Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tiguan 4motion performance in the snow?

1. 08-24-2010 06:21 PM #1
      Thinking of purchasing a Tiguan and would like to know how the 4motion performs in the snow. Is the power distribution to the back tires reliable? Any info is much appreciated!

Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit (RIP), 2010 CC VR6 3.6 4motion
      08-24-2010 07:14 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Philadriver View Post
      Thinking of purchasing a Tiguan and would like to know how the 4motion performs in the snow. Is the power distribution to the back tires reliable? Any info is much appreciated!
      Power to the front tires is where it counts in the snow. The rear will just push, the front will actually pull u in the direction u want.

I havnt driven a tiguan in a lot of snow but I've driven nearly all other 4motion VWs (i worked at a dealership) and it does it's job very well.

So to answer ur question: A good set of snow tires and a smart driver will make a tiguan 4mo. a very reliable drive
      Three.8.Werks
      My bagged CC 3.6 VR6 4motion Thread
      @BrunoJS

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan
      08-24-2010 07:36 PM #3
      Well i have taken in 3 feet of snow with no problem. I do not advise doing donuts in that much snow. Start to build up a drift and might get stuck (I did was fun). I had no problem going up or down hills. Now my sister and brother in law had a much better experience. The first big store last winter they took the tiguan to SC and drove from NJ to SC in a storm that accumulated 36" by the time they got there on a highway that was closed. The only issue was snow was too heavy and the wiper broke.

the long and short of it is that they did an awesome job on the 4 motion and unless you are driving on a sheet of ice or the snow is just too deep you will have no problems.

Vehicles
      2009TiguanHighline
      08-24-2010 10:02 PM #4
      Traction is amazing, (No slipping) I was stunt by the easyness of the Tig to accellerate such efficiently in snow (It was primary that who blew my sock off for buying the VW!)

But be carefull! The acceleration in the snow doesn't equal the decellaration in the snow (allmost smash my Tig ... had to pass through the cross road stop sign with the ABS vibrating like hell and with my horn fully on and praying ...!)

From that you are now warn! ;-) For adult only ;-)

5. 08-25-2010 01:05 PM #5
      I would say even w/ the stock Pirelli's, I had no trouble in light or deep snow (we had a record snow fall in my state this past winter). I was actualy impressed w/ it's snow capabilities, so I can only imagine what a good set of winter tires on my 09 Tig SEL '4mo' would be like vs the stockers. I think VW's "4-Motion" is one of the best AWD systems out there.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan SE 4motion
      08-25-2010 01:25 PM #6
      watch some youtube videos it looks like thats where the 4motion does best is in the snow!!

7. 08-25-2010 08:31 PM #7
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wqka0MHDZo

Driving through 12+ inches in some places.. It did great, I did have to turn off traction control a few times to get out of the deep stuff..

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan
      08-25-2010 09:15 PM #8
      Traction control is very annoying in the snow. I have trouble speeding with it on.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      08-25-2010 10:21 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWabbit View Post
      Power to the front tires is where it counts in the snow. The rear will just push, the front will actually pull u in the direction u want.

......however, climbing steep hills, where the weight is shifted to the back, this is where the push from the rear wheels will help tremendously.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Sold my 2009 Tiguan when Intake manifold failed prior to recall. Screw you VW.
      08-26-2010 02:09 PM #10
      The snow mobility of the Tig is excellent. I have been nothing but impressed with the AWD.

But beware that, as Adrenalyne said, you really need real snow tires in order to be safe.

I had a similar situation as he, and nearly had an accident because I couldn't stop so well before the intersection. I admit I was going a little too fast, but the road condition near the intersection was worse than the road leading up to it.

Anyways, this was all on the all-weather tires. They are fine in the snow, but not truly safe like snow tires. (I'm speaking of the Michelin oem tires.)

I highly recommend snow tires to anyone who likes to really be able to get around in the northern states. The Tig will do OK in most regions with the standard tires, but true mobility and safety in the slick stuff calls for snow/ice tires.

I hope to have the money to buy them in a few months.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10 Passat Wag(wife); 09 Tig SE 4mo/pano (mine);00 Golf GLS 1.8t, 2x 20th's; 93 'Rado SLC; 87 GLI 16V
      08-26-2010 05:45 PM #11
      I would definitely agree about how great the traction is. We've had our SE 4mo for 2 winters now (on stock Pirelli's) and can't complain at all. As has already been stated, be careful slowing down though! LOL Had a blast in a nursing college parking lot on a saturday night pretending to be a rally driver and doing 4 wheel donuts!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Sold my 2009 Tiguan when Intake manifold failed prior to recall. Screw you VW.
      08-26-2010 06:25 PM #12
      Me too!

I spent 20 minutes in a local parking lot playing around in 4 inches of fluffy snow. It was interesting to see what the ESP can and can't do in the slippery stuff.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10 Passat Wag(wife); 09 Tig SE 4mo/pano (mine);00 Golf GLS 1.8t, 2x 20th's; 93 'Rado SLC; 87 GLI 16V
      08-27-2010 04:06 PM #13
      With ESP on it really sucks trying to get out of deep stuff but turn that thing off and AWAY YOU GO!

Just another little side note, imo, if you drop it into Sport mode (or tip and downshift), it really helps with deceleration. Have fun!

Vehicles
      MKIV R32, 2010 Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition, 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
      09-02-2010 06:16 PM #14
      I am definitely looking forward to trying out the Tiguan in the snow this coming winter season. If the 4Motion in the Tiguan works as well as in my R32, the Tiguan will be a beast in the snow. I am really a fan of 4Motion and I think that it's worth the extra money

15. 09-02-2010 08:19 PM #15
      Here are some videos of Tiguans in the snow:

And one of my favorite videos: a Tiguan tows a Winnebago, which is towing a van, which is carrying a car, and which is towing another car: