Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How is your oil catch can performing? oil residue on outlet hoses?

Vehicles
      16vt 2.0L MK4 Jetta Wagon | B6 A4 Avant
      08-23-2010 06:52 PM #1
      Most ppl just show what a can has caught, but not what it has let thru (if anything).

How are ppl's cans performing? What does your outlet hoses look like?

Thanks,
      Rey

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      08-23-2010 08:36 PM #2
      well, i run a vent to atmosphere setup, so most of the stuff gets "through" the system, but I can tell you that 99% of the stuff I see come out of my catch can is a thick, hot smoke. I just dont see cans catching all of this smoke to be honest. When Im on the dyno, my catch can's filter is spewing soooooooooo much smoke that it looks like a mini volcano. kinda cool to watch tbh.
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      2006/VW/GTI
      08-24-2010 06:36 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
      well, i run a vent to atmosphere setup, so most of the stuff gets "through" the system, but I can tell you that 99% of the stuff I see come out of my catch can is a thick, hot smoke. I just dont see cans catching all of this smoke to be honest. When Im on the dyno, my catch can's filter is spewing soooooooooo much smoke that it looks like a mini volcano. kinda cool to watch tbh.
      +1 my ej c/c & valve cover setup r pretty slick but, as far as the smoke n oil vapor dumped into the air it's like busting a drunken nut. it's better dumped out side the $!ut than inside her lol.

Vehicles
      08-25-2010 09:58 PM #4
      How messy does it make the engine bay?

Vehicles
      08-25-2010 10:22 PM #5
      it doesnt usually.

the only time i had anything "dirty" up my engine bay was when I went for a road trip in the middle of winter and the filter got super soaked with water and the oily residue spilled down a tiny bit around the can, but a wet nap cleaned it right up, and a new filter solved the problems.

I now have a line running from my can to the ground so i dont have any smells getting sucked into my AC.
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      08-25-2010 10:40 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
      I now have a line running from my can to the ground so i dont have any smells getting sucked into my AC.
      And no filter? Or did you relocate the filter to the end of said hose?

Vehicles
      08-25-2010 11:22 PM #7
      it has a filter, but its not needed. if anything crawls up the line, there is no way it can make it into my can since there is mesh at the outlet.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 GTI
      08-27-2010 07:45 PM #8
      Removed my catch-can today just to have a look, seems like it's doing it's job. Input hose was wet, output hose not quite dry but much better than the input. Rinsed/flushed the catch-can with gasoline.

Even though the re-circ catch-can is better than not having one at all I still do not like the idea of sending the left-overs to the intake/pre-turbo. The residue must build up after some time on the compressor blades, IC and intake valves.

On the other hand there is the VTA option, don't like this either since there is no vacuum assist to extract the crank-case build-up. This results in crank-case pressures higher than atmospheric before there is some venting, this surely will result in a loss of HP, ring blow-by and early oil contamination.

Has anyone played with the idea of inserting an electric vacuum pump connected to the outlet port of a VTA catch-can? No more re-circ and you get a few inches of vacuum to keep the crank-case below atmospheric pressure.

Not worth the effort or can it be done?

Vehicles
      08-27-2010 08:29 PM #9
      why flush with gas??? carb cleaner or soap and water work just fine. crap, even brake cleaner is good... and its all alot cheaper.

anyways, i doubt a VTA setup will really hurt when it comes to blow by and all that since the pressure will want to get out via the path of least resistance. I know that when im just idling, the smoke from my setup is pouring out of the front from where my hose dumps it. looks like my car is breathing smoke. cool ****.

if it has enough power to evacuate as many fumes as I have been seeing, at idle, i have no doubt that it will do so much more when im flogging her.