on it after it didn’t sell i called the guy and offered him $1200 for the car and he took it. Score my 2nd corrado.

Now the car was in Tucson az. I live in PA but my father lives in New Mexico so i PayPal my dad money and he went and got me my other corrado. It sat at my father’s house for a few months. until in May 1st 2009 I drove my corrado to the mcnair bbq that was a wonderful get together me and PSUcorrado were the 1st ones there we drove down together but since I was only 19 Mike wouldn’t let me drink but it wasn’t all bad we hung out and had a great time until everyone got there and at about 10pm they decided to go to the local hang out and get some food and beers. Well im out front talking to some ppl its about half hour before we left and mike comes out side and says Eric we are heading to the bar in a little (it was kinda sprinkling so it was a little wet out) and you’re my DD I said ok. Then right before he went inside he turned and looked at me and said if it dries out well take the VRT. Well long story short 5 min later it stoped raining and I got to drive the nicest and fastest corrado. Mike If you would like to chime in on this go head. And for the recorded I wasn’t scared of it it just surprised me. But back to the build topic. Pics right before I went to the bbq

After the mcnairbq me and my girlfriend packed the red corrado up and drove it 2500miles to New Mexico. without a single problem may i add. spent 3 weeks at my father’s played with the new corrado for a day got it to start but it didn’t stay running long (cog pulley was shot) so we pushed it into the shop and i started ripping parts off of it and putting them on the red corrado. the wheels and exhaust were the only things i put on the red car. The girl friend didn’t want my putting the lysholm on. so after being there for 3 weeks we packed the red raddo back up with parts and bags and headed back to PA 2500 miles with no problems was a wonderful vacation and drive.
      This is probly my favorite picture I have of my car. And its not photo shopped

And this was before we left with the new wheels

a few days after we got home i couldn’t wait any longer and i installed my new lysholm on my corrado and we started it up and it was the most wonderful sound ever, scared me at 1st but then i drove it and i was in love. at this point i was slowly molding the car the lysholm being the 1st big mod but it started a trend. Cam, chip, smaller pulley all came in the few months to follow. And i was happy where it was about stage 4 maybe a little more i was running 18psi with the lysholm. And it was running great until and january-feb of 2010 when it start acting up and low and behold the cog pulley had sheared.

Tried fixing it with no luck towed it down to the shop pulled the motor and tried drilling the crank and putting dowel pins in the crank and a brand new cog and put a brand new 9$ crank bolt form VW. it and it worked for all of 12 hours. when i snapped the brand new crank bolt and both pins. so once again the car is towed to the shop where it gets the motor pulled and a different crank put in

get it all put back together back in the car start it up lights right off let it sit for a little and it seemed fine so i went for the test drive got about half a block from the shop and it died and wouldn’t even crank over so we push it back to the shop. and pull the bottom end and the rods where locked up another let down. at this point my raddo has been down for about 3 weeks and the motor had been pulled and put back in 3times. since this motor was now toast i started calling trying to find a new motor. About 2 day and found one that had been sitting in a buddy’s basement for probly 5 years. Went and got it for 200$ stipend all the acc off it because they were all shot and rusted. Cleaned it up the best we could and started bolting all the good parts from my other motor on it.

after about another week off leaving work getting to the shop at around 6 and staying till 12-1. working off of about 4-5 hours of sleep a night i was ready to be done with this car. but i pushed through and we got it back running again. And very well the new motor was in excellent shape. And pulled hard and felt great until march of 2010 when i was on my way back from Maryland and was cursing along at about 80 I had tweaked the car a little and it was running the best that it ever had run. when all of a sudden i lost power and it’s just dogging. its night time i couldn’t see much but then another car comes up behind me and as the headlight got closer all i saw was a cloud of smoke pulled off the high way rather quickly and popped the hood to see where this smoke was coming from. It was blowing out the breather and the oil cap. i knew what had happened i melted a piston. But it still ran knowing that the motor was toast I needed to try and get it the last 10miles to the shop. I made it very slowly but I made it . Parked it for the night and my buddy lent me his truck so i could go to work the next morning. it didn’t take long but i was so tired of the pg motor there was no possible way i was putting another one in my raddo. i started looking around and found a motor. a fully built 2l 16v with all the bells and whistles. We Drove 4 hours each way to get the motor. got back to the shop and my new challenge began putting the lysholm on the 16v motor.

so i started gathering and making parts for the motor. removed digi 1 and installed megasquirt and when it was all said in done about 4-6 weeks later we had to move to a new shop half way through the build because some of the ppl at the shop we were at said it was more problems then it was worth so me and my one friend found our own shop.

i was broke but the car was alive once again. and now the fun of tuning begins now that the car was running i was having problems with mega squirt took about 3+ weeks to get all the bugs worked out of MS and i finally had a decent street tune. i was back driving my corrado again what a relief when i break my raddo i drive a purple geo metro. Now the car is running great have some problem here and there it kept breaking belts not sure why. Fixing boost leaks trying to get the thing tuned better it just wasn’t putting out the power that i was expecting it would. Now the 16v motor has been in my car for about 4000ish miles and it has been run very good. Then 2 days before dubs on the Delaware witch would have been the 1st show i have ever taken the car to because it seems to brake right before shows for some reason. it started running like horse crap on my way to work. i got to work did my shift and when i got in it to go home it started right up but sounded and felt like it was only running on 2 cylinders. so i baby it home about 10 miles and start trying to figure out what was wrong with it. And checked every possible thing i could think of and it came down to that it was the valve springs binding. so i pulled the head off the car and took down to my buddy at the VW shop i go to. So he could take a look at it and maybe could figure out the problem. called autotech and they sent me a new set of valve spring since they are life time warranty got the springs Monday and hopefully the head will be done today. But while it was down i also decided to ditch the lysholm. i do love the supercharger. but every time i would brake the belt the car just sounded so good smooth quiet and just wonder full to drive. so i posted the lysholm for sale and low in behold it sold last Friday so I’m now currently in the middle of converting to turbo everything has been bought should have all my parts next week and hoping to have it boosting again by next weekend. as far as turbo parts here what the build in tales.

Stainless steel equal length manifold custom made by Forty-six and 2
      tial 38mm waste gate

Garratt gt3582 turbo with .63 hot side
      3" turbo back exhaust with electric cutout

ic to be determined stock side mount for now then AWIC

ill post the pictures i have when i get home im bad about taking pictures but ill see what i have form the corrados life

current motor set up

ARP main studs
      scat rods
      83mm wiseco aba pistons notched for 16v. 8:1 comp
      ARP head studs
      ABA head gasket
      rebult/ported 2.0 16v head
      Autotech cams
      Autotech high rev springs
      ABF timing belt
      All new gaskets
      VW windage tray
      new oil pump
      new intermediate shaft bearings/9a intermediate shaft set up!!
      83lbs holly low z inj
      ms2 3.57 board
      lc1 wideband.
      custom tubular manifold
      38mm vband tial wasgate
      turbosmart dualport bov
      GT3582 DBB turbo .63hotside
      full 3" turbo back with electric cutout at bottom of DP
      Last edited by ewillard; 12-03-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 2L 16V, 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro S-Line
      08-21-2010 06:26 AM #2
      Lay off the caffeine

Vehicles
      08-21-2010 07:18 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Lay off the caffeine
      probly a good idea(red bull need more red bull) but working midnight-8am as an Millitary Police is kinda boring there is nothing going on theres only olke 12 ppl on the whole depot

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      08-21-2010 11:26 AM #4
      Well... It looks like you definitely have the determination required of a Corrado owner. Now get some pics up!
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      08-21-2010 11:33 AM #5
      I wanna read it all but Jesus, thats a lot. Pics.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      08-21-2010 11:41 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      I wanna read it all but Jesus, thats a lot. Pics.
      ^^ x2

OP, really man, edit it...smaller paragraphs/spaces etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      90 g60 corrado
      08-21-2010 12:13 PM #7
      holy crap i read the whole thing

seems you like to type as much as you like pulling motors apart good write-up though

lay off the redbull and drink more
      quoted by me:
      "vdubs are like wifes"
      "they always want money,and you never have enough for them"
      also:
      "you always want to beat them,but you know it will just cost you more"

Vehicles
      08-21-2010 07:29 PM #8
      Ok edited and pictures added

Vehicles
      08-22-2010 10:05 PM #9
      parts are on the way hope to see boost again by next weekend

Vehicles
      08-28-2010 02:09 PM #10
      1st parts arived to day got the wastegate and manifold hope to have the turbo eraly next week. and once i get the head back from the head shop well be about a day to put together and maybe a day to make boost tubes and double check stuff

Vehicles
      09-01-2010 01:40 PM #11
      and now the fun parts are here

Vehicles
      09-03-2010 07:28 AM #12
      did some mocking up pics when i get off work looks like most everything shold fit. might be tight but who dosnt like that
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6W8 View Post
      Is it a sickness? Yeah, I think so. Why I still tinker with it, and still own it, I have no idea really.
      my build thread pic heavy http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...k-build-therad click for corrado bently PDFhttp://www.4shared.com/zip/eVgLVViZ/corrado.html

Vehicles
      09-10-2010 08:32 PM #13
      update got the wastegate port on the manifold got the dp modified to fit. water lines are in oil feed line is on manifold and waste gate are mounted to the motor and dp is in car im having trouble with my oil return line its a tight fit and the oil return line i have is all -10 an and the the fittings are way to large so i have to make a soild drain tube to get through the manifold should get it done tomorrow and then clock the compressor to the correct place hock up all the lines and put the manifold on then its time to try and start it. im sure its not going to start very easly i got diffrent injectors and there low z not high so i had to change so settings in megasquirt. and there 83lbs not 50lbs. heres some pics ill get more tomorow once i bolt it all together. i think ill take the 1st drive by monday.

Is it a sickness? Yeah, I think so. Why I still tinker with it, and still own it, I have no idea really.
      my build thread pic heavy http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...k-build-therad click for corrado bently PDFhttp://www.4shared.com/zip/eVgLVViZ/corrado.html

Vehicles
      Passport and Rocco shell.
      09-11-2010 10:09 AM #14
      ill call dibbs on first ride

Vehicles
      09-14-2010 01:38 AM #15
      the car got put together to day and tried to start it and i made some wired nosies as it cranked me and a few buddies where trying to figure it out. and after a bunch of BS and restting and double checking timing. i couldnt figure it out tireed to spin it over again and with the TB open it sounded like it was backfiring through the intake. so i stoped and pulled the valve cover and checked the cam and as soon as i pulled the valvue cover i found the problem damn mechanic that rebuilt my head put the intake cam in 180 out so hes getting a phone call 1st thing in the morning. so i put the cams in the correct way button it all back up and dd timimng jump in it try to start it and nothing. i forgot to plug the fuel pump back in plug that in and the thing started in 3 cranks. it sound amazing and its a little rough but i didnt have my wideband in and it was a new map i just made. im going to finish it up tomorrow put the exhaust on i have to modify my oil return its a little long but ill shorten it up. i got to call around find a place thats capable of making me a boost tube. then its time to do a decent tune and have some fun. im getting sick of driving a fucning geo metro

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado 2001 Audi S4
      09-14-2010 02:30 AM #16
      Cant wait to see this.

Vehicles
      09-14-2010 09:03 AM #17
      but the geo is your favorite hahahahaha. glad it runs ill have stop down soon

Vehicles
      09-14-2010 10:01 PM #18
      dave if i get it drivable before i leave sat for traning ill come pick you up. if not as soon as i get back well go out

Vehicles
      09-17-2010 12:51 AM #19
      exhaust is on and boost tube is made drove it around a little today its was running like **** it wont take boost and i cant give it more then quater throttle it will start bucking and if i try to get into boost it getts really bad

Vehicles
      09-19-2010 06:29 AM #20
      car was running great before i left for army training i drove it a few hundred miles and was boosting great sounds amazing and feels good makes me smile everytime it spools. im in nj for a few weeks when i return i will be getting it tunned adding boost and better ic and maybe a ebc
      Last edited by ewillard; 09-19-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Vehicles
      11-01-2010 12:54 PM #21
      Air to water ic came today and my Sri should be here this week tunnung on the dyno

Vehicles
      11-22-2010 06:20 PM #22
      well yesterday was not a good day for the corrado. was cimung home on the high way and got on it and it was spooling and do its thing then i hit about 5500 and it stoped pulling so i got off of it real quick but it was to late huge plume of blue smoke out the back. we pulled over and its pumping smoke out the breather it was still runing fine but blowing smoke i figureed it was head gasket so we limped it 5 miles back to my house. and today i ripped it apart to find more then just head gasket pooped. not for the weak stomch

Last edited by ewillard; 11-22-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Vehicles
      1990 purple G60 + 1992 black VR + 93 black VR
      11-22-2010 07:29 PM #23
      haha..... I think thats a little more than caffeine buddy and yea ill read this novel sometime...

24. 11-22-2010 08:54 PM #24
      broke the ring or ringland?

Vehicles
      11-23-2010 11:18 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 EDM View Post
      haha..... I think thats a little more than caffeine buddy and yea ill read this novel sometime...
      Only things consumed in this build are cigs beer yager four locos joose and lots of diner food. I'm just very energetic
      and lots of red bull
      Last edited by ewillard; 11-23-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      11-23-2010 11:35 AM #26
      Contemplating locking on account of:

-Horrible grammar, sentence structure, and paragraph layout
      -Photos are WAY to large
      -Photos are amazingly crappy

Not really, but honestly, can you resize your pics and proof-read before posting? My head hurt after the first paragraph.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      1991 Corrado 16V ABF Aqua Blue Pearl effect. 2004 Mk4 Golf (Daily)
      11-23-2010 12:11 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      Contemplating locking on account of:

-Horrible grammar, sentence structure, and paragraph layout
      -Photos are WAY to large
      -Photos are amazingly crappy

Not really, but honestly, can you resize your pics and proof-read before posting? My head hurt after the first paragraph.
      AMEN!
      my god I tried reading it, but the grammar is just horrible...
      Good luck with the built

Vehicles
      11-23-2010 04:03 PM #28
      i apoligize for my inadequate gramer and sentence structure. i will fix it

Vehicles
      12-03-2010 08:18 PM #29
      corrected some of the errors in the origianl post.

but update on the car i pulled the motor out today and dropped it off at the shop to get rebult i dont have time to rebuild it on account i leave in about a week for deployment so the car is going to be down for a while. the motor is getting rebuilt and put back in the car by a few friends of mine so that i have a car to drive when i get home next year.

Vehicles
      12-17-2010 11:17 PM #30
      So any word on when the motor will be ready for me to pick up? And hows the weather in texas?

Vehicles
      01-23-2012 05:40 PM #31
      ok been back form Afghanistan for about a little over a month and been hammering away on the raddo giving it the TLC that it has always needed. the motor never got done while i was gone so its is getting done now that i am back should be picking it up tomorrow and going to get it back together. but heres a parts run down that has been put on and or bought since my last update.

The motor is a ABF replica so the 159mm rods
      Obd 1 ABA 2L block
      82.5mm wosner pistons 9:1 comp ratio
      Scat rods 159mm with 21mm wrist pins
      86lbs holy injectors
      Autotech sport cams and high rev springs light weight lifters
      Head p&p
      Ms 2 3.57 board
      Gizmo boost contoler
      Gt35r turbo with .63 hot side
      38mm tial wastegate
      Bbm ss log manifold
      custom short runner with VR TB
      3" turbo back exhaust
      Turbosmart raceport bov 52mm
      3" boost tubes and awic set up with 750hp core
      Wavtrac diff in a o2a trans code is ctn (diesel trans)
      Stage 3 das axles
      Bosh 044 in a IE surge tank full stainless steal lines tank to bay all -6an
      Arp hardware through out motor
      CM fx725 clutch.
      brembo BIG brake kit
      wheel studs
      koni coilovers
      manual steering swap

pics to follow

im hopeing to have the motor in it by the weekend and ill have pics. then the fun of custom making all the boost tubes and find out where to put the IC will be fun.

Vehicles
      01-23-2012 06:31 PM #32
      under carage form an oil leak

and after

cleaned the engine bay sry no before and after

new brakes

manual steering swap

wheel wells where black

ill get more this week
      Last edited by ewillard; 08-29-2012 at 08:56 AM.

01-23-2012 09:39 PM #33
      Bravo, misto buildul! O sa citesc in detaliu dupa ce termin examenele haha.

Saw the RO plates, so assuming you speak Romanian. "Great build, I'll be reading it in detail after my exams are done."
      Last edited by cata; 01-23-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Vehicles
      90' Corrado m62
      01-23-2012 10:23 PM #34
      So what ended making the carnage happen? I read the head gasket but what about the plugs! To running to lean?

Vehicles
      01-24-2012 12:05 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by g60301 View Post
      So what ended making the carnage happen? I read the head gasket but what about the plugs! To running to lean?

the events that lead up to the carnage i knew the motor was hurting already from the cylinders being washed down from trying to tune it back when it was supercharged so i was getting blow by. then the day it blew i was on the highway and went to pass an 18 wheeler and got into it and all of a sudden it went from holding 20psi of boost to 42psi.(found this out in the data logs) the boost line blew off the waste gate so the waste gate never opened and it leaned out melted all 4 pistons lifted the head and blew the head gasket it actually stretched the threads in the block.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast