Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: How often does everyone replace their helmet?

Voters
    22. You may not vote on this poll
    • After two years

2 9.09%
    • After three years

3 13.64%
    • After four years

2 9.09%
    • After five or more years

15 68.18%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often does everyone replace their helmet?

Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      04-29-2012 01:13 AM #36
      A standard engineering factor of safety is 2x. Get lawyers involved and you get 3x. Get the marketing guys involved and it goes to 4x. So as long as you do not damage your helmet from crashes or dropping it severely, you can take that 5 yr life and double it. I buy $500+ helmets, there is no way I am retiring them in 2-3 years.

10 years is a more reasonable life for the helmet. I also do not leave the helmet locked on my bike in the sun. Easy enough to take it with me into work or where ever I may be. Plus that way it cannot be stolen.
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

2. 04-29-2012 07:30 AM #37
      I notice some mention how they like their helmets to be quiet. Now I fully believe in to each their own whatever they choose but I hate riding with an enclosed helmet that blocks as much sound as possible.

It makes me feel like I'm riding in the car. (yes, I do wear a helmet)

3. Senior Member
      04-29-2012 08:44 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      I notice some mention how they like their helmets to be quiet. Now I fully believe in to each their own whatever they choose but I hate riding with an enclosed helmet that blocks as much sound as possible.
      a) you really like wind noise
      b) you never ride in cold weather
      c) You ride a cruiser/goldwing or something with incredible wind protection already

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

4. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      04-29-2012 11:16 AM #39
      I have several helmets that are old enough to be retired; I just don't know how to dispose of them other than just dumping them in the trash... Which is probably the answer.

I see 10 year-old helmets for sale on Craigslist all the time for $50. How is your head not worth more even if there are helmets out there that are far better for as little as $100?

5. 04-29-2012 03:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      a) you really like wind noise
      b) you never ride in cold weather
      c) You ride a cruiser/goldwing or something with incredible wind protection already

a) I like to be able to hear the bike.
      b) As long as it's in the 40's I'll ride and granted if it's real cold the ears do like the added warmth.
      c) Right now I just have a 63 Honda Dream as I sold my 71 CB750 a couple months ago but I'm looking for another one. (Again to each their own but I would never own a bike that wasn't air cooled). Coolant systems muffle out all the mechanical sounds.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-29-2012 04:31 PM #41

It makes me feel like I'm riding in the car. (yes, I do wear a helmet)
      I'll take a helmet with good airflow (noise) and earplugs (yes, I wear them), especially in the summer. It gets disgustingly hot down here in a black helmet in the sun...

My current helmet is coming up on three years old. I figure I will likely get a fresh one this coming winter, something with better padding and less airflow, wear that in winter and this one in summer, replace at five years. At $200 a five year lifespan is acceptable to me.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

7. Senior Member
      04-30-2012 12:18 AM #42
      a) I like to be able to hear the bike.
      Well, my bike sounds like a blender with gravel in it, so I wear ear buds and play music (fwiw I can still hear the engine fine, and it has the stock exhaust).
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      04-30-2012 07:22 AM #43
      How often? When I feel like it.. basically.

I've had three full face helmets in ~17 years of riding. The first was a hand-me-down that didn't fit for ****. I replaced that when I got the money (and brains) to do so.

The second was a quality SNELL rated HJC. That I just replaced last year as it was getting a little dodgy and the date code was well over 5 years old. I've been eyeing a track day lately and they require < 5 y/o date code. I wish I could claim I did it out of interest in my own safety, but I didn't.

Also the new lid was on sale. Off-season clearances ftw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12