125K views 283 replies 147 participants last post by  redshift 
#1 ·
So is it legal already?
Seller says it is.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1014410

"Amarok 2011 CrewCab Brand new zero miles, ready to be shipped to
your door, this truck is not available in USA only in Mexico
we can arrange for you as a courtesy the shiping from
Laredo Tx zip 78045 to anyplace in the USA at your own cost, 4X4, and 4x2 versions.
Clean Diesel Engine ,very reliable, very fast and Solid.
The safety standards, and the EPA are Ok "

See less See more
#2 ·
I suppose if bringing in 6 tons of yayo to the States is a regular thing for you, you may not think bringing a VW into this country is a big deal. :laugh:

Bizarrely though I bet the feds catch you faster for the illegally imported car than for las drogas. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Don't knock bringing stuff in from Mexico, it's a very lucrative trade.;)

But maybe the truck is federalized and legel here but VW just hasn't launched it here yet or still mulling if they should or not. But this is quite a stretch, they would not spend money getting it legalized unless they were launching it 100%.

Why oh why can't we get THAT here???!!!????

The Powerstroke would be gone in a second!
Yes you can, didn't you read the ad? ;)

#5 ·
couldnt you just register it in mexico, and then drive it into the states?

#10 ·
I'll bet it doesn't exist unless this vehicle is very closely related to something we do get.
It's a little old, but:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/12/first-drive-review-2010-volkswagen-amarok.html

My favorite line:

"A gasoline direct-injection turbo four-cylinder will come in a year’s time, but for now there are two turbo diesels, both common rail and both 2.0-liters in size."

LOL!! Leave it to VW to offer only a diesel, and later make the gas engine an option! I love it!

#13 ·
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amarok (wolf)

Amarok is the name of a gigantic wolf in Inuit mythology.

It is said to hunt down and devour anyone foolish enough to hunt alone at night. Unlike real wolves who hunt in packs, Amarok hunts alone. It is sometimes considered equivalent to the waheela of cryptozoology.

#31 ·
Now that cracks me up.

Amarok is a fine looking truck, but it's only viable here if they are able to sell it cheaply enough and it gets good mileage compared to the competition. If it doesn't offer something new or undercut the competition, it will not succeed any better than their last attempt in the U.S. truck market.

#33 ·
Wow... Reading through the comments on the link I posted earlier really shows how ignorant the US public is... The article states "163 hp and a stump-pulling 295 lbs.-ft. of torque"... Here's one of the comments:

"A two litre engine for a work vehicle of that size! how long would you expect the engine to last towing heavy loads?"

Ummm... wow. :banghead: IT'S A FREAKIN DIESEL! 295 foot pounds of torque out of a 2 litre engine??!! Holy crap, let's see any of the "domestic" (note - tongue in cheek using that term) automakers do that!

But it's really not worth getting into arguments with people like that... They do stupid way better than I do!

#160 ·
Ummm... wow. :banghead: IT'S A FREAKIN DIESEL! 295 foot pounds of torque out of a 2 litre engine??!! Holy crap, let's see any of the "domestic" (note - tongue in cheek using that term) automakers do that!

But it's really not worth getting into arguments with people like that... They do stupid way better than I do!
Explorer Ecoboost does 270 ft-lbs with 87 octane. AND "EPA is good"
ENGINE 2.0L/240-hp/270-lb-ft turbo DOHC 4-valve I-4

I don't get the diesel love, yea 40mpg, but $.80 a gallon more.

#38 ·
per dwight shrute, the reason to wear that shirt is because it is suggestive to women

#48 · (Edited)
It's so strange to me that you can only get diesels on the big pickups here.
I'd want something with Amarok like specs in a truck, smaller diesel: lots of torqs for towing and hauling and decent efficiency just tooling about. It'd tow a car on a trailer just fine, have plenty of space for big stuff.

It seems sort of like the ideal suburban hauler vehicle...I mean, what average (I mean, not that one TCLer's uncle that hauls cubic feel of lead around in his spare time) homeowner needs to tow 5 tons? I feel like my dad was a bigger do-it=yourselfer than most and our Montero was never really inadequate, except the times even an HD truck would have been to little.

Why do you think it is that we don't get any smaller diesel truck options here (including something big3)? I'm guessing emissions + big-3 diesel stigma carry over.

#50 ·
It's so strange to me that you can only get diesels on the big pickups here.
I'd want something with Amarok like specs in a truck, smaller diesel: lots of torqs for towing and hauling and decent efficiency just tooling about. It'd tow a car on a trailer just fine, have plenty of space for big stuff.

It seems sort of like the ideal suburban hauler vehicle...I mean, what average homeowner needs to tow 5 tons? I feel like my dad was a bigger do-it=yourselfer than most and our Montero was never really inadequate, except the times even an HD truck would have been to little.

Why do you think it is that we don't get any smaller diesel truck options here (including something big3)? I'm guessing emissions + big-3 diesel stigma carry over.
It's funny... I have a Ford Superduty with the 6.0 TD in it. Love it. Gets really good mileage for a big a$$ truck (18 consistently on the highway), and it's fun to drive with the turbo sounding like a freaking F18.

So I was in the local Ford dealership this week, paying my $1000 repair bill for a faulty "fuel injection control module", (love my VW mechanical fi on the rabbit) and mentioned that Ford should cut my engine in half and dump it in a half-ton truck, so that I could have a 250/250 engine in a truck that will get 30+ mpg. The salesman rolled his eyes! I wonder how many times he's heard that. Then I mentioned that VW is making one, and hopefully they would be importing it soon. He didn't have anything at all to say to that.

It's really funny how the domestic manufacturers think they know what consumers want... seems like they are being bailed out and purchased by the same companies that are making the vehicles that they roll their eyes about. Too bad, I hope VW brings this here and stomps the idiotic domestics. I'd trade my Superduty on one in a heartbeat.

#55 ·
The Amarok is price competitive with the top of the market here in Southern Africa. It also stacked up well against the Hilux though there was considerable concern about it's electronics and the fact that VW dealers are rarer then hens teeth outside of major metropolitan areas.

Price as tested converted into US dollars....$55,790

#61 ·
Now there's a solid business case if I ever heard one. VW, you should hire this guy.

:laugh::laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.