Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011 VW Amarok for sale in the US of A, $40000.00

Vehicles
      GTI | CX9
      11-11-2011 11:25 PM #141
      2014 eh? Actually when we'll be in the market for another new vehicle. If they don't completely lose the plot and nix TDI availability (can't see this happening but they've made senseless decisions in the past) this looks VERY likely
      dasjettakartell - immortalized on the wall, forgotten on the floor

#HOTTESTCHICKINTHAGAME

2. 11-11-2011 11:58 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by sp_wh View Post
      The Amarok has been sold only with manual transmission so far, it would be inappropriate if ever sold in the U.S. market, for those who want automatic transmission (not my case), here it is:

wait why is a picture of a horse in this thread

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      11-12-2011 01:39 AM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by c0mmon View Post
      because race horse

Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      11-12-2011 02:15 AM #144
      This is the only picture I have with my Amarok. Can someone photoshop out my ex-girlfriend and her horse?

11-12-2011 07:13 AM #145
      There was one at SEMA.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      11-12-2011 07:34 AM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by c0mmon View Post
      **** your Volkswagen Amarok, I've a horse outside.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

7. 11-12-2011 11:11 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon@SoCalStanceShop View Post
      One were TWO at SEMA... white one was diesel... very interesting indeed

First on my list of "will never come to North America" was the Nissan Navara. But I think the Amarok may have taken over first place. But Navara definately has the edge with the 3.0 V6 TD (230hp and 405 ft lbs torque). The V6 makes it the sweetest sounding small diesel in the bunch. But $60K USD??? Insane.

Last edited by mdp; 11-12-2011 at 11:14 AM.

8. Banned
      11-12-2011 12:22 PM #148
      They have zero power, I drove one overseas. Mehh

9. 11-12-2011 01:26 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Fiasko View Post
      They have zero power, I drove one overseas. Mehh
      Not sure how 405 lbs ft of torque in 3 litres equates to the feel of "zero power", but if you say so.

10. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon 4motion, 02 Jetta 1.8T, 10 CC 3.6 4motion
      11-12-2011 02:29 PM #150
      I would honestly buy one, if it all checked out! Saw a bunch while in europe and honestly loved the sporty and tough design of them. I wouldn't spent 40K but could justify 35K for a well optioned one. The small truck market needs more options to shake things up a bit. There are not really that many offering a smaller truck in a world saturated with SUVs and CUVs
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia GLI Aluminum trim for Sale Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

11. 11-12-2011 03:05 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Vettes, Volvos and VWs View Post
      I would honestly buy one, if it all checked out! Saw a bunch while in europe and honestly loved the sporty and tough design of them. I wouldn't spent 40K but could justify 35K for a well optioned one. The small truck market needs more options to shake things up a bit. There are not really that many offering a smaller truck in a world saturated with SUVs and CUVs
      Well they say it's the biggest selling truck in Europe, but personally, I think they're both nice looking vehicles, but I prefer the Amarok styling better. But if it came down to price, I'd go maybe 32-35K tops for the Navara V6. Lets just hope if the Amarok does hit NA, and is successful, others WILL follow.

12. 11-15-2011 05:23 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
      I agree 2014 is a very long wait. I could use a new vehicle for this fall.

I took a look over at the UK VW website and their spec show:
      163hp and 295 lbs tq.
      City 29.1mpg(9.7 L/100km) - Hwy 40.4mpg (7 L/100km) - Combined 35.8mpg (7.9L/ 100km)
      towing 6160lbs (2800kg)
      Doing some math it seems the truck bed is about 6.5 feet long.

This is exactly what I need! I don't want to go buy another Caravan!

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ama...pecifications/
      According to the websight thats 40 mpg hwy with 4 doors and 4X4! A single cab 2 wheel drive should do even better.

11-15-2011 06:34 PM #153
      i want an amarok, but i want an svt raptor even more.

14. 11-18-2011 08:56 AM #154
      Has VW ever made an official announcement about Amarok coming to U.S. yet?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      11-18-2011 09:10 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by mdp View Post
      Has VW ever made an official announcement about Amarok coming to U.S. yet?
      If there had been, you'd have seen it here.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

16. 12-21-2011 06:46 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by disccooker View Post

Update: about 2000 trucks
      Did you ever notice what happened to these Amaroks? How long did they stay there?

12-21-2011 07:08 PM #157
      So VW has this hour long advertorial on tv here called the Rok adventure.

18. Banner Advertiser Chris@Revo USA's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      12-22-2011 06:29 AM #158
      We got one for development over in our UK office no only am I jealous of the truck itself but the twin turbo on the 2.0 CR TDI.. need that in my JSW!

Vehicles
      VW
      12-22-2011 07:06 AM #159
      Everyone is stuck on $40k figure from OP. It's an add from some site, not VW pricing.
      I'm sure they are not dumb enough to price so high, nor dumb enough to think they will take over the truck market. There is enough of market for small trucks in US. People who want a bed and some tow capacity that don't want. A big.
      ass truck.
      I would deff look into one if they ever become available.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      04 TL 6MT, 06 Ridgeline, 81 Mercedes SL
      12-22-2011 08:55 AM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by dl_sledding View Post
      Ummm... wow. IT'S A FREAKIN DIESEL! 295 foot pounds of torque out of a 2 litre engine??!! Holy crap, let's see any of the "domestic" (note - tongue in cheek using that term) automakers do that!

But it's really not worth getting into arguments with people like that... They do stupid way better than I do!
      Explorer Ecoboost does 270 ft-lbs with 87 octane. AND "EPA is good"
      ENGINE 2.0L/240-hp/270-lb-ft turbo DOHC 4-valve I-4

I don't get the diesel love, yea 40mpg, but $.80 a gallon more.

21. Swallow Doretti
      12-22-2011 10:06 AM #161
      When we were in Southern Africa last month, we saw quite a few of these trucks roaming around. These trucks make a lot of sense over there--there's a ton of Toyota Hiluxes driven for both work and personal usage, not to mention a fair number of Hyundai H100/Kia K2700s as well that are for work duty. VW needed a real truck to get into those markets, to get market share back from Toyota and get the jump on the Koreans, who will inevitably have to develop a similarly-sized pick up of their own. In places like Namibia, where German is more or less the second language, I could see this being huge, especially among the commercial fleets that rent pick-ups to predominantly German tourists.

I'm sure the same holds true for Brazil.

In the US, it's a tough sell. Truck buyers are immensely loyal, and the idea they'll switch from Chevrolet or Toyota to VW is hard to believe. Furthermore, the market for this size of pick-ups is small, and isn't necessarily showing growth. GM is taking a real risk bringing the new Colorado here. I can't see the profit-driven VWoA making the same gamble.

22. 12-22-2011 11:11 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      Everyone is stuck on $40k figure from OP. It's an add from some site, not VW pricing.
      I'm sure they are not dumb enough to price so high, nor dumb enough to think they will take over the truck market. There is enough of market for small trucks in US. People who want a bed and some tow capacity that don't want. A big.
      ass truck.
      I would deff look into one if they ever become available.
      As much as I would like to have one, it would be difficult for me to justify more than 30K for one. They keep it in the 25-27K area it will sell like hotcakes.
      Last edited by mdp; 12-22-2011 at 11:16 AM.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Tiguan SE, Prius C, Audi A5 Prestige, Harley Iron
      12-22-2011 11:54 AM #163
      I would buy one yesterday if they were available. I've come close to pulling the trigger on a beater pickup several times because I hate borrowing or renting a truck when i need one. A new Amarok tdi could be my next daily driver. Something I couldn't say about any other current new pickup offering.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      12-22-2011 12:13 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
      Do want.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      12-22-2011 01:10 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      Furthermore, the market for this size of pick-ups is small, and isn't necessarily showing growth. GM is taking a real risk bringing the new Colorado here. I can't see the profit-driven VWoA making the same gamble.
      I totally disagree. I think most people want or THINK they need an F150 but COULD get by perfectly well with a smaller alternative.

People just need to be convinced that a high MPG truck with a VW interior, excellent road manners, and a real payload capacity makes sense.

I think the subset of half ton owners that couldn't have their needs met by the Amarok is less than 50%, which makes it a huge market.

Until now though, I don't think VW's marketing is good at anything but marketing to people who are already in the VW demographic. Marketing a new demographic will be a whole different challenge.

Vehicles
      '86 Porsche 928S, '11 F-150 EB, '01 Audi S4
      12-22-2011 02:48 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      I totally disagree. I think most people want or THINK they need an F150 but COULD get by perfectly well with a smaller alternative.

People just need to be convinced that a high MPG truck with a VW interior, excellent road manners, and a real payload capacity makes sense.

I think the subset of half ton owners that couldn't have their needs met by the Amarok is less than 50%, which makes it a huge market.

Until now though, I don't think VW's marketing is good at anything but marketing to people who are already in the VW demographic. Marketing a new demographic will be a whole different challenge.
      You left out the other important factor, cost. Why would someone buy a smaller truck when you can get the big one for close to the same money? Compare the Ranger XLT to the F-150 XLT. The F-150 is a lot bigger, gets better mileage has tons more capabilities and only costs a little bit more money. Most buyers end up going with the bigger truck since it is a better value which means they buy the F-150/Ram/Silverado. Ford and Dodge both saw this and stopped the Ranger and Dakota. Why would a truck with a VW badge on the front not suffer a similar fate?

27. 12-25-2011 02:27 AM #167
      On Loveland pass in Colorado - are these available now?

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 TDI Jetta, 2010 Tiguan, 2001 Astro van
      12-25-2011 07:25 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by mike_A3 View Post
      Explorer Ecoboost does 270 ft-lbs with 87 octane. AND "EPA is good"
      ENGINE 2.0L/240-hp/270-lb-ft turbo DOHC 4-valve I-4

I don't get the diesel love, yea 40mpg, but $.80 a gallon more.
      Your Explorer is American crap!
      1/3 of highway deaths are caused by drunks.

The rest are caused by people who can't drive any better than a drunk.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-25-2011 08:06 AM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by Thinger View Post
      On Loveland pass in Colorado - are these available now?
      Of course not. Probably one brought up from Mexico or for manufacturer evaluation, not for sale.

I´ve seen a few here in Brazil. Big. Odd proportions. Sort of cool, though.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-25-2011 08:08 AM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by Vettes, Volvos and VWs View Post
      And why do you think that is? I´d drive one in a heartbeat, but don´t for a second think you´re not in the total minority.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      12-25-2011 08:37 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post

I agree with this if for no other reason than mileage. There's a huge gap in that metric in the us. The problem with small trucks is that not only can they cost similar money as a full size truck but they get similar gas mileage as well. If vw can price the amarok agressively with the small diesel i think it could do ok.

But i think swallow has a good point about loyalty which i believe is demonstrated by poor sales of the ridgeline which is marketed as a car-like equivalent to the standard truck. And if honda isn't selling a ton of these can vw? I know people are really taking notice of Vw because of the jetta and passat but it's questionable if the amarok would have a similar appeal to buyers in the us.

Vehicles
      12-25-2011 09:57 AM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
      You left out the other important factor, cost. Why would someone buy a smaller truck when you can get the big one for close to the same money? Compare the Ranger XLT to the F-150 XLT. The F-150 is a lot bigger, gets better mileage has tons more capabilities and only costs a little bit more money. Most buyers end up going with the bigger truck since it is a better value which means they buy the F-150/Ram/Silverado. Ford and Dodge both saw this and stopped the Ranger and Dakota. Why would a truck with a VW badge on the front not suffer a similar fate?
      Because the Ranger and Dakota are completely half assed hand-me-down products and the Amarok isn't.

A smaller truck will drive better, be more efficient, and easier to handle on and off road.

The Amarok offers better payload, far better fuel consumption, better off-road capability, and better road manners than any half ton quad cab. If you don't need the larger bed or greater than 10,000 lbs tow capacity of the full sized half tons, the Amarok is better in most respects.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      12-25-2011 10:05 AM #173
      I don't know why you guys want a Volkswagen pickup truck so badly.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      12-25-2011 10:18 AM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      I don't know why you guys want a Volkswagen pickup truck so badly.
      I want a 30 mpg truck with a good 4x4 system and decent payload/tow capacity and legit off-road capability (ie factory locking differentials).

6-speed manual is a nice bonus.

If Toyota brought a HiLux here or Chevy the new global Colorado, I'd be OK with that too. The VW just happens to be the best of the bunch at the moment.

Vehicles
      corrado 3ltr
      12-25-2011 11:13 AM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      $40,000 for that?

Sorry, but for that money I'm buying a 2009 of this.

thats a normal price for a vw over here in europe..

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast