Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011 VW Amarok for sale in the US of A, $40000.00

1. 12-25-2011 12:18 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by CMihalcheon View Post
      If you buy the glow-in-the-dark version, it also provides world peace.

2. 03-07-2012 12:09 PM #177
      Volkswagen has unveiled the Amarok Canyon concept at the Geneva Motor Show.

Designed for freestyle kayakers, the pickup has a Baladi Orange exterior with flared wheel arches and a 40mm lift kit. There's also auxiliary lights, electrically-deployable side steps and tinted taillights. Out back, the bed holds two carbon fiber kayaks, a set of paddles and all the related accessories.

The cabin has two-tone leather seats, a three-spoke steering wheel and auxiliary gauges.

Power comes from a 2.0-liter TDI engine that develops 180 PS (132 kW / 178 hp) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque. It is backed up by a 4MOTION all-wheel drive system and a locking rear differential.
      http://www.worldcarfans.com/11203064...iled-in-geneva

Last edited by sp_wh; 03-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-07-2012 12:14 PM #178
      This gives me a woody.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-07-2012 12:19 PM #179
      I'd rock the hell out of that. Exactly as pictured, too - they need that orange on the Touareg, stat.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

03-07-2012 12:30 PM #180
      I saw a silver one (from the original post) in Dallas crossing under 121/Hebron parkway one day.

I first saw it i was like WTF? no way! and then they crossed right in front of me... no time to take a pic though... Probably from Mexico i assume

Cool story right?

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      03-07-2012 12:50 PM #181
      Man, they really should sell that here...

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      03-07-2012 12:51 PM #182
      I don't know why you guys do this to yourselves.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      BMW E92 325i ´09, VW Polo 9N3 '07
      03-07-2012 12:55 PM #183

9. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon 4motion, 02 Jetta 1.8T, 10 CC 3.6 4motion
      03-07-2012 01:00 PM #184
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, bring it to the west and it will sell like crazy. I want one so so so so bad. Stupid chicken tax
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia GLI Aluminum trim for Sale Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      03-07-2012 01:03 PM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I'd rock the hell out of that. Exactly as pictured, too - they need that orange on the Touareg, stat.

I would have bought this over our new 12' Touareg TDi
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      03-07-2012 01:11 PM #186
      "Designed for freestyle kayakers"??

Now there's something with broad market appeal.

Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      03-07-2012 01:26 PM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by Vettes, Volvos and VWs View Post
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, bring it to the west and it will sell like crazy. I want one so so so so bad. Stupid chicken tax
      Mexico is part of the Western hemisphere, last I checked.
      "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
      - Plato

Vehicles
      04 R32
      03-07-2012 01:35 PM #189
      And why don't we get this here in the states? Really, i would like to know. Does VW not think they will make a profit due to US truck sales?

14. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-07-2012 01:39 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by Turq View Post
      Mexico is part of the Western hemisphere, last I checked.
      You caught me, how about North West?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post
      And why don't we get this here in the states? Really, i would like to know. Does VW not think they will make a profit due to US truck sales?
      Chicken tax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
      The Chicken Tax directly curtailed importation of German-built Volkswagen vans in configurations that qualified them as light trucks—that is, commercial vans and pickups
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia GLI Aluminum trim for Sale Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      03-07-2012 01:43 PM #191
      It's really too bad this won't make it to the US. I would buy this but not because it's a VW but because it's a light DIESEL pickup. I don't care if it costs as much as a full size truck (which is one reason why it won't sell well here). I don't want something that big.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      03-07-2012 01:58 PM #192
      Now that is a very interesting read. Answers some questions I had too, thanks for the info. More fuel to my fire as to why US cars suck, to me. That is for another thread though.
      Why doesn't VW move the assembly to the US? I can't beleive Ford has not lobbied to get this tax abolished or add some loophole so they don't have to import their trucks.

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      03-07-2012 02:09 PM #193
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, bring it to the west and it will sell like crazy.
      No, it probably wouldn't. You guys get yourselves way too worked up over these things VW doesn't bring here.
      77 F100, 83 244, 94 540i, 91 Stealth

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      03-07-2012 02:11 PM #194
      So... build it in the US.

19. 03-07-2012 02:18 PM #195
      how could you say you want a piece of American market, but not consider making this available in the states ?!

the only thing i think they're hesitant is that the pick-up truck segment is dominated by ford/GM

they may just be content w/ tiguan and toureg

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 02:22 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by deagle View Post
      how could you say you want a piece of American market, but not consider making this available in the states ?!

the only thing i think they're hesitant is that the pick-up truck segment is dominated by ford/GM
      except that both toyota and nissan have proven that a non-domestic brand can do well in the full-size PU market....toyota trucks aren't cheap, but many have swtiched over to the brand for quality and power, not to mention looks.

granted a VW PU would not be anywhere near as relaible as a toyota, but I think VW needs to seriously consider entering this market if it want's to sell the number of vehicles in NA it is attempting to do.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

21. 03-07-2012 02:36 PM #197
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post

granted a VW PU would not be anywhere near as relaible as a toyota, but I think VW needs to seriously consider entering this market if it want's to sell the number of vehicles in NA it is attempting to do.
      Exactly!

Vehicles
      S2000
      03-07-2012 02:40 PM #198
      except that both toyota and nissan have proven that a non-domestic brand can do well in the full-size PU market....toyota trucks aren't cheap, but many have swtiched over to the brand for quality and power, not to mention looks.

Do well but only have a sliver of market share? Some of you are so blinded by the badge on the front that you cant see straight. This would not sell well in the west, and if it came it probably would be 40k+ and no availiable diesel. Theres no point of it over the more capable workhorse domestic trucks, which will slide in less expensive than the Amarok. Is it cool looking? Hell effing yes it is. Is it awesome that it comes in a manual tranny with a diesel? Yep, pretty damn awesome. Is it something that would sell like crazy on NA shores? Nope, not even close. Alot goes into brining it here. Federalized crash tests, emissions, etc. If VWAG thought it could make a profit here, it would be here. They know alot more than we do.

23. 03-07-2012 02:41 PM #199
      They sell it in South America and Mexico, which is in North America. I would say that is a part of the American market.
      Last edited by Air-over-water; 03-07-2012 at 03:44 PM.

24. 03-07-2012 02:46 PM #200

granted a VW PU would not be anywhere near as relaible as a toyota,

I wouldn't be so sure about that, VW knew what they are up against, and from what i read in some forums in South America there are already a good sample of high mileage Amaroks being used by many businesses, ...but, let's wait...

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 02:58 PM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by Fisticuff View Post
      Do well but only have a sliver of market share? Some of you are so blinded by the badge on the front that you cant see straight. This would not sell well in the west, and if it came it probably would be 40k+ and no availiable diesel. Theres no point of it over the more capable workhorse domestic trucks, which will slide in less expensive than the Amarok. Is it cool looking? Hell effing yes it is. Is it awesome that it comes in a manual tranny with a diesel? Yep, pretty damn awesome. Is it something that would sell like crazy on NA shores? Nope, not even close. Alot goes into brining it here. Federalized crash tests, emissions, etc. If VWAG thought it could make a profit here, it would be here. They know alot more than we do.
      well, I made the mistake of buying a new american truck years ago, and I will never own one again (as I've posted the story here many times).

I'm a VW fan for sure, and for me +$40K for a truck is not an issue. I just spend $46K on a new touareg TDI. hell, I wanted a T4 back when I bought my passat, but I was a little too late to get one.

I'm not badge blind, I'm a pragmatist. If VW built this in the US, alongside other models, they could make it more cost effective, and be competative....cars like the new new beetle amaze me that people will spend nearly $30K on a loaded one...so I have no doubt that VW could sell enough PU's to expand the brand offerings and sell a reasonable amount of units to be profitable.
      Larry

Vehicles
      Tiguan SE, Prius C, Audi A5 Prestige, Harley Iron
      03-07-2012 03:27 PM #202
      well, I made the mistake of buying a new american truck years ago, and I will never own one again (as I've posted the story here many times).

I'm a VW fan for sure, and for me +$40K for a truck is not an issue. I just spend $46K on a new touareg TDI. hell, I wanted a T4 back when I bought my passat, but I was a little too late to get one.

I'm not badge blind, I'm a pragmatist. If VW built this in the US, alongside other models, they could make it more cost effective, and be competative....cars like the new new beetle amaze me that people will spend nearly $30K on a loaded one...so I have no doubt that VW could sell enough PU's to expand the brand offerings and sell a reasonable amount of units to be profitable.
      I would buy one. I could really use a truck but none of the domestic makers provide anything I want enough to push me over the edge. The Eco-boost comes closest but for the money not close enough. I'll take an Amarok TDI please.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-07-2012 03:38 PM #203

they may just be content w/ tiguan and toureg
      How many times does it need to be gone over? All the reasons are right here in this very thread.

I'd buy one myself, but let's not pretend this is anything but a bunch of guys who want a diesel truck. We're not a market, we're a statistical blip.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-07-2012 03:38 PM #204
      Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post
      No, they KNOW they will not make a profit on US truck sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      So... build it in the US.
      Easy to say that, but I wouldn't bet a cool couple billion on a small slice of a shrinking market.

Quote Originally Posted by utahvwman View Post
      I would buy one. I could really use a truck but none of the domestic makers provide anything I want enough to push me over the edge. The Eco-boost comes closest but for the money not close enough. I'll take an Amarok TDI please.
      Do you already own a truck or serious SUV of any description?
      Last edited by Turbio!; 03-07-2012 at 03:41 PM.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      03-07-2012 03:41 PM #205
      No, they KNOW they will not make a profit on US truck sales.
      Tcl is always amusing. Theres nothing like some kid in his moms basement who thinks he has better business sense than hundreds of corporate financial advisors

30. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-07-2012 04:02 PM #206
      I'm just hoping Canada gets it, but I honestly don't see it viable in the USA, granted it's a much larger market to tap than Canada, it just seems logistically more difficult. Wonder where those 2000 Amaroks went that were sitting in that US port awhile back, my bet is South America or Mexico

Vehicles
      Tiguan SE, Prius C, Audi A5 Prestige, Harley Iron
      03-07-2012 04:11 PM #207
      Do you already own a truck or serious SUV of any description?
      Not currently, hence the need for something with more utiltiy.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      03-07-2012 04:14 PM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by utahvwman View Post
      Not currently, hence the need for something with more utiltiy.
      Thhere are many great options in the us right now.

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      03-07-2012 04:17 PM #209
      Ahh, the whole "One was bad so they're all bad" Mentality.
      77 F100, 83 244, 94 540i, 91 Stealth

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      03-07-2012 04:21 PM #210
      Hahaha, designed FOR freestlye kayakers. Now THERES a market for ya.

I said I would buy it back in the early pages but the more I see it, the less I think I would buy it. I dont know, a little guy like that for $40k? Even $35k is too much. I like the concept of a light duty diesel pickup more than this particular one. I dont know. Just something about it now that I just dont care for.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast