Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ABA OBDII swap....VSS question....WhereTF is the Fing connector

Vehicles
      built 90 jetta coupe
      08-21-2010 10:56 PM #1
      I have a VSS question....I am adding a MKIII dash and VSS to my OBDII aba/02a swap

OK, so I got a MKIII dash and harness and picked up a VSS.......but for the life of me I cannot locate the VSS connector in the harness(I hate my life). If my harness came off a auto it should still have a vss plug right. I pieced all this together off the vortex....so I don't know what years it all came off.

Is the VSS plug in different locations on auto/manual harnesses???? For all I know I could be using a auto main harness with manual sub-harnesses.

I am looking into hard wiring the vss, I got a plug from the junk yard to wire it with. From what I can tell I need to send the white/blue to G1/11, the brown/white I can ground and the last wire is white which I assume is the power which would go to G1/05.

Would this work? Why wouldn't my harness have a VSS plug(I have looked everwhere, its not there)???

2. 08-23-2010 09:35 PM #2
      yeah an auto has the vss on the engine side of the 28pin connector. try looking try looking for the wiring diagrams, u can easily add the pins in to ur t28 plug

Vehicles
      built 90 jetta coupe
      08-23-2010 11:45 PM #3
      ya...I assumed that....the VSS signal wire from the main harness is going to the T28 connector...but on the sub harness side the wire does not continue. So I wired in a VSS to the system....all is well

4. Semi-n00b
      04-21-2017 11:07 AM #4
      So I know this is an old post, but after some searching and not finding what I'm looking for, I thought I'd throw this here.

I have kind of the same problem. I have a 1994 ABA (OBD1) engine in a 1987 Golf manual trans car. I got it from a guy that had it set up and it is stripped down for a track car. He pulled the ECU harness and ECU to use in his MK1 Track car. I'm trying to slowly piece it together. I found and bought a brand new old stock ECM harness that is a for a 1995 OBD1 ABA, but it is for an automatic transmission. When I bought it, I thought the only difference was an extra wire. Now I found out these connections for VSS and Reverse Switch on the Auto trans cars come on the TCU Harness. The manual trans car comes with these in the ECU harness.

I'm fine with this because I have no issue with making wire mods; I've worked on electronics and electrical systems for almost 30 years. My only problem is, I need good wiring schematics so I don't have to trace out this whole mess.

Is there a way I can get the schematics / wiring diagrams I need, other then spending $100 on a Bentley Manual? I hear the Hayes are worthless manuals, but do they have schematics? Does somebody have copies of the pages I need? I wouldn't mind documenting the process for posterity.

Thanks!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      04-22-2017 11:34 AM #5
      A2resource.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Semi-n00b
      04-24-2017 10:15 PM #6
      Thanks I already had that information. I'm was looking for a little more then that. Regardless, I had gotten a good deal on a used Bentley manual. I'm hoping there's enough information in there.

I'm going to pull it all back out anyway so I can add the wires in right.

For advertising information click HERE